Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
jen_uk
Eurovision Nut !!

Question Old Key West

Has anyone stayed at Old Key West? I'm looking at options for next year and I quite like the look of OKW, would appreciate some opinions on it.

My dis buddy is Carolfoy
jen_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
JimC
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

We own and stay there. A brief summary of the resort -- condo style with a Caribbean influenced, Key West style Victorian theme). And what we like about it -- value of low points, dues and huge villas, laid back atmosphere and Olivia's (the on-site sit-down restaurant) particularly when eating outside, boat rentals for canals and DD lake and walking the resort and over to DD. Olivia's rivals Beaches and cream for great burgers and shakes. OKW has the best selection of DVC merchandise I have seen.
WDW - All Star Movies (Fantasia), Animal Kingdom Lodge (3), Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House-2, Kidani Village-6), Bay Lake Towers (8), Beach Club, Beach Club Villas (9), Boardwalk Villas, Contemporary (2), Caribbean Beach (Aruba-2, Jamaica-2), Coronado Springs (Casitas-3), Dixie Landings (Bayou), Disney Institute (Villas-3), Grand Floridian (Sago Cay), Old Key West (5), Polynesian (Figi), Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs (Carousel, Congress Park, Grandstand-2, Paddock, Springs, Treehouse Villas), Villas at Grand Floridian, Villas at Wilderness Lodge (5), Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Other (Cypress Harbour-6, Doubletree Castle, Renaissance WorldGate, Village [Royal Plaza, Pickett Suite])
DCL - Dream (2/11 4, 10/11 3, 2/12 4, 5/13 4, 5/14 4), Fantasy (11/13 Eastern, 10/14 Western), Magic (6/99 4, 5/05 Panama Canal, 9/08 5, 11/10 Eastern, 10/11 Western), Wonder (12/06 4, 9/09 4, 5/12 Alaska)
DL - Grand Californian (4), Villas Grand Californian (3), Marriott
Other DVC - Hilton Head, Vero Beach (6)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Thanks for this post - I really want to try OKW next year too!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
mikki.young
Knows Dreams do come true!

We also own there and I am typing this in the living area of the huge one bedroom apartment. The resort is laid back and relaxing. If you have a rental car you can park right outside your building. Disney transport to the parks is by bus and currently the bus stops are in great positions at the parks. There are several pools, some tennis courts (hard not clay) and a community hall. I like it a lot.

One difference in the stusios to other DVC properties - here there are two beds and not a bed and sleeper sofa. Depending how many are in your party this may be a plus or minus.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:51 AM   #5
Mr Stoat
Mouseketeer

Olivia's was the only restaurant we ate twice in on our 1st visit, it was that good! OKW was a deciding factor in our buying DVC. We loved the theming and the fact the place was so clean and friendly. We ended up buying in AKV off plans. I think next visit we may well spend a few days at OKW.
Mr Stoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:14 AM   #6
RNtheRN
Real men love Disney World

We stayed at OKW on our last trip in June. It was nice, we just happened to have a bad location. The resort is nice, but we like Saratoga Springs a little more. Perhaps its just that its where we bought into, the access to DTD and a little easier getting Disney Trasportation.
DVC Memeber since 2005
RNtheRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!
Just one more victim of a drive-by tag attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNtheRN View Post
We stayed at OKW on our last trip in June. It was nice, we just happened to have a bad location. The resort is nice, but we like Saratoga Springs a little more. Perhaps its just that its where we bought into, the access to DTD and a little easier getting Disney Trasportation.
We have booked a one bedroom for 5 nights at the beginning of our holiday next August. Can you tell me where the "bad" location was and does anyone have any pointers for good locations to request. We will have 2 small children with us and want to be near to the action. I think you can park near your apartment so I don't mind leaving strollers in the car so no worries about which floor in terms of stroller access...

Any advice gratefully received.

Mel
x
Melcatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
Revtel
Mouseketeer

We just came home, having stayed at OKW, VWL and BWV.

OKW was, by far, the best of the three for us. Huge accommodation, easy parking, warm pools, and a lovely atmosphere.

We have stayed there many times, and the problem can be with a ground floor rooms, where the shrubs at the back can get very overgrown. The best ever room we had was on the top floor of building 62, with a wonderful view over the lake.

Ask for somewhere near the hospitality house, water view, high floor, with an elevator. If you get all that, you will have a great time!
Revtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
jjpenguin
A penguin with mouse ears & wooden shoes?
I'm going to sulk!!

OKW is our home too. We just love the feel of the resort and the size of the rooms. It's really like having your own appartment.
July 1974 Offsite * Feb 1997 Offsite * Feb 1998 Offsite * Feb 1999 Offsite * Feb 2000 POFQ and Disney Wonder * March 2001 DLP Sequoia Lodge * Nov 2001 1st DVC trip VWL + OKW * March 2003 BWV + AKL Concierge * May 2004 HH + BCV for Star Wars Weekends * Nov 2004 OKW solo trip * Feb 2005 Disneyland * Sept 2005 DVC Member Cruise & Vero Beach * May 2006 Star Wars Weekends again, at BWV * Sept 2006 2nd Solo trip at ASMu and SSR * May 2007 Using up our AP at OKW - Pirates of the Caribbean Adventure on the 7 Seas Lagoon * Sept 2007 Very last minute quick fix solo trip at SSR! * Sept 2008 - DH and me at SSR

jjpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
Jets fan
DIS Veteran

OKW is our home too and I love it there. Our fav building is 46 as it overlooks the waterway and is near a quiet pool. In my opinion there's only one thing that lets OKW down and that's the lack of fast food as unlike most other Disney properties OKW has one small booth for fast food and Olivia's, which is sit down.

I love it there.
Jets fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
jen_uk
Eurovision Nut !!

It sounds great, definitely considering trying to book there

My dis buddy is Carolfoy
jen_uk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: