Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #31
DisDreamz
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

Wow what a crazy first day! I was on edge of my seat the whole time .

Funny thing, I bought those same shirts for our trip (turquoise minnie for me and the girls, grey classic mickey for ds).

We're back from the World!
A Graduation, A Birthday, and A Teenager?! Trip Report (6/7 - 6/17)

June 7-17, 2011 - Offsite, April 3-8, 2011 - FIRST SOLO TRIP - POP, Jan 4-10, 2009 - POP, Nov 2001 - POR, Nov 2000 - CB, mid-70s to February 2011 - Hundreds of DL Trips
Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #32
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDreamz View Post
Wow what a crazy first day! I was on edge of my seat the whole time .

Funny thing, I bought those same shirts for our trip (turquoise minnie for me and the girls, grey classic mickey for ds).
Oh, you will love the classic mickey t. We got so many compliments and people asking us where we bought that t-shirt because you can only order them on-line and you can't buy just an ordinary mickey t-shirt in the parks. It's always Mickey doing something.

I noticed in your siggie that you have been to DL many, many times. None of us have ever been but Suzy might hit you up for some tips as they are pondering going to DL in 2009 (that's a little surprise at the veeerrrry end of this TR) and she was disappointed in how little step-by-step info there is on DL when there is such a ton on WDW.

It was kind of a crazy day. Talk about the height of joy to the lows of despair. But that is a parent's life when you have a big family, right? Someone is always happy or sad or hurt or thrilled or angry or sweet. It's an emotional roller coaster. Maybe that's why we all love being parents, we love roller coasters!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #33
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

The view from Suzy......

From lunch on was definately stressful. Jack-Jack had napped right before we stopped for lunch. When he woke up, I knew I would have to take him to the doctor. He was not his normal self. Anyway, Milo has a hard time adjusting when I'm stressed. I'm not usually a very emotional person or one who stresses so when I do have a moment, it's hard on everyone. Yes, he was furious at me for the way I had handled lunch and I was annoyed that he couldn't just deal with it and forgive me my moment.

Then when he couldn't find our stroller, I was just sick. The one lapse of caution we had and we left our cameras hidden but IN the stroller I couldn't help him look for it as I had a sleeping Boo and a very sick Jack-Jack to care for and was on the phone trying to find where to take him. But Milo, was determined and even though he was certain someone in the massive crowd that had appeared had stolen it, he persevered. Was I ever relieved to see him pushing it towards me after about 15 miniutes.

So after my first attempt failed on trying to find a clinic, I didn't know exactly how I was going to find a doctor. Thank you Perla, for saving me on this! You are my hero when it comes to phone calls.

Perla offered to take my 3 healthy older boys with them home. Well, Milo didn't really want to do this. "We are a family and we stick together" mentality is nice most of the time but as we were getting closer to our respective vans I started envisioning my 5 and 8 yr old whining for the next few hours and I started to panic. So I bit the bullet and was honest with Milo that I wanted the kids to go (not knowing if this would aggrevate our friction or not.) Well, thank you to Milo, because he said, "O.K., if that's what you want." (come to find out he thought he would just sit in the van with the bigger kids while I took the baby in by myself to the clinic, doesn't that sound like fun for eveyone?????)

So a review of Centra Clinic...... It is not a Disney clinic, it's just a close clinic where they shuttle Disney resort guests to. We have only good things to say about this experience. It took probably a little over an hour and that was with a breathing treatment while we were there. We walked out with two prescriptions, one for an antibiotic for a double ear infection and one for a steroid to clear up the wheezing quickly. So we stopped by Walgreens which was right next door and got the scripts filled while we shopped. Jack-Jack had perked up after his treatment and was in heaven because he could play with all the first aid stuff and OTC medicines and by play I mean throwing them on the floor.

Red Lobster was good. Milo was a little annoyed that the kids got fed late (sorry Perla). But he and I were annoyed by a lot of things that afternoon and evening. I was afraid it would bleed over into the rest of our trip but NO WAY! Do you know how long we've been planning for this??? I refused to let it happen. The next morning, I promised to be less argumentative and he promised to be more patient and the party switch was back in the ON position!!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #34
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Day 3:

Thanks for the update, Suzy! It was a bit of a difficult end to our first park day. But everyone seemed to have recovered by Saturday morning. We were back on track and some of the nervousness had gone away. No one had completely blown up or melted down and I couldn't imagine we would have a more stressful day than that. So it seemed we had weathered the worst and survived. And even had some special moments.

It was a lovely Saturday morning and I was awake at 4:45 a.m. Shoot! Would this never end? I managed to sleep a little longer but, of course, by 6:00 a.m. those little feet were dashing around.

And here I must pause from the joy of the parks to tell you a different story. The year before we had stayed on site and Tinkerbell had brought my girls presents every morning. They adored this and I swear it saved me a ton of money because they never asked for any souvenirs. Tink had already given them a cool present so there was no need to ask for anything else.

Well this year we weren’t staying oon site. And although it is a bit believable that Tink covers all of WDW, it’s a stretch for a 6 & 8 yr old to think Tink would leave them a present out in Windsor Hills.

So I told them that I would buy them presents every morning. They agreed that this would be OK. But, naturally, this meant Suzy would have to get her kids presents too. She and I are always trying to spend each other’s money.

She agreed and project Dollar Tree commenced.

But I was lax. I didn’t take their daily itineraries and presents up to their rooms each night. I just sat them out on my counter.

Which meant that every morning the girls awakened me (of course I was already awake) pondering where their presents were since McQueen and Buzz had theirs.

So this morning I “woke” to a little, quiet voice saying, “Mommy, do you have a present for me today?” To show you just how important these were I just asked Mulan what she got on Animal Kingdom day and she ran and got her journal as she had written down each day what present she had gotten in the morning.

The first day was playing cards. This day, since we would be seeing lots of animals, we bought them disposable cameras. So all four kids had cameras. McQueen filled his up within minutes practically of being in the park. Mulan still has 12 left. That tells you the difference in their personalities. One is a live in the moment, leave it all on the table kinda kid, and Mulan is a saver, saver, saver to her very core.

So there was dressing and breakfast eating and packing of backpacks and by 7:30 am we were in the vans. We took the Sherberth Rd shortcut to Animal Kingdom. It’s kind of cool because the Disney Auditions area is on this road. Donald had to take control the steering wheel as I almost drove right into there to see if they needed any Minnie Mouses. But Donald kept me in line. Barely. He wouldn’t have minded turning in there either. As a matter of fact, he really had a hard time getting on the airplane to come back home.

So we zipped into the AK parking lot after Milo & Suzy. They always seemed to beat us into the parking lots. For some reason there was some parking confusion and there were 3 different CM’s directing us to different spots and arguing amongst themselves. I was really hoping the one directing us to that close spot would win. Yes! Score! He won. So we beat Milo and Suzy after all. Suckers….

There were a lot of people walking into AK this morning. And stupid AK with it’s crowded walkways. We were parked too close to take a tram and we were immediately on this tiny little sidewalk with the entire parking lot. I was explaining loudly to Ariel how she should get used to be poked and prodded like cattle as we were now entering Animal Kingdom. Much to the amusement of the hordes of people around us.

Behind me Milo was having an equally loud conversation with Mulan about how the Animal in Animal Kingdom is ironic and there are no actual animals in the AK. Of course, this is just the kind of thing to get Mulan all riled up and she was explaining how there are real animals. But Milo insisted. “No, reptiles aren’t animals.” “Birds aren’t animals either.” “And the elephants are just animatronic elephants.” “Nope, no animals in Animal Kingdom. Simply a Disney-cute name.”

So all together the crowds were entertained, which is good because there were no animals to greet us. Where is Terk? Where was Mickey? Why were there no Bugs Life characters? I hadn’t realized they didn’t have the characters outside anymore. That was a bit disappointing.

Take note of Charming's awesome sunglasses.

But not really. We were off. Until the first Photopass person. We had managed to get a few Photopass photos the day before but this was the day it would begin in earnest and we were like hunters hunting down our prey. Ah HA! You cannot hide in your safari camo. We see your camera. And you better run and hide cause we’ve got 2 babies who will never look at you and 5 kids who will be looking to see if the babies are looking at you and 4 adults trying to make the babies look at you. Good luck! Oh, and we’ll need the two families photos taken separately and then the whole group together. K? And we’re in a terrible rush. We’re burning daylight here. Could you hurry it up?

Now you know why they’re in khaki. To avoid people just like us.

So Photopass photos taken, we easily made our way to EE as there weren’t very many people here. I guess some people don’t like to be at parks at 8:00 in the am on their vacation. But considering we were getting up for no reason at all at 6:00 am, it was perfect for us.

See? No people:

So this is where I ran into the strange Baby Swap. I swear to all that is holy, I understood what was going on. But Mister EE Baby Swap Majesty had to make sure that those of us at EE at 8:00 a.m. were on the up & up. Despite the fact that there was no one else anywhere near us and we barely even needed the baby swap. It maybe saved us a minute or two. Maybe.

So I took the babies and McQueen (who had opted out of riding) to get FPs and there was a nice CM there who was chitchatting with me. The CM & I were teaching McQueen to get FP’s & Boo was out of the big double stroller running around the FP area. And all of the sudden the big stroller flips over! Somehow Jack-Jack, who was still very sick, had wiggled his way out of his half done seatbelt and stood up which made the stroller flip! It was like it was tipping in slow motion. With me screaming out & the CM reaching for him

Oh my goodness! He landed on the stroller and was in no way injured but I, of course went flying from the FP machine, the CM had scooped him up which terrified him. So I grabbed him and started checking him & kissing him. Which caused Boo to rush over and start screaming because I am forbidden from holding other babies. She is my only baby. No other babies allowed.

So both babies are screaming. Jack-Jack in my arms. Boo has a death grip around both my legs making it impossible for me to move. By this point people are starting to catch up with us and the FP area is filling us. They are commando focused on those machines and no one even notices the screaming spectacle on the side. So a lady holds up a park ticket & 9 FP’s and says to the CM, “Do these belong to anyone?” He of course says, “Yes, I’ll take them, “ and hands them to me. I had left the FP’s & the final ticket in the machine. Oh lordy.

I settle both babies back into the stroller & give Boo a map to entertain them and rush out of the area and into the gift shop at the end of EE.

I settled in to a little corner with the babies facing me (I was sitting on the floor) and sent McQueen to get all the stuffed animals he could reach. We needed a baby intervention. We ended up with a rhino, a tiger, and a monkey. And I put on a little play for the babies. After about 5 minutes I realized that McQueen who was sitting next to me was thoroughly enjoying our animal play, as were the bored CM’s awaiting the crowds. I KNEW I should have stopped into Disney Auditions today.

It wasn’t a very long play as they had only been gone about 15 minutes and at least 5-10 of those I was creating a spectacle in the FP tent. So I put the animals unceremoniously down. At which point Jack-Jack started screaming and McQueen said, “Hey! What are you doing?” Jack-Jack was crying because the play was over. And McQueen wanted more too! Man I’m good. Sorry kid, it’s time for me to go meet a Yeti.

Don’t just love a mountain climb early in the morning?

I had a goof grin on my face the whole time. And it was blissful riding with my kids and Donald. Just love it. Hearing their little screams mixed with laughs.

Here's a few photos:

Milo got to ride again since McQueen didn't want to:

Our baggage:

Our empty vehicle:

And our geeky post-ride photo:

Once back on firm ground again we went to Primeval Whirl which was open! It wasn’t scheduled to open until Dec 6th, after we were gone. Sweet! I have never ridden this and really, really wanted to. There was the mad dash of who will ride & who will wait and bags flying. Donald for some reason was rushing, just the excitement of it all, and I snapped at him that I had never ridden and I WAS riding first and to back off. I regretted this immediately as it was really snippy and pointless but he didn’t seem to care. Good man. I would have been irritated had it been the other way around.

We measured McQueen who had already not ridden the first ride and he was just short which made him cry. It does look like a ride for five year olds. So Suzy took him and the babies to Triceratop Spin which she said Boo just smiled and loved. While I was a pinball. This is a fun ride, but it certainly won’t be on my must do list again. I was on the outside and was unprepared for this weird bumper to hit me in mid arm right at the beginning. I mentioned it to Charming (who was riding with me on the other side) and he said him too. We had matching black & blue marks the rest of the week. Now I don’t know about you, but I don’t really like getting injured early in the morning. So even though I really enjoyed being a pinball and on a logical level thought this was a great ride, I was glad to get off. And not interested in getting back on.

See that big black "bumper" on the bar to Charming's right. Well it isn't a nice, soft squishy bumper. It's a black and blue, hard as a rock bumper.

And here is the track. Pretty cool & fun:

Too bad, Time's Up:

The other thing to note is Charming had JUST bought a new pair of sunglasses and left them on this ride. So he lost his new glasses and got bruised. I would say that is a negative ride experience.

So Milo & I traded out, or maybe Milo didn’t ride at all? Not sure. Anyhow, Donald & Suzy took the big kids on for their turn and Milo took McQueen to the potty while the babies & I went to the Boneyard. And then he met up with us to let McQueen have his fun. I had never been there before and really wanted to let the babies just run around and play.

I was sadly disappointed. This is not a baby playground. I can only imagine when there are actually children in this playground how not baby friendly it would be. As it was, there are these dino footprints and when you stepped on them dinosaurs roared at you. Scary, loud dinos. Neither Jack-Jack nor Boo thought this was a very good idea. So we went to the little baby slides. Which were straight down and fairly terrifying. Neither baby really wanted to go down the terrifying baby slides. And after being an evil mother and forcing Boo, she busted her lip. Figures, right? “Have fun! I insist you have fun!” It can only lead to injury. So Boo and I ended up sitting on a rock listening to “Dinosaur, ooo, ahh, oom, pa, everybody do the dinosaur,” over & over again.

Here she is trying to decide whether to cry or laugh at the dino roars:

Here is Milo being super dad:

McQueen, on the other hand, had a great time as did Buzz. It really is a playground for the kids who can’t or won’t ride Primeval Whirl and Dinosaur. They loved it & it is a cool playground. But don’t be confused and think it is good for babies and toddlers.

Here is Charming playing with Jack-Jack:

And all four boys:

The boys really did enjoy this. Even enough to be climbing so much all over everything that they gave Milo a heartattack. I can't remember if it was Buzz or McQueen but one of them climbed REALLY high onto these boxes. I had been keeping my eye on them as four boys were just a few too many boys for one person to watch and I lost sight for a minute. Next thing I know they're like 2 stories up. Milo saw it just before I yelped and went to help.

A nice place for kids to chill. But go early would be my advice. I bet it'd be horrid once the crowds descended!

What's next on the plan? Let's go back in time and meet some velociraptors!
Old 12-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #35
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post

And all of the sudden the big stroller flips over! Somehow Jack-Jack, who was still very sick, had wiggled his way out of his half done seatbelt and stood up which made the stroller flip! It was like it was tipping in slow motion. With me screaming out & the CM reaching for him

Oh my goodness! He landed on the stroller and was in no way injured but I, of course went flying from the FP machine, the CM had scooped him up which terrified him. So I grabbed him and started checking him & kissing him. Which caused Boo to rush over and start screaming because I am forbidden from holding other babies. She is my only baby. No other babies allowed.

So both babies are screaming. Jack-Jack in my arms. Boo has a death grip around both my legs making it impossible for me to move. By this point people are starting to catch up with us and the FP area is filling us. They are commando focused on those machines and no one even notices the screaming spectacle on the side. So a lady holds up a park ticket & 9 FP’s and says to the CM, “Do these belong to anyone?” He of course says, “Yes, I’ll take them, “ and hands them to me. I had left the FP’s & the final ticket in the machine. Oh lordy.
Interesting how this is the first time I'm hearing this story, hmmmmmm????

Quote:
Once back on firm ground again we went to Primeval Whirl which was open! It wasn’t scheduled to open until Dec 6th, after we were gone. Sweet! I have never ridden this and really, really wanted to. There was the mad dash of who will ride & who will wait and bags flying. Donald for some reason was rushing, just the excitement of it all, and I snapped at him that I had never ridden and I WAS riding first and to back off. I regretted this immediately as it was really snippy and pointless but he didn’t seem to care. Good man. I would have been irritated had it been the other way around.
Accuracy police ahead...... You and Donald rode this with all the kids the first time when all was said and done because Milo and I were on the Triceratops Spin with the little ones. Also, where did Donald go the second time? Because I rode it with Charming, Mulan, and Ariel by myself. (looking for Charming's glasses the whole time - he even asked a girl getting off the ride if her sunglasses were her own. He really was bummed he lost his new glasses especially because Mom and Dad would not be buying a replacement pair. )

Quote:
The Boneyard was where I first realized that these red shirts were not going to be easy to wear. When I got to the entrance to retrieve everyone the CM guard said to me, "Do you know G.....?(Charming's real name)" Which stopped me cold. It just kind of threw me, was I in trouble? Was Charming in trouble? Then I realized he was pointing at my shirt and said, "G..... just explained to me who everyone was." From then on I was not surprised to get stopped and talked to on the basis of these shirts alone. We got so many compliments on these that Perla could probably make a boatload of money if she wanted to.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #36
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Hi! I'm loving reading about all your adventures, all those kids + all you adults = a very funny tale! So sorry Jack-Jack was sick, poor little guy! And those shirts are AWESOME!!! Absolutely love them!

Looking forward to more...
Old 12-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #37
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseful of boys View Post
Interesting how this is the first time I'm hearing this story, hmmmmmm????

Accuracy police ahead...... You and Donald rode this with all the kids the first time when all was said and done because Milo and I were on the Triceratops Spin with the little ones. Also, where did Donald go the second time? Because I rode it with Charming, Mulan, and Ariel by myself. (looking for Charming's glasses the whole time - he even asked a girl getting off the ride if her sunglasses were her own. He really was bummed he lost his new glasses especially because Mom and Dad would not be buying a replacement pair. )

The Boneyard was where I first realized that these red shirts were not going to be easy to wear. When I got to the entrance to retrieve everyone the CM guard said to me, "Do you know G.....?(Charming's real name)" Which stopped me cold. It just kind of threw me, was I in trouble? Was Charming in trouble? Then I realized he was pointing at my shirt and said, "G..... just explained to me who everyone was." From then on I was not surprised to get stopped and talked to on the basis of these shirts alone. We got so many compliments on these that Perla could probably make a boatload of money if she wanted to.
I could have sworn I told you I dropped your near death child on his head. No? I can't imagine why I wouldn't have.

OK, I wondered about Donald as he has a photo of both groups on his camera. He and I had this little argument (as mentioned) and then Charming and I hopped on with Ariel. I wasn't sure who went with Buzz & Mulan. Either Milo or Donald. Normally, I run these things by my family before posting but Donald went to the doctor today for a sinus infection and has been a little out of it. And the girls were doing something. Oh well. We've got it now. Look! We got to ride together as couples and it was so romantic... I totally forgot it happened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Hi! I'm loving reading about all your adventures, all those kids + all you adults = a very funny tale! So sorry Jack-Jack was sick, poor little guy! And those shirts are AWESOME!!! Absolutely love them!

Looking forward to more...
Welcome! Welcome!

It's always great to get positive feedback. We all know these trip reports are just a way of living at Disney while we aren't there but it's also nice to have readers.

Thanks about the shirts. They really did turn out cool and all of us wearing red made it super easy to find each other. After two vacations wearing matching t-shirts, last year just the 5 of us, this year 11 of us, I have to say I'm a big fan. You can sincerely find each other anywhere.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #38
overthemoon4mickey
Mouseketeer

I love the fact that Perla posts this amazing very detailed report and then Suzy comes in and adds even more details! So Great....It's like a trip report form 2 sides. I can't wait for more....Keep it coming!
SEPT. 05' 10 days CBR/WLV DEC. 07' 9 days CSR JAN. 09' 10 days POR Aug.09' 10 days ASMovies. Jan.11' 10 days CBR June 12' 11 days Bonnet Creek, Dis & Universal June 14' 2 weeks Bonnet Creek and Universal
Old 12-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #39
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthemoon4mickey View Post
I love the fact that Perla posts this amazing very detailed report and then Suzy comes in and adds even more details! So Great....It's like a trip report form 2 sides. I can't wait for more....Keep it coming!
Hiya! Thanks for your positive input. Donald also sometimes posts. So then we can have even more details because later in the trip we do start to split up more. Donald turned into a "Must see every single corner of Disney," maniac and spent every waking moment at the parks later in the week so he'll have to fill you in because I still don't even really know the stories.

You'll have to get Suzy to tell you the story of her flight down (pre-puking baby.) You can tell from our detailed plans and our matching t-shirts that we are extremely organized about travel. While waiting for Milo to park she witnessed the opposite of us. But you'll have to get her to tell you. She didn't want to hijack the thread with a random non-Disney story. But I, personally, think it's relevant.

A new update will be coming, maybe not for a few days, though. I'm redecorating Mulan's room (I'll post photos when it's done) and I have a wedding cake to make as well. Plus, I work all day tomorrow. So it may be crazy till Saturday night.

But then it's Christmas break I've taken time off work to just hang with the fam and I swear it'll be TR crazy!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #40
joally
Earning My Ears

Wow, thanks so much for all the details, Perla! Any chance you could post that grocery list? My husband and I and our 3 boys leave on 12/24 and have an off-site house like you did, but I don't plan on doing any "real" cooking. You are so organized, I just love you. My friends think I am so weird for planning a step-by-step itinerary for every day.

I think I'm going to do the dollar tree presents, too! Awesome idea!

I hope you get time to finish your TR before I leave. It's so helpful!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #41
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

O.K. here's the story.......

Quote:

You'll have to get Suzy to tell you the story of her flight down (pre-puking baby.) You can tell from our detailed plans and our matching t-shirts that we are extremely organized about travel. While waiting for Milo to park she witnessed the opposite of us. But you'll have to get her to tell you. She didn't want to hijack the thread with a random non-Disney story. But I, personally, think it's relevant.
You need to understand, that amid all of our organization, I constantly feel disorganized. I have 1 DH, and 4 DS including 1 baby to keep track of along with 2 strollers, 2 cameras, a diaper bag, a snack bag, a purse with all cards, money, and tickets, plus pin trading, pennies to press and a plan to follow So with that said, while I was sitting in the airport waiting for Milo to park our car, I couldn't believe this story that unfolded in front of me. I was sitting with 4 children, 5 huge suitcases, a car seat, 2 strollers (1 huge double jogger) and 8 personal bags (kids' backpacks, camera bag, diaper bag,laptop bag, etc.) wondering if we could actually make it to Orlando without losing anything and a woman with her husband tried to check in to the airline. Now remember this was Thanksgiving morning. Well, there they were with their one carry on bag and the airline lady tells them that they were never confirmed. Here come to find out the woman's father had bought them tickets back in August to come home for the holidays and his credit card was declined so the tickets had never been purchased! She had the printout of the confirmation number that they had originally printed out with PENDING printed on it and that was what she was trying to check in with. So she sat down with a cell phone a few feet from me and called her family to let them know she would not be coming. She says to her mom on the phone, "I don't understand why no one checked on this?" Hello!! How could you pack a bag and drive to the airport and park your car and ride the shuttle and walk up to the check in without confirming that you actually have a ticket. I could not believe it. I had looked on Airtran's website at least once a day since I purchased my tickets to make sure nothing had changed with my confirmation Anyway these poor people had to go back home to a cold house on Thanksgiving. I felt bad for them but happy for me to have my boarding passes in hand (that I of course had printed out exactly 24 hours before) to where the magic would commence.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:48 AM   #42
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joally View Post
Wow, thanks so much for all the details, Perla! Any chance you could post that grocery list? My husband and I and our 3 boys leave on 12/24 and have an off-site house like you did, but I don't plan on doing any "real" cooking. You are so organized, I just love you. My friends think I am so weird for planning a step-by-step itinerary for every day.

I think I'm going to do the dollar tree presents, too! Awesome idea!

I hope you get time to finish your TR before I leave. It's so helpful!
Awww, thank you soo much! I will post the list right after this! The quantities may be a little off for you, though! Actually, they were a little off for us. Like we bought way too much toilet paper and had unopened packages of paper plates & cups. My math was 11 people times 10 days times 1 paper plate and 1.5 cups per day. But we only ended up using 50 paper plates and 50+ cups. I guess we must have just used the real stuff more than I was planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseful of boys View Post
She says to her mom on the phone, "I don't understand why no one checked on this?"
Can you imagine? "Uh, I don't understand why no one checked on this either, like maybe you?"
Old 12-18-2008, 06:08 AM   #43
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Vacation Grocery List

This is the list I printed & took with me, only I put it into Microsoft word & made it into 3 columns so it fit on one page. The only thing, as mentioned, that I did not get at all were the Slim Jims. I also didn't get the lemon juice because we decided not to cut up the apples and just make the kids eat a whole apple.

Baby Items:
Throw Away Sippy Cups
Wipes

Drinks:
Beer (Nice mix of ale & stout)
4 2 liters of caffeine free soda
2 packs of Diet Coke in bottles
48 bottles of water
Gatorade/Powerade Mix-ins

Dairy:
Orange Juice
3 gallons 1% milk
1 gallon whole milk
5 dozen eggs
Spray butter
Sour Cream
16 Smoothies
Gogurt
Shredded Cheddar Cheese (nachos & tacos)
1 big bunch String cheese
Flour Tortillas

Cleaning Supplies:
2 Flushable Wipes
Dishwasher soap
Laundry Detergent
Fabric Softener
Trash bags

Paper products:
50 Ziploc baggies
1 pkg Gallon baggies
200 Paper Plates
150 Plastic Cups
2 big rolls Paper towels
15 big rolls Toilet Paper
150 Napkins

Salty Snacks:
3 bags Tostitos (one Baked)
2 bags Plain Lays
3 bags Fritos
6 bags Baked Chips
Pretzel Rods
Popcorn
Cashews
Big Box Slim Jims

Cereal Aisle:
Maple syrup
3 boxes cereal
1-2 box Kashi Trail Mix Bars
2 Fiber One Chocolate Bars

Meat:
Hotdogs
Regular chicken strips
Cooked bacon
Cooked sausage
Crab legs
3 lbs hamburger

Baking Aisle:
Salt & Pepper
Apple keeper or lemon juice
Splenda?

Juice Aisle:
Water Mix-Ins
8 pkgs 100% juice Caprisun (or water ones)

Cookie/Cracker Aisle:
2 bags Chips Ahoy rainbow
Crackers
Cheezits

Candy aisle:
Skittles
4 things of Hershey’s FunSize
Gum

Middle aisles:
2 Peanut Butter
Strawberry jelly
Ketchup
Mustard
Horseradish
3 pkts Taco Seasoning
Taco shells
Salsa
Refried Beans
Black olives sliced
Jalapenos
Cocktail sauce
Coffee & filters-check house
Creamer
Splenda?
Kraft Mac & Cheese

Bread:
2 loaves 35 calorie bread
2 loaves kid bread
2 pkgs hotdog buns

Frozen:
DiGiorno 2 Cheese & 1 Pepperoni pizza
Chicken nuggets
French Fries
2 boxes Cinnamon Bagelfuls (8 in each)
1 Reg. Bagelfuls (8 in each)
Frozen Blueberry Pancakes

Fresh:
Bag of apples
1 dozen bananas
Grapes
Shredded lettuce

Deli:
Ham
Cheese: Swiss/Colby

There ya go. I see I got 200 (2 per day) plates which means I was just 50 off. But because we had so many other cups we did not need this many plastic. The toilet paper & plastic cups were the things we had too much of.

We did not buy enough of water & Coke. I also only got half the Caprisun and it was too much as Suzy ended up hating them with so many kids. It just seemed like there was always a Caprisun pool somewhere. Especially since Jack-Jack and Boo kept fighting over them. So once those were gone, they were not replaced.

We also ended up with too many eggs & bacon but that was only because the morning I was supposed to make breakfast, I got ill (more on that later) and so it didn't get made. Which meant we ran out of cereal.

Suzy & I each ran to the store once in addition to this. I bought more Diet Coke & bananas & a cheesecake sampler. She can tell you exactly what she got but I know cereal was included.

I cooked twice. I made taco meat the first night. And I made scrambled eggs one morning. Other than that it was turn on the oven, throw in something from the freezer or we used the microwave or we ate cold sandwiches.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #44
myrsfmly
DIS Veteran

Loving your Trip report! Happily subscribing! You are brave to travel with such a big group. The most I ever took to WDW was 7 and I thought I was out of my mind for doing it!

Can't wait for more!

Old 12-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #45
joally
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for the grocery list! I really didn't have to modify much because my boys are 8, 12, and 14 so they eat tons! Plus we are staying for 17 days, so I think your list was just about right. This really saved me lots of time. I had been procrastinating this task because it's not as fun as reading the DIS board! It will also save me lots of money, because if I never got around to making the list we would probably eat in the parks too much and only 1 kid still qualifies for the kid meal. So I owe you big $$$. Thanks!

Can't wait for the next installment of your TR!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: