DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #136
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurabearz View Post
If someone rents from a big time renter, will they now have access to something most members dont, mearly because the person they rented from owns (X) number of points?
99% of this thread is pure speculation but I have to believe DVC would guard against that. They certainly know that chronic renters are high point owners.

They could easily create some sort of unique member ID (different from the blue card) which must be presented to access certain perks.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #137
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
...They could easily create some sort of unique member ID (different from the blue card) which must be presented to access certain perks.
But if DVC has this capability, why haven't they instituted it previously instead of putting DVC member on each and every room ID where points are used? I think they just choose not to. We've always heard they want to treat all the guests at DVC resorts like members (so they get more purchasers); so now they can treat some DVC members better than other DVC members?

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #138
Sammie
DIS Veteran

If I felt this was in fact a way to reward DVC big spenders, then I would have no problem with it, even if I am not part of the "club" as long as it does not diminish the product that I bought.

However based on the recent mindset of the DVC upper management, I have to believe that instead of it being a reward to the members, it will be a marketing ploy for sales.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #139
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
But if DVC has this capability, why haven't they instituted it previously instead of putting DVC member on each and every room ID where points are used? I think they just choose not to. We've always heard they want to treat all the guests at DVC resorts like members (so they get more purchasers); so now they can treat some DVC members better than other DVC members?
I guess it depends upon one's perspective.

Treating certain groups of guests at Disney different than others is nothing new. DVC members receive a lot of perks that are not extended to non-members. Guests staying at Disney resorts get perks that those staying off-site do not receive. Florida residents get perks. Annual Passholders get perks.

So I don't view this a fundamentally being outside of anything Disney has done in the past. They reward guests who choose to spend their money in a certain fashion. In this case the reward appears to be going to those who spend upward of $100,000 for their points (and $4-5k per year in dues) as opposed to someone who spent $15,000 and $600 per year.

Personally I don't see this as any different that airline "medallion clubs" or rental car express lanes.

When I travel with someone in one of these airline clubs, we're on the same airplane and paid the same amount for our tickets (actually he may have gotten a discount and paid less.) But he gets access to an airport lounge and gets to board the plane before I do. Again, I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with that. The airline is rewarding its best customers.

In DVC's case, I'm sure they would love to capture more of our vacation dollars. With Hawaii and California coming on-line, HHI and Vero already available and trades thru RCI, they want folks to consider more DVC points rather than Marriott or Wyndham purchases for their non-theme park vacations.

As to the issue of who will get those perks, again this is just my opinion but I can see Disney limiting it to the member only.

I really don't know why they extend perks to non-members via the room key. According to the information from DVC, we members are supposed to TELL DVC when renters are using our points. Then the "DVC Member" notation is removed. But renters have no incentive to do so and if push came to shove, they'd probably just lie to get their "customers" the added perks. Besides, is Disney really losing if les Chef de France gets another customer at lunch time even if it costs them a 10% discount?

As the AP discount has shown, Disney isn't afraid to put additional restrictions on member perks. My sense is that they would take steps to limit access to this discount program to only deeded members. Again, just my opinion.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #140
drusba

DIS Veteran

The survey said: "Today you will be answering questions about a potential new Disney Vacation Club program. This program would be available to a select group of Members who qualified by reaching a certain threshold through their own purchases and by referring friends and family. The program would give this qualified group of Members access to additional and/or highly sought after benefits."

First, I want to say that not everyone with a lot of points got this survey. Second, I doubt there will be any perks that are going to cost members as a whole anything -- think about it, what perks do we have now that cost the members as a whole extra, they are mainly things consisting of some discounts where members are not funding the difference between regular and discount price. Third, I particularly note the reference to "additional and/OR highly sought after benefits" and I doubt the "highly sought after" are anywhere high on the list of potentials. This is Disney and when it comes to extras, you are more likely to see things like:

1. A plaque with your name on it buried somewhere on a part of Disney property where no one ever goes and you cannot find.

2. $5 off a $70 bottle of wine at a Disney restaurant that you could purchase in a wine store for $25.

3. Fast Passes to the Treehouse.

4. A gold colored room key. It won't get you anything extra but it is a souvenir that's yours for a lifetime.

5. A t-shirt that says you are Club (whatever name is chosen) DVC member that you can buy for the special one-time discounted price of $65.

6. Another tote bag for only $15.

7. Your room will be guaranteed to be ready by 5.

8. An extra recording you will have to go through on the phone to get to a special MS employee that deals with the Elite Club members who just happens to be the same MS employee that you would have reached if you hadn't taken the time to wait through the extra recording.

9. The ability to have your family photo taken for $20 and put in a cardboard holder that says Elite Club member.

10. An Elite Club member cruise that will cost only double the points of the usual cruise .
Old 12-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #141
DVC Grammy
DVC AKV Concierge =

DVC Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusba View Post
The survey said: "Today you will be answering questions about a potential new Disney Vacation Club program. This program would be available to a select group of Members who qualified by reaching a certain threshold through their own purchases and by referring friends and family. The program would give this qualified group of Members access to additional and/or highly sought after benefits.................................
I also think that those perks will be something "minor" like a pin, a small discount, etc. (maybe a secret hand shake ). I can't imagine that Disney would risk a sought after biggie like Free Dining. That caliber of goody would make many folks !
Old 12-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #142
jarestel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusba View Post
First, I want to say that not everyone with a lot of points got this survey. Second, I doubt there will be any perks that are going to cost members as a whole anything -- think about it, what perks do we have now that cost the members as a whole extra, they are mainly things consisting of some discounts where members are not funding the difference between regular and discount price. Third, I particularly note the reference to "additional and/OR highly sought after benefits" and I doubt the "highly sought after" are anywhere high on the list of potentials. This is Disney and when it comes to extras, you are more likely to see things like:

1. A plaque with your name on it buried somewhere on a part of Disney property where no one ever goes and you cannot find.

2. $5 off a $70 bottle of wine at a Disney restaurant that you could purchase in a wine store for $25.

3. Fast Passes to the Treehouse.

4. A gold colored room key. It won't get you anything extra but it is a souvenir that's yours for a lifetime.

5. A t-shirt that says you are Club (whatever name is chosen) DVC member that you can buy for the special one-time discounted price of $65.

6. Another tote bag for only $15.

7. Your room will be guaranteed to be ready by 5.

8. An extra recording you will have to go through on the phone to get to a special MS employee that deals with the Elite Club members who just happens to be the same MS employee that you would have reached if you hadn't taken the time to wait through the extra recording.

9. The ability to have your family photo taken for $20 and put in a cardboard holder that says Elite Club member.

10. An Elite Club member cruise that will cost only double the points of the usual cruise .
You definitely have been studying the Disney Company for a while. Great post!
jarestel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #143
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurabearz View Post
If someone rents from a big time renter, will they now have access to something most members dont, mearly because the person they rented from owns (X) number of points?
IF DVC were to come up with a VIP program that gave some access to reservations that others didn't, likely so in spite of what some would like to believe. Still, nothing would be expected to take priority over 11 month home bookings so it's likely a moot point.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #144
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Any chance this will be the determing factor to the special areas at BLT that will be limited. I can definitely see that happening. A DVC elite club lounge with fireworks viewing.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #145
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Any chance this will be the determing factor to the special areas at BLT that will be limited. I can definitely see that happening. A DVC elite club lounge with fireworks viewing.
This would be hard to swallow.
Bobbi
Old 12-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #146
gingermouse17

Dreaming of Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildernessDad View Post
It could be that DVC is floating a trial balloon to see how members react to the idea and what they say. They are probably reviewing what we are discussing here about it.
I agree 100% By reading this thread now they have the ideas of the type of perks they can get away with, and given ideas on how to weed out the renters and resale purchases.

gingermouse17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #147
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Nope, no survey. At my mere 224 pts., I doubt I would see any additional perks. I am happy, though, my MF's are reasonable and my DVC is paid off! That's perk enough for me!!

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:23 AM   #148
pycees312
DIS Veteran

if this new Tier is created things you may see are
the ability to use your points for tickets, dinning plans, disney gift cards and maybe even flight tickets etc....
i mentioned before (not sure if that were here or another message board) something like this may be underway... we shall see how this turns out.

Last edited by pycees312; 12-07-2008 at 12:29 AM.
pycees312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #149
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by pycees312 View Post
if this new Tier is created things you may see are
the ability to use your points for tickets, dinning plans, disney gift cards and maybe even flight tickets etc....
i mentioned before (not sure if that were here or another message board) something like this may be underway... we shall see how this turns out.
It would be against FL timeshare laws to use points for anything other than lodging. But, based on the number of points you own, they could give you Disney script to use towards tickets, dining, gift cards. But it would cost them money. I don't see them giving anything for free that is going to cost a bunch of money.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #150
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
It would be against FL timeshare laws to use points for anything other than lodging.
I'm not sure this is true. Other timeshare systems with Florida points-based resorts do allow some owners to use points for things other than lodging. It's usually a poor deal for the owner. Behind the scenes, the developer/management company rents out inventory backed by the relinquished points, and uses the proceeds to pay for the non-lodging option.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: