Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Alice_on_WONDERland
Why is a raven like a writing desk? Yes, your majesty!

Mama's Got Her Groove Back! Now Let's Go Crusin'!

Welcome to my pre-trip report. Sit back, relax... It's gonna be a long story!

Now you may be wondering about the title. Let me just explain. No, it's not just a cute little title to catch your attention, Mama (me) really got her groove back and is celebrating with her family.

Here's the back story, which is the whole reason we're taking this trip:

In May of 2008, I, aka "Alice," (whose name in real life is Harmony), was informed by my doctors that I had a golf-ball sized mass in my chest. Long story short, 12 weeks later I was hospitalized for 5 days, during which the surgeons removed that tumor along with my spleen. It was not until another 10 days following my discharge from the hospital that my final diagnosis was NO CANCER!!! For 14 weeks of 2008 I, along with my wonderful husband and son, was preparing for a long-haul of cancer treatments. It apprears as if the good Lord above had different plans for my life, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Our happy family

Ok, enough of the sappy stuff! I am now fully recovered and back to living life as normal. Throughout the entire health ordeal I told my husband (repeatedly) that once we made it through it all we were going on VACATION! Although at the time we hadn't decided where we would go, I remember laying in that horrible hospital bed dreaming of crystal clear waters and beautiful white beaches. Then it hit me - let's take a cruise! But not any old cruise would do. This situation called for the nothing but the best for me and my family. It didn't take long - maybe 10 seconds - and that big, bright light bulb went off in my head...DISNEY CRUISE! After all, what would be better for our sweet 4 year old son than to see the Mouse!

Let the planning begin! I must admit that I have become a compulsive trip planner from the first moment on Disney Cruise Line's website. *Is there a 12-step rehab plan for trip planning addicts? I know I'm not the only one...*

We will set sail Feb. 22, 2009 on a 4 day trip to Nassau and Castaway Cay. Ohhh...I hope and pray that those beautiful beaches are just as beautiful in real life as the pictures...

To add icing to the (birthday) cake, on the 23rd I will be celebrating my 30th birthday aboard the ship! This trip just keeps getting better!

So here are the logistical facts about our trip:

Sat. Feb. 21 - fly from Toledo, OH to Orlando, FL

Sun. Feb 22 - BOARD THAT WONDERful SHIP, BABY!

* the Exotic Rasul and Palo Champagne brunch are in here somewhere... *

Thurs. Feb. 26 - be pulled kicking and screaming from that WONDERful ship, then drive down to Port St. Lucie to meet up with family

Fri. Feb. 27 - fly from Orlando, FL to Detroit, MI (and hope that someone is there to pick us up!)

Sat. Feb. 28 - start posting photos to my trip report and go through post-trip withdrawls...

So that my friends, is the beginning of our next adventure together as a family. The bad stuff is behind us, now we've got so much to look forward to. Each of us really deserves this vacation! But what I look forward to the most is a solid week of family time. To me, there is nothing better. I value each moment we have together. I can't wait until we make memories that will last throughout our lifetime!

Mama's Got Her Groove Back Trip Report
Alice_on_WONDERland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

I can attest to the fact that a Disney cruise is great for mind, body and soul. In the midst of breast cancer treatment, we were fortunate enough to go on a cruise and it was truly magical and wonderful for my "mental health".

Congrats on the great diagnosis and enjoy your cruise.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

sounds like a great trip planned.
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Alice_on_WONDERland

[QUOTE=disneyfaninaz;29164648]I can attest to the fact that a Disney cruise is great for mind, body and soul. In the midst of breast cancer treatment, we were fortunate enough to go on a cruise and it was truly magical and wonderful for my "mental health".QUOTE]

Congrats to YOU! I am amazed and inspired by those who have gone through the treatment process and come out stronger on the other side. Keep up the good health!

Thank you for your comment, it touches my heart.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
PippyLatte
Earning My Ears

What a great outlook you have - enjoy your trip!
PippyLatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
Alice_on_WONDERland

Thanks PippyLatte - I sure will! I'm getting more excited by the day!

Old 12-26-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
Alice_on_WONDERland

Christmas is over! Let the obsessive trip-planning commence!

As I peacefully slept in my cozy-warm bed this morning, I dreamed - true story - that I was in our stateroom on the Wonder, planning my room service breakfast order. Visions of sugar plums dancing in my head were replaced with sugar-coated donuts and bagels slathered with cream cheese. Ahhh, the high life...

Truly, I am so excited about this trip that I dream about it quite a bit! I talk about it constantly (much to the chagrin of my family members), I lurk on the DIS boards all day long, and my PassPorter follows me where ever I go.

-Again, I feel the need to repeat my desperate plea for someone to grab me by the hand and pull me into a 12-step rehab program for obsessive trip planning. But somehow I feel as if I'm at home among friends on these boards.

Here's what's gone down since I last wrote:

*Flights to and from Florida: booked

*First (of many) bag packed: check

*DCL show on Travel Channel: dvr'ed and watched to many times to count

Here's what I still have to do:

*find a rock-bottom deal on a rental car

*book the night-before-the-cruise hotel room

*locate my DH's birth certificate - this should probably be #1 on my list!

*make my FE

*purchase FE gifts. I've been shopping on-line quite a bit, I just have to make a decision!

Well, that's about it for now. Don't worry - I'll be back! We're under the two month mark here friends, I'll be back quite often!

Have a safe and wonderful New Year!

Old 01-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

SO glad you are all well!.... Cant wait to read more. Oh and I too would need a 12 step program. My family and friends all think Im a nut also for planning and obsessing over the MOUSE lol
Old 01-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
disneydarling07
Found out how to get one
I have lists of my lists

Aaahhh!!!

OMG!! Harmony!!! I had no idea of your "back story"!!
I am sooo glad things are all okay now!

Looks like I can give you a hug too when we meet. Why do I have a feeling we are going to be two big sobbing fools when we finally get together on the ship?!!
disneydarling07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Alice_on_WONDERland

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydarling07 View Post
OMG!! Harmony!!! I had no idea of your "back story"!!
I am sooo glad things are all okay now!

Looks like I can give you a hug too when we meet. Why do I have a feeling we are going to be two big sobbing fools when we finally get together on the ship?!!
Yeah, baby! I'm all better now! Now let the crusing and partying and hugging and sobbing and EATING and DRINKING and being merry begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
SO glad you are all well!.... Cant wait to read more. Oh and I too would need a 12 step program. My family and friends all think Im a nut also for planning and obsessing over the MOUSE lol
Hey Drea! How's it going, girl? I thought of you this weekend as I shopped for little mini bottles to put in the FE's!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

LOL I love when all my Dis friends and "real" life friends tell me they think of me when they buy alcohol LOL.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
CapnJackGroupie
Mouseketeer

Oh, you & your beautiful family deserve this trip!! I'm so excited for you! I also need to join a 12-step program...we went on our DCL trip in 3/'07 and I STILL live vicariously thru all of you and your TRs!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
Alice_on_WONDERland

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
LOL I love when all my Dis friends and "real" life friends tell me they think of me when they buy alcohol LOL.
Is there such a thing as "real" life? I spend so much time on these boards I forget sometimes...

Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #14
Alice_on_WONDERland

So Much Is NOT Happening...

Hello Friends,

I must admit, I am down in the dumps! Here in frozen-over-farmland Ohio, we are in the beginning stages of a blizzard. Temps will drop below zero for the next several days, wind chills will cut through flesh, and snow will blow for miles. I keep reminding myself I'll be on a tropical island in a month, but that seems like forever as I trek across a barren college campus day after day... I've had enough of building snowmen - I want to build sandcastles!

Plus all my friends from our meet page are receiving their docs in the mail, have all their FE gifts ready to go, know their cabin numbers, and have mostly all the details squared away. Me, not so much! Add to that a sinus infection from hell , and you've lived a day in the life of midwesterner desperate to fly the (literal) coop!

*Insert geographical note here: we don't live on a full-fledged working farm, but they're all around us...we are surrounded on all four sides by cornfields, or as I like to call them in the winter-snowmobile super highways!

If anyone can pull me out of such trip planning despair, it is you, dear DIS board friends...

Old 01-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #15
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

Alice - glad to hear you are cancer free! That is wonderful.

Enjoy your trip. Can't wait to read more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: