Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
irisesareblue
irisesareblue

Security and other questions

I am thinking of taking my two (older) daughters with me to Disney World for a week's camping trip. I am thinking that camping on property is the only affordable way for us.

However, I have a few questions which you seasoned campers might be able to help me with.

I know that security at Disney is second to none and I feel comfortable taking my daughters to stay onsite by myself, however, how would one lock a tent when you leave during the day to go to the parks?

Silly question I know but I thought I would ask....
Disneyland May, 2007 & June, 2008 / Disney World -November, 2008 (off-site) / MVMCP post-cruise Nov. 13 2009 / January, 2010 (Regal Sun Resort) / June, 2010 (off-site villa in Davenport) / August, 2010 (off site in Crescent Lakes) / November 2010 (long weekend in Crescent Lakes) / January 2011 (Clarion Maingate) / Short weekend - January 2011 (Holiday Inn Sunspree) / Easter weekend 2011 (Westridge) / May 2011 (Crescent Lakes) / Anniversary weekend-June 2011 (on-site at POP CENTURY) / Birthday weekend-Sept 2011 (off-site in Highlands Reserve) / Nov, 2011 (off-site in Westrige) / Feb, 2012 Vow renewal with Wishes fireworks cruise (off-site in Westridge) /April, 2012 (off-site in Orange Tree) / September, 2012 (off-site at Renaissance Seaworld) / November, 2012 (off-site at Solana Resort) / January, 2013 (off-site at Solana Resort) / Easter, 2013 (off-site in Davenport) / upcoming for September 2013 & a DCL cruise!!!!

I am truly blessed and pixie-dusted
irisesareblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisesareblue View Post
I am thinking of taking my two (older) daughters with me to Disney World for a week's camping trip. I am thinking that camping on property is the only affordable way for us.

However, I have a few questions which you seasoned campers might be able to help me with.

I know that security at Disney is second to none and I feel comfortable taking my daughters to stay onsite by myself, however, how would one lock a tent when you leave during the day to go to the parks?

Silly question I know but I thought I would ask....
I wouldn't worry about locking the actual tent, but it can be done by putting a small lock through the zipper pulls where they meet. (Most tents have a dual zipper that meets in the middle).

What I would do and have done is bring a locking footlocker and lock up anything that you would not want messed with, and for even further security, lock the footlocker to a tree with a cable. If you are bringing your car, you can lock things in your vehicle.

I have never heard of general camping stuff being bothered while you are at the parks (bedding, tents, clothing, chairs, lanterns, etc.) I have heard of the occasional cooler being swiped or pilfered from, (mostly kids looking for beer).

The very valuable stuff such as money, tickets, cameras, cell phones, etc., you'll have on your person at the parks anyway.

There are also lockboxes available at the front checkin building.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
njcamper95
Mouseketeer

Also there is a security person who drives around to keep an eye on things
we have a tt so we are able to lock things a little better but we leave our grill and chairs outside at all times plus we have left a cooler outside by our trailer and never had a problem in the many trips we have made unless there has been a problem recently when we went in oct 08 we were there for 15 days and no one bothered my stuff but as mentioned i would leave anything of value in the car or at least out of sight if you leave it out in the open it just may temped someone and create a problem you know out of sight out of mind go enjoy and have fun i haven't heard of problems so you should be fine
Port Orleans
Poly

njcamper95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
julierocks
Mouseketeer

Is there a charge for the front desk lock box?
julierocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Free !!!

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
NADLV817
Earning My Ears

It is Disney...leave your worries behind!

Seriously as a long time camper I have never had any issues with tent security. But, it never hurts to use common sense and leave no valuables in the tent. Lock in your vehicle, trunck, etc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: