Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
Candice30
World's Greatest Aunt! -- or so the kids tell me.

The Great and Powerful Oz took a 2nd Solo Trip!- Updated 01.08.09

Hey, can I still be the great and powerful oz without the kids with me? anyway, here goes!

Pretrip

So I decided after my trip with the kids in July that I needed a Disney fix again before the year was out. I tried coaxing Glendamax into going and she just about had one foot…okay maybe one toe on the plane but unfortunately it wasn’t to be. I was also just missing other Disney friends by a matter of days so it was to be a solo trip after all. There is something about having an AP burning a hole in your pocket. I just had to go and I started to get excited about embarking on my 2nd solo trip to the world. I was excited to finally attend MNSSHP and the food & wine festival. I was also determined to try a restaurant solo…we will see. On with the show!

Day 1 – 10/27/08

I had attended a 30-hour marathon scrapbooking event the day before so a super early flight was out of the question. I had my mom pick me up at 8 am for my 10:30 flight. I am always nervous about getting hung up at security. Turns out I shouldn’t have stressed. I arrived at the airport at 8:30 and headed to security. Why is it that I always get nervous when going through security like I did something wrong. My hands get sweaty and my voice cracks. I made it through with no issues and was at my gate by 8:45 am. Okay………now what! I called my mom to let her know I was at the gate and stopped by Burger King to grab breakfast. Not my first choice but there wasn’t a line so I decided to stop there. $5 for a breakfast sandwich, hash browns, and the nastiest coffee you ever tasted. Where oh where is the Starbucks? I swear tasted like the water they used to clean the pots. I chucked it and stopped to pick up a vitamin water instead.

I had plans of not doing this trip so commando and already was failing as it was only 9:00 am and I was at the gate ready to go. So like a good little girl, I started this trip report and decided to text some disfriends and make them jealous that I was going . I flew southwest which I hadn’t done in awhile and got to check out the new boarding system. I was lucky to get the exit row. I always seem to get the really fun flight attendants on my southwest flights. One of them would burst out into song here and there (usually set to the zip-a-dee-doo-da theme). After singing she announced – “southwest, cheap fares and even cheaper entertainment!” She went on with the emergency procedures and told us about the oxygen masks and that it was $1.25 for the first minute and 30 cents each additional minute. She was a real hoot.

I finally fell asleep and awoke to the same flight attendant singing again. When we landed she gave the usual speech about staying seated until we arrived at the gate and that they could see us if we moved. When the fasten seatbelt sign went off, she exclaimed “NOW GET OUT!” It was a great flight and I was ready for my Disney adventure.

In all my excitement, I went to terminal A baggage claim and after wandering around the whole 1st floor I finally decided to go back up and ask for directions. I missed that whole terminal B sign thing and finally made my way to ME. I checked in and informed them I would be using resort airline check-in as I was flying back on Airtran. I was on the bus quickly. I love traveling by ME. Not sure why others mind it but I love riding with all the other excited people and I could watch the corny video over and over again. The only drawback, I got the same driver the kids and I had and he had the same corny jokes at the same exact moments. He just couldn’t deliver them very well.

I arrived at POP around 2-2:30pm and was checked in by a very friendly CM. They were doing the hustle in the lobby and everyone was really getting into it.

The person checking me in was dancing the whole time. Though I love my deluxe resorts, it was great to be back at POP. My room was ready and I headed out to find it. I was in the 80s building behind a rubix cube on the top floor with a view of Mr & Mrs Potato Head.

Seemed far until I discovered the shortcut to the bus stop around the back parking lot- YEAH! The kids and I stayed in a preferred room before so we didn’t explore this area that much when we were here. I will make certain to stop and take lots of photos later.

I was ready to head to Epcot and experience the food & wine festival. I hit spaceship earth first. The kids and I never made it here in July so I was determined to go there first. The new ending was so cute and I can’t wait to ride again and choose a different outcome.

Since I wanted to not do things commando, I decided to leave the rides until later. I headed to club cool for a drink and then into world showcase.

I stopped to watch some of the goings on around me.

I was getting hungry and just wasn’t thinking. Hello…you are there for food & wine festival and you can’t decide what to eat? I totally forgot and grabbed the 1st thing in sight. The sun was out and I had pants on and was ready to sit and eat. I grabbed fish & chips from UK Fish & Co. and a water ($11). It was really good but such a small portion. Lots of salt and vinegar on the fries – YUM! I knew where I was headed next. A grey goose slush in France ($9). Oh so good! Unlike last trip, I took my time and walked slowly around world showcase. I remembered to stop in China for my mom’s cup this time and checked that off of my list of things to do. If any of you read my trip with the kids in July, you know that I forgot this little item and that I blamed it on the kids when grilled by my mom about her souvenir. I know bad, but I got it this time and of course a few things for me.

Unfortunately, the slush filled me up and it wasn’t to be to partake in the food & wine festival booths just yet. I headed back to future world and checked out a few stores. I was in search of a shirt to wear to the MNSSHP the next night. No such luck so I headed to test track. Single rider line rocks. I was on in 5 minutes and got a couple of rides in. I decided to try my luck at soarin and was on in 10-15 minutes – YEAH!

After walking around a bit, I was supposed to head over to MKG for EMH but I was close enough to world showcase to smell the food & wine festival and my feet just started walking that way and I suddenly found room in my stomach. I stopped at 5 booths. Yes, I said 5! They were only 2 bites of food really but I pretty much rolled out of Epcot later that night. I stopped in:

Mexico City - $3.75 for quesadilla con chorizo – delicious!

Austria, Vienna - $3.50 for beef goulash with bacon dumpling – this was just okay and in need of salt!

China – chicken sha cha – kind of a chicken skewer – I didn’t like this at all as I wasn’t entirely sure the chicken was cooked thru.

(sorry photo won't load)
India – samosa with tamarind sauce – the samosa was really good but the sauce unfortunately would have been better if warm.

Japan – California rolls – very good!

Sorry but I was too busy eating to remember to take photos! I was going to hang around as Kool and the Gang was the act tonight but I just needed to walk the food off. I ended up back at the entrance so decided to head out to MKG via monorail. The stand by lines were around 10 minutes. So riding was easy. Some lines posted 20 minute waits but the waits still were only 10 minutes.

I got in 2 rides on BTMRR – love this ride at night; a ride on splash mountain; philharmagic (my favorite attraction); pirates of the Caribbean and space mountain. I unfortunately had an incident with my bra. All I will say is thank goodness I was in the back seat of the car and the ride was in the dark or the other riders would have gotten more than they bargained for. I quickly restored everything where it was supposed to be before getting off. I’m sure the people in front of me were wondering what I was back there making so much noise about. But just as I would get things under control, another dip would come and I’d have to start all over again! Okay…enough said on the subject.

I was praying and hoping that the dole whip place was open and YEAH…it was! It was so good and I ate it on my way out of the park. I was beat and made a quick stop at the food court for milk for breakfast and dare I say, yes another dessert ($5). I hadn’t gotten a chance to try the tie-dye cheesecake so I went for it on top of the dole whip. It wasn't very good and I decided to chuck it after a couple of bites.

Great 1st day and unlike my 1st solo trip, I wasn’t missing the family at all. I was having way too much fun alone!

Up Next: My 1st solo Disney restaurant meal, my 1st MNSSHP, and getting spotted by disers!

Last edited by Candice30; 01-08-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
vdarrell
DIS Veteran

Candice(OZ......) how dare you go again without me. You could have waited on me I leave in 15 more days.

Sounds as if you made the rounds sampling around the world. Glad you got your mom's mug.

Okay I'm ready to read more.
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

We stayed in the 80's building, but room 9000 something. The CM told me they mixed up the numbers on the 80's building and 90's building. We thought we were far away until we found the parking lot next to the bus pick up.

I thought the room at POP was really clean and nice. My dh didn't care for all the Icons outside. But he agreed the rooms were really nice.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
maroo
DIS Veteran

I admire you for going on a solo trip....

My disfriends are telling me that I need to do that...and your TR is inspiring!

Love the flight attendant! Sounds like she likes her job! Which is very nice to hear.

I have to tell you...when I was in 6th grade (which was a LONG time ago) I went with my teacher on Space Mountain...the teacher was a friend of our family...anyway...SHE had the same experience with her bra, too!! Too funny! And I was cracking up as a 6th grader!!! And again reading your TR!

Anyway...I am on board and subscribing to your TR...
Old 11-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
Candice30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdarrell View Post
Candice(OZ......) how dare you go again without me. You could have waited on me I leave in 15 more days.

Sounds as if you made the rounds sampling around the world. Glad you got your mom's mug.

Okay I'm ready to read more.
as soon as i posted my day 1 i thought "oh no vdarell is going to have my head!" sorry but looks like you are going anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
I thought the room at POP was really clean and nice. My dh didn't care for all the Icons outside. But he agreed the rooms were really nice.
my only complaint about POP is the small room but i didn't hesitate to stay there again this trip as i was solo. i do overall really think this is a cool resort too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
I admire you for going on a solo trip....

My disfriends are telling me that I need to do that...and your TR is inspiring!

Love the flight attendant! Sounds like she likes her job! Which is very nice to hear.

I have to tell you...when I was in 6th grade (which was a LONG time ago) I went with my teacher on Space Mountain...the teacher was a friend of our family...anyway...SHE had the same experience with her bra, too!! Too funny! And I was cracking up as a 6th grader!!! And again reading your TR!

Anyway...I am on board and subscribing to your TR...
thanks for joining in on my trip. i had a great time and the flight attendant was pretty cool. i always love encountering people who truly enjoy their jobs.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
MovienutNiffer
Here's looking at you kid.

Subscribing! My sister did a quick 2 day trip to WDW to do some Christmas shopping and splurged on a park ticket while there. She said she wished she could have taken her time while down there. You are so lucky! Can't wait to read more!

You must remember this
A kiss is just a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh.
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
sherreis
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sending me the PM. You're off to a great start - and, I totally admire you for going solo. My boys would kill me if I left them at home and headed to the land of the mouse. You accomplished so much for your 1st day. Imagine if you were going commando....

Looking forward to hearing more.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:36 AM   #8
Glendamax
LOVES Old English Roses china at the Grand Floridian!

Hey! Sorry I've been MIA lately! I'll try to do be better, and stick around for your report!

-G
Old 11-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
Lan
D23 Charter Year Member

I'm here. I just got back from Disney on Sunday. Then I woke up Monday with a stomach bug. Thanks goodness it lasted less than 24 hours.
WDW - Pin & Vinylmation Events Sept 12-15
WDW - Food & Wine Oct 11-14
WDW - Dec 5-8

WDW Marathon Weekend Jan 7-12
WDW Princess Half Marathon Weekend Feb 19-23
DCL Magic - Southern Caribbean Cruise Sept 27- Oct 4
Blog: DizThruBrownEyes.com
Old 11-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
WDisneyWforMe
Mouseketeer

What fun! I'm along for the ride. We are staying at POP for the first time this December trip! Just 17 more DAYS!! I'm a bit over excited as you can tell. Then on March 14th I leave for my first solo trip! I think you might have posted on my thread about it over in the Disney Single area. And just to be a bit greedy I'm praying for a bounceback offer during our December trip

Your report is great so far! By the way what a delightful plane trip, not the norm!!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
Candice30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovienutNiffer View Post
Subscribing! My sister did a quick 2 day trip to WDW to do some Christmas shopping and splurged on a park ticket while there. She said she wished she could have taken her time while down there. You are so lucky! Can't wait to read more!
thanks for joining me...i was determined to slow down this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherreis View Post
Thanks for sending me the PM. You're off to a great start - and, I totally admire you for going solo. My boys would kill me if I left them at home and headed to the land of the mouse. You accomplished so much for your 1st day. Imagine if you were going commando....

Looking forward to hearing more.
glad you found me. you have to figure out a way to keep it from them. come on...you can be sneaky...just don't do like i did and buy the kids gifts from disney; totally blew my cover! i guess i was still high off of the disney magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendamax View Post
Hey! Sorry I've been MIA lately! I'll try to do be better, and stick around for your report!

-G
i was about to divorce you. glad you showed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan View Post
I'm here. I just got back from Disney on Sunday. Then I woke up Monday with a stomach bug. Thanks goodness it lasted less than 24 hours.
glad to hear you are feeling better...i wish i was back at disney now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDisneyWforMe View Post
What fun! I'm along for the ride. We are staying at POP for the first time this December trip! Just 17 more DAYS!! I'm a bit over excited as you can tell. Then on March 14th I leave for my first solo trip! I think you might have posted on my thread about it over in the Disney Single area. And just to be a bit greedy I'm praying for a bounceback offer during our December trip

Your report is great so far! By the way what a delightful plane trip, not the norm!!
i was hoping for a bounceback offer when i went and i wasn't aware that they had stopped them as i called about not having it in my room. hopefully a good deal will come out as the upcoming april trip is going to really kill me financially but mom is worth it.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
Candice30

Day 2 – 10/28/08

I slept in this morning which for me is 8 am. I had breakfast in the room (cereal) and was ready to go by 9 am. First day weather was so great and I couldn’t wait to enjoy the sun as it was so cold at home. In fact I was informed that it had snowed. Uhhhhhhh Ohhhhhhhh…reality check; apparently, Orlando was experiencing some unusually cold weather. The news report said it hadn’t been that cold in Orlando during this time of October since the 50s. Not sure how true this was but it was really cold. I decided to try and brave it but by the time I got to the steps of my floor, I was freezing. I turned around and at least decided to dump the flip-flops for socks and sneakers.

I rushed over to the food court to grab some coffee and head out to the bus stop. I was even colder by the time I got to the food court. So cold I had to lay down $50 for a new jacket. I just couldn’t bare it any longer. In fact, the CM at the gift shop were in awe of the number of people buying jackets. Many people were carrying around 4 or 5 of them for the whole family. The racks were emptying fast! Here is a pic of my new jacket. And luckily, it was just the color I needed to complete my Halloween outfit for the party tonight.

Turns out, the cold front would stay and you will notice my jeans and this jacket appearing in all photos from here on out. IT WAS SO COLD! I headed to DHS today. I headed to Toy Story first to grab a fastpass. The return was already 12:30. I decided to walk around and hit some of the areas I seem to always skip running around with the family. Okay, truthfully…..I got lost looking for RNR. Shhhh… don’t tell anyone! I also got a chance to catch some of the street acts which I never seem to see. I finally found the right road to RNR and of course ran to the single rider line. 15 minutes later I had been on twice and it was awesome as always! The second time I rode I was on with a guy who was riding while his wife waited to ride with the baby swap. Unfortunately for his first ever ride on RNR, none of the sound effects were working. There was no screech when we took off; no lights on the signs; no aerosmith. The ride also seemed to go slower. What a bummer. He had no idea about the single rider line so I informed him and after he swapped with his wife, he was going to go on again.The people I passed twice in the stand by line did not look happy but I say, hey, dump your family and jump in this line! I tried to get on a 3rd time just as quick but it took 20 minutes to ride. Normally not an issue but I was getting spoiled.

I decided to hit another one of my favorites, Beauty & the Beast. I am a sucker for the shows and the family tries to skip them. I was sad that the opening act (singing group) wasn’t there. We just sat around in silence until the show started but the show was great as always. The wind was whipping thru that theatre and I needed to get inside for a little while. I headed to another favorite, the great movie ride. I was walking rather slow until I saw these really 2 cute guys going in ahead of me. I of course quickened my pace so that I could follow them like a lost puppy. They smelled so good…yes I was standing that close. People actually thought I was with them. Couldn’t quite tell if they were a couple. There were little signs but I kept my watch.

The attendant let them thru and stopped me just when I reached the front. Luckily, there is always room for 1 and they squeezed me on…YEAH! I wasn’t too happy about getting the wheelchair row in the back as you usually are behind the rest of the car in the scenes and commentary. But hey, I am sitting next to these 2 cute guys and could just soak in their cologne. The heck with the ride right? NOT!!!! Just when I was relaxing, one put their arm around the other…..shoot! Oh well, no luck today and I guess I can’t follow them around. Ironically I would bump into them later that night. Sorry, no nerve to take a picture and besides it was time for toy story so I ran over there. Definitely missed out on the fun of the line heading thru fastpass but I was on in about 5 minutes.

It was finally time for my ADR at Sci-Fi. Yes, I am finally going to build up my courage to do my 1st Disney restaurant solo.

I felt a little funny checking in like the CM were staring but probably my imagination and insecurities. I took some photos while I waited.

I was the only one checking in so nothing else to do but wait and stare. I was called for about 5 minutes later. This was my 1st time eating here as well and the atmosphere was cute. I was hoping and praying for a back seat in the car and my prayers were answered. I sat behind a family and my waitress was really fun and attentive. I have to say that I did feel funny at first, like people were staring but it could have been all the flashing from my camera.

I was starving so decided to indulge in an appetizer (onion rings), entrée (beef & bleu salad), and dessert (apple crisp), raspberry lemondade – meal $45. Ouch! Expensive for one person but I wanted to try a little of everything and linger around at the meal for a change. I was a little disappointed that there weren’t more pics on screen of sci-fi movies (a lot of advertisements and cartoons showing instead). The food was really good though and my server snapped these pics of me before I left.

YEAH…I DID IT…I CAN EAT IN A RESTAURANT AT DISNEY ALONE….Okay, so there were other people in the car but they weren’t exactly talking to me and they did leave me after awhile.

I headed out; actually rolled out with my full belly and headed over to sounds dangerous. I love this show even though I know what is coming and it was closed when I was there in July. My luck, only one side of my ear phones was working. It wasn’t too crowded in there and after fishing around in the dark, I got another pair and was able to enjoy it. I was getting pretty tired and needed a break so I headed back to POP. I stopped off to fill my mug at the food court with soda and headed to the room for a nap as MNSSHP was later that night. I also checked in on things at home.

Up Next: MNSSHP continued and disers!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #13
WDisneyWforMe
Mouseketeer

Another great installment! Good for you dining at Sci-Fi, no one is looking at you, they are involved in their own vacation, unless of course you are cute guys and then YOU would be looking at them

PS your jacket is REALLY cute!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #14
MovienutNiffer
Here's looking at you kid.

Love the update! Normally I wouldn't be afraid eating alone but Disney is a bit daunting! You are a brave soul!

You must remember this
A kiss is just a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh.
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #15
maroo
DIS Veteran

Good installment!! You are so brave! I don't think I could ever eat at a sit down restaurant alone...wow. But those single lines for the rollercoaster sound really good!! We didn't even make it to the RNR last time...so...maybe I need to go back!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: