Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
dznybound
Mouseketeer

OT: Baby Formula Returnable?

I am sorry that this is off-topic; but you guys have always been so helpful.

I am a new mom and I bought 3 bottles of formula to supplement breastfeeding. My baby tried one of the bottles of formula and will not take it. I tried to take the two unopened/sealed bottles back to the store but the manager refused to return it. The store did not have signs up warning that you can't return formula. Is it a law that baby formula is not returnable? Is it suppose to be common knowledge that you can not return baby formula - because I've never heard of such a thing.

Last edited by dznybound; 12-16-2008 at 08:35 PM.
dznybound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
mickeymouse1017
I am such a Disney nerd I am such a Disney nerd
I guess that I just got too excited! Sorry everyone!

I would try and speak with another manager. I had to return formula (like you, unopened/sealed) because my DD had to be changed to a new formula due to acid reflux. I didn't have a problem. Did you have the receipt showing that you got the formula from them? If it is not a posted rule, I would pursue this with the store.
mickeymouse1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
roliepolieoliefan
DIS Veteran

I returned unopened formula after my DD was switched to Nutramigen.

I know you must have your receipt due to alot of the Wick recipients getting the formula for free then trying to return it to the store for money.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #4
atksn
Mouseketeer

You could always sell it on Craigslist or Ebay- or donate it to a shelter. That is what I always did with the samples that they would send me in the mail.

2006- WDW
2007- DLR
2009- WDW
2011- WDW
2012- WDW
2014- WDW
Oct 2014- DLR
atksn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

You need a receipt to return formulas.Any opened or cracked seals are also unaccepted.I can tell you as a former grocery mgr, that because formula is like $29 per can and WIC recipients get it free that many (especially this time of year) try to return the formula for the Cash.BTW,I am not criticizing WIC recipients.Also alot of people get the free cans of formula coupons and also try to return them for the cash.If they won't take it back with the receipt ,maybe the store has a policy in place( ask to see it ), or maybe you just had an uniformed mgr.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

I've never heard of not being able to return unopened formula.

However, did you try giving the formula to your baby again? When my DS had to be supplemented with formula, he wouldn't take it at first. After a few tries, he got used to the taste and was fine with it.

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughinplace199 View Post
I've never heard of not being able to return unopened formula.

However, did you try giving the formula to your baby again? When my DS had to be supplemented with formula, he wouldn't take it at first. After a few tries, he got used to the taste and was fine with it.
Like I said alot of places won't take it back without the receipt, and I just go back from grocery shopping and now our grocery chain LOCKS UP the formulas at the front desk so you have to go there to get it.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
FoundMyPrince
DIS Veteran

Did you try to exchange it for another brand? The store might be more willing to exchange it rather than just return it for money. I had to do it a couple times with my children when we needed to switch brands.
FoundMyPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

My DD switched formulas 4 times (after breastfeeding too!) and I was having to return formula for another kind. I learned my lesson after I went to Walmart one time and didnt have my receipt. They gave me the Wick story too and I was shocked. I had to give that can away and kept my receipts for sure after that. They wouldnt even let me exchange that can for another type.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

I bought formula too with plans on bottle feeding but instead I am breastfeeding. So I never kept reciepts I have a ton of formula that I wont be using now. I tried to return it and they wouldn't let me either. I'll just freecycle it I guess. its taking up room in my kitchen that I could use!

The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. - 11
HelenePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #11
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

There have been many scams involving expired formula and people attempting to exchange it. The dates get changed on the cans and are returned for exchange. Most of the out of date cans are fished out of dumpsters from storage facilities where many sales reps keep stock and receive deliveries. Many stores will not accept returns on it due to the scams.
familyoffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #12
PoohHappens
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenePA View Post
I bought formula too with plans on bottle feeding but instead I am breastfeeding. So I never kept reciepts I have a ton of formula that I wont be using now. I tried to return it and they wouldn't let me either. I'll just freecycle it I guess. its taking up room in my kitchen that I could use!
I wanted to congratulate you on breastfeeding. I am glad that has worked for you. May I suggest that food shelves and womens shelters may have need for the formula too. Although most people qualify for wic who might be using a food shelf, not all do or they have not gotten set up yet, especially at the women's shelters where they have often recently left home and now have many needs. And yes unfortunately there is a racket with formula. From samples to wic etc.......The saddest part of all is that some people are watering down the formula to have extra left to sell. This is actually very harmful to the infants.
1995-Port Orleans 2000-All Star Sports
2003-Caribbean Beach 2004-All Star Movies
2005 Port Orleans Riverside 4/2007 Saratoga Springs
8/2007 POFQ 11/2008-off site
10/2011 Bonnet Creek
me- DH- DS- DD
PoohHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
PoohHappens
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznybound View Post
I am sorry that this is off-topic; but you guys have always been so helpful.

I am a new mom and I bought 3 bottles of formula to supplement breastfeeding. My baby tried one of the bottles of formula and will not take it. I tried to take the two unopened/sealed bottles back to the store but the manager refused to return it. The store did not have signs up warning that you can't return formula. Is it a law that baby formula is not returnable? Is it suppose to be common knowledge that you can not return baby formula - because I've never heard of such a thing.
I would have thought that with a receipt they would have taken it back too. Congrats on your baby and breastfeeding. I hope you are able to resolve the issue and find another product to meet your needs.
1995-Port Orleans 2000-All Star Sports
2003-Caribbean Beach 2004-All Star Movies
2005 Port Orleans Riverside 4/2007 Saratoga Springs
8/2007 POFQ 11/2008-off site
10/2011 Bonnet Creek
me- DH- DS- DD
PoohHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #14
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohHappens View Post
I wanted to congratulate you on breastfeeding. I am glad that has worked for you. May I suggest that food shelves and womens shelters may have need for the formula too. Although most people qualify for wic who might be using a food shelf, not all do or they have not gotten set up yet, especially at the women's shelters where they have often recently left home and now have many needs. And yes unfortunately there is a racket with formula. From samples to wic etc.......The saddest part of all is that some people are watering down the formula to have extra left to sell. This is actually very harmful to the infants.
Thank you. I'm glad it worked out too. the cost of formula is one of the reasons I'm bfing this time around. The cost of formula is down right scary! I really am enjoying it.. I never in a million years thought I would. I need to ask around and find a food pantry. We've never been in need of one so I"m not even sure where one is around me. Heck I dont even know if my small small small town has one

The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. - 11
HelenePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #15
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

Also, if you can't return the formula to the store and you don't need it, you might want to give it to your pediatrician's office. When we suspected DS had a milk allergy, my ped wanted to put him on Nutramigen. I was bf'ing at the time, but supplementing with formula. Since it took a few days for my insurance co to approve the Rx for Nutramigen, my ped gave me enough to last until we could get it from the pharmacy. When DS turned 1 and we were done with formula, I gave my unused formula to the ped's office. They were very grateful.

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: