Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Arts and Crafts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #2131
SAT887
DIS Veteran

So the hanes shirts... Unisex

Another question, how long does the dye keep for. I found a kit by tulip at walmart that is on clearance and the dye comes in the squirt bottles and you add water. Now would this only be good for one application and I would need to dispose of it - or would it keep for a certain amount of time?

I showed my husband (who is not a huge disney lover) and he is excited to try and make these with me! Yay!!
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #2132
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksromack View Post
I'm still following! I found a "tie-dye kit" I had purchased at Michael's several years ago so I plan on using that. I hope the colors will be vivid. I'll try it out on one of hubby's old tshirts to start with. I can see where this will become an addiction which is okay since it'll be a nice diversion for me. We don't go to the World until December and I want to do christmas type shirts for our MVMCP at least......and maybe a camo one and possibly a bleach type one. I'd like to find a little cuter shirt for me and not the generic men's tshirt style
Yay! Glad someone else is here! Lol* Look forward to seeing your shirts. I'm so jealous you're going in December though - we are going in Sept, and I'm thrilled, but I have my heart on some day getting to see all the lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
So the hanes shirts... Unisex

Another question, how long does the dye keep for. I found a kit by tulip at walmart that is on clearance and the dye comes in the squirt bottles and you add water. Now would this only be good for one application and I would need to dispose of it - or would it keep for a certain amount of time?

I showed my husband (who is not a huge disney lover) and he is excited to try and make these with me! Yay!!

This is my first experience dyeing so I dunno for sure, but what I've read on the tie dye threads on here is that after 45 minutes the dye begins to lose intensity. So once you mix the Tulip colors you have to use them right away. I do not know if the same is true when you use Jaquard or Procion dyes from Dharma Trading. I'm hopin' and a prayin' my t's come out good because I want to try those dyes sooooo soo so badly!!! I have heard about them for years (for hand dyeing fabric for quilting) but hadn't tried yet...now I have an EXTRA excuse!!!
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #2133
macleod1979
Mouseketeer

Haven't tie dyed since I was a kid. The 70s are coming back it seems
Old 07-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #2134
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod1979 View Post
Haven't tie dyed since I was a kid. The 70s are coming back it seems
Hahaha, I don't think tie dye ever really went out did it? LOL* Maybe it's just me because I was raised by hippies...
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #2135
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

For shirts I highly recommend jiffyshirts.com. Tons is brands, styles and sizes to choose from! I've ordered from them 3 times and never had a problem.

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #2136
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie101 View Post
For shirts I highly recommend jiffyshirts.com. Tons is brands, styles and sizes to choose from! I've ordered from them 3 times and never had a problem.
Thanks for this tip - I'm going to check it out!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #2137
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

Yay! My t-shirts are in the washer - they turned out SO SO SO cute! I bought a bleach pen but I don't think I'm even going to use it. Wooheeee! Only thing I did was accidently cut a teensy hole in one when I was cutting the string - POOH! I can't believe I did that! Anyhow I was thinking of using the gem stones to cover it up - any recommendations? Could I just hot glue them buggers on there and hand wash the shirts in the future?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #2138
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

Ok, last post, sorry for hogging/bombarding this thread! Lol* Here's my shirts for my three daughters...this is after running them under cold water, and two washes...and they are still wet and STILL rubbing off dye so I threw them in and they are washing again...so I'm going to assume they'll get lighter...but I'm still so happy!!! I've talked Hubster into letting me order from Dharma...yay!

Here's a coupla pictures...

Old 07-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #2139
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Ok, last post, sorry for hogging/bombarding this thread! Lol* Here's my shirts for my three daughters...this is after running them under cold water, and two washes...and they are still wet and STILL rubbing off dye so I threw them in and they are washing again...so I'm going to assume they'll get lighter...but I'm still so happy!!! I've talked Hubster into letting me order from Dharma...yay!

They are great!!!
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #2140
craftychick
WDW Veteran

Here's my first attempt. Not bad, but not great. Learned some things, and will make attempt #2 tonight.

1) I used the "Caurosel" Tulip Kit. Didn't purchase the soda ash, since another post mentioned it was in the dye powder already.
2) Used the Tulip Dye Resist, and painted on the Mickey outlines. (Make sure you use a paint brush and make the lines thick!) Let this dry for 24 hours.
3) I wanted pastels, so I dumped out the dye powder that was in the bottles (into ziplock bags for another batch), and then only put back in about 1/3 of the dye powder into the bottle.3
4) I wanted Mickey to be a darker purple, so I only filled the purple bottle halfway with water. I dyed the Mickeys first, then after I bagged those with plastic, filled the purple dye bottle up with more water so the purple would be a pastel like the fushia and teal.
5) I only left the dye on for 3 hours (okay, I admit it, the wait was killing me!), and received a nice shade of light pink, blue and purple. (They came out more like baby pink and baby blue.)
6) I obviously didn't fill in the larger Mickey enough, and put too much on the smaller one! Going to try and fix that tonight and just dab on some more purple into the larger one.

DL 2009 - Crowne Plaza Anaheim - Work Conference (DECA ICDC)
WDW 2006 - Off Property
WDW 2000 - POR w/ DCL
WDW 1997 - WL
WDW 1996 - ASMusic
WDW 1992 - Off Property
WDW 1991 - FW
WDW 1987 - Grosvenor
craftychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #2141
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftychick View Post
Here's my first attempt. Not bad, but not great. Learned some things, and will make attempt #2 tonight.

1) I used the "Caurosel" Tulip Kit. Didn't purchase the soda ash, since another post mentioned it was in the dye powder already.
2) Used the Tulip Dye Resist, and painted on the Mickey outlines. (Make sure you use a paint brush and make the lines thick!) Let this dry for 24 hours.
3) I wanted pastels, so I dumped out the dye powder that was in the bottles (into ziplock bags for another batch), and then only put back in about 1/3 of the dye powder into the bottle.3
4) I wanted Mickey to be a darker purple, so I only filled the purple bottle halfway with water. I dyed the Mickeys first, then after I bagged those with plastic, filled the purple dye bottle up with more water so the purple would be a pastel like the fushia and teal.
5) I only left the dye on for 3 hours (okay, I admit it, the wait was killing me!), and received a nice shade of light pink, blue and purple. (They came out more like baby pink and baby blue.)
6) I obviously didn't fill in the larger Mickey enough, and put too much on the smaller one! Going to try and fix that tonight and just dab on some more purple into the larger one.

So excited to see your shirts but the pic isn't working
Old 07-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #2142
ksromack
DIS Veteran

PumpkinpatchQuilter: I loved your outfit! Isn't the waiting the hardest part? I found a tie-dye kit in my closet (I had forgotten I purchased that a couple years ago to give to my step-daughter for christmas that year)....but I really don't have suitable shirts to dye at the moment. I love the website someone posted earlier (jiffyshirts.com)....I think I'm going to order a long-sleeve and short-sleeve white shirts for hubby and I (we're going in december so may be happy to have a long-sleeve shirt)! I'm going to make a camo/neutral shirt and a christmassy shirt for dh and myself and a few more fun ones for me.

What color do you think I should make the christmassy ones? I hate relying on the typical red and green.......do they make metallic dyes? I have some colors saved in the dharma cart....i'll have to look at those again.

And Craftychick, we want to see your shirts!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #2143
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksromack View Post
PumpkinpatchQuilter: I loved your outfit! Isn't the waiting the hardest part? I found a tie-dye kit in my closet (I had forgotten I purchased that a couple years ago to give to my step-daughter for christmas that year)....but I really don't have suitable shirts to dye at the moment. I love the website someone posted earlier (jiffyshirts.com)....I think I'm going to order a long-sleeve and short-sleeve white shirts for hubby and I (we're going in december so may be happy to have a long-sleeve shirt)! I'm going to make a camo/neutral shirt and a christmassy shirt for dh and myself and a few more fun ones for me.

What color do you think I should make the christmassy ones? I hate relying on the typical red and green.......do they make metallic dyes? I have some colors saved in the dharma cart....i'll have to look at those again.

And Craftychick, we want to see your shirts!
Thank you SO much!!! Holy cow, YES, waiting is SO TOUGH!

This is my total first attempt so I don't know if they make metallic dyes - maybe? I really like the whole red and green tie dye personally but you could maybe do more modern colors like a bright red or even pink and a lime green or something? I don't know if that's your thing...also I was looking up tie dye and saw somebody used blue's and did snowmen!!! How cool!

Good luck with Jiffyshirts, can't wait to see how you like them, please report back!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #2144
handustmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post

Your shirts look great!!
Polynesian Resort October 2012

DH Me! DD17 DS13
handustmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #2145
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by handustmom View Post
Your shirts look great!!
Thank you!!