DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #121
LIFERBABE
DVC MEMBER @ BCV BWV OKW SSR BLT AKV
 
LIFERBABE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: COWTOWN U.S.A
Posts: 6,858

Sorry to get OT............

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbuzz&minnie View Post
I hate the whole idea of a "special perks club". One way of thinking about it maybe Disney's way - is that it raises the perceived value of certain members. The catch, though, is that it can also make the majority of members feel less special, less valued than the "elite".

Will Disney be tempted, next time it considers extending extra benefits to all DVC members, to just extend those benefits to the elite? Over time this strategy could make a lot of 2nd class citizens...I mean members... reconsider the "specialness" of owning DVC at all.
I agree. As DVC gets larger, we become more visible and businesses want to market to us. It's like AAA and AAA Plus offers. You pay more you get more discounts and benefits. I can see where there would be a tiered system of benefits and perks. There will be some businesses that want to market to DVC but target certain members and this will allow that.

Maybe this is 1 reason for this consideration. We are becoming too large to offer some benefits to as a whole.
__________________
"If "if" was a fifth we'd all be drunk"
-my Daddy


"Mama I want go see Mittey Mouse"
MAY 1998 Apopka/JUNE 2002 Highland Rsrv./JUNE 2003 Wind. PalmsMAY 2004 SSR DVC Member Homecoming/JUNE 2004 SOG & BCV 2B2Q/OCT 2004 BWV 1B & SSR H-Jeanne/ DEC 2004 VWL & SSR/MAY to JUNE 2005 MONTH VISIT TO BCV AND SSR/SEPT 05 DVC MEMBER CRUISE DCL Wonder/DEC 05 BCV & SSR/MAY-June 2006 SSR/Sept 2006 7 Day DCL Double Castaway Cay/Oct 2006 DVC Member Cruise 2006/Dec 2006-Jan 2007 Christmas @ BCV & NYE @ SSR/March 2007 Girls trip to BWV & SSR/June 2007 Family Reunion @ SSR/July 2007 First Trip to AKV Sav.View!/Oct 2007 BCV F&WF/Dec-Jan 2008 AKV Concierge and SSR/JUNE 08 BCV/SSR/AUG-SEP 08TOAL EB REPO/OCT 08 F&WF BCV concierge/DEC 08 SSR/AKV/HHI/JUNE 09 DCL/DEC 09 THV/.........
LIFERBABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:06 PM   #122
revrob
A Custom Fairy
 
revrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,732

I've not read the whole thread, I just had to post to say that the minute that the minute that I feel as if I've become "second class" because I don't own enough points, is the day that I will be putting our points on the market and never returning. We have made a very large (for us) investment into DVC. If it isn't enough for DVC to continue to treat us equally, then I'm sure there are plenty of places that would love to have our money. ESPECIALLY in this economy!
revrob is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #123
zulaya
Certified Disney Addict & Kitchen Magician
Thinks it's fun to look at people's new stuff
You can never have enough duct tape!
 
zulaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: MN, BCV and AKV
Posts: 6,213

Just wanted to chime in...430 points...all purchase direct from DVC...no survey for us.

I'm guessing the 1000 points threshold is probably it. As dearly as I'd love to, not happening in the foreseeable future for us.

Going to be following this closely. I'm very curious what they plan to implement.
__________________
My Disney Blog:

http://www.disneysavvy.com

Offsite ~ 12/94, 12/2000
ASSp 05/01
AKL/Concierge/AKV-Kidani 09/01, 10/05, 6/09,3/12
Polynesian 12/02
BCV 6/03, 11/03, 12/04,10/05, 12/06, 6/07, 12/07, 4/08, 10/08, 12/09, 11/10,12/10, 5/11, 6/11,3/12,3/13,5/14
POR/OKW - Pampered Chef trip 06/05
DCL 10/08
CSR 6/10
POFQ 10/13
Next: Dec 2014 BCV
zulaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #124
Candace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Northeast Arkansas
Posts: 1,815

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulaya View Post
Just wanted to chime in...430 points...all purchase direct from DVC...no survey for us.

I'm guessing the 1000 points threshold is probably it. As dearly as I'd love to, not happening in the foreseeable future for us.

Going to be following this closely. I'm very curious what they plan to implement.
Well, I own over 1000 and I have not received anything about a survey.
__________________
<BR>
Candace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #125
hcortesis
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: just outside of Toronto
Posts: 265

1000 points here and yep, I got a survey.
hcortesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #126
Jaaron2
Disney Vet
 
Jaaron2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kirkwood, PA
Posts: 895

we own 450 points and love DVC. I am not upset one bit about this. First DVC is not going to take away the perks we already have because the majority of the owners will be below the threshold for the "potential" extra perks they might offer. I dont see how someone receiving some small extra perk because they invested alot of money into DVC makes any of us second class citizens. We built a nice large home 5 years ago (for us at least 2,800 sq ft) and love where we live. many people have bigger homes with more land but it certainly dosent make me feel like a second class citizen.

I think there could be a bit of over-reacting to what these perks will actually be. I dont think Disney is going to be building another park for these folks or anything I am a premier member with airlines and hotels. Sure there are some additional perks but nothing earth shattering for sure. I dont think Disney is going to do anything to offend 90% of its members for the sake of the other 10. And hey, if they put that much money into it more power to them! I always though (and I am sure everyone else did as well" that as DVC members we already feel seperate from the "non DVC" members that visit the World. Are we then treating non DVC members like second class citizens?
__________________
Jaaron2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #127
corpcomp
The 100 Yard Dash and Mr. D
 
corpcomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wilton, CT
Posts: 1,115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaron2 View Post
we own 450 points and love DVC. I am not upset one bit about this. First DVC is not going to take away the perks we already have because the majority of the owners will be below the threshold for the "potential" extra perks they might offer. I dont see how someone receiving some small extra perk because they invested alot of money into DVC makes any of us second class citizens. We built a nice large home 5 years ago (for us at least 2,800 sq ft) and love where we live. many people have bigger homes with more land but it certainly dosent make me feel like a second class citizen.
To your point we love the fact that we have DVC ownership and can stay at what we consider a luxury resort on vacation as compared to the value or mid level resorts we used to stay at. I have all the perks I need now (except for complimentary Gelatos - hey, now that's a great perk!!!! ).
__________________
Corpcomp

1980-2000 - too many to count
March 01 Poly, March 02, 03 Coronado Springs
March 04 Caribbean Beaches, March 05, 06 Coronado Springs
July 06, April 07, April 08 BCV, June 08 BWV & Yacht Club, Feb 09 BWV, Halloween 09 SSR & BWV, April 10, July 10 BCV & VWL, Aug 11 BWV, Aug 12 BCV, April 13 BCV, NYE 13 BLT & BCV
corpcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #128
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 6,696

No survey here.
__________________
DVC 09/00 OKW - 6/02 BCV

Upcoming/planned trips:
May - HH
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #129
BrentR
Mouseketeer
 
BrentR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 111

I think it would be a great marketing move for Disney to create some sort of club. If it creates sales and improves the product. Let's remember that Disney is a corporation and the last time I looked it was not a non-profit corporation. From their standpoint they are looking at ways to enhance their bottom line and create loyalty. Loyalty means people will keep coming back and spending more money. The folks with 1000 point contracts already spend thousands of $$ a year on dues, tickets, meals, merchandise etc etc..
From Disney's standpoint why not give back to this group of people they are a great marketing force for Disney. I am in no way suggesting that the rest of us members who don't have the thresh-hold are not a great marketing force, it's just that those who have mega points have proven to Disney that they bleed mouse ears. I have a long ways to go in order to be at a level where I would be considered for the "club" and don't really have the desire because we definatly don't get to use our membership as much as others due to distance from the World. But then again you never know, one can always dream!!
__________________


(Me) (DW) (DD9) (DD7)
BrentR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #130
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,934

It will be interesting if DVC goes the way of other points systems where they offer perks to those who own more points and usually ONLY if they bought them retail though they often grandfather those that currently qualify otherwise. IF so one can fuss and gripe or one can position themselves to be in the top group. Can you see the threads on this BBS if DVC did decide to head this way.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:08 AM   #131
kdzgon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrob View Post
I've not read the whole thread, I just had to post to say that the minute that the minute that I feel as if I've become "second class" because I don't own enough points, is the day that I will be putting our points on the market and never returning. We have made a very large (for us) investment into DVC. If it isn't enough for DVC to continue to treat us equally, then I'm sure there are plenty of places that would love to have our money. ESPECIALLY in this economy!
Yes, you are right - you are always free to spend your money elsewhere. However, many if not most of those places will have elite status, incentive and/or loyalty programs as well. Some are fee based, some on frequency/ownership levels, etc. but there are many, many programs in place.

How many people that are saying "everyone should be treated the same" turn down the AP discounts or never avail themselves of "special" events, etc? Why should AAA membership warrant special treatment, but not large ownership? The latter is a much more significant monetary investment than an AAA membership. Having an AP brings plenty of rewards as well - is that discriminatory, or good business practice, rewarding regular visitors?

As to the booking windows, I have a question for the more informed members here: doesn't the POS just guarantee a minimum 1 month advantage at your home resort? Granting large contract owners an additional window does not take away from the guaranteed 1 month home advantage - does it say anywhere that all owners must have the same advantage, or is it just a 1 month minimum?
kdzgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #132
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys
 
nunzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,450

<<<Funding for the program would undoubtedly come from the sales department (no member dues) since the purpose is to increase sales and/or referrals from existing members.>>>

I'm confused..where does funding for the sales department come from? Sales of DVC points? I'd think so, but then after the sale wouldn't all costs associated with maintaining the member (DisneyFiles, MS, etc) come from our MF? I guess I don't see how the sales team would get stuck forever paying for extras on high points members long after the sale is over.
__________________
nunzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #133
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Legally I doubt that is true.

The POS makes general statements about room requests not being guaranteed, check-in time being after 4pm, etc. If they were to give preferential treatment to a certain group, I suspect it would be legally permitted as long as the other group still received the benefits guaranteed by the ownership docs.

In other words, they could take steps to block off a room for a "club member" that meets his/her exact location and view request, and make sure the room is ready by 8am. As long as the rest of the guests have their reserved room in-hand by 4pm, DVC has not violated any agreements with members.

What they could NOT do is bump someone from, say, a Preferred BW View room class to a Preferred Garden/Pool View in favor of a "club member." But if one of these club members books the BoardWalk View and requests "5th floor over Crest 'o the Wave", DVC could take extra steps to make that request happen.

Funding for the program would undoubtedly come from the sales department (no member dues) since the purpose is to increase sales and/or referrals from existing members.
The only thing they couldn't change is home resort access. Everything else including the option to trade points for tickets, a shorter lead time to none home resort reservation, even all the exchange options currently available and expected to cont and about every other option you can think of could be shifted to such a program at the expense of the rest of the members.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #134
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,265

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFERBABE View Post
Well, for 1, we have a new way of reporting availability here on the DIS where people report availability or lack of, that was implemented at the time of the change. We also have the waitlist threads.
Do those resources provide any indication that members are being shut-out because they are no longer able to place day-by-day calls?

Quote:
I still have to call several times to get what I want, just don't see the point in complaining about it here, since we all have to do the same thing. I dont like it, but I have enough points to get what I want when I want, so not going to worry about it.
Depending upon the duration of the trip I'm sure there are reservations that require multiple calls. But many thousands of calls have certainly been saved since DBD was eliminated.

Quote:
Not to mention, we are in a recession and the competition for reservations is not as fierce as it was. Even with DVC, people have postponed or cancelled trips. I picked up AKV Concierge for Christmas Eve last week.
Cancellations are not exactly unheard of in the DVC world. While DVC reservations may have dropped to some degree, I doubt that it's anything substantial since the points are a sunk cost.

My point is simply this: people like to think that DVC makes kneejerk reactions without even thinking things thru. In this case, evidence would suggest that day by day reservations were unnecessary and this move did exactly what it was designed to do. DVC had the data to make that determination before implementing the change.

Quote:
2. What I stated was fact from JL himself, not heresay or assumption. I did not say that everyone in the organization agreed with him, they have stood up for Exchanges and that is why we see the push for members to use them.
Fair enough.

I guess that goes to show that JL doesn't always get his way. It sounds like he has a personal dislike for the exchange programs. That sort of attitude is not exactly unheard of in the business world. I'm sure most CEOs would privately admit a dislike for some product/service/process their company is forced to provide.

Still, business decisions must be made based upon what is best for customers and the business as a whole.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #135
Laurabearz
I cant load my bobbin!
three kids keep me hopping
I was Grunge before Grunge was Grunge

Hot for Danny DeVito!
 
Laurabearz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 4.53 miles from PatrickIL' s house (would rather live by Universal to see if the Mummy ride will be open before May 21st!)
Posts: 13,754

If someone rents from a big time renter, will they now have access to something most members dont, mearly because the person they rented from owns (X) number of points?
__________________
1/02 OKW 4/02 Offsite 5/02 BC/Poly 8/02 The Plaza NYC 9/02 BWV/RPR 10/02 HHI GV 12/02 OKW 9/03 VWL 11/03 BWV2/04 OKW/VB5/04 BWV/HRH6/04 HHI 10/04 BCV1/05 OKW 6/05 HHI 9/05 CR/Wonder 12/05 HRH/BWV 5/06 DLR 6/06 BWV 7/06 HHI 10/06 BWV/HRH 11/06OKW/RPR4/07 SSR 7/07 HHI 10/07 OKW/Magic/VWL 12/07 OKW 6/08 DLH 8/08 OKW/HRH10/08 BWV/RPR11/08 OKW/POP2/09 YC/RPR3/09 SSR 6/09 HHI 8/09 RPR/AKVJ/BWV/ASMo10/09 RPR2/10 FWCabins 4/10 BWV08/10 RPR/OKW10/10 BWV1/11 SSR 1/11BCV6/11 RPR/BCV11/11 BCV/AKJSAV 1/12 AKJSAV
On the Horizon HHI 6/12

Universal Orlando is Disney's Best Kept Secret!
Laurabearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.