Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Arts and Crafts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #1546
MagicMomma
Mouseketeer

Smile

Finally have a pic of my shirts... we were camping this weekend so I didn't have a chance to post them sooner! I am really happy with how they turned out!

Family shirts for MVMCP

http://

My mickey-colored shirt to wear whenever!

http://

I wanted less white, and I thought I really got the dye into the crevices, but I guess I still needed more! Lesson for next time...

Me DH DS19 DD16

MagicMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #1547
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

OMG I don't believe it, our shirts and dresses came out FANTASTIC!!!! They are still in the wash, I just rinsed them out so I will post some pics tomorrow when they are all dry.

I thought my yellow and orange would get taken over by the black and turn into Jabba-the-Hut green/brown but no, the colors are all visible and clearly defined and it has just as much white as I wanted! I'm thrilled!!!

My mickeys are all well defined, I think I will be able to return my bleach pen to the store!

The only problem I have is I got a small hole in one shirt, I think I must have pulled the floss too tight before I cut it off. Hopefully I can stitch it closed without it looking too bad, it is right where the left ear meets the head of the Mickey.

My tips:

1) Don't cut the floss off right at the knot- go ahead and leave the long strands hanging after puckering and tying off the Mickey. It will be easier to grasp to cut after the dye process and you may be less prone to cause a hole. (I had cut the floss off right at the knot in the shirt that got the hole and that is why I believe I got the hole- that the knot got pulled right through the fabric of the shirt!)

2) Be sure when you leave your shirts to cure that you place them right-side (Mickey side) up. This might be common sense but it bears repeating. If you have a dominant color, like I did with the black, it will follow the course of gravity and seep to the bottom and take over. In my case this was the back of my shirts and dresses, so it just made for a very black heavy back, but it could be disaster if you inadvertently placed your shirts Mickeys down.

3) Use an old towel or fabric of some sort direclty under your "cinnamon roll" while you are dyeing. I just had plastic garbage bags under mine and the excess liquid would puddle and flow easily making a bigger mess than it already was, plus if I set a corner of the "bun" down to get leverage, the colors already puddling there were so quick to splash around the undyed parts of the shirt. Had there been something absorbent underneath the spread of excess dye would have been slightly more controlled and much less sloppy.
Also, it was really difficult to twist the shirt just on a thin layer of plastic. The whole thing (plastic and all)was spinning making it extremely difficult to get a tight spiral going.

Can't wait to share pics. I am so grateful for everyone sharing their knowledge and experiences- it will be so gratifying to say "I made it!" when people ask about my shirt!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report

Last edited by nenner1; 10-04-2010 at 05:27 PM.
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #1548
stacielee
Why do I go to Disneyland? BECAUSE I CAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieDust32 View Post
Yes, just leave the soda ash water, it should be ok. Just like if you were painting,very small amount of dye at the time. It might look different from the rest of the shirt, don't worry, it would be fine after the wash.
One more question, I'm doing the touch-up today and I have them all spread out on the counter with plastic underneath them. I can't really put them in a plastic bag to keep them wet so I'm wondering what to do. Should I just wash them later today/tonight????
Old 10-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #1549
PixieDust32
♥ Live ♥ Love♥ Disney ♥

Glad to hear that your shirts came out nice!!

About the touch up, you can put them in the bag and wash them afterwards...

Instagram: roxyy39

PixieDust32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #1550
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

Ours are done! I'm happy with how they came out - they aren't perfect, but they're mine

If (when?) I do it again, I will be more careful about the rubber bands below the Mickey head and *really* get into the folds. There is a bit more white than I would like, but they look good.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #1551
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

I took some pictures - I'm happy with them, but I wish they didn't have quite so much white. None of these have been touched up with a bleach pen yet.

Mine for Halloween - I'm going to iron on a jack-o-lantern face for each of us.

Morgan's for Halloween

Dan's for Halloween

Others of mine (yes, the head is off center in the red, white and blue one - I wanted it over my heart)

Mickey Colors

My favorite - rainbow

Morgan's others

Dan's others - he likes to mix things up with his colors

Old 10-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #1552
nenner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmom2000 View Post
I took some pictures - I'm happy with them, but I wish they didn't have quite so much white. None of these have been touched up with a bleach pen yet.
Jennifer- I love them! They look great!!! I especially like how you got bursts of color inside your mickeyheads- that looks so neat! The halloween ones will look great with the jack o lantern iron ons!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
Old 10-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #1553
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
Jennifer- I love them! They look great!!! I especially like how you got bursts of color inside your mickeyheads- that looks so neat! The halloween ones will look great with the jack o lantern iron ons!
Purely accidental, I assure you!

Can't wait to see yours!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #1554
PixieDust32
♥ Live ♥ Love♥ Disney ♥

Good Job Girls!!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #1555
nenner1

This is not the greatest pic as I had to take it with my cell phone. My camera is not compatible with the laptop I am using right now. I will post better pics when
I get my good computer out of the shop!

But until then here is an idea of how they turned out. This pic really does not do them justice.

From left to right they are a Dharma ultimate sundress size 10 for my DD, my knot front shirt from Dharma, another Dharma ultimate sundress size 4T, and a FOL Tee childs' large.

My DS' shirt just has the one center MH, mine actually has two- the one visible on the upper shoulder and then another one in the lower corner, the girls' dresses both have 3 MH's..one center and two lower.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #1556
PookieB
DVC Dreaming

Great shirts!

Here's my latest for our trip in 2 days.

DH's came out pretty good.

DD's

Mine. This is a maternity shirt and I put the Mickey head on my belly so my swirl failed. The Mickey head also came out bad so I outlined it with dye. Not great but I don't wanna waste a shirt.

July 87 MK/Epcot|Aug 91 MGM/Epcot|Feb 94 FWC/MGM|Oct 01 Ecpot/MGM|Dec 02 ASMo/MVMCP|Oct 05 ASMu & POP/MNSSHP|Dec 05 ASp/MGM/MVMCP||Jan 06 CSR/WP Wedding & Narcoossee's/WL Honeymoon/Epcot/AK/SOA/V&A's|July 06 MK B-day Trip||Nov 06 DTD-RFC||Jun 07 Swan/DTD|Aug 07 POFQ/DPAPP|Oct 07 POP/MNSSHP/F&W|Jan 08 Anniversary Trip POR/SSR/La Nouba|Oct 08 ASMu/MNSSHP|Dec 08 CSR/MVMCP/Epcot-Candlelight|June 09 OKW/AKV/AK/DHS/MK|Oct 09 CSR/MNSSHP/Epcot/DHS|Jan 10 BLT MK/Epcot/DHS|May 10 SSR/MK/AK| Oct 10 CB MNSSHP| Oct 11 AKV MNSSHP| Feb 12 POP | Oct 12 BC MNSSHP | | Feb 13 DCL Wonder| Oct 13 ASM F&W/MNSSHP |Dec 13 AKV | Oct 14 VGF MNSSHP/F&W | Jan 15 VWL/DCL Dream
PookieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #1557
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
This is not the greatest pic as I had to take it with my cell phone. My camera is not compatible with the laptop I am using right now. I will post better pics when
I get my good computer out of the shop!

But until then here is an idea of how they turned out. This pic really does not do them justice.

From left to right they are a Dharma ultimate sundress size 10 for my DD, my knot front shirt from Dharma, another Dharma ultimate sundress size 4T, and a FOL Tee childs' large.

My DS' shirt just has the one center MH, mine actually has two- the one visible on the upper shoulder and then another one in the lower corner, the girls' dresses both have 3 MH's..one center and two lower.
Awesome! Can't wait to see them in person!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #1558
Momfong
Earning My Ears

Thank you .. thank you for the directiions

Here's a picture of my nephew and his family. I made the kids their shirts. I did NOT make Rita's shirt .. she just happened to wear tie dye that day. Thanks for the easy-to-follow directions.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #1559
PixieDust32
♥ Live ♥ Love♥ Disney ♥

Cute!! Great job :D

Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #1560
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Just wanted to add a little tip, not sure if it's been posted here before.

For those of you dyeing on a flat surface, you may find that cooling rack (like for cookies) will come in handy. It allows the dye to drip through and not pool under your shirt. The only thing to keep in mind here is that if you're really particular about your colors and how they're landing on the shirt, you'll need to wipe the rack down before you turn your shirt over and in between shirts so you don't get little blotches.

Also for those of you who are getting more white than you like, you really just have to use more dye. Its ok if your shirt is dripping a little, so long as its not a deluge of dye coming off the fabric. I also find give the shirt a little squish once its dyed helps a little. Not enough to push dye out, but to push it through the fabric a little more.
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: