Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Arts and Crafts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #1516
ILuvTigger
Mouseketeer

You did an awesome job!! Thanks for posting them! I am feeling better about doing it! Dh is out of town (2 days), when he gets home, we will make ours. He helped pick everything out and wants to participate. Normally I do all crafty things. I told him he is doing it himself, I can't wait to see how they turn out. I am very excited. I need to pick up a bleach pen, too! Your Mickey heads came out perfect!

ILuvTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #1517
MagicMomma
Mouseketeer

They look great! I love how perfect your Mickeys are! I'd be proud, too!

Me DH DS19 DD16

MagicMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #1518
PixieDust32
♥ Live ♥ Love♥ Disney ♥

It is a work of Art! Your shirts are great, love your Mickey :D Way to go!!

Instagram: roxyy39

PixieDust32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #1519
Wolfie68
Mouseketeer

Ok, after reading this whole thread, I bought several shirts from Jiffy Shirts. They have sat in the box they were delivered in for over a week now LOL

Today I bought the erasable fabric pencil and the non mint waxed dental floss.

Tonight I am hoping to print the stencil to put on the shirts and maybe even draw it out!!

I have looked at the different tie dye kits, both jacquard and tulip at michaels and walmart. I am thinking the tulip kit at michaels with a 40% off coupon will be a good tester start, then if I like it and do well, I can use another coupon and get a bigger kit and have at it!!
Wolfie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #1520
MickeyMomOfThree
DIS Veteran

Thanks to you all. I appreciate the compliments and advise.
I Always wanted A Family and Now I Have A Great One!!!! Many Trips As A Kid Made Me Want To Have Many Trips as A Mom --- Now I'm Doing Just That --- Thanks hubby For Great Kids, a Great Family, and GREAT DISNEY VACATIONS!!! Married 17 Years and Counting ...
**SOG 10/97**ASSp 2/00**ASMu 3/01** ASMo 11/02**ASMo 11/04**ASSp 11/06**ASSp 11/08**ASSp 11/10**And some off property trips mixed in**
**Dreaming of 11/12 Or sooner if we win the lottery before that! **

Don't be Grumpy , be Happy , even if it makes you a little Sleepy DQC

Please see the Hidden Mickey for Haiti thread
MickeyMomOfThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #1521
stacielee
Why do I go to Disneyland? BECAUSE I CAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMomOfThree View Post
Hey! I did it! I made the shirts and you can too! AND I posted photos. As you can see, not as full of color as they could be, but I am happy with them.
Your Mickey's came out great!! That's the one thing I usually don't have a problem with, it's getting the color into the shirt and not having a lot of white.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #1522
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I find that if I have a lot of dye on me (and I usually do..even with gloves) that rubbing on of the soda ash water on it helps a lot. I wash THAT off with soap and water, but some of the ash water on a paper towel has worked wonders, I even used it to get dye off an outdoor table!
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #1523
MagicMomma
Mouseketeer

Shirts are ready to dye... but it's pouring down rain today, so I guess I'll be tie-dyeing in the garage! Hope I don't make too much of a mess... but I probably will!

Me DH DS19 DD16

MagicMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #1524
MickeyRules
Earning My Ears

Question

Mickeyplanner08--
How do you get multiple heads on the shirt? Just tie off smaller areas and mroe than 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyplanner08 View Post
OK, it is hard to tie-dye in secret....my kids don't know it, but in one week we are going to wake them up and tell them we are headed to Disney.

Then I made 4 of this color scheme....tanks with small Mickey's for the girls, T's for the boys.

Thanks for the great instructions!
MickeyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #1525
stacielee

I'm going to try and touch up some of the shirts I did last week and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. I bought 2 of the little square spongy paint brushes and I'm going to mix up a little bit of dye. Should I get the shirt wet first? Should I soak it in soda ash water again; and if I do, what will happen to the dye that's already on the shirt?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #1526
PixieDust32
♥ Live ♥ Love♥ Disney ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacielee View Post
I'm going to try and touch up some of the shirts I did last week and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. I bought 2 of the little square spongy paint brushes and I'm going to mix up a little bit of dye. Should I get the shirt wet first? Should I soak it in soda ash water again; and if I do, what will happen to the dye that's already on the shirt?
OK! You need the soda ash for the dye to "stick" on it. I had done touch up before when I tied my rubber bands a little to good, here is what you need to do.

Wet the brush in the soda ash mix,( I hope you had saved it) then get the shirt wet, not soaking wet, just a little wet on the area you want to apply the dye, put a piece o cardboard or whatever in between the shirt. Then dip the brush on the dye just a little (try on a rag first to see how much you need to add and how hard you want to press) then just kinda paint on it, let it dry for at least 4 hours and then wash it normal. It will work!

Old 09-30-2010, 11:24 PM   #1527
stacielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieDust32 View Post
OK! You need the soda ash for the dye to "stick" on it. I had done touch up before when I tied my rubber bands a little to good, here is what you need to do.

Wet the brush in the soda ash mix,( I hope you had saved it) then get the shirt wet, not soaking wet, just a little wet on the area you want to apply the dye, put a piece o cardboard or whatever in between the shirt. Then dip the brush on the dye just a little (try on a rag first to see how much you need to add and how hard you want to press) then just kinda paint on it, let it dry for at least 4 hours and then wash it normal. It will work!
I knew you would have the answer! I really don't want to do my shirt over so I figure this is the easiest way to fix it. I didn't save it, but that's okay, I have a big box of Arm & Hammer washing soda so I can make up just a smaller batch.

Should I rinse out the little sponge brush before dipping it in the dye, or just leave the soda ash water on it?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:37 AM   #1528
PixieDust32
♥ Live ♥ Love♥ Disney ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacielee View Post
I knew you would have the answer! I really don't want to do my shirt over so I figure this is the easiest way to fix it. I didn't save it, but that's okay, I have a big box of Arm & Hammer washing soda so I can make up just a smaller batch.

Should I rinse out the little sponge brush before dipping it in the dye, or just leave the soda ash water on it?
Yes, just leave the soda ash water, it should be ok. Just like if you were painting,very small amount of dye at the time. It might look different from the rest of the shirt, don't worry, it would be fine after the wash.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #1529
ILuvTigger
Mouseketeer

Where does everyone make their shirts? I planned on doing it in my kitchen. Does it really get that messy? I have a large L-shaped kitchen and planned on bringing in (2) 4'x6' tables. I would never think about doing it on my kitchen table. LOL

ILuvTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #1530
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

I'm doing mine outside. We're doing shirts, pillowcases and bandannas. I figure I might as well get my hands messy once and do it all together!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: