Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
lisaradz
Mouseketeer

Using Costco travel??

We used Costco for our land & sea vacation for the hefty gift card. Has anyone ever used Costco travel for just the DCL cruise, RCCL or NCL? How did it go? With our land & sea, I knew exactly what I wanted but with 7 day cruise, there seem to be more options with planning. I'm thinking maybe direct is the way to go in case I need to make changes...any thoughts?

lisaradz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

I have heard people complain about trying to reach a person there to make changes to their ressies. And I have also heard that their reps are not very knowlegable about DCL.

People have recently posted that COSTCO will no longer take a transferred reservation since the commission percentages are less for that type of ressie.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
RussN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaradz View Post
We used Costco for our land & sea vacation for the hefty gift card. Has anyone ever used Costco travel for just the DCL cruise, RCCL or NCL? How did it go? With our land & sea, I knew exactly what I wanted but with 7 day cruise, there seem to be more options with planning. I'm thinking maybe direct is the way to go in case I need to make changes...any thoughts?
I used Costco for my EC 2006 cruise and don't have any complaints. No issues and everyone seemed very helpful. Then it again, it has been 2.5 years since I used them last.
RussN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
strega7
Mouseketeer

We used Costco in 2007 for our Western and they did a great job. I used them again for our Feb 2009 because of our previous experience and because of the gift card....definately a different experience this time. Everytime I have called, I have been on the phone for over an hour, I had to change some ressies around due to one family deciding not to go, and some of our other family taking thier place, that turned out to be a mess....got double charged for their insurance....had a horrible time trying to get the costco rep to understand how they got double charged (luckily I was able to get her to realize my parents were charged double our insurance price after arguing with her for about 15 minutes and almost in tears!). They definately seem not as well trained as the first time we used them. Also, on another note, we had the opportunity to get a $1600 discount off of our cruise thru my husbands work, if we had booked thru Disney we could have kept our staterooms originally reserved, and the dining seating and just transfer to get the huge discount. Because we booked thru Costco, we had to cancel entire thing and re-book, loosing our cabins, ressies and dinner seating.....Next time (if there is one) we will book thru Disney itself and transfer to a deal if one should come up at a later time.
strega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

We transferred our ressie back when they still took them. I called just today to check on the fuel surcharge. Had a very knowledgeable rep and was only on the phone for 15 min. I also had to make major changes a few monthes back and it did take a long call but it was all done correctly. I would reccomend them. And the hefty gift card is a great bonus!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
disneylove69
DIS Veteran

I did my 2008 through Sams Club and had no problems.
disneylove69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Interpol
Mouseketeer

I just called Costco Travel for a quote on a 3-day Bahamas cruise for May 2009. The agent I spoke to knew about the Kids Cruise Free deal and quoted me a price that was much lower than DCL's website for a Category 6 stateroom with 2 adults and 2 kids. She also mentioned that we would receive a $125 Costco gift card for this reservation.

The last time I booked a land/sea package thru Costco for October 2008 for 2 staterooms (3 adults and 2 kids), we received a gift card for $500.
Interpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
Joan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol View Post
I just called Costco Travel for a quote on a 3-day Bahamas cruise for May 2009. The agent I spoke to knew about the Kids Cruise Free deal and quoted me a price that was much lower than DCL's website for a Category 6 stateroom with 2 adults and 2 kids. She also mentioned that we would receive a $125 Costco gift card for this reservation.

The last time I booked a land/sea package thru Costco for October 2008 for 2 staterooms (3 adults and 2 kids), we received a gift card for $500.
With the kids free promo the price is the same as you would get on DCL.com no further discounts are allowed on the cruise fare itself. It could be that when you looked on the DCL site you didn't go all the way through to get the kids free price. There are certain steps you need to take to see the discounted total. Also the first price you see on Disney's site includes transfers and insurance which you may not have had included when booked through Costco
Joan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
Interpol
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan1 View Post
With the kids free promo the price is the same as you would get on DCL.com no further discounts are allowed on the cruise fare itself. It could be that when you looked on the DCL site you didn't go all the way through to get the kids free price. There are certain steps you need to take to see the discounted total. Also the first price you see on Disney's site includes transfers and insurance which you may not have had included when booked through Costco
Ah, I see. You are correct, I didn't go all the way through the booking steps on DCL's site.

Regardless, I'm still planning to go with Costco for the gift card and their cheaper travel insurance.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
Tink113
DIS Veteran

Carefully with Costco's travel insurance! i booked with them for our Dec 07 cruise and luckily nothing went wrong. I went to book 10 of us for our family May 09 cruise & after looking over the travel insurance more carefully with my parents joining us, I noticed that costco left a ton out. For example, Hurricane's are not covered with Costco insurance. Missing something due to hurricanes is not considered a trip interruption... I called & asked. So i canceled my costco insurance & went with insurmytrip.com

Oh, and I would never book with them again now that you can't transfer. I have easily spent 8 hours on the phone in hold time ect for all the things to change or add. Plus Costco charges $25 per change to a room, so when I moved my brother from our room to my older brothers & My nephew to ours it was $100.00!!! $25.00 to move my bother out of mine, $25.00 to move my brother into the other room, $25.00 to move my nephew out of his, & $25.00 to move him into ours. I would never have done it, but this was the only way to have a castaway member in each cabin.

DU & other's are offering great incentives. Try them.
2001 Nov. 7 Night Eastern on the Magic * 2007 Dec. 7 Night Western on the Magic (Honeymoon Cruise) 2009 May 16: 7 Night Western on the Magic FAMILY CRUISE * 2010 Jan 7 Night Western * 2011 Jan 29th 7 Night Eastern FAMILY Cruise * 2012 May 19th 7 Night Eastern Family Fantasy (GOLD) Cruise * 2013 March 30th 7 Night Western Family Fantasy Cruise
Tink113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
Interpol
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink113 View Post
Carefully with Costco's travel insurance! i booked with them for our Dec 07 cruise and luckily nothing went wrong. I went to book 10 of us for our family May 09 cruise & after looking over the travel insurance more carefully with my parents joining us, I noticed that costco left a ton out. For example, Hurricane's are not covered with Costco insurance. Missing something due to hurricanes is not considered a trip interruption... I called & asked. So i canceled my costco insurance & went with insurmytrip.com
Not sure who you talked to, but you received incorrect information.

It's clearly stated on Costco Travel's website and on their Travel Insurance coverage terms and conditions that hurricanes (both at home and at your vacation destination) are covered.

Also, Costco Executive members receive double benefits for free (i.e., $100,000 coverage for trip cancellation instead of $50,000).
Old 12-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Perhaps they have changed the company they do their travel insurance through but others have had this problem with their travel insurance not covering hurricane issues in the past. If they have changed their coverage to include it, then that is good.

If you are referring to DCL's travel insurance, anything is less expensive and it doesn't cover any preexisting conditions with the effective date being the date final payment is due for the cruise. Going through other companies on your own can get better coverage at a lower rate and most companies have a kids covered for free policy. You may want to look into that before purchasing Costco's insurance.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
mhuppman
Earning My Ears

Costco Cancellation / Rebook Policy?

A friend of mine booked a 7-day Eastern Caribbean Cruise for her family. On the Monday before the cruise, her father in-law passed away, and they sought to rebook the cruise through Disney, but was directed back to Costco, who does not seem to be willing to allow a cancel or a rebook. She opted out of trip insurance...

Is anyone aware of any tactics she can take to recoup to $6,000. she has apparantly lost. Costco has only said they would "do what they can to elevate her concerns to the next level".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million!!
mhuppman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuppman View Post
A friend of mine booked a 7-day Eastern Caribbean Cruise for her family. On the Monday before the cruise, her father in-law passed away, and they sought to rebook the cruise through Disney, but was directed back to Costco, who does not seem to be willing to allow a cancel or a rebook. She opted out of trip insurance...

Is anyone aware of any tactics she can take to recoup to $6,000. she has apparantly lost. Costco has only said they would "do what they can to elevate her concerns to the next level".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million!!
Sorry, but if your friend did not purchase travel insurance then she will not be recovering any of the cost of the cruise that she lost by cancelling a week or less before the cruise when the penalty is 100% of the money paid. This is what insurance is for. Even if she had purchased trip insurance, if her FIL died from a preexisting condition [even if he was not going to go on the cruise] then she would not have been eligible for a refund of any kinds with any policy that did not cover PECs, which DCL's own insurance does not cover. Costco is putting in a request to DCL to reconsider and go against DCL's own rules but DCL does not have to do anything. Many people have posted on the board of similar cases and DCL has not bent the rules for anyone since announcing last year that they were going to be strictly enforcing their cancellation policies. If they allowed anyone who had to cancel a cruise to just change their dates then there would be no reason for anyone to purchase travel insurance.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
mhuppman
Earning My Ears

Sad but True

Thanks, Lisa. Thanks for your response.

I can certainly understand this position, however it is leaving a bad taste in the mouth of this person who has never cruised with Disney and is going through a tough loss. I'd think they'd reconsider in this troubling economic time. This individual had been saving for several years for this once-in-a-lifetime family vacation....

Have a great day!! Mike
mhuppman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: