Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Arts and Crafts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #2116
sararoseey
Earning My Ears

These shirts are lovely! I'm going to bookmark this thread so I can try it sometime Thank you!
sararoseey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #2117
handustmom
Mouseketeer

I bought supplies to make these shirts 3 years ago but never got the nerve to try it. Now we are preparing for a trip in October and I REALLY want to make these for my family!

My biggest concern is trying to figure out what colors to use. I have some RIT dye I bought 3 years ago but the colors really don't coordinate. I want to use red but I'm afraid it will turn out pink, DH would NEVER wear that!

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes. Worst case scenario we all get new nightshirts!
Polynesian Resort October 2012

DH Me! DD17 DS13
handustmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #2118
MsHershey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barzeski View Post
I just finished mine today! So pumped with the results! Dd and I cannot wait to sport them in August! Thank you all for the clear, easy to follow directions. We may need to make more!

These look awesome! Great job! We tried to do these shirts last week and it was a complete failure. We ended up with a big blob. The mickey head was not defined at all. Wonder what we did wrong. I want to try again but afraid I will end up with the same results.

MsHershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #2119
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

We're going to dye some shirts on Sunday! However we decided not to try the mickey heads. We're just going to tie dye the shirts and see how they come out. If we're happy with the results, my mother-in-law is going to applique mickey heads onto the shirts for us! The nice thing is that by doing it that way it gives my mother in law an opportunity to participate in our planning a bit more. Wish us luck!
Thanks for all the tips on this page! I never would have had the courage to even tie dye if it hadn't been for all this information!

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #2120
Raidra
Mouseketeer

What's everyone's favorite rinsing method? I feel like I'm wasting a ton of water when I rinse them at the sink, but I'm afraid to not rinse them so thoroughly. Plus it kills my back if I'm doing a big batch. On an adult shirt, I probably spend about 10 minutes rinsing and wringing them out under running water. Then I wash them in the washing machine (with synthrapol now!).

Any more efficient, less wasteful ways of rinsing?

Next trip: September 2014

My Etsy Store: dreamseadesigns
Raidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #2121
ksromack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by handustmom View Post
I bought supplies to make these shirts 3 years ago but never got the nerve to try it. Now we are preparing for a trip in October and I REALLY want to make these for my family!

My biggest concern is trying to figure out what colors to use. I have some RIT dye I bought 3 years ago but the colors really don't coordinate. I want to use red but I'm afraid it will turn out pink, DH would NEVER wear that!

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes. Worst case scenario we all get new nightshirts!
I saw someone here had made the shirts using orange and black and of course the white from the original tshirt. Or what about green and purple with black? I'm definitely making these too. Maybe even a couple sets of them for dh and myself. We're going in December!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #2122
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

OH my gawsh. Found this thread early this afternoon and have been flipping through it ALL DAY! LOL* (Off and on of course...had to do those pesky chores like feed the animals and cook dinner and do laundry ICK!) Wow I'm so inspired. I'm a huge quilter, that's my passion, but I do a bit of garment sewing and am pretty much a craft obsessed type of person anyhow...I have been wanting to hand dye some of my own fabric forever. I just hadn't gotten around to placing an order from Dharma Trading - but after seeing the great results with Tulip I'm going to try it out! YAY!!!

I see Pixie Dust (or is it pixie crafts?) hasn't posted since June - is that right? Are you still on this theard Pixie? Your designs are GREAT!!!

Last edited by pumpkinpatchquilter; 07-14-2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: misspelling
pumpkinpatchquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #2123
SAT887
DIS Veteran

So does any one know where I can get girl cotton shirts? In both adult and toddler... My daughter is petite but very tall so the generic kids shirts are always huge on her.... I want to make a few of these for our December trip :D
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #2124
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
So does any one know where I can get girl cotton shirts? In both adult and toddler... My daughter is petite but very tall so the generic kids shirts are always huge on her.... I want to make a few of these for our December trip :D
I just bought little girls shirts for my daughters at Walmart - I got the toddler 18 mo. and the short sleeve/short sets were on sale. I also bought two v-neck hanes kids tops for $3.47 each in size 16(XL) and 6X(Small). Dunno if that helps you or not!

I picked up Tulip dyes today too and (I think) everything I need to experiment. I have been wanting to try Dharma dyes forever to dye quilting fabric but I don't want to spend the money until I practice first. *Fingers Crossed*
Old 07-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #2125
SAT887
DIS Veteran

I looked around Walmart and only the generic boy/girl tees in white... Thank you though the hard part is the next closest shopping is an hour away....
Old 07-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #2126
cujochurch
Deemed the "World's Greatest Aunt!"

Quote:
Try Hanes.com I just ordered there. Very reasonable. Not sure about toddler sizes but you can check.

Update: I just checked and they do indeed have toddler and infant shirts.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #2127
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujochurch

Try Hanes.com I just ordered there. Very reasonable. Not sure about toddler sizes but you can check.

Update: I just checked and they do indeed have toddler and infant shirts.
Thank you!!! Didn't even think of that!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #2128
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I looked around Walmart and only the generic boy/girl tees in white... Thank you though the hard part is the next closest shopping is an hour away....
By generic do you mean the ones prepackaged in the bag? That stinks! I found mine on the tables...you know where they sell seperates - tops and bottoms. There were some knee length shorts that paired with hanes v-neck tops with the cute kind of puffy girl sleeves...also on the clearance racks towards the front of the store (mine anyway) there were some 100% cotton Garanimal sets on sale. They even had ruffle skirts!!! I just bought a few to test...if they turn out decent I might go back and buy more...

My shirts are in the soda ash now!!! YAY! Going to dye in a little bit here...
Old 07-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #2129
pumpkinpatchquilter
Mouseketeer

Eeep! I hope I did it right, my shirts are waiting for me in the laundry room. I'll rinse and wash them about this time tomorrow - after the kiddos fall asleep. I'm so excited to see how they turn out, really hope they are half way decent!!!

I used washing soda because it was easiest to get my hands on and cheap. I used a little extra because I read somewhere on here that it's not as strong. I also used the Tulip dye and filled the bottles half way with water on Pixie's recommendation on here for more vivid colors. I also used apolstry thread for basting. *fingers crossed* My daughters are really antsy to see the results too - the only thing I'm wondering about is, well, of course is that Mickey head actually gonna show up, and also, did I get enough in the folds. I felt like I was squeezing it in there and it was dripping out a lot so I guess time will tell. I had the kit that says it does up to 8 shirts...I did a girls size 16, girls size 6x, and an 18 mo. top and shorts. I still had a bit of dye leftover and probably could have squeezed in another small shirt...that is assuming I got it all in the folds enough.

Thanks for the directions and inspiration everyone - I'm so excited...keep your fingers crossed for me! (If anyone is still visiting this thread???!!!)

In progress pictures...

Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #2130
ksromack
DIS Veteran

I'm still following! I found a "tie-dye kit" I had purchased at Michael's several years ago so I plan on using that. I hope the colors will be vivid. I'll try it out on one of hubby's old tshirts to start with. I can see where this will become an addiction which is okay since it'll be a nice diversion for me. We don't go to the World until December and I want to do christmas type shirts for our MVMCP at least......and maybe a camo one and possibly a bleach type one. I'd like to find a little cuter shirt for me and not the generic men's tshirt style

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: