DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #46
dvc_john
DIS Veteran

DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 2nd Place

Thanks to several posters who correctly noted that the word 'elite' was mine, and not DVC's. I should have used a different word, but that's the word that came to mind at the time.

We certainly have to wait to see what, if anything, comes of this. But I don't think some perks that DO NOT detract from other members ownership would be so bad. I definitely do not think they should (or will) have different booking windows for this group of members. But when you compare a 1000 point owner (paying $5000+ yearly maintenance fees) with a 25 point owner (paying $125 yearly maintenance fees), what would be so terrible about a free cookie and glass of punch at a social hour?

btw, this is not unusual. Marriott and Hilton timeshares have special benefits for multiple week/large points ownership. Every hotel chain and airline has some sort of loyalty program. I get free breakfast at Hilton and Marriott hotels because of my status. But I don't get any special privileges with any airline, and I certainly don't resent those who do because they fly 20 or 30 times a year and I don't. They've earned it. I didn't.

Even Disney has a number of benefits for targeted groups. They frequently have special offer mailings for specific geographic areas. Florida residents get a lot of special perks. UK and Canadian residents often get special treatment, especially if the exchange rate is not good for them.

Even DVC has special incentives for larger purchases. X$ off a purchase of 100 points or more. Double developer points if you purchase while on a cruise. California purchasers getting first crack at Grand Californian points. Nobody complains about those.

I think we need to cool off a bit and not jump to conclusions.

DVC nights stayed to date:
AKV 15, ARS 8, BCV 61, BLT 17, BWV 83, HH 64, OKW 198, SSR 30, THV 9, VB 28, VGC 20, VGF 4, VWL 52

Last edited by dvc_john; 12-03-2008 at 08:01 PM.
dvc_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #47
Mamiamjo
"M-I-C... S-E"

Just great

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriff75 View Post
This concerns me. One of the things I really like about DVC is that they treat all members equally. It doesn't matter if you bought resale, it doesn't matter that you only own 25 points, every member gets the same perks, and the use of there membership. In many other timeshare points programs they have different levels of membership. If you only buy a few points, or buy resale, you become second class citizens, not entitled to the same benefits as the VIP owners.
Another way to dump on us "sub-prime" points owners. First they switch to RCI and now we'll end up with ownership levels. Just another way to make our ownership "more valuable"?
Just Great!
Mamiamjo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #48
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Most of the other timeshare systems that have similar programs offer several "nice" but extremely inexpensive perks---a newspaper delivered daily, early check-in, that sort of thing. A few offer discounted access to distress inventory, but that would likely end up in breakage anyway. A few offer some limited early-booking privileges to non-home resorts. In the grand scheme of things, they are very minor, and don't really impact any of the other owners in a material way. But, they do make those who qualify feel special, and that is their purpose.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #49
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamiamjo View Post
Another way to dump on us "sub-prime" points owners. First they switch to RCI and now we'll end up with ownership levels. Just another way to make our ownership "more valuable"?
Just Great!
You forgot to add, "What's next?" to which I'm thinking, "... differentiation between retail and resale ownership ..."
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #50
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
Most of the other timeshare systems that have similar programs offer several "nice" but extremely inexpensive perks---a newspaper delivered daily, early check-in, that sort of thing. A few offer discounted access to distress inventory, but that would likely end up in breakage anyway. A few offer some limited early-booking privileges to non-home resorts. In the grand scheme of things, they are very minor, and don't really impact any of the other owners in a material way. But, they do make those who qualify feel special, and that is their purpose.
That sounds a bit like ME, where the guests taking ME have the first shot a vacant room, even if I'm standing there already, checking in and I drove so I have to wait for a room to be available.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #51
DVCJones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady V View Post
I agree....sounds like they will be treating us according to our number of points. No longer will we all be part of the same club. I don't like it.
I totally agree!!! I think everyone should be treated the same.

You know what the perk for owning a large number of points should be....? You get to go on vacation more often. That is it!!!!JMHO
Old 12-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #52
Brian Noble

Quote:
That sounds a bit like ME
The difference being an ME guest is merely a captive audience member who might spend a few extra dollars on bottled water, whereas a big-point DVC owner has measurably contributed to the company's bottom line. The latter is a lot more understandable.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #53
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

I don't mind if they give some additional perks to members at higher point levels, but I certainly wouldn't want them to get earlier booking rights. I think I would be resentful if they took away perks from those of us at lower levels, but not if they simply gave new perks. I might be a little envious, but it wouldn't sour my experience with DVC. (We're not likely to ever have enough DVC points to be in any high point owner club; we like to vacation other places too much.)

I wouldn't think it a terrible thing to have one set of perks for those with under 100 points, another set for owners with 100 - 500, and a third set for owners with more than 500 points (or more than 1000, or whatever they set.) That said, I don't really want to see something that specifically discriminates against resale buyers, although I guess I can see somehow penalizing (or at least not rewarding) people who own fewer points than the minimum buy in from Disney.

(me) (DH) (DS 9) (DD 3) (4 cats)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #54
starbox
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island. " - Walt Disney

I'm sorry, I know this is a serious conversation but ....

"Member Treasures"?

I'm sorry - it just sounds like the title of a DVC "adult video".

Please no.

• I wish I could live inside the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.
  • "Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a hang what the Joneses do. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought" - Walt Disney
starbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #55
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc_john View Post

We certainly have to wait to see what, if anything, comes of this. But I don't think some perks that DO NOT detract from other members ownership would be so bad. I definitely do not think they should (or will) have different booking windows for this group of members. But when you compare a 1000 point owner (paying $5000+ yearly maintenance fees) with a 25 point owner (paying $125 yearly maintenance fees), what would be so terrible about a free cookie and glass of punch at a social hour?
I do not get the "xxx paid 10x more in MF than YYY" so their entitled to something? XXX gets a 10x better, bigger and/or longer stay! That is quite sufficient!

I certainly would not cry over lost cookies, though.

Not all large points owners are extra low maintaince. someone with 5x points may just do 5 stays, and incur 5x the MS calls and 5x mousekeeping costs.
If DVC wants to reward an efficient behavior, tell us that behavior and reward us for doing so. If all e-mail reservations are cheaper than calls, then give us all an e-mail reservation credit or check-in gift.

If large points buyers should get more sales incentives, then give them more sales incentives. don't feel guilty after you suckered 'em in.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #56
Brian Noble

Most other developers don't use these programs to reward just any old purchasers. Most reward only retail purchasers. They are used to encourage current owners to upgrade their holdings. Such sales are much lower in marketing costs, and represent significantly better profit for the developer.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #57
wendyinoc
Mouseketeer

Clubs are always good ideas. I am a Diamond member on Royal Caribbean and I am loyal because of it. I hope its not to punish resale. I bought resale but will buy more points direct in the future. Perks are Perks. It should be by how many points you have. If you are over 500 you deserve to be in a special club. Hey Club 500 sounds good. Gives me a goal to make

wendyinoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #58
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
Most other developers don't use these programs to reward just any old purchasers. Most reward only retail purchasers. They are used to encourage current owners to upgrade their holdings. Such sales are much lower in marketing costs, and represent significantly better profit for the developer.
R-i-g-h-t ... so shouldn't we be considering the impact this will have on future resale prices?
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #59
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbox View Post
"Member Treasures"?

I'm sorry - it just sounds like the title of a DVC "adult video".

Please no.
What do you expect from a company who just named their newest resort after a sandwich?!

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #60
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Hmmm, I picture a little card that allows the holder to get into the viewing deck at BLT while the rest of the DVC masses are standing in the hallway, entrance denied.

Since the smaller contracts are only availble through resale (for those who don't already own) it sounds like it could be a way of damping down the resale market. The DVC salespeople will be able to hold up this new status as a perk by buying direct. WDYT???
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: