Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #106
DisneyZell
Likes Adventures on the High Seas

Chapter 10: part 3

Back to the room to get ready for our holiday dinner with a special menu that we got to take with us. That was a nice touch. Don't know what I'm going to do with a big red menu, but I have it anyway. This was Semi-formal night so everyone looked good again. It was also lobster night which was just like the past two cruises lobster nights...yuck. I don't know why I bother. The lobster just isn't good in my opinion. Note, though, that I'm from New England...and we are used to that kind of lobster, not the Caribbean kind which just doesn't taste as good in my opinion. Sorry to be negative...but it is what it is. DW was smart and ordered something else. She was right to do that!

Nick wanted to pose in front of the store...

Nick and Connor all dressed up

Chris and Kathryn all dressed up...

DW and Connor looking good.

At some point DNW started not feeling good and she headed out for some air. She turned out to be just fine. But kids being kids...naturally the feeling passed to Nick and he decided he didn't feel good and wanted to go to the bathroom and go outside for a bit. we said fine. So we are sitting there waiting...waiting.

Normally this would not be an issue....but I had planned to surprise DW with a birthday cake on this night for her birthday (which is actually the 29th...shhh, don't tell Mickey). So I'm waiting for them to come back to give the high sign to the head waiter. Plus, we want to scoot so we can go to Who wants to be a Mousketeer...and DW of course doesn't know I'm waiting to do the cake. Our server had not come by with dessert menus....but that was just normal by this point!

finally I got up to go find them and they are out on the deck playing shuffleboard. OOoooooooh I was sooooo mad. His answer? I didn't know! I'm thinking...you should NEVER wander off where I don't know where you went...and add this....I was out of control. Good thing I don't beat my children cause I would have been tempted!

Crisis averted...we got the cake...they sang....DW was surprised (a big advantage that our wait staff was so slow she didn't know anything was out of the ordinary).

Everyone singing

The cake

but by now we were running late for Who wants to be a Mousketeer. We grab the cake and head that way. On the way in they obviously see it and I go back out to ask them to wish her a happy birthday. They didn't seem to want to do that (the host was the assistant cruise director). But said they would try. I was a little disappointed with that to be honest.

They brought us forks and we dug into the cake. It was very good...white cake with strawberry filling. Yum!

With Who Wants to be a Mousketeer they give you numbered slips when you walk in and then a computer randomly picks who gets to go up. We got 36, 37, 38, and 43. Someone else got picked first...and then we got picked! I told you, we were on a roll! Since Nick and I had just done something that morning it was Connor and DW's turn. They headed up and sat down. At that point they remembered it was DW's birthday, so they wished her one at that point. I guess I was satisfied.

In this game you had to answer 5 questions to with the grand prize. DW didn't write down all the questions...so I can't give them all to you...but some included: Where did Cinderella lose her slipper? Which actor played some character in "The Rock" (answer was Sean Connory). There was one more easy one...which DW didn't write down (see what I have to work with? I just can't work under these conditions! I'm the creative guy, not the details guy!). There was a question about a robot which DW and Connor had no idea about so they asked the audience. I had no idea so kept my mouth shut. In fact, I probably wouldn't have gotten that far. good thing she did it! The audience got it right...and they were still alive!

The final question for all the marbles was the name of the boss on the TV series Dinosaurs. Hmmm...well, let's just say that we have never even heard of that...let alone seen it. They had 50:50 left, so they used that and were left with answers B and D. They still had no idea (naturally) so DW told Connor to guess. He guessed B.

What do you think the answer was? If you've been following along and seen our luck (what? you haven't been following along? go back and read. I'll wait. Really, I will. Go ahead. Take your time. ), the answer was B! Woohoo! pure luck. gotta love it. I'd rather be lucky than good, isn't that one of those sayings?? So they both got a Who Wants to be a Mousketeer pin and a magnet desk toy with little Mickey ear clips. It was a very cool prize.

At that point we handed off our other numbers to another family in hopes that they would get called up. Soon after we left and headed out to take pictures.

The boys on a bench

In front of the ring...

Connor wanted this one. Don't know why.

Ah, the irony. All those adults that don't want kids around

And in front of our door...

The stash of stuff that we had gotten from our Fish Extender. Thanks everyone! That really made our week...it was a lot of fun to look for something new every day! Definitely do that if you are going on a trip!

We skipped (obviously) the show for that night, Disney Dreams. We had already done it...so decided we didn't need to see it again. As with the other nights, the kids got booted to the rooms, we grabbed some beer and headed to the show. John Charles was our entertainer that night...he does all sorts of things with different songs...it is very entertaining and the time with him flew by. We definitely wanted to go see his family show as well.

An hanging monkey for Christmas night

time for bed...holy cow what a day! We had a blast...a great way to spend Christmas. I don't think I'd want to do it every year, but this was a real special treat, made even more so by Disney who just does such a great job.

Thanks for putting up with me...hope you enjoyed this installment.

Next up: Chapter 11: Castaway Cay part Deux...the countdown to the end!

Now...go make someone's day!
DisneyZell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:14 AM   #107
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

WOW that was amazing - great photos as always (doens't Mickey look really strange in "normal" clothing). Christmas day on board ship looks really magical - may have to pencil that in for the future.
TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2009, 07:05 AM   #108
MicraPIP
Just Pay it off

Noooooooooooo

OMG... I have been reading every word and loving this

The Reason... I just booked our First Cruise... on the Wonder Dec 23-30 7 Day WC.

I've even been taking notes!!

Keep it up Looking forward to the second of the Double dip...

Love the pics as well!!!!

MicraPIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #109
fey_spirit
DIS Veteran

I'm a little concerned - can we not use cash on board?
I only ever use cash when I go on vacations, it's how I keep track of how much I'm spending...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyZell View Post
I
The rest of the time we just hung out...reading books, kids watched cartoons and wandered a bit. I did got get a Diet Coke (in the 3 cruises I had never gotten anything in the terminal). I tried to pay with cash. No go...they will only accept those evil cards....it starts already!
fey_spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:06 AM   #110
smeecanada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fey_spirit View Post
I'm a little concerned - can we not use cash on board?
I only ever use cash when I go on vacations, it's how I keep track of how much I'm spending...
The ship is cashless. Everything is charged on your KTTW card. You can go Guest Services and settle or prepay your account whenever you wish. We tried paying with cash in the gift shop and discover that we couldn't.
: 1992, 2007, 2013
DCL: AUG07 4day: Wonder, AUG08 15day EB REPO, 04JUL09 EASTERN, 23OCT10 EASTERN, 23AUG11 ALASKA, 25AUG12 NY/BAHAMAS, 24AUG13 FANTASY EASTERN 20SEP14 SOUTHERN
smeecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #111
fey_spirit
DIS Veteran

Can you secure your card with cash instead of a credit card?
Can you use Disney dollars instead of cash?

I really need to find a way to maintain my spending habits so that I don't overdraw without realizing it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeecanada View Post
The ship is cashless. Everything is charged on your KTTW card. You can go Guest Services and settle or prepay your account whenever you wish. We tried paying with cash in the gift shop and discover that we couldn't.
fey_spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:29 AM   #112
smeecanada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fey_spirit View Post
Can you secure your card with cash instead of a credit card?
Can you use Disney dollars instead of cash?

I really need to find a way to maintain my spending habits so that I don't overdraw without realizing it...

Sorry, don't know those answers - maybe someone else does. We've always used a credit card because we are from Canada.
DCL: AUG07 4day: Wonder, AUG08 15day EB REPO, 04JUL09 EASTERN, 23OCT10 EASTERN, 23AUG11 ALASKA, 25AUG12 NY/BAHAMAS, 24AUG13 FANTASY EASTERN 20SEP14 SOUTHERN
Old 02-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #113
PurdyBertnie
"I got my swim trunks and my flippy floppies, I'm flippin burgers you at kinkos straight flippin copies!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyZell View Post
And yes, it was time for bacon. And syrup. A bowl of it actually. Yes, to some of you this might sound gross, but those of you who think that are clearly the folks who have never tried to dip your bacon in a bowl of goodness.

So I am totally loving this I just started reading but HAD to comment on this I LOVE that I am not the only person who thinks this is good, I just told my mom about this and she gives me this look like you are disgusting lol but it seriously is deeeeelicious lol ok I put in my 2 cents lol
Old 03-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #114
tgropp
DIS Veteran

Hope to see the rest of the report. A Christmas cruise sounds like the ultimate vacation
Feb 2013: AKL Club Level / DCL Fantasy Western Cruise / BCV
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #115
MomlvsGoofy
Mouseketeer

Loving your TR! Can you tell me do you have to go to the formal dinner?

1987 offsite/1990 offsite/1996 Fort Wilderness/2008 Pop Century/2010 Pop Century/Podcast cruise 2.0 2010
MomlvsGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #116
pmama
DIS Veteran

Just came across your TR and am LOVING it! I love all the details and pictures. I actually find myself laughing outloud a lot reading your TR. Great writing style. I'm only on the beginning of page 5 so I'm subbing to come back and read more. We are planning our first 4 night cruise on the Wonder in December so I am really enjoying your TR! Can't wait to come back and read more.
pmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:40 AM   #117
smeecanada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomlvsGoofy View Post
The formal dinner hoopla gets blown out of proportion. It's really up to you how big a deal you want to make it. We are not formal dinner type people. We go dressed slightly more than a regular dinner but not overboard. As my DH says he's on vacation. That said, he and DS wear a nice dress shirt and tie with dress pants. DD and I wear a nice dress, but not overly fancy. The waiters will be dressed in a nice outfit, but aren't they always. The menu is a little fancier than normal, but there is still some regular options available.

Just go and enjoy the evening, don't stress out about it. I know it's hard - been there done that. Until you go - it's hard to figure out the expectation level. It's just an option for people to get dress up a little more fancy.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #118
MomlvsGoofy
Mouseketeer

Thanks, I feel better about it. We are not really formal people either. A simple dress and dress shirt and pants are much better for us then a tux and evening dress.

1987 offsite/1990 offsite/1996 Fort Wilderness/2008 Pop Century/2010 Pop Century/Podcast cruise 2.0 2010
MomlvsGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:06 AM   #119
pogopossum
DIS Veteran

as you can read in my (shameless plug) tr "a christmas cruise 08 story" we are not tux on a cruise people either. we wear nice dress slacks/shirts/dresses. i think it goes back to our first cruise in 99, itook coat and tie with me for dinner in lumiere's or palo (we didn't get res), and the people at our table told the waiter that they didn't have dress clothes and weren't coming to dinner the next night, so he said don't do that. so i decided to dress in order to not to show them up. and the ship didn't sink. and we all had a great time. so now i don't pack a jacket anymore, it takes up less of my suitcase room.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #120
DisneyZell
Likes Adventures on the High Seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomlvsGoofy View Post
You already have your answer below, but I'll answer too. First, no you don't have to go. second, you don't have to dress up. completely up to you. Remember, this was our third cruise and we thought it would be fun to dress up...so we did. It's nice to dress up a little...but definately not mandatory by any stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmama View Post
Just came across your TR and am LOVING it! I love all the details and pictures. I actually find myself laughing outloud a lot reading your TR. Great writing style. I'm only on the beginning of page 5 so I'm subbing to come back and read more. We are planning our first 4 night cruise on the Wonder in December so I am really enjoying your TR! Can't wait to come back and read more.
Definately go in December, the decorations, etc...really made it worth it! And thanks for the compliment...good to know you are laughing and not banging your head on the keyboard when you fall asleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogopossum View Post
as you can read in my (shameless plug) tr "a christmas cruise 08 story" we are not tux on a cruise people either. we wear nice dress slacks/shirts/dresses. i think it goes back to our first cruise in 99, itook coat and tie with me for dinner in lumiere's or palo (we didn't get res), and the people at our table told the waiter that they didn't have dress clothes and weren't coming to dinner the next night, so he said don't do that. so i decided to dress in order to not to show them up. and the ship didn't sink. and we all had a great time. so now i don't pack a jacket anymore, it takes up less of my suitcase room.
OK, OK, I'll go read your report! of course I should finish mine first. Hmmm, it's been a while. sorry folks..this whole work thing is getting in the way. I'll try my best to get a new chapter up next week!

Thanks for reading!
DisneyZell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: