DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 AM   #16
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Sounds like the rest of us will be in the "Left out in the cold" club. Sounds like a pretty snooty idea to me.

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #17
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

The larger DVC gets, the more they start acting like a "regular" timeshare developer.

Wyndham, Bluegreen, and Diamond/Sunterra all do similar things. The good news? In the existing systems, none of these "elite benefits" are actually worth much.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #18
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
The larger DVC gets, the more they start acting like a "regular" timeshare developer.

Wyndham, Bluegreen, and Diamond/Sunterra all do similar things. The good news? In the existing systems, none of these "elite benefits" are actually worth much.
Well, people aren't paying the Disney dollars for those timeshares either.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #19
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Yes, they are---if they are buying from the developer. And, with Wyndham and Diamond, that's the only way to "qualify".

Enough points for a Peak 2BR week at Bonnet Creek from the developer will set you back at least $28,000, and that's only if you are an excellent negotiator. Most people are paying closer to $33K.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #20
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriff75 View Post
This concerns me. One of the things I really like about DVC is that they treat all members equally. It doesn't matter if you bought resale, it doesn't matter that you only own 25 points, every member gets the same perks, and the use of there membership. In many other timeshare points programs they have different levels of membership. If you only buy a few points, or buy resale, you become second class citizens, not entitled to the same benefits as the VIP owners.
I totally agree! I purchased direct from Disney (3 times) and ahve referred several other people who purchased, but I'm quite sure I wont qualify for any of those "exclusive" clubs.

I REALLY HATE the idea of an elitist attitude with DVC!!!!! Now, if they limited it to all members who had the minimum contract it wouldn't bother me too much, since I'm one of those who think the minimum contracts shouldn't change either. I don't understand how they can bounce around the minimum from 230 to 150, to 160, to 100...ARGH!!! Just make a limit for complete membership and be done with it!

I suspect the high number of resales of 25-50 point contracts might actually be driving this boat. I think it's why they are again raising the minimum purchase at BLT. If they don't want people to be members with just 25 points, than make THAT the rule, not all this other "Mickey Mouse" stuff!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #21
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

I hope DVC doesn't do it, but if so, well that's something I won't qualify for.

Bobbi

bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #22
Camping Cat
It looked like A Small World gone mad
I'm sweet and nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
That was my thought too. I can only afford a small number of points and thought it was pretty nice that I still got to be a 'real' member. I wonder what the perks will be? Will members get extra early booking days? Preferred rooms? Those kinds of things would bother me as then I would feel like a not as cherished member. If it's stuff like a special reception, or extra goodies or a Club members only event, then OK..they paid for it. I don't want my basic membership standards to be diluted though.
I actually like the Club 91 name..the closest thing to Club 33.
This really concerns me. I don't know what Disney's reasons for this are but it seems to me that if it is going to favor those with lots of points that it might actually be rewarding the "professional renters" out there. They have LOTS of points and how is Disney going to distinguish between the legitimate members who happen to have a lot of points and those who rent their many points for profit?

I don't like this at all! It makes me feel that the rest of us aren't important to Disney....that my paltry 160 points make me a scond class member or as we've always referred to it, the red-headed stepchild.

Jan B.
aka Praline (cuz I'm sweet and nuts)

Camping Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:52 AM   #23
DVC Grammy
DVC AKV Concierge =

DVC Veteran

Hey, if I wanted to be really "elite", I would've bought into the Four Seasons (if I could've afforded it.. ).
Maybe it should be named the "ELEVEN Seasons Club", after the 11 DVC properties.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #24
JCW
It's Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Cat View Post
This really concerns me. I don't know what Disney's reasons for this are but it seems to me that if it is going to favor those with lots of points that it might actually be rewarding the "professional renters" out there. They have LOTS of points and how is Disney going to distinguish between the legitimate members who happen to have a lot of points and those who rent their many points for profit? :
I was thinking the same thing. This could actually encourage people to buy more points for the sake of getting the 'elite' perks and then just rent the points they don't need (assuming members could afford to do this). Now, they would be making $ on the rental AND getting the perks of the club.

I don't like this either. I think the draw of Disney and DVC is that everyone, whether DVC guests, Deluxe resort guests or Value resort guests are all treated the same.

JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #25
DisneyAngel12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW View Post
I was thinking the same thing. This could actually encourage people to buy more points for the sake of getting the 'elite' perks and then just rent the points they don't need (assuming members could afford to do this). Now, they would be making $ on the rental AND getting the perks of the club.

I don't like this either. I think the draw of Disney and DVC is that everyone, whether DVC guests, Deluxe resort guests or Value resort guests are all treated the same.

This just plain sucks!!!

Disney Angel
Guardian Angel over all things Disney
SSR DVC

Have a Disney Day!
DisneyAngel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #26
ead79
Disney Bride!
Wants the perfect pancake pan
Really likes a lot of NSYNC's songs
I hope my new job isn't like the movie "Office Space"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
That was my thought too. I can only afford a small number of points and thought it was pretty nice that I still got to be a 'real' member. I wonder what the perks will be? Will members get extra early booking days? Preferred rooms? Those kinds of things would bother me as then I would feel like a not as cherished member. If it's stuff like a special reception, or extra goodies or a Club members only event, then OK..they paid for it. I don't want my basic membership standards to be diluted though.
I actually like the Club 91 name..the closest thing to Club 33.
I agree with you. I wouldn't want my membership diluted (and I'm thinking a lot of people might sell if they didn't have an equal chance of getting those hard to get units), but I wouldn't mind if they gave the high point owners a reception or goodie basket or special event.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #27
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW View Post
Bingo....we have a winner!

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #28
Barb
A DIS Original!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriff75 View Post
This concerns me. One of the things I really like about DVC is that they treat all members equally. It doesn't matter if you bought resale, it doesn't matter that you only own 25 points, every member gets the same perks, and the use of there membership. In many other timeshare points programs they have different levels of membership. If you only buy a few points, or buy resale, you become second class citizens, not entitled to the same benefits as the VIP owners.

Ugh. My thoughts exactly. This idea leaves a really sour taste in my mouth. The term "elite" denotes a hierachy of sorts and that doesn't sit well at all.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #29
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
Ugh. My thoughts exactly. This idea leaves a really sour taste in my mouth. The term "elite" denotes a hierachy of sorts and that doesn't sit well at all.
It may be a bitter pill -- but it isn't an unfamiliar one. We all deal with loyalty programs in various consumer markets.
  • I fly American Airlines ... seeking to maintain my Frequent Flyer status ... so I can take advantage of early boarding, access to exit row seating, and now to check bags w/out fee.
  • I am more likely to do grocery shopping at Ralph's than at Vons because my "Club Card" number is easier to remember and I hate paying the "non-Club" prices! And the number of Club Cards continues to grow: shoe store chains, pet care chains, greeting card chains, novelty food centers, etc. My wallet is full of these silly cards!
  • Before DVC, we recognized that Disney tracked our annual visits in how they greeted my husband at Check-in. The staff always seemed to squeeze in some reference like, "Thank you for the XX visits since 1996." It wasn't any huge mystery why we received rooms in better locations as the years accumulated.
  • As an IBM Business Partner, my company receives perks based on volume of direct/indirect sales, number of IBM certified employees, etc.
  • My choice of Credit Card is driven by the card issuer's reward program.
Loyalty measurements surround us from every direction! If you can't fight it ... pick your favorites and play along ...
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #30
DisFlan
DIS Veteran

The "everyone is equal" factor is one of the things we liked about DVC. It makes me a little sad that DVC is considering this route. I'd hate to think that everyone with less than X number of points might be viewed as less than first class member/owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
It may be a bitter pill -- but it isn't an unfamiliar one. We all deal with loyalty programs in various consumer markets.[list][*]I fly American Airlines ... seeking to maintain my Frequent Flyer status ... so I can take advantage of early boarding, access to exit row seating, and now to check bags w/out fee.
So should "loyalty" based on point ownership open the door for "coach class" and "first class" DVC membership?

DisFlan

SSR 9/25/09 - 10/02/09

Last edited by DisFlan; 12-03-2008 at 11:33 AM.
DisFlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: