Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2009, 06:34 AM   #151
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Day 6

I didnít know about the Jack-Jack and Charming thing. Charming is such a little mother I doubt it would even have occurred to him to wake me and have me put Jack-Jackís jammies on him. He and Jack-Jack have such a special little bond.

I awoke at 4:00 a.m. to a sick baby who was hacking up a lung and had a fever. I had mentioned to Donald that I was getting sick and might not go to Epcot the next day. I just kept going back and forth. But when Boo woke up sick, the deal was sealed. I would stay home.

Our plan for this day was to do Epcotís future world in the morning and then head over to MK for Wishes and Spectro. I love Wishes so I knew if I could only do half the day, I would choose the second half. And future world is hard with a baby. There is a lot of baby swapping there so it was a good morning to skip.

In retrospect, I should have offered to keep Jack-Jack. For the life of me, I canít think of why I didnít. It just never occurred to me. I wasnít that sick and a good night of rest had rejuvenated me so I wasnít stressed and emotional. So I donít know. And Suzy is way too nice to have asked. Itís probably the same reason we hadnít given Donald the van the night before and had me go with Suzy. And then I had to go pick him up. In retrospect, that was a goofy choice too.

But the bottom line is I stayed home alone with Boo. The rest left just after 8:00 a.m. and Suzy will have to tell you how that went.

Here is a sick baby Boo:

My day was as such: I took my Motrin/Tylenol combo & gave Boo some Tylenol too (infant stuff, of course.) My plan was to read a book I had gotten at the library before I left home and relax. So I put Boo under a blankie watching Nick Jr. and climbed back into bed to read my book. But after two chapters I realized it was a stupid book that I hated. And I didnít really feel like hanging out in bed all day.

So I got up and collected the laundry from all the bedrooms. Normally, I wouldnít have braved doing their laundry as itís not my strong suit and I didnít want to ruin anything. But we mostly had jeans and t-shirts and I figured I couldnít ruin that. I probably did ruin things even still. But I took it all & sorted it and got started. It was about 6-7 loads. Then I went to clean the kitchen which I had totally neglected. It was gross. The trouble was, I didnít have a mop or a vacuum. And my only cleaning supplies were a tub of Scrubbing Bubbles wipes and dishsoap.

And the floors in the entire house were tile. So I went and got a bath towel and dampened it and spread it out on the floor. Then I put one foot on one side and one foot on the other side and ďwalkedĒ around the house. It worked OK. Not amazing but it did stop some of the stickiness. And there was a lot of stickiness as Jack-Jack and Caprisun do not go well together. And Boo loves Caprisun so she was constantly carrying one around and then Jack-Jack would grab it and she wouldnít let go and Caprisun would go EVERYWHERE. So the video game room and kitchen floor got a good scrubbing.

Then I took a break and read to Boo and played with her a bit. We ate some breakfast. And thenÖ she fell asleep at 11:00 a.m. And slept till 3:00!!! So I had 4 hours all alone. I put on my MP3 player and tackled the rest of the house. I mention the vacuum again as I REALLY needed a vaccum. But I got all the bathrooms clean and things picked up. And the laundry done. But mostly I was bored. I watched 3 episodes of Top Chef which shows how bored I was as Iíd already seen these episodes. I just watched them over.

By 2:00 p.m. I was pretty much just waiting for everyone to come home. I felt really good and felt I was on the upswing of health. Come on family. Where are you?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #152
collcass
DIS Veteran

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your TR. SOunds like you all had a wonderful time together.

We went this past July w/ 2 other families (my twin and her family and cousin and her family). The babies stayed with the grandparents at home so there were 8 kids and 6 adults. It definitely was a challenge but a fun filled time.

We are going again for Thanksgiving (and DS 11th bday) so your TR gives me some great insight.

BTW, what did you think about the infor from TGM? We went 4th of July and never stood in more than a 10 min line. I always wonder if it's because of the advice from TGM or that I pretty much memorized every Disney fact out there!

Looking forward to the rest of your days
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #153
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

Poor little Boo.
Glad you were feeling better after a good nights rest and a half day at home.
Can't wait to hear what the others did in their morning.
June 2004:ASsports -honeymoon Jan 2011: Kidani -Spectrum Moms take on the World March 2011: rental house- boys first trip Sept 2012: AoA-Cars Suite -UFT (ultimate field trip) Sept 2013: AoA-Lion King suite- MNSSHP May 2014:ASsports- Star Wars Weekends December 2014: POP- Tis the season to be jolly

Old 01-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #154
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
In retrospect, I should have offered to keep Jack-Jack. For the life of me, I canít think of why I didnít. It just never occurred to me. I wasnít that sick and a good night of rest had rejuvenated me so I wasnít stressed and emotional. So I donít know. And Suzy is way too nice to have asked.
It never occurred to me to leave Jack Jack. That would have been nice but Boo and Jack Jack were so difficult to handle together that your day would have been much different I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
And there was a lot of stickiness as Jack-Jack and Caprisun do not go well together. And Boo loves Caprisun so she was constantly carrying one around and then Jack-Jack would grab it and she wouldnít let go and Caprisun would go EVERYWHERE. So the video game room and kitchen floor got a good scrubbing.
I hated, hated these Capri-Suns. After the first night and Jack Jack had squirted about 5 half empty packages all over the floors I banned Perla from buying any more of these. Note to self - a 12 mo old must have sippy cups with no spill valves!

Old 01-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #155
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

Future World....

So I had tagged along the day before and now Donald and his two girls were tagging along. For the drive in. See Donald is not really a tag along person either. He is more of a "catch me if you can" kind of person. So once we were through the gate he was gone.

We headed to Test Track first thing. Milo, Charming, Buzz, and McQueen went to ride first while I went to get FPs for Soarin'. I hate this trek, it's just a hard walk. I was wearing Jack Jack on my back in preparation for this journey. So I got my metabolism charged early this morning while I walked from Test Track over to the Land, into the Land, down the stairs, over to Soarin' and back to the FP area. Then back to Test Track where the guys were still riding.

Then when they came out, I got to ride with the big boys. There still wasn't any line, so we just walked on. Since no one was there we got to ride in a car all to ourselves. The boys and I pretended we were asleep for our Photopass shot.

After Test Track we walked over to Mission Space and I sat out with the baby. McQueen had done this the night before with his uncle Donald and was excited to be in the "know" and take his dad on this ride. I just skipped this ride.

Next we headed over to use our FP for Soarin' but on the way stopped at Character Connection. I was a little disappointed in the set up because last time we were there you had to know what you were looking for to find this place. The windows were all blacked out and the place was empty. We had the characters to ourselves. But, of course, this is Disney, they can't let that happen. This year, they've opened the windows, made it very colorful, so it catches your attention from outside that Mickey is in there and the lines have come. But we had waited and this was the only character greet we were going to do (aside from Tusker House) so we went and got in line. All said, this probably took a good 45 minutes but I think it is worth it because you to see the "Fab 5"

waiting in line:

Mickey:

I wouldn't get my picture taken with Minnie because she was the tiniest Minnie I had ever seen I didn't want to look huge!

Pluto:

Donald:

And unlike Boo, Jack Jack loved these big guys.

So on to Soarin'. Milo had a phone interview this day at noon so the plan was he would ride with the kids while I had Jack Jack and then take off to the van to have his interview. Then Charming would watch the baby while I got to ride. So Milo and the boys got in the FP line (with Donald and his girls whom we had run into) and I went to the exit/FP area and waited for what seemed an eternity. While I waited I decided there was no way Charming could babysit Jack Jack out here while I rode. It was just too chaotic with too many people around. So I skipped it too. When they all came out, Milo ran off and the boys and I went to hop in line and ride The Land. Jack Jack loved all the boat rides so this was enjoyed by all and something safe for me to do by myself with them.

After this we decided to eat lunch there at the Sunshine Grill. This did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. It was a little before noon so not too crowded but I still had an 11yo, 8yo, 5yo, and 1yo all by myself trying to get everyone's food and juggling trays and baby. I had never eaten at this food court before so I didn't do it very well. We picked 2 kids chicken meals for Buzz and McQueen right off the bat. It included a drumstick, mashed potatoes, drink, and grapes. Well, we walked a little further, and found a Smuckers uncrustable meal that Buzz would really prefer so I let him get that and decided that I would eat the chicken and share with Jack Jack. Charming spotted a kids' sweet and sour chicken lunch that sounded good to him, so I sent him to the Asian counter. When we had regrouped at the checkout Charming had actually ordered an adult platter with 2 entrees and 2 sides none of which was sweet and sour chicken. When asked what happened he said that the children's platter was only for kids 10 and under. I explained to him that we're not on the dining plan and he was 11 and he could have ordered the kids meal if he wanted. Oh Well. We checked out and went to a table where I had to set everyone up with straws, napkins, tableware, you get the idea, it was complicated. And Charming really wanted that Sweet and Sour chicken. So I sent him back for it and Jack Jack and I now had a lot of food to choose from. I spent more for lunch here than I would have liked due to the confusion but it was the best I could do given the situation. On our way out I picked up a tuna sandwich for Milo and some of the leftovers that we had.

Milo was done with his interview and we had to pick him up at the gate because in his hurry to not be late he had forgotten his ticket with me. So once he was cleared we headed to Spaceship Earth. Milo quickly ate his lunch and we took a potty break and diaper change and hopped in line. We let the kids spend some time playing in the interactive area at the exit of this ride and they all loved it.

Then we headed over to Nemo and the Living Seas. We were determined to get McQueen picked for Turtle Talk with Crush. So we practiced what question he would ask, how he would raise his hand and the older two boys wouldn't, etc. (Now both of my other boys have always gotten called on here. Buzz has talked to Crush twice, so I didn't think it should be hard) While we waited we watched these.

And then we were in. McQueen sat right up front ready and armed with his question. And didn't get called on. "No one ever picks me" Oh well, a lesson in life learned. You just don't always get picked.

By this time, it was about 2:00 and we were ready to go. We wanted a chance to rest before we headed back to MK for a couple of rides and Spectro and Wishes that night.

When we got back to the house, I found Perla had been a busy beaver. My room and bathroom had been cleaned and laundry done. Thank you, Perla!! I had been so busy the previous days I had let it go a bit so I was very happy.

Stay tuned for our evening report.....

Old 01-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #156
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

I love the tie dye shirts- where did you get them?

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club

Old 01-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #157
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
I love the tie dye shirts- where did you get them?
Thanks! We made them ourselves which was an entire adventure in itself.

Perla can give you the link for the instructions if you ever want to try it.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #158
collcass
DIS Veteran

Quote:
After this we decided to eat lunch there at the Sunshine Grill. This did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. It was a little before noon so not too crowded but I still had an 11yo, 8yo, 5yo, and 1yo all by myself trying to get everyone's food and juggling trays and baby
Don't worry, my experience was just the same @ SS. I don't remember where on earth my DH got off to, but I had the 4 of them by myself and the 4yr old was running around like a lunatic!!

Love the tie dye shirts
Old 01-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #159
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by collcass View Post
Don't worry, my experience was just the same @ SS. I don't remember where on earth my DH got off to, but I had the 4 of them by myself and the 4yr old was running around like a lunatic!!

Love the tie dye shirts
Thanks!

I think the problem with SS is this - typically if I was by myself with the boys I would park them at a table under the supervision of Charming and then go get food. But this place is so big, I wasn't really comfortable doing that. So we all went through the line together. Which needless to say was not ideal.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #160
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Here is the step by step instructions for Tye Dye. I think it's post 7.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=928135

And for those who are gluttons for punishment, there is a pre-trippie to this crazy trip. It got cluttered with a girl's only trip and some random photos of our trip report to Yellowstone this summer (there is TR on that over in the Disneyland/out west board) and I abandoned it as it was a difficult read. However on page 5 is a photo tutorial on how NOT to tye dye:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1719510

I've since learned that our mistake was in not using the floss. But I searched all the drugstores and Wal-Mart for non-waxed dental floss and could not find it and therefore we used a sturdy thread. The thread didn't work right. Plus, we didn't saturate our shirts with water first so the dye didn't go all the way through.

All in all, we are bad at it. We tried it twice, once all together and once with just my family and both times we had the same lame result.

But ya'll are more than welcome to follow our terrible directions.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #161
disney4us2002
Tagless by choice!!

Okay, I'm even beyond the pics. I have read it several times and looked at the pics and still have NO idea what the heck it is I am to do. So, can these be bought anywhere? When all else fails, charge it, lol.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #162
wahoostampingirl
DIS Veteran

I just started reading yesterday and I'm not caught up yet, but I had to comment about how much I love this TR! Your description of the Animation Studios is great and the pics were so cool. We haven't done this yet in our 3 trips to DHS, but we'll be there on Jan. 22nd and I can't wait for my DH and DD7 to try this. They both love to draw. Plus, the added bonus of getting to see Bolt seals the deal.

We stayed in Windsor Hills last year in a condo and loved it. I would stay there again, but my cousin offered to let us stay with them and they only live about 20 minutes away. Since this is a budget trip for us, a return to Windsor Hills will have to wait.

Ok, back to reading.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #163
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoostampingirl View Post
I just started reading yesterday and I'm not caught up yet, but I had to comment about how much I love this TR! Your description of the Animation Studios is great and the pics were so cool. We haven't done this yet in our 3 trips to DHS, but we'll be there on Jan. 22nd and I can't wait for my DH and DD7 to try this. They both love to draw. Plus, the added bonus of getting to see Bolt seals the deal.

We stayed in Windsor Hills last year in a condo and loved it. I would stay there again, but my cousin offered to let us stay with them and they only live about 20 minutes away. Since this is a budget trip for us, a return to Windsor Hills will have to wait.

Ok, back to reading.
If I had friends who lived that close to WDW, I would so be staying with them as then I wouldn't have to choose between going elsewhere and Disney. I could do both every year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney4us2002 View Post
Okay, I'm even beyond the pics. I have read it several times and looked at the pics and still have NO idea what the heck it is I am to do. So, can these be bought anywhere? When all else fails, charge it, lol.
I've never seen them anywhere. I may have to try them again. I'm bound and determined to get them right and Donald LOVED the ones we made and wears them all the time. He has two. So I can't imagine if we got it right and didn't have to use a bleach pen to make our Mickeys how much he would love them.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #164
wahoostampingirl
DIS Veteran

Ok, I'm all caught up now and so in the mood to be at Disney World right this minute!

Just a note about BATB v. Indy at DHS. I have B/G twins, age 7 and BOTH of them preferred the Beauty and the Beast Show over Indy . My ds loves LMA, but the Indy show just didn't hold his attention. So all you moms of boys, don't despair...they might actually enjoy BATB if you can get them there.

I bought all the supplies for the tie-dye Mickey shirts for trip last year and have been too afraid to attempt them. I think the bleach pen is a great idea.

Last edited by wahoostampingirl; 01-11-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #165
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoostampingirl View Post
Ok, I'm all caught up now and so in the mood to be at Disney World right this minute!

Just a note about BATB v. Indy at DHS. I have B/G twins, age 7 and BOTH of them preferred the Beauty and the Beast Show over Indy . My ds loves LMA, but the Indy show just didn't hold his attention. So all you moms of boys, don't despair...they might actually enjoy BATB if you can get them there.

I bought all the supplies for the tie-dye Mickey shirts for trip last year and have been too afraid to attempt them. I think the bleach pen is a great idea.
I'm almost ALWAYS in the mood to be in Disney. Last night Donald and I were watching the Steelers beat the Chargers (we are Ohioans and therefore quite anti-Pittsburgh.) But about halfway through the third quarter Donald says, "I don't feel sorry for those Chargers at all. They live in SAN DIEGO! Tomorrow they'll be like, oh, I'm so sad we lost. I think I'll go outside and lay around in the 80 degree weather and mope."

And I had a nightmare/good dream last night about Disney. Donald and I were laying at the Poly pool with froo-froo drinks soaking in the sun and a CM came running at us and said, "What are you doing here? You don't have rooms here!" and we both got up and took off running so we wouldn't get caught.

We might be a little bitter about being in the cold and snow.

But back to you, you should at least try the tye-dye thing. It's fun even if it doesn't work!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: