Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #136
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Royal Discourse Eight - A Royal Penny

Well, where else would be the best place to head? With bellies full, and rides to go on, and knowing what kind of a mood HRH had been in, I opted for something safe.

Something fun.

Something known.

But before we get to that, let me just throw in some photos of Epcot that for some reason didn't make it into the last post.

Seeing these last two lit up at night was amazing. I took a photo of the first one, and it came out better than the second. Just something for you to look forward in the upcoming discourse. Now, where were we?

Oh, yes, royal subjects.

We headed our royal patoots right over to Figment.
How well I remembered the look of awe on HRH's face during this ride when we went on in September. And I wanted to share that look with my mother. Because although we've gone to Disney together with HRH, the reactions change every year, and never before had they been so cognizant of what they were taking in, so awed by the magic of it all. Sure, he'd enjoyed these things when he was younger, but now it was so...different.

Well, Mom had the great idea of taking pictures of every ride we took him on. For example, we would pose in front of the sign for the ride, and then Mom would take a picture of just the exterior, or something like that, so we could easily scrapbook and remember what we'd done later. That and my little trip journal I kept, and we were solid on what we'd done. And it's nice to know that we'll be able to tell HRH your first ride on this trip was such and such.

In this case, Figment. And boy did he love it. Just as much if not more than before. He loved going on the ride, loved finding Figment, and loved looking around the queue as we headed in. Of course, there was no line...is there ever a line for Figment? That was really nice.

And then, HRH had a GRAND old time in the Imagination Lab. He ran over to that area where the instruments light up on the floor when the kids jump on particular spots and he just ran around and had so much fun. Now that I'm writing this, it makes me think of Heidi and wonder if Liam spent any time there. (If not, that's a great place for him to blow off some steam for future reference.) Boy, did Mom and Nana and I have a great time just watching him. I mean, we must have spent a good fifteen minutes there at least, just watching him run and jump and hop all over the place. We took lots of pictures, just priceless.

Of course I was really worried about how we were going to navigate our way through the dump shop. I didn't have DH to be the ultimate in distraction. Fortunately, something else presented itself.

The Pressed Penny Machine.

In all my life, I've never used one of these. But HRH showed a little interest, and I thought, why not. There are worse things to collect. Now he may not have really known what to expect, but given his love of Figment and all his fun in the Imagination Lab, I wanted to get one for him. They had three options, and one was Figment, so we were game. I scrounged up some change, let him press the button, and voila! A Figment penny. We put it in my wallet for safekeeping, where it's actually remained to this day. Eventually, when I make a scrapbook of the trip for him, it'll go in there. But for now, it's a sweet little reminder of my boy's happiness every time I look for change.

I believe at this point, we were all feeling pretty good, but I was quite sure how I was going to get him past the c-a-n-d-y. Fortunately, on the way out, he was distracted by those photo machines, and didn't even notice.

PHEW!!!

We decided to check out the line for Spaceship Earth, but deemed the line too long for our tastes.

As in we're so spoiled, we like to walk on to this one and any kind of wait just turns us off. Plus, I wasn't down for any kind of wait with HRH. We decided to head over to Nemo, but that line was even worse.

And cute as it is, there was NO WAY I was waiting for that ride. And truthfully, we had more fun outside. That boy loves those seagulls. Say it with me, "Mine! Mine, mine...mine!" We took some pictures in front of there and just let him admire it for a bit.

Now HRH started falling into the same old pattern of September. As in that boy has built in cart radar. So every time we passed one, he wanted something, and although I had indulged him at breakfast, I wasn't in the mood to feed him carp all day long. Let's keep in mind he'd had part of a chocolate cake, part of my cinnamon bun, and a lollipop. I mean the nutritional value there is just astounding, right?

We all decided to get a pretzel at one of the carts near Figment before we headed back to ride Soarin'. We sat on a bench together, and split two pretzels among the four of us. As in, HRH had his own, and Mom and Nana and I split the other. I wasn't terribly hungry, but I can't pass up a nice, salty pretzel from the World.

Up Next - What did we think of Soarin'?
Old 01-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #137
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
And then, HRH had a GRAND old time in the Imagination Lab. He ran over to that area where the instruments light up on the floor when the kids jump on particular spots and he just ran around and had so much fun. Now that I'm writing this, it makes me think of Heidi and wonder if Liam spent any time there.
Let's just say that I know actually where and what you are describing....

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #138
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Oh, what a lovely morning!!! I bet your mom and nana loved being able to just watch HRH -- grandmothers eat that stuff up!

Speaking of eating, I would love one of those pretzels right now.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #139
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
Let's just say that I know actually where and what you are describing....
Hee hee.

:::whispers::: I caught the secret code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Oh, what a lovely morning!!! I bet your mom and nana loved being able to just watch HRH -- grandmothers eat that stuff up!

Speaking of eating, I would love one of those pretzels right now.
Oh, they did just love it!

And aren't those pretzels divine? My favorite though, is from the cart in Germany. Those are awesome.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #140
jpmom97
DIS Veteran

I am caught up yeah! Love your trip report, can't wait to read more. We will be at Disney from the 4th to the 15th in Dec and your kind of scareing (don't think I spelled it right) about the crowds. We went 2 years ago, same dates and the parks weren't crowded at all. We do avoid the parks on the weekends though.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #141
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmom97 View Post
I am caught up yeah! Love your trip report, can't wait to read more. We will be at Disney from the 4th to the 15th in Dec and your kind of scareing (don't think I spelled it right) about the crowds. We went 2 years ago, same dates and the parks weren't crowded at all. We do avoid the parks on the weekends though.
Thanks for the compliment!

Oh, I don't mean to scare you! Honestly, I did notice more crowds than usual, but keep in mind, I'm used to going in September. Talk about your off season! Even with free dning, it's nothing compared to what I saw in December. Also, we were just there for a weekend, and it happened to be the weekend of the parade taping at the Magic Kingdom.

So a lot going on, you know?

I hate for you to read my discourse on the Magic Kingdom, which is not the day we're on currently, but the next day.

If you think you've seen crowds, wait until that.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #142
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

My nieces had a blast in the Imagination labs too. Being their nutty aunt, I had to join in on them hopping on all the musical instruments on the floor. Even my SIL had to join in and the 4 of us were getting a good laugh out of it. I'm afraid to know if my brother caught video of that or not.

I also introduced my nieces to the pressed penny machines on this trip which ended up driving me nuts for rest of the trip. It was a huge hit, so everywhere we went they wanted pressed pennies. I was completely unprepared, so had no change ready. Lesson learned.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 01-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #143
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
My nieces had a blast in the Imagination labs too. Being their nutty aunt, I had to join in on them hopping on all the musical instruments on the floor. Even my SIL had to join in and the 4 of us were getting a good laugh out of it. I'm afraid to know if my brother caught video of that or not.
That is just such a sweet memory you shared with me! I can picture you all jumping around like crazy nuts! What fun!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #144
MegansMom
Always Ready to Go Back with my "Minnie" Megan Mouse!

TK---Isn't that spot in the Imagination Labs just the BEST!!!! I have countless moments of video of Megan doing that very exact same thing. I love how much she loves that area!!! Our only problem is that her Sensory Integration Dysfunction was set into overload MAJORLY in June on the ride after the Skunk smell---she is HIGHLY oversensitive to smells, and that one killed it for her---I don't know if I will ever be able to get her back on that ride because she still to this day reminds us of that STINKY Figment ride----we will just have to wait and see!!! She also has problems now with Spaceship Earth---the scene with the fire---she can't stand the smell going through that scene---we might be doomed in Epcot for some time now! Can't wait to hear more about the rest of your day there!!!!

Chrissy---LOVE that story of you jumping around on the blocks too!!! I HOPE your brother has video of that!!! ;o)

June 2012 PTR--click here! July 2011 PTR-- click here! September 2009 PTR/TR --click here!June 2008 PTR/TR---click here!
Past Trips: 1978:Offsite 1980:Offsite 1982: Poly 1987: Poly 1992:Dixie Landings May 2001:Offsite Sep 2006: BWV Nov 2007:CSR/SSR June 2008: OKW Sep 2009: POFQ July 2011: AKV June 2012: OKW!!!
DH (36) ME (35) DD(8)
Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #145
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegansMom View Post
TK---Isn't that spot in the Imagination Labs just the BEST!!!! I have countless moments of video of Megan doing that very exact same thing. I love how much she loves that area!!! Our only problem is that her Sensory Integration Dysfunction was set into overload MAJORLY in June on the ride after the Skunk smell---she is HIGHLY oversensitive to smells, and that one killed it for her---I don't know if I will ever be able to get her back on that ride because she still to this day reminds us of that STINKY Figment ride----we will just have to wait and see!!! She also has problems now with Spaceship Earth---the scene with the fire---she can't stand the smell going through that scene---we might be doomed in Epcot for some time now! Can't wait to hear more about the rest of your day there!!!!

Chrissy---LOVE that story of you jumping around on the blocks too!!! I HOPE your brother has video of that!!! ;o)
Poor little nugget! I hope someday she'll be able to go one those again.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #146
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

I went first to show them what they did, and then once they joined me we were having so much fun I didn't bother to stop. That's when my SIL joined us. I think my mom might even have joined the fun. My brother took a bunch of video this trip, but I haven't seen any of it. I rode Evererst with him and he filmed the entire ride. I'm going to have to start pestering him to show me some of the video.

TK, I was making some notes in my trip report for my trip next December and was wondering if you could tell me what the weather was like while you were there. Did you need sleeves or a sweater at night? I've seen some people posting pics on trip reports wearing coats. That took me by a bit of surprise. I just want to be sure I'm prepared next year. I have a lightweight fleece jacket I was thinking I'd bring. I actually ended up using in August for a few well air-conditioned places.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #147
MegansMom

Quote:
Poor little nugget! I hope someday she'll be able to go one those again.
We hope so!!! We will make the grand attempt again when we go back, but if she puts up even the slightest hesitation, we will pass. It is just not that worth it for us to go through those rides that affect her senses so badly. Do you know what scene it is that has the fire in it in SE??? My Mommy brain is drawing a blank---can't remember--I was too focused on consoling her last time.

June 2012 PTR--click here! July 2011 PTR-- click here! September 2009 PTR/TR --click here!June 2008 PTR/TR---click here!
Past Trips: 1978:Offsite 1980:Offsite 1982: Poly 1987: Poly 1992:Dixie Landings May 2001:Offsite Sep 2006: BWV Nov 2007:CSR/SSR June 2008: OKW Sep 2009: POFQ July 2011: AKV June 2012: OKW!!!
DH (36) ME (35) DD(8)
Old 01-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #148
TarzansKat

Quote:
We hope so!!! We will make the grand attempt again when we go back, but if she puts up even the slightest hesitation, we will pass. It is just not that worth it for us to go through those rides that affect her senses so badly. Do you know what scene it is that has the fire in it in SE??? My Mommy brain is drawing a blank---can't remember--I was too focused on consoling her last time.
It's the one where Rome is burning. Funny thing is, I love that smell, and inhale deeply when we go through there.

But I'm with you. If they don't like it, or in her case, it affects her so badly, it's just not worth it.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #149
MegansMom

Quote:
It's the one where Rome is burning. Funny thing is, I love that smell, and inhale deeply when we go through there.

But I'm with you. If they don't like it, or in her case, it affects her so badly, it's just not worth it.
I thought that was the scene---I also enjoy that smell......have always enjoyed the smell of a fire burning......IN A FIREPLACE!!!! Don't want everyone to think I am some pyromaniac!!! There is just something about it that doesn't sit well with her---but she can sniff out any unusual smell from "miles away!" We were once in Target shopping, and she whispered in my ear that the baby in the cart in front of us must of had a "poo poo" because she could smell it.....I didn't smell it, but sure enough, once the lady went through the check out line, she made a comment about how they were going to have to stop in the restroom to change the baby's diaper on their way out. She is the first to let you know if your breath smells good/bad, if dinner smells good/bad, and is OBSESSED with putting on "smelly goods" for the two of us!!! We can't leave until we smell "pretty" to her!

DH (36) ME (35) DD(8)
Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #150
TarzansKat

Quote:
I thought that was the scene---I also enjoy that smell......have always enjoyed the smell of a fire burning......IN A FIREPLACE!!!! Don't want everyone to think I am some pyromaniac!!! There is just something about it that doesn't sit well with her---but she can sniff out any unusual smell from "miles away!" We were once in Target shopping, and she whispered in my ear that the baby in the cart in front of us must of had a "poo poo" because she could smell it.....I didn't smell it, but sure enough, once the lady went through the check out line, she made a comment about how they were going to have to stop in the restroom to change the baby's diaper on their way out. She is the first to let you know if your breath smells good/bad, if dinner smells good/bad, and is OBSESSED with putting on "smelly goods" for the two of us!!! We can't leave until we smell "pretty" to her!
Wow! Now this is all part of her condition, right, the heightened senses?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: