Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Arts and Crafts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #46
PrincessMom4
DVC member-SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowThat'sMagical View Post
I tried to pm you but I don't have enough posts, yet! I was wondering what type of die you used and where you got it? Thanks so much in advance!

Tracy
I love this shirt, could I copy this idea??
ALK-Jambo-August 21-29/11; AKL-Kidani Villas-March 13-17/11;1st DVC trip-Kidani Villas-September 5-11/10; Space Ranger Mission - August 16-22/09;DS4th WDW birthday trip - March14 - 20/09;Pirate adventure-August 26-Sept 2/08;1st family trip-August 23-Sept 1/07
PrincessMom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #47
smidgen21
Wanna be Tink

thanks for the super cute idea. I will have to stop at JoAnns for a dye kit.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #48
Schmoodle
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting your instructions! Your shirts turned out great. My girlfriend and I are planning an adults long weekend at Disney in the fall, and I think I'll make some shirts to surprise her.
When you baste are you basting all the way around ears AND head?
And when you say "put the rubber bands around the ears" and "color the ears", are you doing just the ears or the whole head and ears?
Sorry for the detailed questions, but your head is much more defined than others I've seen and I'm trying to figure out how you managed that.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 06-22-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #49
KelleyGirl
Mouseketeer

Thank you! I can't wait to do this!
KelleyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #50
WdwforLife
Mouseketeer

i bast stitched and dyed the shirt yesterday and am waiting for it to bond. i did every direction to the t, so here's hoping it turns out. i'd really like to wear it to disneyland next week!
August '08 PCR • July '09 Disneyland/DCA • August '09 PCR •
August '10 Coronado Springs • July '12 Disneyland/DCA • January '13 Off Property
WdwforLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #51
DisTwix
DIS Veteran

I hafta tell you Pixie.... These are FABULOUS!!! Very nice job - you've totally inspired me to give it a shot!!!

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before." -- Mae West

"I only hope we don't lose sight of one thing - it was all started by a mouse." -- Walt Disney

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' " -- Charlie Brown.
DisTwix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #52
cherokeemamma
DIS Veteran

What type/brand of dye are you using? Love the vivid colors.

WDWforLife...please post a picture of your shirts.

I made this type shirt about 3 years ago. My mouse head wasn't as distinct as yours. I like yours much better. I think I put my colors too close to it....in other words perhaps I should have left a little white around the mouse head.

I am going to try and find a picture of us wearing our shirts. (will post if I do) We got a tons of comments from the characters and CMs.

Check out my first trip report: The Hill Family's Surprise Vacation(w/ a ton of pics):
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1234215
cherokeemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #53
scrapbookmom5174
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybelle View Post
Love those shirts. I can never get our tie dye to set and stay dark...they always fade really bad.

do you have a web site?

It's the type of dye you use. If you use the "real" dye, it will stay because it actually bonds with the fibers of the shirt. I have gotten my stuff from Dharma Inc. online. I know you have to soak the shirts in soda ash before hand. Hope that helps. I am doing all of mine next week. I think when it is all said and done, I will have 11 shirts, 2 dresses, and 7 headbands when it is all over. Hopefully they will turn out.
scrapbookmom5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #54
I<3EvilQueen
Is That the Fashion 2nd Amendment-The Right to Bare Arms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon View Post
I second that. I tried, but it was an epic fail. I tie dyed my skin better than the shirt!
I agree. We tried tie-dye years ago and just ended up with a blueish-red/gray mess.

Upcoming Trips:
7 Night Mediterrian Cruise June 2013
I<3EvilQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #55
floridascgirl
DIS Veteran

I made a set for our last trip and we received lots of compliments. The kit I used was by JACQUARD and it came with everything you need: soda ash, dye, bottles, gloves, rubberbands and a SUPER instructional DVD. The kit did about 5 t-shirts. I bought it online at Dick Blick, but they also sell it at Michaels (it was out-of-stock at mine). I don't know if it was mentioned on this Thread, but I basted my Mickey Head with dental floss. It was super strong, and then it pulled out very easily. Have fun!

Many trips as a child! 2005 Thanksgiving Wilderness Lodge2008 Jan. Wilderness Lodge
2009 Jan/Feb Animal Kingdom Lodge2009 Dec. Animal Kingdom Lodge2010 July Boardwalk Inn2011 Feb. Animal Kingdom Lodge2012 Nov. Pop Century

floridascgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #56
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

another option is reverse tye dye. take a brightly covered shirt(not white! and i say this with love cus many of my brownie parents sent their daughters with white!), take a cardboard cut out of any disney shape. put the shape on the shirt on the ground. put some bleach in a spray bottle and spray around the cardboard cut out. do not soak it, a lite misitng will be fine. remove the shape and you have yourself a reversed tie dyes mickey, pooh, minnie, etc.

navy blue often turns white, bright pink turns a liter pink.

hmmm now i wanna go tye dye for our dis trip! great shirt by the way!!!

1985- off site1986- off site2003- off site2004- off site2005- allstar movies!2009- allstar movies!-tenth wedding anny trip! 2010 split stay! asmovies andwl! 2011-bay lake(feb) 2011 ssr(may) 2011 bay lake(dec) 2013 kidani, aoa(dec/jan) 2014 pop(feb-race!)
amberg@eastlink.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #57
floridascgirl
DIS Veteran

I also made us some of the "bleach spray" Mickey shirts. I made my Mickey Head stencil using a page from one of those poly report cover pages. That way the bleach solution didn't soak through and I could re-use my stencil multiple times. They turned out so cute, and they were fast and easy. I diluted my bleach first and made sure to put a layer of cardboard inside the t-shirt, so it didn't bleach through to the back. I also wrote "DISNEY 2009" by placing some stickey foam letters/numbers down before misting. I sprayed them outside and let them sit in the sun for about 5 minutes...that was all it took before they were ready. I added some vinegar to the wash cycle. Someone told me that it neutralizes the bleach and stops the fading and odor. I don't know if it was necessary, but I did it anyway.

Many trips as a child! 2005 Thanksgiving Wilderness Lodge2008 Jan. Wilderness Lodge
2009 Jan/Feb Animal Kingdom Lodge2009 Dec. Animal Kingdom Lodge2010 July Boardwalk Inn2011 Feb. Animal Kingdom Lodge2012 Nov. Pop Century

Old 06-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #58
AnastasiaTremaine
"I will bring it back for science!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridascgirl View Post
I made a set for our last trip and we received lots of compliments. The kit I used was by JACQUARD and it came with everything you need: soda ash, dye, bottles, gloves, rubberbands and a SUPER instructional DVD. The kit did about 5 t-shirts. I bought it online at Dick Blick, but they also sell it at Michaels (it was out-of-stock at mine). I don't know if it was mentioned on this Thread, but I basted my Mickey Head with dental floss. It was super strong, and then it pulled out very easily. Have fun!
Every time I see your posts, it's just another chance for me to admire your cute shirts - I am so impressed you did them yourself! Thanks for the inspiration (and advice on the DIY!), they are incredibly cute!
Old 06-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #59
floridascgirl
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the kind words, Anastasia. I'll admit, they were a pain in the butt to make, though. Mostly due to the fact that when I began, I didn't even know how to properly thread a needle, much less baste. Also, I had never tie-dyed before, and I was stressed about my Mickey turning into a blob. Now that I know what I'm doing, I think they would be a breeze. Well, maybe not that easy. Anyway, if you decide to make some, there are many helpful threads on the Creative Board and on the internet (just Google), too!

Old 06-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #60
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

thanks!!! i knew i forgot a step or two!! its been a few years since i did it at girl guide camp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridascgirl View Post
I also made us some of the "bleach spray" Mickey shirts. I made my Mickey Head stencil using a page from one of those poly report cover pages. That way the bleach solution didn't soak through and I could re-use my stencil multiple times. They turned out so cute, and they were fast and easy. I diluted my bleach first and made sure to put a layer of cardboard inside the t-shirt, so it didn't bleach through to the back. I also wrote "DISNEY 2009" by placing some stickey foam letters/numbers down before misting. I sprayed them outside and let them sit in the sun for about 5 minutes...that was all it took before they were ready. I added some vinegar to the wash cycle. Someone told me that it neutralizes the bleach and stops the fading and odor. I don't know if it was necessary, but I did it anyway.

1985- off site1986- off site2003- off site2004- off site2005- allstar movies!2009- allstar movies!-tenth wedding anny trip! 2010 split stay! asmovies andwl! 2011-bay lake(feb) 2011 ssr(may) 2011 bay lake(dec) 2013 kidani, aoa(dec/jan) 2014 pop(feb-race!)
amberg@eastlink.ca is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: