Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

DS needs help for Health could be sensitive - Autism related

DS12 needs to do a poster on Mental Health issues in America and in the list from the National Institute of Health it lists Autism in group of Mental Disorders. I'm not sure how I feel about that, is Autism a Mental Disorder?? I don't see how Autism can be lumped into the same category as OCD or social phobias. But then again I'm not well versed on Autism.

Do you think he should include it? I'm thinking no but I also don't want him to get a failing grade either.

I'm not here to start a fight, y'all know this so that's why I posted here and not on the Community Boards. But I do want to keep it civil.

link to Mental Health Chart
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publi...-america.shtml
Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

I would say he probably should include it. I think Autism has such a wide range of levels it is hard to classify at times but the communication issues that some with autism have would fall into the same category as the other emotional diseases that also fall under mental health (such as depression). If you are classifing broadly as they seem to between mental or physical- it definately falls under mental rather than physical.

Rebecca
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
MomOf2DisneyKids
Scrapbook mommy
Buttons.. if they aren't Mickey shaped, I can take them or leave them!
ooh, McDreamy !!!!
Kiefer Sutherland, anyone??

I don't think he should...but I'm probably biased. FWIW, I just googled 'is autism a mental illness' and a lot of the sites came back with no. It is a developmental disorder.

ETA: what about just asking his teacher what he/she thinks about including it vs leaving it off...?
If there are any students with autism disorders in the class, if the poster is going to be displayed, that might be a bit awkward...

Last edited by MomOf2DisneyKids; 12-05-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
BernardandMissBianca
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

It's due tomorrow, we were just leaving the Autism part off until the end.

The teacher is wishy washy, he's hard to read. And really really mean. He was my gym teacher too and I still can't stand him. LOL

We don't have any kids with Autism in DS's class but we do have kids mainstreamed in the school. I think the poster will be displayed at least in the health room if not the hallway.

DS decided to leave it off.

Thanks for both opinions!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
WDWMom
DIS Veteran

My BFF has a son with autism. We have spent days at a time with him (we live in different states now) and I would not classify autism as a mental disablility nor would his parents. I would leave it off.

"Everybody's got a boat upon the ocean, but not everybody's sailing out to sea." K. Loggins
Old 12-05-2008, 06:14 AM   #6
Lisa
OMG, I think I am going to pee my pants
Where is that evil devil smilie when I need it?
Aside from a near collison with a Tom Turkey flying across the highway the day was great!

Autism is a developmental disorder.
Next visit: WDW/DCL 04/15
Old 12-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

As a person who has worked with disabled kids for 15 years, I have to fall on the other side of this. (I have a cousin with Aspergers, so it is also personal, FYI) It is a mental disorder. The reason why it is classified as developmental (PDD) is more of a social stigma issue. Which to me is awful. What makes a kid with autism any "better" than a kid with schizophrenia? They are both genetic conditions (I don't buy the vaccine debate at all). And both "diseases" will be cured or at least preventable in the next 20 years or so. Currently, if you can get to child early enough, they can be "cured."

What I mean by that, is if a first born has a PDD, a second born can go into therapy as an infant to mitigate any inherent brain formation issues that will lead to PDD issues. The problem with autism at this point is the time factor. A child does not usually develop PDD symptoms until they are toddlers and the developmental damage has already be done. Current therapy and medication can help people bypass the "bad" parts of the brain, but cant fix the inherent issue that is noticed in bran scans.
For example my 22 year old cousin with Asbergers has been trained to recognize the emotion of someone by looking for specific ques in their body language (slumped shoulders, down eyes = sad). "Normal" people can just tell when someone is sad without having to go "hmmm he is slouching that means he is either tired or sad. Oh and his eyes are turned down that means he must be sad." And yes we do teach kids to "recognize" other people's emotions by using a checklist like that.

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Old 12-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
logan&tylersmama
DIS Veteran

ok here is my clincial take on it.
autisum is a developmental disorder NOT at mental health disorder
for example depression, schizophrenia, OCD are mental health disorders - they can be treated with medication for people to be able to control or subside symptoms.
in the DSM multiaxial evaluation system Autistic disorder is listed as an Axis II diagnois (299.00) along with mental retardation (317.00)
people with developmental disabilities can have mental health issues or not
just like people without developmental disablities
does this make sense?
I know it can be confusing and they are changing the guidlines all the time- just like years ago homoselxuality was listed as a mental health disorder - but dont get me started on that.
let me know if you need more info buffy.
i hope he does well with his presentation
Old 12-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan&tylersmama View Post
ok here is my clincial take on it.
autisum is a developmental disorder NOT at mental health disorder
for example depression, schizophrenia, OCD are mental health disorders - they can be treated with medication for people to be able to control or subside symptoms.
in the DSM multiaxial evaluation system Autistic disorder is listed as an Axis II diagnois (299.00) along with mental retardation (317.00)
people with developmental disabilities can have mental health issues or not
just like people without developmental disablities

I know it can be confusing and they are changing the guidlines all the time- just like years ago homoselxuality was listed as a mental health disorder - but dont get me started on that.
Another psychologist? Can I tell you how much I HATE the DSM? I had the sucker nearly memorized in college! Homosexuality was a mental disorder until 1980 was it? DSM-V is due out in a few years and there is supposedly a big change with the PPDs.

Oh, but BAMB if you want the official psychological classification, logan&tylersmama has it right.

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Old 12-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
SusieStone
I am addicted to those heated seats

It is not a mental health disorder.

It is a developmental disorder that may have othre issues that accompany it.

This information is from the board certified developmental pediatrician/board certified psychiatrist and I am a mother with a child who is on the spectrum and have been a nurse for over 20 years.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
TinkerBean
Earning My Ears and Losing My Mind
That Shucks

*My* DS has Asperger's...It is not a Mental Health Disorder. It is a neurobiologic syndrome. Most kids on the spectrum fall under PDD, Pervasive Developmental Disorder...Again *developmental*.

I know this is a sticky subject, but as a parent I want the answer to the question to be clear...

AUTISM is not a metal disorder...

Me DH DS 13 DD 10
Thanks Mazda
"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity” Albert Einstein
Hans Christian Anderson, David Byrne, Albert Einstein, Michelangelo, Thomas Jefferson, Alan Turing, Andy Warhol, Bill Gates, Temple Grandin [and DS Max] are all said to have had Aspergers’ Syndrome. (wikipedia, 2007)
http://mominmedford.blogspot.com
read about the adventures of navigating the school system when you have a child with Asperger's...

Last edited by TinkerBean; 12-06-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: accidentally hit the quote button...
Old 12-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to close this thread so we don't get an influx of people posting.

He should get his grade on Friday, I'll let you know what it is.

Thanks again!!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: