Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

Dr wants to discuss MRI results in person-do I panic?

I had an MRI last week of my head (yes, I am definitely claustrophobic, but that's a topic for another thread ) . The nurse called today to say that I needed to make an apt to come in and discuss the results with my dr. I explained to her that I just started a new job and don't have many sick days, and if everything was fine, couldn't they just say so over the phone?!? She hemmed and hawed, and wouldn't tell me anything, just said that I should come in. I asked, "like today?" and she said no, not necessarily today.

So is the dr. just yanking my chain and trying to justify the expense of this "fun" test by explaining it to me in person, or should I panic now I honestly didn't think anything would come of it, I'm 43, just started a new job, and have been having headaches/tingling/dropping of things/vertigo, but dr. said it could be premenopause, stress, etc.

I have from now until Friday to worry....

Thanks for any opinions...

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Jenvenza
Ratted out her husband's lack of pony knowledge for a tag!

My doctor wanted me to do the same thing with my MRI - but I think it is honestly just so they can get another co-pay. I would try not to worry about it to much and just get in whenever you can.
Jenvenza is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
yoopermom

I really hope that's true, but I've known every employee at this small town clinic for years, and I basically used my "teacher voice" on this nurse to enforce how serious it was if I take a half day off only to have her say, "What a nice brain you have". I obviously don't WANT anything to BE wrong, but if I burn a half sick day for no good reason, I'm going to be ticked. (DH thinks we can just use it for our Xmas card picture. "Here's Terri's brain". haha)
Terri
Old 12-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
JARNJ3
DIS Veteran

I met with my doctor to discuss MRI results as well.

When I had the test (open MRI), I asked the technician, "I know you can't tell me what you saw, but you wouldn't let me go home if you saw something right?"

He replied - "You can go home......"

When I met with the doctor, we discussed the results (there was nothing there) and she gave me meds for chronic "muscular" headaches. I still choose to take advil and tylenol instead of the meds......
Old 12-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Since it wasn't urgent that you come in immediately I would say something minor is up. Maybe another test needs to be done.

I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you! It's stressful to wait, I know.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
yoopermom

Oh, good, that leads to my joke about the "open" MRI. When I walked in the room and saw that it was an open one, I relaxed. After twenty minutes of feeling like Pooh stuck in his honey jar, and finally surviving it, I asked the technician, and he said, "yeah, it's open on the other end, but we were looking at your head, so of course you were in from your head to your hips". So much for the joy of an "open" MRI!

Terri
Old 12-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Is there any way to speak to the doctor over the phone just to see what's up?

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Barb D
DIS Veteran

I have a cyst in my head, and get MRIs or CT scans frequently to check on it. (It's not doing anything, so there it stays.) The first few times I had to go in for the results, even though they and I knew it was nothing. They finally started being willing to give me the results over the phone.

It's most likely nothing, but they probably have a policy of giving results in person.
Barb D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

As long as they didn't suggest you "bring along your DH or another family member" - as they did when my friend was diagnosed with breast cancer - I think you're safe..

There could be some things he would like to explain - in person - or, he just wants another co-pay.. Take your pick..
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and that’s where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
Michelle67
I guess I shouldn't wonder why my kids think I'm crazy
I guaran-darn-tee ya!
I don't do innards

Try not to panic. It's usually been my experience that doctors want to discuss all major test results in person.

I've been BOOed by WDWBarb
Michelle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #11
yoopermom

Now I feel better. You're right See-Ann (sorry, that's how I think of your name, literally!), she didn't say, "Bring a driver", which is a good thing!

I think I'll postpone it until the Monday before Xmas when I have off, and then it REALLY better not be bad news!

Thanks all!
Terri
Old 12-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

How well do you know the doctor? I would ask him to give me a call. There is no way I could wait. (My breast cancer results were given to me over the phone by my NP of twenty years, my doc was off that day and they knew I wanted the results asap. Besides, I told them in my best nurse voice I wasn't waiting. ) Good luck, am praying for good results for you.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
Kickapoo Joie Juice
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Ann View Post
As long as they didn't suggest you "bring along your DH or another family member" - as they did when my friend was diagnosed with breast cancer - I think you're safe..

There could be some things he would like to explain - in person - or, he just wants another co-pay.. Take your pick..

oooh, the hypochondriac in me is loving that answer.

I freak out every time I have to have anything measured/biopsied/poked...
Kickapoo Joie Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #14
yoopermom

I'm not a hypochondriac, but I do have issues with anxiety, and my blood pressure went through the roof at having to have this stupid discussion with the nurse!

Did I mention that if I go in this Friday I get told the results by my actual doctor, but if I wait until the Monday before Xmas I'll get told them by the physician's assistant? Would my dr. leave that kind of duty in the hands of a pa if it was bad? I'm going with the "all is good" mindset for right now (yes, I'm paddling down the banks of "da Nile"!).
Terri
Old 12-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
DLSuperVet
I stepped in gum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopermom View Post
I'm not a hypochondriac, but I do have issues with anxiety, and my blood pressure went through the roof at having to have this stupid discussion with the nurse!

Did I mention that if I go in this Friday I get told the results by my actual doctor, but if I wait until the Monday before Xmas I'll get told them by the physician's assistant? Would my dr. leave that kind of duty in the hands of a pa if it was bad? I'm going with the "all is good" mindset for right now (yes, I'm paddling down the banks of "da Nile"!).
Terri
They typically want the face to face to ensure they're talking to you. Patient confidentiality and all. Since this is a follow up they most likely won't be charging you a co-pay unless your doc is heartless. I wouldn't worry about the prognosis. If it was a dire situation you'd be going in a lot sooner.

Good luck.
DLSuperVet is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: