Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #151
MegansMom
Always Ready to Go Back with my "Minnie" Megan Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Wow! Now this is all part of her condition, right, the heightened senses?
Yep---she is affected negatively by all her senses---any stimuli she receives through them she is very oversensitive to---can't stand loud or sudden noises (will seek out and crave calm/soothing sounds), strong or unappealing smells (will seek out pleasing scents), unusual tastes (will stick to foods that she knows and deems acceptable), bright lights or sunshine (will want her sunglasses on most of the time when outdoors), and VERY oversensitive to anything that might impact her through her sense of touch---tags, seams in socks, uninvited touch from others, closeness or proximity to others......the list goes on and on and on! We have been working through OT on this for several years---it is not something that will ever go away, but she is learning how to cope with these stressors so that she can function normally throughout the day---especially in her school environment. That is why I am so in "love" with her preschool teachers---they have helped us so much by continuing how we treat this at home in school so that she has gone from a child who isolates herself in the classroom because she can't handle all the sensory stress, to functioning fairly normally with all the children in much more social ways. Megan used to "get through" the day--she would become so overwhelmed by all these oncoming stressors and would "meltdown" over and over again. It was very difficult to help her deal with it, and not just dissolve into a puddle of Mommy-muck because it was so hard to watch her have to deal with this. We are now VERY aware of what is going to cause issues with her, have helped her learn LOTS of coping mechanisms, and know exactly how to approach and handle almost any kind of situation before it becomes a meltdown--so our days have become MUCH better! Since she needed so much help and daily assistance from me, it just sealed the deal for me to stay home and help her---I can't imagine how she would be doing if I had to work right now and send her to all day care---she wouldn't be doing as well for sure!! That is why I feel so abundantly blessed to be able to stay with her for right now!

OH TK---I just realized I went rambling on and on---and this is your TR--not the Lapuette thread!!! So sorry to be so OT!!! My apologies!

June 2012 PTR--click here! July 2011 PTR-- click here! September 2009 PTR/TR --click here!June 2008 PTR/TR---click here!
Past Trips: 1978:Offsite 1980:Offsite 1982: Poly 1987: Poly 1992:Dixie Landings May 2001:Offsite Sep 2006: BWV Nov 2007:CSR/SSR June 2008: OKW Sep 2009: POFQ July 2011: AKV June 2012: OKW!!!
DH (36) ME (35) DD(8)
Old 01-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #152
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

No problems, about the ramble my dear! This is semi trip related, as it deals with how Megan deals with Disney!

I'm so glad she has such a nurturing school environment. It must make a world of difference.

And now back to our regularly scheduled trip report programming
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #153
TarzansKat

Royal Discourse Nine - Hang Gliding, Royal Style

So, happily full of Disney pretzel of the best variety, we all head back to Soarin', being within the Fastpass window. Nana decides that she's not going to ride, so we pick a designated area for her to sit and wait for us. Fortunately, there's quite a few little spots to sit outside of the exit area, so that worked out very nicely.

Mom, HRH, and I head to join the fastpass line, and the CM stops us to measure HRH, which is fine. First of all, I knew from testing it out earlier that he was tall enough to ride, and secondly, they're just doing their job which I can appreciate.

We did have a bit of a wait in the fastpass line, and a boy behind us ended up striking up a little conversation. I'd put him somewhere in the 8-10 range. Turns out he had the exact same sneakers as HRH. I guess those Snotrockets are popular. Anyway, we talked to him and his mother and grandmother for a little bit while we were waiting for the line to move.

I remember getting to the front area and getting directed into particular rows. I was quite grateful that we were placed all the way in the back, because I knew from the boards that meant I wouldn't really be too high off the ground, and I thought for HRH, that was good as well.

Now, speaking of HRH. How do you explain a ride like Soarin' to a three year old in terms he can understand that makes it sound fun?

We called it a movie.

Yup. A movie. Because in essence, that's what it is.

I remember when the intro video started and all I could think of was Tink. Except nobody in my crowd was whispering about who the narrator was.

I was nervous, guys. But I put on the brave front. If there's one thing that I try above else to do in regard to traveling and theme parks and rides, etc, it's not pass on my neuroses to my son. He can develop his own, savvy? But I don't want him to be afraid of something because he senses that I am, or he knows Mama doesn't like it. So I had on my game face. ARR!

We got into our row and got everyone buckled in. It's too bad I didn't think to take a picture of HRH in that seat because he just looked so darn cute. Mom and I were both busy telling him how much fun he would have, so I ignored the queasiness in my stomach. And just to make sure HRH would be okay, we sat him in between me and Mom. Which means I had a perfect stranger on my other side. A very nice one at that, but I didn't want to scare him off by using my death grip on the arm rest. And HRH took up the other one. So there's TK with all her neuroses and no arm rests. :::sigh:::

Finally, we take off! WHOA!

How exciting! How wonderful. I have to admit, it was a little out of the box for me in the way of rides. I had a good time, but whenever we would dip or sway to one side or the other it was hard for me to focus on the beautiful image in front of me. And no joke, I've had these issues since I was a kid. I can get vertigo in an IMAX, depending on the type of film.

But the imagery, and the smells! Oh, so beautiful!

And watching HRH watch it.

Priceless.

All in all, I was so very, very glad that I decided to do this for the first time with him and my Mom. It's a very special memory for me. Now the only part HRH wasn't fond of was the very end. He just does not like loud noises at all. Hence the reason we avoid Disney fireworks at all costs unless they're 1. from a distance or 2. he's sleeping. So that part was a little too much for him. Other than that, I think he had a good time! He didn't cry or complain or anything like that, I think he was as mesmerized by the imagery as I was.

I was so proud of him.

And me, too.

Up Next - A Royal Tour of Several Countries...In One Afternoon
Old 01-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #154
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I am so proud of you and HRH, too! I know I have said it before but Soarin' is my all-time favorite ride at Epcot!!! I just think it is just such a great experience with the film, the smells (can't you still smell the oranges and pine trees), and the music (that music is just the best)!

I am afraid of heights, too, and I have no problem putting a death grip on the armrest even when there is a stranger next to me.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #155
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I am so proud of you and HRH, too! I know I have said it before but Soarin' is my all-time favorite ride at Epcot!!! I just think it is just such a great experience with the film, the smells (can't you still smell the oranges and pine trees), and the music (that music is just the best)!
I was really amazed by the smells. And since hang gliding is something I HIGHLY doubt I'll partake in ever, it was nice to have that simulated experience.

Quote:
I am afraid of heights, too, and I have no problem putting a death grip on the armrest even when there is a stranger next to me.
Unfortunately, he had already claimed that armrest, and rather gently too. I thought grabbing his hand may be a bit much given that we hadn't been properly introduced.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #156
TarzansKat

Royal Discourse Ten - The Royal Defection

Just a little disclaimer.

We become a little less royal and a little more pirate in this chapter. And Heidi, if you were guessing that I defected about midway through the second day, then you win!

So after Soarin', we decided to make our way through the countries. We went left. For a few reasons. 1. Mexico is home of the margarita and I was in sore need. 2. Mexico has a cute ride with Donald in it that I thought HRH would like.

That's about it. That's why we went left. No great scheme, no most people go right, just decided based on those simple facts to go left. And on our way to go on the ride in Mexico with the Three Caballeros, we got a little sidetracked by these.

That was all kinds of fun. With HRH playing, and posing in the huge sombrero, once on his own and once with my mom, those made for some great memories, and excellent pictures.

Of course, HRH loved the ride because Donald was in it. He's turning into quite the fan. I hadn't been on it since it was updated and I thought it was fine. No big profound statements here, just that we were trying to do some things that would be fun for HRH before nap time and crankiness hit.

Oh, how close that was.

I almost feel like we should include the tick tick tick from my September trip report, it's almost like that the way the cranky sneaks up on you.

Now, Nana opted not to go on this ride as well, so we met back up with her outside.

And bless my mother. Without even having to ask, she decides she's going to buy me my margarita. Bless, bless, bless her. And Nana decides to join me. She's a little pirate too, savvy? I got the lime with salt (yes, I like tradition), and Nana, that royal pirate lady, she got the Fiesta!!!

Well, with a little libation, there's no reason not to head over to China and do some shopping. Let me also add that today, it was cold. And I mean cold in the sense that it's not New England cold (currently snowing here right now and we're lucky if it's hit 10 in the past few days) but it was cold for Florida, cold for Disney, and I was feeling it. The fact was that it was also windy. And Epcot has a lot of big open space, so when you get a good wind and a little drop in temperature, let's just say that an alcoholic beverage does the body good.

Moving on.

To China. Where I had no intention of buying anything. At. All.

Least of all, a purse! I can't tell you how many purses I've bought in China. That Mom has bought in China. That Nana has bought for us in China. You just don't want to know, trust me.

But then, I saw it.

So cute.

So little.

SO ME!!!!

AND, so inexpensive! Grand total for this little cute, just a little over $10 with tax. Heaven! Go me! I wasn't planning on any souvenirs on this trip, not one, not at all. I'd already been in September. Didn't need to go there. Ha. Ha. Ha. Just you wait until our last day.

Now after I made my purchase, Mom and Nana were still getting their royal shop on, so I decided to take HRH out to the little courtyard where they keep the puppets. We had a lot of fun playing with those. I asked him if he wanted to make a mask, but he said no, which is odd, because he usually opts to do that at the Kidcot station in China.

And then it hit.

The cranky. All of a sudden, like a royal tidal wave of fit to be tied-ness, there came the cranky. I put him in the stroller and headed out into the courtyard to try to stroll him around. But he was having none of it. He was fit to be tied.

And must have been channeling his inner royal. Because it sounded like a royal fit was coming.

We did have a disagreement. Honestly, I don't even remember about what. It may even have been about him taking a nap. So suffice it to say that when Mom and Nana eventually came out and we met up, neither HRH or myself was in a good mood. At. All.

Well, it had to happen sometime. Mary Poppins I am not.

I tried to stroll him while moving at Mom and Nana's pace (bless them) and it wasn't working. The ECV only goes so fast, and it's not quick enough to get him to fall asleep. I mean, if you want to put HRH to sleep in his stroller, you have to power walk. And fast. It's quite good for the waist line but not so good when you're with people who can't match pace. And let me add, that's not their fault. I didn't expect them to keep up with me at all, and so the way I tried to politely explain the reason that I needed to break away without hurting anyone's feelings. Especially Nana's. I was frustrated. Nana knew it, she could see it, and I knew she understood. We have a good silent communication, her and I. My mother knew it, but I think she really wanted to have more time together.

Wasn't. Gonna. Happen.

The kid needed a nap, stat. And so somewhere after China but before the bridge we made the command decision to split up. With the instructions that I was to call them when HRH went to sleep, and hopefully we'd meet up in France.

Ahem.

You caught that, right?

Moving on.

So I power walked. From China all the way to France. Honestly, it's a good thing it was cold, because otherwise, I would have been sweating. I can't believe I said that, but it's true. And finally, finally, at France, that royal...ahem...went to sleep. But not before he had spent half the time telling me, I want "something new, something different." That became HRH's anthem for the rest of the trip.

It's code for junk. In case you weren't clear on that. So instead of throwing a fit whenever we saw candy, he would just say (practically all the time), I want, "something new, something different." I believe at the end of the trip I told him if I heard that one more time....well, you know.

So I was a little past France and HRH was officially asleep. You know that little area were you can go down a walkway somewhere between France and England and just sit and look out over the lagoon? I strolled HRH down there and sat for a bit. Just enjoyed the view. Channeled a little moment of zen for myself. And had some realizations all at once. One being that I was really, really tired. Having to wake up with HRH so early and park touring was taking its toll. And another being that it was calm and peaceful there, and I had some time on my hands. Possibly even time to myself on my hands. And three being that I really missed my Jack Sparrow.

So I called DH.

And vented. About a lot. And told him how much he was appreciated and missed. We don't need to go into detail. But suffice it to say, it was so nice to hear his voice. So, so, so nice.

Now with a sleeping HRH, and having power walked my way around the World Showcase, I knew there was no way that Mom and Nana would have been in France yet. I also knew that if I was going to mutiny, now would be the time.

Up next - Where does TK go when she's feeling more pirate than royal?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #157
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Mutiny! Oh boy. Where does TK go when she's feeling piratey? I can't wait to find out.

HRH cracks me up... "I want something new...something different" as code for candy. He's good!

Love your purse!

Love that Nana had a margarita. That's how I hope I'll be... zooming along drinking my margarita, champagne... you get the idea. And of course to be with my daughter, her daughter and her son... that must have been for her!

So glad everyone liked Soarin'. It's definitely my favorite!

Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #158
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Mutiny! Oh boy. Where does TK go when she's feeling piratey? I can't wait to find out.
Hee hee.

Quote:
HRH cracks me up... "I want something new...something different" as code for candy. He's good!
A little too good, sometimes.

Quote:
Love your purse!
Thanks! And unlike others which have just taken up space in my closet, this one is actually getting used!

Quote:
Love that Nana had a margarita. That's how I hope I'll be... zooming along drinking my margarita, champagne... you get the idea. And of course to be with my daughter, her daughter and her son... that must have been for her!
Me, too. Amen to that.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #159
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

Soarin'....my DH's favorite ride. I usually explain Soarin' as watching a movie while you sit on a porch swing. I do find the more you ride Soarin' the less you have problems with the motion of it. I used to have a hard time at the very beginning going thru the clouds but I'm better now.

I so know what you mean about the stroller needs to be movin! Because the worst is when they just "rest" while in the stroller and then get over tired because they actually didn't sleep.

I'm thinking you took off to Future World and maybe went to Innventions.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #160
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
Soarin'....my DH's favorite ride. I usually explain Soarin' as watching a movie while you sit on a porch swing. I do find the more you ride Soarin' the less you have problems with the motion of it. I used to have a hard time at the very beginning going thru the clouds but I'm better now.
Well, that gives me hope. I'll definitely have to try it again.

Quote:
I so know what you mean about the stroller needs to be movin! Because the worst is when they just "rest" while in the stroller and then get over tired because they actually didn't sleep.
Isn't it crazy? I thought I was the only one, but I guess your Liam is like that, too. Must be movin!

Quote:
I'm thinking you took off to Future World and maybe went to Innventions.
My goodness.

And that's all I'm going to say right now.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #161
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Mutiny??? You mean you aren't going to France? Mais la champagne! Mais les escargots et les patisseries! Je ne comprends pas.

Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

And I love the purse -- too cute!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:31 AM   #162
pooh'smate
My ticker is actually a day off

As always another great update TK. Love your new purse.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #163
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Mutiny??? You mean you aren't going to France? Mais la champagne! Mais les escargots et les patisseries! Je ne comprends pas.
Mais no, madamoiselle. Je desire la patience, s'il vous plait.

Boy, is my French rusty.

The day is long my dear. That's all I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh'smate View Post
As always another great update TK. Love your new purse.
Thank you! I actually used the purse on date night, it went quite well with jeans and my black top.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #164
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Boy, is my French rusty.
Not as bad as mine.....I can read it but can't write it anymore.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #165
maroo
DIS Veteran

Wow...

2 updates!

You are trying to please your fans, right! To not hit "unsubscribe"...right!

Nice updates, both of them!

I am so glad you enjoyed Soarin...that is on my must do list. (Which I think you are keeping track of, right?!)

I am wondering, though, did you happen to see any wheelchairs on that ride? Is there a way for someone to enjoy that ride in a wheelchair? We were not sure when we took Lauren, but never got to Epcot anyway. I just wondered if you saw one.

Bless your heart...The royal fit, huh! But I am glad you got him to sleep. And some time to yourself. It is good. Time to yourself. I think I will plan some on my next trip!

I can't wait to see where your pirate self took yourself! (Gosh...that was an interesting sentence!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: