DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 07:48 AM   #106
fishermouse
DVC owner SSR/AKV
 
fishermouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.E. PA.
Posts: 960

I did not read all the posts so maybe this was already addressed, but who pays for the special perks. Granted if you have more points you pay more dues but you also use the facilities more, so dues are paid and used equally regardless of the number of points. So unless there is an additional charge for this propsed club, it can not be exclusive based on # of points etc. Also if preferential bookings, views etc are given this also is a violation of terms every single point each of us holds is of the same value when used, we may not have as many to use as someone else, but when I book a room it should be equal to any one else that books a room. If they did not want us average folks in the club they should have made it that way from the beginning. Put me in the "I DON"T LIKE IT GROUP"
__________________
SAVE A LIFE ADOPT A HOMELESS PET

fishermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:13 AM   #107
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The People's Republic of Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,704

Quote:
who pays for the special perks
In most other systems, it gets charged to sales. So, everyone pays in proportion to their developer purchases.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #108
magicmommy
DIS Veteran
 
magicmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,279

We have 1010 points and did get they survey. We also have referred 4-5 people who have purchased DVC.
__________________
magicmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #109
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermouse View Post
So unless there is an additional charge for this propsed club, it can not be exclusive based on # of points etc. Also if preferential bookings, views etc are given this also is a violation of terms every single point each of us holds is of the same value when used, we may not have as many to use as someone else, but when I book a room it should be equal to any one else that books a room. If they did not want us average folks in the club they should have made it that way from the beginning.
Legally I doubt that is true.

The POS makes general statements about room requests not being guaranteed, check-in time being after 4pm, etc. If they were to give preferential treatment to a certain group, I suspect it would be legally permitted as long as the other group still received the benefits guaranteed by the ownership docs.

In other words, they could take steps to block off a room for a "club member" that meets his/her exact location and view request, and make sure the room is ready by 8am. As long as the rest of the guests have their reserved room in-hand by 4pm, DVC has not violated any agreements with members.

What they could NOT do is bump someone from, say, a Preferred BW View room class to a Preferred Garden/Pool View in favor of a "club member." But if one of these club members books the BoardWalk View and requests "5th floor over Crest 'o the Wave", DVC could take extra steps to make that request happen.

Funding for the program would undoubtedly come from the sales department (no member dues) since the purpose is to increase sales and/or referrals from existing members.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:42 AM   #110
qtzar
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hookstown, PA
Posts: 67

I'm sure the people at DVC management have discussed this idea to death internally for quite some time before sending the survey out to people who match the requirements.

I am all for the idea of an special club with "extra" privileges that do not effect the current perks of being a DVC member.

To me this means that the VIP club members would not get anything like extended booking windows as that devalues the booking windows of the non-VIP members. However a special phone number to get through to dedicated Member Support people would be a valid perk.

Somebody mentioned Fast Passes, this too would be a valid perk, and something that I would link into the members DVC Membership card ( so that people who rent points can't avail of it ), and at the same time I would issue some nice new DVC Membership cards with a new design to show the holder is a member of the club.

There are other possible privileges that the club could have, like access to the BLT viewing area even when not staying at the BLT, super pool hopping rights ( to include the non-hop pools ), a further discount on the annual passes and Disney Dining plan. There are plenty of VIP privileges that would have a minimal cost to Disney/DVC but would give the members of the VIP club that special VIP feeling and also make non-VIP members strive to hit that mark.

If I was making the decisions on this VIP club then I would probably go for the 1000 point cutoff, but I would also have some sort of sub levels at 250, 500 and 750 points as it can take time to get/afford 1000 points. When you hit the 1000 mark you could get the special membership card, the logo gear etc, at the lower levels you would still just have standard DVC membership card, no logo gear, less of an extra AP discount etc.
__________________
qtzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #111
wdwstar
DIS Veteran
 
wdwstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,281

Sounds like DVC is getting nerves with the economy dropping people wont be buying DVC and the big push on using DVC outside of WDW is tapering off because of not enough hotel availablity, now lets introduce something new to our members to get them to buy more points with out spending $$$ to keep building. Yes, i am brainwash by DVC to buy points in new DVC resorts that i like to stay, but to put us all at seperate levels because of the amount of points we own. To give dVC members who own more points then the next dvc member that owns less points, more of an elite title. This is not starting to sound friendly and this probable will start fights among neighbors & families.

DVC already started singling us out by sending the survey to only the members that own a hugh amount of points. Why dont they send us all the survey, that would be a equal and fair results.
wdwstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #112
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The People's Republic of Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,704

Quote:
with the economy dropping people wont be buying DVC
I'm not convinced of this. In particular, it is not clear to me that many folks on the upper rungs of the socio-economic ladder are feeling any real pain beyond paper losses in their 401K accounts.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #113
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwstar View Post
To give dVC members who own more points then the next dvc member that owns less points, more of an elite title. This is not starting to sound friendly and this probable will start fights among neighbors & families.
I think it's important to note that DVC hasn't provided ANY specifics about this club. If you've read some of the posts here, all you are seeing is speculation about what Disney could/would do and comments about what other timeshare developers have done.

This could end up being as little as a special ID card, a few extra FastPasses per trip and preferred viewing for Illuminations.

Quote:
DVC already started singling us out by sending the survey to only the members that own a hugh amount of points. Why dont they send us all the survey, that would be a equal and fair results.
If you read the posts in Page 1 which list the poll content, they never asked if members think the club is a good idea...they asked for feedback on the NAME. With less than 5% of members owning upward of 1000 points, I doubt they are going to ask what people think of the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
I'm not convinced of this. In particular, it is not clear to me that many folks on the upper rungs of the socio-economic ladder are feeling any real pain beyond paper losses in their 401K accounts.
I don't think you need to be on the upper rungs to be immune (401k notwithstanding.) The vast majority of the country is still gainfully employed, making regular mortgage payments and paying gas prices 1/3 of what they were over the summer.

The real question is how much impact the news stories have had on people's spending habits.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #114
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,590

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtzar View Post
I'm sure the people at DVC management have discussed this idea to death internally for quite some time before sending the survey out to people who match the requirements....
Evidently you haven't been around very long to be the brunt of DVC's "well thought out/well discussed" programs. I think Jim Lewis comes up with an idea and tells them to run with it.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #115
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Evidently you haven't been around very long to be the brunt of DVC's "well thought out/well discussed" programs. I think Jim Lewis comes up with an idea and tells them to run with it.
I don't want to take the thread too far off topic but do you really think JL has been that bad for DVC?

I don't know the man from Adam, but it doesn't take me long to think of a lot of positives to come from DVC in his 4-5 year tenure. Look at the great destinations added (BLT, AKV, VGC, THV, Hawaii), larger guest rooms, improved room layouts, better furniture (sofabeds, TVs), better patio furniture, better perks (AP discount, DDP access), website enhancements, more recurring member events (cruises, mixers) and discounts, free Internet, weekend hours at MS, more room categories at resorts, concierge availability, and so on.

It seems like we're pretty quick to jump on JL to bash every move that's made...even before the full effect is known. Take a look at the booking changes (11 mos from arrival.) What a case of much ado about nothing! And how many people's bookings have since gone from 5-7 phone calls to one phone call?

Sure there have been a few negatives. Those that come immediately to mind are the studio glassware policies (later reversed) and the change in banking window (while unpopular with some, others gained an advantage with the 100% window being extended). Are there other injustices I'm forgetting?

Although I wasn't an owner for long before JL came on board, I did follow DVC for several years. And my recollection is that things had pretty much stagnated. Same perks. Same useless website. Mediocre sales incentives. Few special events.

Overall I think the last 4-5 years have seen a LOT more positive changes for members than negative. And even many of the negatives are in the eye of the beholder (i.e. gaining the 2 months of banking 100% vs. loss of 2 months of banking 50/25%.)

My $.02.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #116
fishermouse
DVC owner SSR/AKV
 
fishermouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.E. PA.
Posts: 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtzar View Post
I am all for the idea of an special club with "extra" privileges that do not effect the current perks of being a DVC member.

To me this means that the VIP club members would not get anything like extended booking windows as that devalues the booking windows of the non-VIP members. However a special phone number to get through to dedicated Member Support people would be a valid perk.

Somebody mentioned Fast Passes, this too would be a valid perk, and something that I would link into the members DVC Membership card ( so that people who rent points can't avail of it ), and at the same time I would issue some nice new DVC Membership cards with a new design to show the holder is a member of the club.

There are other possible privileges that the club could have, like access to the BLT viewing area even when not staying at the BLT, super pool hopping rights ( to include the non-hop pools ), a further discount on the annual passes and Disney Dining plan. There are plenty of VIP privileges that would have a minimal cost to Disney/DVC but would give the members of the VIP club that special VIP feeling and also make non-VIP members strive to hit that mark.

If I was making the decisions on this VIP club then I would probably go for the 1000 point cutoff, but I would also have some sort of sub levels at 250, 500 and 750 points as it can take time to get/afford 1000 points. When you hit the 1000 mark you could get the special membership card, the logo gear etc, at the lower levels you would still just have standard DVC membership card, no logo gear, less of an extra AP discount etc.
I can live with perks on this order just have a huge problem with anything that affects preferential bookings and room selections. We are not that far off the mark for what many are assuming is the magic number, and I will not feel different if (when) we cross that threshhold. A point is a point no matter how many you have and each member on each visit should be treated the same. A good argument for booking catagories in all resorts. Want a better view or concierge services give up a few more points.
__________________
SAVE A LIFE ADOPT A HOMELESS PET

fishermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:19 PM   #117
LIFERBABE
DVC MEMBER @ BCV BWV OKW SSR BLT AKV
 
LIFERBABE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: COWTOWN U.S.A
Posts: 6,858

I will say that the booking changes are a little too new to call. We have yet to experience Christmas or NYE bookings under the new system.

JL did not get his way on this one. We would have NO EXCHANGE company if he did. Not enough members use it to justify the expense but it looks good on paper.
__________________
"If "if" was a fifth we'd all be drunk"
-my Daddy


"Mama I want go see Mittey Mouse"
MAY 1998 Apopka/JUNE 2002 Highland Rsrv./JUNE 2003 Wind. PalmsMAY 2004 SSR DVC Member Homecoming/JUNE 2004 SOG & BCV 2B2Q/OCT 2004 BWV 1B & SSR H-Jeanne/ DEC 2004 VWL & SSR/MAY to JUNE 2005 MONTH VISIT TO BCV AND SSR/SEPT 05 DVC MEMBER CRUISE DCL Wonder/DEC 05 BCV & SSR/MAY-June 2006 SSR/Sept 2006 7 Day DCL Double Castaway Cay/Oct 2006 DVC Member Cruise 2006/Dec 2006-Jan 2007 Christmas @ BCV & NYE @ SSR/March 2007 Girls trip to BWV & SSR/June 2007 Family Reunion @ SSR/July 2007 First Trip to AKV Sav.View!/Oct 2007 BCV F&WF/Dec-Jan 2008 AKV Concierge and SSR/JUNE 08 BCV/SSR/AUG-SEP 08TOAL EB REPO/OCT 08 F&WF BCV concierge/DEC 08 SSR/AKV/HHI/JUNE 09 DCL/DEC 09 THV/.........
LIFERBABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #118
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFERBABE View Post
I will say that the booking changes are a little too new to call. We have yet to experience Christmas or NYE bookings under the new system.
Just a quick reply.

I have to say that even if there are scattered reports of people not getting their reservation for that handful of days, the change was still a positive one. We've gone six months with no noteworthy reports of members having issues. Over that time THOUSANDS of phone calls have been eliminated. Bookings have gone from 5,6,7 phone calls to just one. The change served the greater good.

And if people can't get what they wanted for Thanksgiving or Christmas, it's just supply and demand kicking-in. Regardless of the system there are only so many rooms.

Quote:
JL did not get his way on this one. We would have NO EXCHANGE company if he did. Not enough members use it to justify the expense but it looks good on paper.
Couldn't disagree more. The volume of exchangers may be relatively low but DVC goes to great lengths to market those destinations. Check out the thread on the recent Boston area TV commercials or look at a promotional DVD. Whether or not people use those options, DVC views them as an integral part of the product they are selling. And I believe the cost is paid for by our dues plus the fees paid by those who exchange.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #119
LIFERBABE
DVC MEMBER @ BCV BWV OKW SSR BLT AKV
 
LIFERBABE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: COWTOWN U.S.A
Posts: 6,858

Well, for 1, we have a new way of reporting availability here on the DIS where people report availability or lack of, that was implemented at the time of the change. We also have the waitlist threads.

I still have to call several times to get what I want, just don't see the point in complaining about it here, since we all have to do the same thing. I dont like it, but I have enough points to get what I want when I want, so not going to worry about it.

Not to mention, we are in a recession and the competition for reservations is not as fierce as it was. Even with DVC, people have postponed or cancelled trips. I picked up AKV Concierge for Christmas Eve last week.

2. What I stated was fact from JL himself, not heresay or assumption. I did not say that everyone in the organization agreed with him, they have stood up for Exchanges and that is why we see the push for members to use them. If they don't show the numbers, then exchanges are on JL's short-list. The Marriott/II owners are more upset about the change than the DVC members and that says alot!
__________________
"If "if" was a fifth we'd all be drunk"
-my Daddy


"Mama I want go see Mittey Mouse"
MAY 1998 Apopka/JUNE 2002 Highland Rsrv./JUNE 2003 Wind. PalmsMAY 2004 SSR DVC Member Homecoming/JUNE 2004 SOG & BCV 2B2Q/OCT 2004 BWV 1B & SSR H-Jeanne/ DEC 2004 VWL & SSR/MAY to JUNE 2005 MONTH VISIT TO BCV AND SSR/SEPT 05 DVC MEMBER CRUISE DCL Wonder/DEC 05 BCV & SSR/MAY-June 2006 SSR/Sept 2006 7 Day DCL Double Castaway Cay/Oct 2006 DVC Member Cruise 2006/Dec 2006-Jan 2007 Christmas @ BCV & NYE @ SSR/March 2007 Girls trip to BWV & SSR/June 2007 Family Reunion @ SSR/July 2007 First Trip to AKV Sav.View!/Oct 2007 BCV F&WF/Dec-Jan 2008 AKV Concierge and SSR/JUNE 08 BCV/SSR/AUG-SEP 08TOAL EB REPO/OCT 08 F&WF BCV concierge/DEC 08 SSR/AKV/HHI/JUNE 09 DCL/DEC 09 THV/.........
LIFERBABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #120
donaldbuzz&minnie
Happy to be here!
 
donaldbuzz&minnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,195

I hate the whole idea of a "special perks club". One way of thinking about it maybe Disney's way - is that it raises the perceived value of certain members. The catch, though, is that it can also make the majority of members feel less special, less valued than the "elite".

Will Disney be tempted, next time it considers extending extra benefits to all DVC members, to just extend those benefits to the elite? Over time this strategy could make a lot of 2nd class citizens...I mean members... reconsider the "specialness" of owning DVC at all.
donaldbuzz&minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.