Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
DisneyLily
DIS Veteran

A Magical Vacation: Happy Hollydaze December 2008

Aloha and welcome to my trip report titled: A Magical Vacation: Happy Hollydaze December 2008.

How This Trip Came To Be:

We had originally booked a trip for April 2008 at Disney's Polynesian Resort. We normally like to go/travel to Walt Disney World at the end of April to the beginning/middle of May. The reason for this is simple: we are from Canada, so the likelyhood of delays travelling to Orlando International Airport (MCO) was not likely, unlike if we were to travel in December or the months of the year that we usually get snow storms.

However, it was near the end of November 2007/beginning of December 2007 that we decided to visit Walt Disney World during December of 2008. I, of course, was EXTREMELY happy for multiple reasons:
a)It's Disney World - like who wouldn't want to go there?
b)It's during December which means that there will be ALOT of christmas decorations
c)NO SNOW!!!!

So, we changed the trip to December 11th - 19th 2008. Woohoo!!!

Next, we were doing some research on airplanes and airfares and found that it was cheaper to fly out on Wednesday December 10th than if we were to fly out on Thursday December 11th. So, we took advantage of this and booked an extra day. Unfortunatly, there were no AAA discounts available for that day, so we had to pay the full value season price for the resort (Polynesian), leaving us with a "continuing reservation".

The days flew by and than it was here!! It was finally here!!!! But before we get to that, I must do some briefing on the cast of this trip and such.

So, sit back, hold on tight, and please stand clear of doors. (Hehe...we shall learn that there is a secret meaning behind me saying this )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Background Information:

The Cast:
1. Mother - a.k.a. DM
2. Father - a.k.a. DF
3. Daughter - a.k.a. ME (your host)

The Place:
Disney's Polynesian Resort

Room View:
Garden View

The Dates:
Wednesday December 10th - Friday December 19th

Pictures Taken:

Airline:
WestJet

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next Up...

1. At Toronto's Pearson International Airport
2. Why Automatic Doors Scare Me

Tower of Terror // Rock 'n' Rollercoaster Starring Aerosmith // Space Mountain

Last edited by DisneyLily; 12-20-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
DisneyLily
DIS Veteran

Wednesday, December 10th 2008

Just for the sanity of others, I am going to bypass the boring morning part of the day and go right to when we are at the airport waiting for our plane to take off.

-----
**Note: We used a shuttle service entitled "Red Car Service" to get to the airport because it saves us time and the hassle of parking a car at the airport and worrying about it all week.**

Our flight was supposed to leave the ground at 10:40 am {HINT: "supposed" is the key word}. We arrived at the airport at 8:30 am, we were supposed to arrive there earlier but the traffic was slow. We took a back road which according to our driver was faster, when in reality we moved at the same speed as those on the highway (s..l..o..w). I probably found it slow because I was being so impatient. I wanted to go to Disney and I wanted to go right now.

So anyways, back to the "supposed" time of departure for our airplane. As it turned out the flight crew were late because they were coming in from another plane which was delayed. So, one by one the flight crew arrived, and our plane time of departure was 40 minutes later. No big deal...right?

Wrong.

I thought that I saw every member of the flight crew come in but according to the woman at the check-in counter, there was still one more to come, however she came down with a cold so they had to find someone else to come and take her spot. 15 minutes later and the new girl arrived. FINALLY!!!

Skipping through the boring part of getting into the plane to the time of depature.

We finally departed from the Toronto Pearson International Airport at 12:15 pm or so. I tried not to care about the time that we were departing at, but I couldn't help but to feel a little bit mad that our trip to Disney was delayed by an hour and a bit. (Don't flame me for saying that, but I love Disney alot).

So we arrived after 2:30 pm and boy was it HOT! Compared to the weather in Canada actually, anything above 35 F is warm.

We than got off the plane and made our way to the monorail to get to the baggage claim. We found a monorail waiting so we climbed on board...or well...2 of us did at least, me not so much. You see the car that we got into was jammed pack and well, here's the deal: as soon as I was about to step foot through the doors to squeeeeeeezzzzzeeeee into a spot, the doors began closing. I was being locked out, or so I thought, so I said: "Ahhhh help!!" but the doors were closing so quickly.

And than they opened again and I got on, chuckled at the moment that just occured and we were off to the baggage claim. My father told me to next time stick my hand into the doors, but I said that they would chop my arm off I did that!

So anyways, we got our luggage after waiting for 10 minutes and than we went downstairs to get our rental car information. We used Alamo. My mother went to use the machine where you can go if you already have a car booked. This only took us about 10 minutes, and than we headed outside into the blistering hot heat.

After trying to navigate the row of car class that we wanted, we finally found it and found a car that was suitable. It was a Chevy Impala in the color of Sinister Blue. It was so pretty and it even had the new car smell.

Than we were off to the WORLD!!!!

We had printed off directions, however we found it easier just to follow the overhead signs and soon enough we saw the sign that said: "WALT DISNEY WORLD RESORT - WHERE DREAMS COME TRUE".

SCRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMM!!!!!!!

Next Up
1. The Check-in

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
How can you not look? They're frickin' hilarious.

I look forward to the rest of your trip report. It's always fun to hear from other Canadians in the World.

August/September 2007 - All-Star Sports January 2009 - Pop Century February 2010 - Pop Century
Old 12-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
DisneyLily
DIS Veteran

Thanks for joining me!! I was afraid that nobody would read this so far, i'm not good at writing things. Congratulations on your upcoming baby!!

Old 12-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
Mr. & Mrs. Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLily View Post
Thanks for joining me!! I was afraid that nobody would read this so far, i'm not good at writing things. Congratulations on your upcoming baby!!
Thanks so much! We're very excited.

August/September 2007 - All-Star Sports January 2009 - Pop Century February 2010 - Pop Century
Old 12-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
DisneyLily
DIS Veteran

Wednesday, December 10th 2008 (Check-In)

While my dad was driving to the Polynesian Resort, I realized one thing which is that you cannot get lost in Walt Disney World, and if you do than there are plently of signs to help you find your way back.

I got really exicted when I saw the entrance sign to the Magic Kingdom - you know... the place where you have to pay for parking if you are not a Walt Disney World Hotel Guest -. The reason why I got so excited was because we were almost home!!!!

(Intermission - typing this is making me cry)

So, we drove to the Polynesian (finally) and we found a parking spot outside the Great Ceremonial House. We did not take our luggage in because we were not sure if our room was ready yet. The check-in line was not long at all, in fact we were served as soon as we entered the line up.

As my mother was giving the lady at the check-in counter our information I snapped this shot

We were than given these leis:

And than we found out that our room would be in the longhouse Tahiti!! Now, Tahiti is quite a distance away from the Great Cermonial House, but that does not matter because that walk from Tahiti to the Great Cermonial House is lovely!!

So after getting our room keys we headed off to our longhouse.

Our room was quite lovely inside:

The pictures above in order are: bed, chair, daybed, lamp, side view of lamp, mirror, painting, phone and carpet.

The following pictures are the views from our room:

Up Next
1. The Evening and Pictures of the Lobby!!

Old 12-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
DisneyLily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. & Mrs. Smith View Post
Thanks so much! We're very excited.
I bet!!!

Old 12-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
Mr. & Mrs. Smith

Oooh, the Poly looks so nice. We visited when we had lunch at Kona and I just loved the theming. Maybe someday we can save our pennies and stay there.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
DisneyLily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. & Mrs. Smith View Post
Oooh, the Poly looks so nice. We visited when we had lunch at Kona and I just loved the theming. Maybe someday we can save our pennies and stay there.
It is an amazing resort due to the themeing!! Kona Cafe is awesome =D

Old 01-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I ate at O'hana's.
I wish we would of went to Kona's Cafe too.
Bump,
hope you come back.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #11
noahdove
DIS Veteran

I am in, waiting to hear more

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: