DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 11:48 AM   #31
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

I was talking to my husband last night about this elite status given to members with large number of points. Like give them a month earlier to make reservations - 12 months for home resort, 8 months for non-home resorts. Then this would just open the door to those commercial renters.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #32
nuts
Lover of Disney, Family Guy, and all around good person

Folks, I seriously doubt Disney can and would change our booking process to give some folks a head start. I suspect they will provide other awards. Its amazing how excited we all get with little to no information.

nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #33
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts View Post
Folks, I seriously doubt Disney can and would change our booking process to give some folks a head start. I suspect they will provide other awards. Its amazing how excited we all get with little to no information.
Well, DVC changed the booking dates from check out date to check in date. They changed banking deadlines to 100% at 8 months. Why not change the reservation advantage?

I think anything they offer to elite DVC members would to be cost free to DVC, so banking deadlines, booking deadlines, fastpasses, etc. are the first that come to my mind.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #34
Mom B
DIS Veteran

"The "everyone is equal" factor is one of the things we liked about DVC. It makes me a little sad that DVC is considering this route. I'd hate to think that everyone with less than X number of points might be viewed as less than first class member/owners."

Yes, exactly!

And wouldn't it be nice if the members using the perks of their 'elite' status would then keep their rooms cleaner, the hallways free of garbage, and treat the cast members nicer than those without that status? Maybe DVC should give 'rewards' based on the merits of being good DVC citizens rather than financial status??? So everyone would have an equal chance!

Sure, I'm dreaming...that wouldn't encourage anyone to spend more money buying points, now, would it?
PO 11/92, WL 10/97, OKW/VB 1/99, ASMo/OKW/Royal Mansions 10/02, BWV 1/04, SSR/BWV 1/06, OKW/VB 1/07, SSR 1/09, VB/AKV/SSR 1/10, VB/OKW 1/11, VB/AKV 1/12, VB/First Members Cruise on the Disney Dream/AKV 1/13, BLT 9/13, 40th Anniversary OKW 1/14, VB/AKV/VB Family Reunion Trip 10/14 - The best is yet to come!

10/2004 DVC members Vero Beach 5/2008 DVC members Old Key West 1/09 DVC members Animal Kingdom Kidani
Mom B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #35
marcybear
Mouseketeer

We need to remember that nothing is being done at this point and Disney is not promoting the "elite" designation. Let's wait and see what transpires in the future.
marcybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #36
Scott H
First to Magically cross from Kingdom to Kingdom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcybear View Post
We need to remember that nothing is being done at this point and Disney is not promoting the "elite" designation. Let's wait and see what transpires in the future.
Here Here, I concur. The term "elite" was used by the Original Poster not DVC as he so posted. "(the word 'elite' is mine, not theirs)." Thanks to DVC John for posting as he did.

I admit I am not one to push a referral, but will talk freely about my satisfaction with my DVC. Sure some folks have become members from talking to me, and living in a State where no incentive/reward is available I give frank and honest input, and let folks know I get nadda .

While DVC is great for Lynn and I it is not for everybody. And Yes, I have drunk the Kool-Aid, but I like the flavor.
If we couldn't laugh we would all just go insane. The only difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude. Donít dream your life, Live your dream! Paradise is not a place but a state of Mind
KEWL!!!
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #37
Caskbill
DVC-Operations
DVC-Planning
DVC-Mousecellaneous
DVC Rent/Trade

DIS Tech Support

DISboards Moderator

When we first purchased DVC, it was marketed as 'special'. Over the years it became less and less special.

I for one think that certain member perks should only be extended to those who have a specific number of points: Mainly, the minimum purchase directly from DVC.

There are people out there who purchased a 25 point contract strictly for the perks. Getting a $100 discount on AP's for everyone in the household would pay for a 25-point resale contract pretty quickly.

Do the dues on a 25 point contract even cover the costs of maintaining that contract? That's maybe $100 a year. How much does it cost to publish and mail the yearly Planner book, or the quarterly magazine. How much to just enter everything into the system and maintain it? That doesn't leave much to cover their share of the true maintenance costs of running the resorts.

I don't think requiring the minimum purchase in order to get perks is a bad thing. It's not elitist at all...A word used by posters in this thread, not by Disney, BTW.

And if they decide to extend some additional perks to members who own more points, so be it. While I do not agree with changing booking windows, there are certainly other things they could do: Member lounges, larger dining discounts, free or discounted activities such as boat rental, etc. Maybe getting some generic fast passes for their stays. Free internet. Things like that.

The classification could be simple: Full Member or not. A Full Member owns 160 points or more. Less than that and you don't qualify for the Full Member perks.

If they want additional tiers, fine.

Caskbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #38
disney1474
DIS Veteran

Let's see what they have in store first before we jump to any conclusions. I would hope every member, regardless of how many points they own, will be entitled to some of the benefits . I would think people with 100 pts. wouldn't get the same amount of benefits as someone with 500 pts. It seems this would be fair. Just another way for Disney to make you buy more points (the perks will have to be really good for me to buy more )

DVC MEMBERS AT AKV SINCE MAY 2007
disney1474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #39
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Disney recently allowed buy-ins of 100 points. Those buyers should be considered "Full members." I understand what you are saying about the owners of only 25 points. I still feel "special" owning and staying in DVC villas, I feel very lucky. I do not want to be a salesperson for DVC and in fact, I do routinely throw out those flyers that encourage me to sell to friends. I have a DF who went to a presentation and gave my name on her own. She's on their list now and gets all sorts of mail, including most that we get as members, usually a little later than we do.

It's things like this that I remember when I fill out surveys that ask " Is WDW where dreams come true." I always reply "no" and wish to write in that it's a business, but I do like and use its product.

Bobbi
Old 12-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #40
drusba

DIS Veteran

As to booking windows:

1. Every member at a resort must have the same home resort advantage. They cannot allow some owners at a resort to book, for example, 11 months out, and then have other owners at the same resort allowed to book only beginning 10 months out.

2. They can change the total booking windows, e.g., they could make it 10 months rather than 11. They can also change the length of the home resort advantage to any number of months but no less than 1, e.g., they could allow owners to book at 11 months and non-owners at 10. They are unlikely to do either because current sytem works.

3. They can suspend the home resort booking advantage if they set up a special season booking window. They actually had that back in the 90s for Christmas season where everyone could get on a list for Christmas up to 2 years out for choice of WDW resorts (only OKW and BWV at the time), regardless of which one they owned, and then about a year out they started calling people on the list in order of getting on it who then had to promptly decide to either take the reservation they requested or give it up, and they would go through the list that way until capacity was reached. I believe they probably ceased doing that special season because it was just too much of a hassle for MS.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #41
Scott H
First to Magically cross from Kingdom to Kingdom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
Disney recently allowed buy-ins of 100 points. Those buyers should be considered "Full members." I understand what you are saying about the owners of only 25 points. I still feel "special" owning and staying in DVC villas, I feel very lucky. I do not want to be a salesperson for DVC and in fact, I do routinely throw out those flyers that encourage me to sell to friends. I have a DF who went to a presentation and gave my name on her own. She's on their list now and gets all sorts of mail, including most that we get as members, usually a little later than we do.

It's things like this that I remember when I fill out surveys that ask " Is WDW where dreams come true." I always reply "no" and wish to write in that it's a business, but I do like and use its product.

Bobbi
It would be nice if we could opt not to get the referral mailers, don't want them and don't use them.
If we couldn't laugh we would all just go insane. The only difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude. Donít dream your life, Live your dream! Paradise is not a place but a state of Mind
KEWL!!!
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #42
Fatalbie
Mouseketeer

I see the logic behind what they are doing, if they do, and as long as it doesn't impact our basic rights as members, we really can't complain. The perks we get are not just to keep us happy because Disney has an altruistic view on life. You get what they think you need to keep the $$ flowing in their direction. It's a business and if they create an elite club that generates revenue, can you blame them. You want the perks, pay the price to enjoy them. Otherwise enjoy the perks you get for the price you pay now. They are, and have been, subject to change on a moments notice.

When the perks we get now, get shifted to an elite club, and those shifts violate our POS, we have the standing to complain.
Just my $.02
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1342900&page=5
Fatalbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #43
DIZZNY
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg345 View Post
I think you only receive the survey if you own X Points or have X Referrals. (ie: If you qualify).

We have quite a few points but didn't get any survey. We have never done a referral, though.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #44
Geezer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I REALLY HATE the idea of an elitist attitude with DVC!!!!! Now, if they limited it to all members who had the minimum contract it wouldn't bother me too much, since I'm one of those who think the minimum contracts shouldn't change either. I don't understand how they can bounce around the minimum from 230 to 150, to 160, to 100...ARGH!!! Just make a limit for complete membership and be done with it!

I suspect the high number of resales of 25-50 point contracts might actually be driving this boat. I think it's why they are again raising the minimum purchase at BLT. If they don't want people to be members with just 25 points, than make THAT the rule, not all this other "Mickey Mouse" stuff!
That's right. If there were no allowed memberships below the minimum required by Disney, they wouldn't need to have any "elite" club.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #45
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Well, DVC changed the booking dates from check out date to check in date. They changed banking deadlines to 100% at 8 months. Why not change the reservation advantage?

I think anything they offer to elite DVC members would to be cost free to DVC, so banking deadlines, booking deadlines, fastpasses, etc. are the first that come to my mind.
Add to that list, location requests, I have feeling that would be at the top of the "elite" list.

As to referrals, when DVC starts listening to my complaints and from other members and actually taking action; I will be glad to sell their product, until then they can sell it themselves.

Last edited by Sammie; 12-03-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: