Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #31
DisneyZell
Likes Adventures on the High Seas

Chapter 4: Van, Grocery Store, and the terminal

ok, so I promised alot at the end of the last chapter. But I have to be honest, unless I do a severe reduction in my story telling we aren't going to get all of that in. But I'll give it a try.

So I lied a bit at the end of my last chapter, Mickey didn't call to wake us up at 6:45, it was actually Mickey AND Stitch. They were fighting. Very, very funny. So if you stay on property, you HAVE to get a wake-up call. That holds for the cruise too, but we will get there...eventually, we still haven't even made it to the terminal yet! you people are so impatient!

Last cruise we rented a big van to haul the 8 of us to port. That worked just fine, but last time we weren't staying on-property for a few days, and so that just wasn't going to work. DW found Happy Limo (I'm sure by surfing on these boards as she spent many an hour digging through, helping out and liberaly stealing ideas). So they were all set to pick us up at 8am.

I know. 8am. Surely it takes 4 hours to drive to the port, right? 8am? we are going to beat the ship to the port. BUT, with all that DW has done, do I complain? of course I do, but that was before we even left, not when we were at the resort. I'm not that crazy!

Ahem. Anyway, so we dragged our 8,000 suitcases (ok, not really that many, but I think we had 4 big suitcases and 2-3 carryon's...we had alot of stuff. Too much stuff you ask? Alas, another answer for another time. Holy cow, I hope I remember all these things I'm promising to tell you later. I'm sure all of you will remind me, right??? ) to the front desk. I don't think we had to check out because Mickey came and put our bill on the handle of our door.

And guess what??? Much as I referenced in my last report he DID charge us for all that stuff! All those free things that we got just by swiping a plastic non-credit card card? not free. Harumph. (Just in case someone you really believe that I believe that Disney believed they were giving me anything free clearly believe that I believe that I'm insane. No I don't have any idea what that sentance means).

So we walked outside to get in our Happy Limo van. HAPPY LIMO. Hmmm...that man in the hat that appears to be our driver apparently has not read the side of the van he is driving. I think I'll write a letter to the company and suggest that when he drives they have one of those magnetic signs (much like the door signs...but, DOH, that comes later! Oops, there I go again) so he can change the van to read "GRUMPY LIMO". Think of the Disney tie in! Money to be made there. Cha Ching. Anyway, we weren't going to let a grumpy old man make our trip not good!

The big advantage of Happy Limo is you are allowed one stop at a grocery store on the way to the port. Woohoo! Yes, this means Beer. So we stropped at Publix when we were almost there. One thing we screwed up on in our planning was we forgot to bring a soft-sided cooler. We have one. Oh yes we do, from the last cruise. It was sitting nice and dusty and dirty on top of our refrigerator at home (which was sitting unplugged from the ice storm where we lost all our food.

the other good thing about Publix was that I was still coughing up a lung and running out of drugs...so restocking too place. We checked out the soft sided coolers they had...and they were all expensive. But we each grabbed one anyway...as it just wouldn't do to not have beer. And then we found a whole other option. Have you ever been to the grocery store and seen those HOT/COLD bags? They are silver, about 2 foot square? DW has some for taking home cold stuff. At least she used to...now we are on to these cloth bags which she bought because they are easier than the hundreds of plastic bags...but I digress.

These hot/cold bags are about $2 each. So we each bought two. I figured we could put one inside the other when onboard and it should do just fine keeping my drinks cold. Woohoo! saving money already. cha-Ching!

We each grabbed a case of beer (Sam Winter (yum) and some wheat beer (not quite as good). We also each grabbed a six pack of froo-froo drinks for the wives. Oh, sorry, you don't know what froo-froo drinks are? Bacardi Ice is what we purchased in this case, but froo-froo could be anything like that...or even wine coolers. Not big drinkers, our wives. Then again, I'm not a lush either.

We just made our 15 minute limit (actually I have no idea if he would have thrown a fit if we went over it. He was rather grumpy so I'd say yes...but you just never know!) and jumped back into the van. We made it to the port at 9:30. We pulled up and unloaded our bags by gate 3 (at least I think it was gate 3. Here is a spot where GRUMPY Limo helped...he seemed to know where to drop the bags.

Here is where it got funny. A Disney guy walks up and asks us if we know where our ride is. Ahem, we just arrived, sir. OH! scary psycho DISers clearly (well, I'm sure that is what he was thinking, he actually said, ok and verified the time we could actually go in and that our luggage was, indeed, in the right spot). The kids and wives went over to the entrance to the port to wait to go in and we kept our spot right where the porters would come. The kids and wives got to go in at 9:55 (can you believe my memory? incredible that I have this down to the minute...locked up in this steel trap mind of mine. Oh, what? You read that I'm using my wife's journal...DARNIT. thought I could sneak that one by you .

Shortly thereafter the guys took our bags (by the way, the porters are invaluable...on both ends. I remember our last trip when we had rental cars we pulled right up and they unloaded the bags and took them away...and this time they were so nice and helpful...I'm a big fan. they are worth every penny. but I digress). We strolled into the terminal, let our beer slide through the xray and up the escalators we went.

Did I mention we were the first ones in the terminal?

Empty, Empty EMPTY empty!

Did I say empty?

yeah, we were. Very exciting stuff. Except that now we have to wait for 2 hours. DNH had to run over and show his ID, or give his credit card or something (I honestly didn't ask), but I was able to go plop down on the chairs with the family. We were all set, we had our boarding number:

Woohoo! #2. I gave DW a hard time, though because she somehow managed to snag a #1 the last time we were there. What can you do, she is slacking!

We also got our Castaway club lanyards (our neighbors got theirs for the first time), so we quickly looked quite stylish walking around the terminal. I noted that DW also handed me another card that looks suspiciously like the card I was given at All Star Sports. No way! I was not going to fall for that one again. Not this time. Noooooo....I know they are going to actually make me pay!

Now, it was time for pictures.

Christmas decorations were up...this was my favorite.

All the kids looking at the model
DisneyZell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #32
DisneyZell

Chapter 4 part 2!

I guess now would be a good time to tell you about our outfits. We made shirts for this little adventure. Each person got a character that they either chose or suited their personality. more or less.

I got Mickey. Clearly this was because I am regal in nature and will someday preside over the Magic Kingdom. And I'm the one that did them.

DW got Minnie because clearly she belongs with me.

DS10 got Chip and Dale because he is sneaky and likes to have fun. Well, and they are his favorite.

DS6 got Stitch. Let's just say it was a perfect fit!

DNH got Eeyore. ah....I'm going to leave that one alone

DNW got Roo...we were going with a theme here people, work with me!

DNS11 was Tigger, his favorite character. He doesn't, however, bounce like Tigger!

DND8 was Pooh...I love this picture.

On the back we customized it with the name, and of course our neighbors had one girl stick figure...here it is...

In addition we all had New England Patriots santa hats. That got us quite alot of comments at various times, including once when we had to take them off for a pictures....but you have to wait to find out about that! (DARNIT).

Where were we...oh yeah, pictures.

The kids came up with the idea of having the characters sign their shirts...what a great idea! The only bad thing was that at one point I stuck my foot in my mouth when I suggested we turn the shirts in to be signed by everyone. Both DS10 and DNS11 both said "So that's how you did that pillowcase the last time". The only problem was that the pillowcase was delivered home by none other than *sigh*

But luckily that never came back up!

DNW and DNH hanging out before we got onboard.

Mickey and the crew in the terminal. Note what is on the kid's heads. This will come up later

About 10:30 the kids club table opened up so we grabbed the pagers, and got the kids signed up. We also moved DNS11 down so he would be in the same club as DS10. No wristbands yet though...there was a problem.

The rest of the time we just hung out...reading books, kids watched cartoons and wandered a bit. I did got get a Diet Coke (in the 3 cruises I had never gotten anything in the terminal). I tried to pay with cash. No go...they will only accept those evil cards....it starts already!

So, we have our shirts, we have our dining rotation (APLPLAP) and our Table (#16), and we are all ready to go.

At 11:50 (yup, mind like a steel trap!) they called boarding group #2...that's us!

But you will have to wait until next time!

Next up: Chapter 5: Finally! Day 1 onboard the Magic!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #33
nikkistevej
DIS Veteran

Awesome trip report- I'm waiting(and not so patiently) for the next installment I can't believe you guys were first to the terminal- that's nice. Love the pictures!!
Trips: 2005-1st trip to WDW(CBR),2007-WDW(POP)& DCL(Eastern)& bought DVC AKV,2008-WDW(AKV),2009-WDW(SSR)&DCL(Western),2010-WDW(BLT)&DCL(Bahamas), 2011-NCL-Alaska,2012-DCL & AKV for Thanksgiving,2013-1st trip to DLR!!, DCL & WDW(AKV)2014 Spring Break
nikkistevej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #34
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

I remember seeing you all in those shirts in the terminal. Wow - you guys were there first? How very cool! We got there early enough that it wasn't busy in the terminal yet, but it did pick up.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #35
jollytammy
Mouseketeer

Loving your report, and your pictures are absolutely wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Christmas Walt Disney World 2007, Disney Magic Eastern Jan. 2006, Disney Magic Western Jan. 3, 2004
jollytammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #36
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

Great TR-no Advil needed. Thanks for the tips on the cheese sause and apples. That terminal looks great empty. Can't wait for the cruise report.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #37
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

I'm still trying to figure out how you got to the terminal before me! I swore we were the first ones checked off at the gate. It was really nice and empty for awhile, wasn't it? I was just glad that DH put our luggage right by the place where the gates opened. That was just luck on our part.

Loving your TR! It's always nice to read the reports of others on your same cruise.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
SnowWhite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #38
BearFan
It's time to do the Bear Cha Cha Cha!

Happy New Year Zells!
Love reading your TR. Can't wait for more!!

Lisa Marie

Bear down, Chicago Bears.......
BearFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #39
mickeywho?
I think when they became trendy people just assumed the spellings
Gotta love those mounties!

Loving your report! Keep it comin'
March 2014 - Vero Beach Christmas & New Years 2013 - 2014 August 2013 - POFQ & Beach Club for summer heat! March 2013 - Dream Cruise and Vero Beach with our best buds!March 2012 - Vero Beach Christmas 2011 New Year's 2012 - VWL Mar 2011 - 1st time at Vero!Oct 2010 - SSR F&W with the inlaws!May 2010 - Poly & SWW with my big guy!! Christmas and New Years 2009-2010 - HHI Nov 2009 - Just me and my little guy at BWV Jan 2009 - Cruised the Wonder, BCV with best friends! Mar 2008 - "No Kiddies" trip to BWV Feb 2008 - SSR & BWV Aug 2007 - Poly (concierge!) Feb 2007- OKW GV with my family Feb 2006 - POR & WL - first trip with the 4 of us! May 1999 - CSR - first trip with the 3 of us!

(DH) (Me!) (DS16) (DS12) English cocker puppy!
mickeywho? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #40
j2bmickey
Pirates and Disney is the life for me.

Another outstanding start to what is sure to be another great report. I decided not to be a lurker this time, but I may have to egg (I mean encourage) you on to finish before our trip in May (an Eastern this time). I will say that you are my muse for writing my own report.

I am with you on the castle lights. We went to Disneyland for Thanksgiving and I was thinking that I have got to get some of those lights.

That is a great idea for using the shirts as autograph books. I will be interested to find out how often they were used.

June 2010, First dive at EPCOT.
May 9-16th 2009, Disney 7-night Eastern, The triplets sail again Trip Report
Thanksgiving 2008, First trip to Disneyland.
October 20-27th 2007, Disney 7-night Western, First but by no means last Disney Cruise Trip Report
j2bmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #41
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Oh, I am just loving your trip report.

Can't wait for more!

Is it just me or does anyone else love reading trip reports from an enthusiastic DH point of view! I love it!

This is my DH:

ME: Oh look honey, "Disney on a Dime" is on!
DH: Does it say "Just don't go? Save your dime?"

ME: Oh, look honey, the Travel Channel has "Disney Cruise Line" on!
DH: Do they have the same ol shows? Same ol food? Lame last night?"

See why I can't wait to read more?!!!!! TMI
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 01-09-2009 at 01:13 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 AM   #42
DisneyZell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post

Can't wait for more!

Is it just me or does anyone else love reading trip reports from an enthusiastic DH point of view! I love it!

This is my DH:

Hi PizziDuster...this is DW...I love DH's point of view as well. My contribution is the the play by play of what we did by keeping the journal, DH is the one to really turn it in to a story. I love looking back at his TR's and re-living the cruise. I love your "Disney on a Dime" line...just wish it was true! We are going to go back to WDW for our kids Feb. break and could really use that show!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #43
DisneyZell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkistevej View Post
Awesome trip report- I'm waiting(and not so patiently) for the next installment I can't believe you guys were first to the terminal- that's nice. Love the pictures!!
They do say that Patience is a virtue, right? I believe that Mickey believes that too! and good things come to those who wait? It was cool to be in the empty terminal, but don't tell DW, we don't want her getting all cocky on us...that could prove not beneficial to me in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
I remember seeing you all in those shirts in the terminal. Wow - you guys were there first? How very cool! We got there early enough that it wasn't busy in the terminal yet, but it did pick up.
yeah, it quickly got busy. We originally had 8 chairs with 8 people in them, but we consolidated because it got busy quick...and we were up and about taking pictures, etc. Didn't want to be those evil people who save chairs and then disappear! Thanks for posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollytammy View Post
Loving your report, and your pictures are absolutely wonderful! Thanks for sharing!
And thanks for your comments, they are appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
Great TR-no Advil needed. Thanks for the tips on the cheese sause and apples. That terminal looks great empty. Can't wait for the cruise report.
Thank you, the advil is my attempt at self-depricating (I honestly don't know if thats how you spell the word) humor! I'm very pleased that you are being entertained!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite2 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how you got to the terminal before me! I swore we were the first ones checked off at the gate. It was really nice and empty for awhile, wasn't it? I was just glad that DH put our luggage right by the place where the gates opened. That was just luck on our part.

Loving your TR! It's always nice to read the reports of others on your same cruise.
Ah, that would be courtesy of DW. She times things very well. And if you had your luggage right by Gate 3 (which is where they first take it in), then he was probably standing right next to us because we were right there too. It was a good group of people. Of course we were the Psychotic ones that were there a good hour before they opened the gates...but what can you do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
Happy New Year Zells!
Love reading your TR. Can't wait for more!!

Lisa Marie
Ah! BearFan! we enjoyed chatting with you, so happy new year right back at you! Thanks for coordinating some of the events onboard! That was great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeywho? View Post
Loving your report! Keep it comin'
Thank you, thank you...it's through my audiences generous contributions that I'm able to continue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2bmickey View Post
Another outstanding start to what is sure to be another great report. I decided not to be a lurker this time, but I may have to egg (I mean encourage) you on to finish before our trip in May (an Eastern this time). I will say that you are my muse for writing my own report.

I am with you on the castle lights. We went to Disneyland for Thanksgiving and I was thinking that I have got to get some of those lights.

That is a great idea for using the shirts as autograph books. I will be interested to find out how often they were used.
Great! don't just lurk as the feedback keeps me going!

However, you know I can't promise that I'll finish before you go in May. But I'll give it a try! ha ha!

Not sure how often I'll talk about the shirts, and I'll have to look when I get home from (I'm on a business trip), but I'd say that we probably got 10 or so signatures from various characters. Pretty cool all-in-all and frankly I was surprised at how nice they all were to do it.

One thing, don't forget a sharpie. I can't believe we didn't bring one with us...and they don't sell them in the ship stores...but DS10 was able to con customer service out of one which we used for the length of the cruise. Can you imagine that, DISers who didn't bring a sharpie???

Quote:

Can't wait for more!

This is my DH:

Holy crap that was funny. I'm sitting in a conference room with a bunch of coworkers and snorted. I never snort.

You are cracking me up to no end. I'm a firm believer that Disney has a magical vacuum that attaches to your wallet as soon as you are on-property and doesn't let go until you actually take off from Orlando (thus the Disney store at the airport!). So next time you drive through the pearly (ok, purple) gates of WDW, listen for the giant sucking sound!

The bad part of your post is that now there will be questions of how manly I am. can you be manly and write a TR?? Huh...I'll have to think on that one for a while. Good thing I'm married and don't have to worry about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyZell View Post
Hi PizziDuster...this is DW...I love DH's point of view as well. My contribution is the the play by play of what we did by keeping the journal, DH is the one to really turn it in to a story. I love looking back at his TR's and re-living the cruise. I love your "Disney on a Dime" line...just wish it was true! We are going to go back to WDW for our kids Feb. break and could really use that show!
thanks Baby-Cakes for weighing in. No way I could do this without you. Those little tidbit facts are incredibly helpful and remind me of what occured while we were there. My short term memory stinks!

I do find it entertaining that I can take a half page of your journal and turn it into a full page of trip report. Dang I'm full of it!

Anyway...I bow down to your journal writing abilities...I couldn't do it without your skills!

I'd love to say, on with the show and give you another chapter...but alas I'm in Atlanta and DW's journal is in New Hampshire so it will have to wait another day or two.

Thanks to everyone for reading, and especially those of you who post! it makes my day! if your lurking, post something, let me know your there!

so I just learned that the 25 picture limit INCLUDES emoticons! Holy cow! no wonder I have issues posting on this board.

Until later...go make someone's day!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #44
SandieT
Mouseketeer

Quote:

PizzieDuster,
Your post cracked me up. When I read these I think it must only be my family that is just not interested in anything until the day before we leave and then all of a sudden my husband starts asking questions.
What time do we leave?
What did you plan?
Where EXACTLY are we going?
Why did you plan that?
Even my kids are like mom stop talking about our cruise!
I did finally get him to look at our room location on the boat. He said since we were now in the same year as our trip, he would look. (Trip is March 28th).
Old 01-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #45
SandieT
Mouseketeer

Having Fun Reading

Andrew & Deanna,
I too am having such a fun time reading this. I have never really read these but now I am hooked. I am motivated to try one of these myself. However since I will be responsible for ALL packing/planning etc (See earlier post) we will see how much time I have. (I also have an elementary school yearbook to get to the printer the week before we leave. Last year I put about 2500 photos in it. )
I love the shirt /autograph idea AND I will be purchasing a shiny new journal to document our trip. I put together photo books (iphoto) and it will be nice to write captions to go with the photos.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: