Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

By Land and By Air....We're Back!!

Our TA sent us the confirmation that we are all set for another trip to WDW.
Here are the facts:

We are staying at the PoP Century from November 30 (Sunday) thru Dec 6(Sat). I requested two preferred rooms in the 70s building as we have enjoyed this area on previous trips. The rooms are close to Everything POP and the bus stop.
Who is going?

My daughter Amy and her husband Bryan

This will be Amy's fourth trip and Bryan's first. Amy is a dental hygienist and must request vacation at least six months in advance. Bryan owns his own business, a boat brokerage, SIMPLY CRUISERS and Dec is a good time for him to get away

Andy and I

Andy will be 22YO by trip time and has'nt been to WDW since 1995. He is a Marine Service Technician at a local boat dealer and December is the only slack time he has to get away. Between my son and SIL I can get a deal on a boat and have a personal mechanic to service it!
I have just retired after 31 years of teaching and can now go to WDW whenever I want.

Andy and I are driving down (straight thru) and Amy and Bryan are flying out of St. Louis and using DME.

This will be my fifth trip and the third in three years. A little background info on our previous trips:

Our first trip was in 1992. It was all so magical for us and the kids thought everything was real. We stayed off-site and had no plan, so we wandered around and had a great but tiring time.

We came back to WDW in August of 1995 and it was a miserable experience. The crowds and heat and humidity wore us out. We met Brazilian tour groups and my wife vowed to never return to WDW (and she has'nt). We also stayed off-site at a filthy Days Inn.

Fastforward 10 years to 2005 and my two daughters and I return. We drive straight thru in 18 hours and stay at PoP. It is late May and we have the most fantastic trip on record. Everything was near perfect and we vow to come back more often. Here is my first trip report: OUR 2005 TRIP REPORT
We received a free picture!

2007: By now Amy is married to Bryan and they have their own vacations to take, so I agree to go with Alison (My middle child) and her fiance Scott for a trip in early June. We fly to WDW and again stay at PoP and have another great trip. We experience late night EMH and take advantage of Photopass.
Here is the TR for this trip: OUR 2007 TRIP REPORT

Alison and Scott are now married, so I hope to go every year with one of the daughters. I can hardly wait to spoil some grandkids with Mickey!

This our plan so far. We don't do ADRs and will use Photopass again including the resort photoshoot. I hope see you in the parks. I will be the one with a camera in each hand and a LGMH on the camera bag.
Our 2008 Christmas Trip Report
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos

Last edited by MOmousefan; 11-06-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
IlovemythreeC's
Mouseketeer

I am loving this one. It is so precious to see your little ones with the Ninja turtles. I love your pretrippie's name by the way.

We went just about the same days that you are going last year and it was really great. I know you will all have a great time.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

Our PTR

IlovemythreeC's - Thanks for the response. We still laugh about the Turtles picture because Alison ( A typical middle child) had a major meltdown immediately after the picture was taken. I really wish that I had taken pictures of the kids in the same spot on each visit, but hindsight is 20-20.
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos
Old 06-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
irky416
DIS Veteran

I love the old pictures!

I can't wait to hear more about your upcoming trip!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #5
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

Our PTR

You are right about the old pictures. I never get tired of looking at them, especially since the kids are grown. They shake their heads when I spend so much time taking pictures and shooting videos, but we spend a lot of time reliving the memories thru the movies and photos. One thing about having grown up kids at WDW is I get to spend some time on my own taking lots of pictures and not slowing the group down.
We have never been at Christmas, so this will be a new "adventure" for us.
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos
Old 08-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
Kristina
DIS Veteran

I remember your last trippie and I loved your Pop Century video . We will be visiting WDW at the same time and arriving at our favorite Pop Century the evening before you guys do. It's going to be a magical time for sure, and here before you know it!
See you at the bus stops !

Old 11-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

By Land and by Air: Our first Xmas Trip

In 10 days we will arrive at our favorite vacation destination. That's right, WDW! We are arriving in two groups by two different methods. You can read our pre-trip report below for general info on us. I will add several updates before we leave and then do a trip report when we get back.

So far everything is on track and (Hopefully) there will be no surprises before we hit the road.
Thanks to lovetoscrap and Mrs. The King for showing me how to make the correct links. That's what this forum is all about, sharing our experiences and know-how with others.

Our Pre-Trip Report This has been posted before, but I want to consolidate all of my 2008 trip threads into one thread.
I surprise the kids See what happens when the kids get the good news.
The Cast A little bit about us
Getting There Like The title says, by Land and by Air
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos

Last edited by MOmousefan; 11-23-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

The Cast

Even though we are listed in the Pre-Trip report, I would like to introduce our group in a little more depth.

Amy and Bryan:

Amy is my oldest and the most focused of the three. In the Fourth grade she told me she was going to get a job that "Pays good, wouldn't get her hands dirty, and she would only work four days a week". She is now a dental hygienist and meeting all three objectives. She hasn't been to WDW sincw 2005 and is my best co-Disney fanatic!

Bryan has his company, http://www.simplycruisers.com and brokers the sale of cruisers here on the Lake of the Ozarks. He can act like a gerbil on a high energy drink sometimes, but always has a good time and will have a great time on this trip. Bryan has never been to WDW and his goal is to ride EVERY ride while on this trip. It is a lofty goal that he just might meet!

Andy: Our youngest of three and Mom's favorite. Andy lives and breathes performance boats and is on the pit crew for an OSS race boat while working at a local marina. The Lake of the Ozarks hosts an OSS race every September.
Andy hasn't been to WDW since 1995. He is as quiet as Bryan is wordy.

Me: Dad, Mike, retired teacher. When I say I am retired I sound old, but I don't feel that old, at least not all of the time. I have to tell you that retirement is great I don't miss the classroom all that much. I substitute once or twice a week in the Career Center where I taught and get to BS with the guys. I will enjoy this trip as Andy will do the majority of the driving and I will make comments on his driving skills. Otherwise, weather permitting, I will just hang out on the porch.
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos
Old 11-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

Getting There

Amy and Bryan are flying out of Lambert Field in St. Louis on Sunday Nov 30 and will arrive at MCO around 11:30 Mouse time. They will spend Saturday night with Bryanís parents in St. Louis. They will fly home on Saturday the 6th and be home in the Ozarks by midnight.
Andy and I are going to drive down to WDW and plan to drive straight through in around 18 hours. I base the time on our 2005 driving time. The 2005 trip was with my two daughters and we made several (Unnecessary) potty stops. I know I know, they were not unnecessary to the girls. Itís just that us guys can go farther on a can of soda.
In 2005 we drove our 1998 Toyota Avalon and it was a great traveling car.

I recently retired from teaching and I had 298.5 sick days accumulated. I missed 11.5 days of school in 31 years. Our school district gives us $50 for every unused sick day, so do the math. I decided to treat myself to a newer car, so on my birthday in October I bought a 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited with 15,00 miles on it.

The dealer wouldnít give us enough for the í98 Avalon, so we gave it to Amy and Bryan. She had been driving a 1995 Camry and my wife was getting worried about the reliability (Thatís what moms are supposed to do).
So Andy and I will plan our departure to arrive at PoP the same time as Amy and Bryan.

Even though Amy and Bryan have DME tickets, we will haul their two bags so they can save $60 in baggage fees. You gotta love the airlines new gouging policies.
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos
Old 12-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #10
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

By Land and By Air....We're Back!!

We have come crashing back to reality after a great week with Mickey. As you will see, the weather was a mix of extremes, the crowds great, and everyone had a memorable time. My son Andy hadn’t been since 1995, my SIL Bryan’s first trip, and my daughter Amy last visited in 2005. We had a great adventure and experienced WDW at Xmas for the first time. I have never been to Disney two years in a row and hope keep this up from now on. I have 204 Photopass pictures to edit including our resort photoshoot. BTW, the resort deal for $25 is well worth the cost and there will be a post in this topic coming up.
Read our Pre-Trip Report to learn more about us. So sit back and I hope you are not bored with our adventures.

Leaving For WDW in which we encounter rain and mysterious blue lights

Sunday: DHS and a new Experience

Monday Morning: in which we encounter lions, tigers, and bears (Oh my)
Monday Night: in which we see Spectro and "fireworks"
Tuesday: the great coconut caper
Wednesday Morning: Our jay-walkin', dart-tossin', roller-coastin' fun!
Wednesday Night: In darkest Africa
Thursday Morning: Capt. Hook, EMH, and that darn tune.
Thursday Night: A Fantasmic Experience!
Friday
Coming Home
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos

Last edited by MOmousefan; 12-31-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
KidGoofy
This
Loves Pierogies
Just remember VMK is still always watching you
i worship devan

subscribing
Old 12-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

By Land and By Air

Today is the day we leave for WDW!!! Saturday morning dawned with just me and the cat in the bed. My wife left Friday with my daughter Alison and her husband for Kansas City. They invited her to see a Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert, her favorite musical group. She would be coming home tonight after we leave.
The day is overcast and 47 degrees, but I like driving without the glare of a bright sun, so conditions are good. We are leaving at 3:00 PM and driving through the night and plan on arriving at PoP Century around 10:00AM EST. I am chomping at the bit to get on the road, but we canít leave too early and then arrive early Sunday morning.
I have packed the car with 3 suitcases and two smaller cases, Diet Pepsi (for me), Redbull (for Bryan), and numerous snacks for the resort. We are bring Amy and Bryanís suitcases to save them $60 in airline fees.

At last, 3:00! Andy drives the first part of the journey and we head south towards I-44 and then St. Louis. There is now a bypass around metro St. Louis by taking I-270 south and then I-255 to Illinois I-64 east to Mt.Vernon. It is an excellent solution to driving through the heart of St. Louis.

We stop for supper in Nashville, Nashville Illinois that is. McDonalds hits the spot and we are back on the road. At 8:30 we stop in Metropolis,Il home of Superman (It says so on the water tower). I drive through Kentucky and into Tennessee. Andy takes over driving around Chattanooga and we proceed into Georgia. Traffic is light, which is why we drive at night. As we are proceeding through metro Atlanta we round a curve and traffic is stopped. There are 30 cars ahead of us across all six lanes and ahead are flashing blue lights on several vehicles. It is 2:15 in the morning and the traffic is building up behind us. Here is where it gets weird. All of a sudden the lights go off and I swear as we proceed there no emergency vehicles to be seen. The traffic flow becomes intense as we are passed on the right and left even though we are going 80MPH. All through southern GA it rains hard enough to make sleep impossible and road construction is constant to the FL border.

The Florida Turnpike is comming up.

I know where to get my Okahumpka serviced

The rest of the trip is uneventful even though I miss the WDW turnoff 0n 429 and we take 192 to WDW. We arrive at PoP at 9:30 and check in.

Of course the room isnít ready, so what else can a Dad do but take his son on his first Mission:Space experience!
After the ride we had a text message from Bryan that they were on the ground at MCO. We return to PoP to await their arrival.

Next: Hollywood Studios in the rain.
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos
Old 12-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Sounds like the beginnings of a great trip! I love family gatherings What a great idea taking Amy & Brian's suitcases saving them $$! I am leaving Saturday morning and was just planning to take mine as carry-on and then check my daughter's stroller (she, fiance & grandson age 1 will be arriving next Wednesday so I thought I'd save them the fee and trouble by taking the stroller w/me.)

Can't wait for more

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 12-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
MOmousefan
DIS Veteran

By Land and By Air

heaven2dc - The things we do for our kids! The locals were talking about a cold front moving in on Tuesday, so bring warm cloths.
Our 2007 Trip
Our 2005 Trip
See all of my Videos
Old 12-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Just found this and enjoying.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: