Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #46
kymom99
DIS Veteran

I'm with ya on the EMH at AK thing. I don't see the point. We went one night in June and it was so dark I couldn't believe it. If I had never been there before I doubt I could have found my way around. Also, there was very little open. We did Triceratops twice with my little grandson. My son and I did Primeval Whirl and went in the Boneyard. Then we did TTBAB and left. Don't think I would do that again!
kymom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #47
Echo queen
I like the idea of being close to the action
I had to buy another piece of luggage today and shoes and a floppy hat
The camping trip got a little hairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymom99 View Post
I'm with ya on the EMH at AK thing. I don't see the point. We went one night in June and it was so dark I couldn't believe it. If I had never been there before I doubt I could have found my way around. Also, there was very little open. We did Triceratops twice with my little grandson. My son and I did Primeval Whirl and went in the Boneyard. Then we did TTBAB and left. Don't think I would do that again!
I thought it would be neat to be at AK at night Thanks for the reality check

Echo queen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2008, 06:22 PM   #48
seadd67
DIS Veteran

Wow the smell thing would of been priceless,and If a 5yo can smell it you know its bad. Sorry to hear about you EMH night at AK,we love the nights there,it gives the park a whole diffrent look.Kali Is always empty at night there it seems?,we have done it twice and both times we have been able to do it multubile times.Restaurantosarus,we like it to we did nor go there last april but we always try to hit it once Sounds like your haveing a great time.
seadd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:01 PM   #49
mmmbop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMedix View Post
- I've been hit, and almost run over, by an ECV! one lady going against the flow at the splash mountain exit who claimed she couldn't see me...
I travel with family who are in ECVs... and not only is it inconvenient for people exiting, it's also inconvenient for those in ECVs. The exit is really dark (even when it's light out), plus you can't see past the corners!! So when people turn the corner too quickly, they wonder why an ECV is there, even if they're stopped, waiting for opposing traffic to stop. As long as we all get to ride though....

Just be careful when exiting Splash... you can't see people in ECVs around the corner any better than they can see you
Old 11-27-2008, 11:30 PM   #50
DanMedix
DIS Veteran

Now to answer a few questions, in no particular order..

- yes, my first dole whip / float was a beautiful experience.
- absolutely, we're having a blast. Like all of you, my worst day at WDW is better than my best day at home or at work.

Now, back to the action...

Thanksgiving morning. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.
Wake up call. It's Stitch and Mickey.
Light chuckle from me.
Feet on the floor, and out of the bed.
Quick tug on the curtains, brief look out the window...
...to see the mobs of folks waiting in bus lines, and going to their cars in what looks like a full parking lot.

grr

Pull curtains shut. Climb back into bed.

BEST. TURKEY. DAY. PLAN. EVER.

Of course, I can't sleep. We're at WDW, for pete's sake! So, we get up, and head to AK for a daytime experience.

AK wasn't as bad as I thought. Mind you, there are spots to keep in mind when crowds are a bit heavier:

- Pizzafari. Food's not bad, but the venue isn't really set up for large crowds to go through the line at any given time. Two CM's were trying their best to direct traffic, despite stOOpid guests walking right over them, like they didn't exist.

- remember that AK has narrow walkways, in order to simulate the actual areas that they represent. Thus, crowds appear worse than they are.

But, it wasn't bad. 1hr standby line at EE, but tolerable. Kali was fun, with almost no waiting. ITTBAB was packed. Dinosaur was almost a walk-on, and won an animal on the whack-a-dino.

After this, it was time for our ressies. We took the bus to TTC, then monorail to MK, to meet up with the in-laws.

Actually, MK wasn't as bad as I'd thought...but it was still jam-packed and jelly tight. Got good pix of the 2 castle shows while we waited, though. (the holiday castle lighting is quite cool)

CP's dinner had some nice selections. Now, here's where I'm weird. (ok ok ok I knew I was weird, and so did you guys...just nod your head, and play along...) I don't like turkey. I've been put off of turkey ever since I almost ate some rancid ground turkey one time. The smell was so intensely noxious that it put me off of eating turkey forever.

ANYWAYS, CP had nice beef loin, salmon, and lots of good veggie dishes like ratatouille (the dish, not the movie), mashed potatoes, and a very very good soup....that I swear that I WAS THE ONLY ONE EATING IT. It was a pumpkin and squash bisque. Yeah yeah, say EWWWW if you must, but I rather liked it. That and the coconut flan made the meal for me. Tigger, Pooh, Eeyore, and Piglet were present, and great with the kids. Piglet was very energetic, and almost out of character.

Afterwards, we came back to the resort, had a bit of fun in the arcade with the kiddos (who can't wait to get all jacked up on the candy that they won with their tickets from the arcade). At the moment, I'm trying to get them into bed....

....good luck with that one.....

Tomorrow, we're gonna have a split MK and Epcot day. I'm finished with trying to convince the in-laws that Epcot has more things than Soarin' and M:S. They can do whatever they want after our lunch ressies at Coral Reef.

Speaking of which, this trip will be the first for Coral Reef, and for Le Cellier, which we're doing on our last night here....albeit at 910PM. Oh well....

Thanks for taking this crazy mixed-up ride with me so far. Let's see how tomorrow pans out...

night-night
Day-Trip : EPCOT (10/92) / POFQ(7/94) / ASMu(11/01) / Day-Trip: Animal Kingdom (6/03) / CSR (11/04) / POP (10/07) / POP(11/08) THE STORY SO FAR: 2008 (with incomplete afterwards-link ) / POP(..yes, again!) 10/12 PTR HERE! / COMING SOON: POR (5&6/14)! Octonauts.....let's do this!
DanMedix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:22 AM   #51
PKWallaby
DIS Veteran

GREAT LIVE REPORT!!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your trip AS IT HAPPENS!

Love your style...have fun and enjoy every last minute, and I mean it! (I'm typing this as I debate which store I want to visit in a few hours...and all the while thinking I would MUCH rather be getting up in WDW than in WI where I am preparing myself to get up waaay too early, get in my cold car and freeze my way to some crowded store where I'll have to park miles away, walk thru the blasted cold only to discover the item I want is gone...grrr, give me mobs of WDW folks over Black Friday anyday...smells and all!)

Sounds like I'm talking myself out of this...

Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today, Hope for Tomorrow...
PKWallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:46 AM   #52
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:
Now to answer a few questions, in no particular order..

- yes, my first dole whip / float was a beautiful experience.
- absolutely, we're having a blast. Like all of you, my worst day at WDW is better than my best day at home or at work.

Now, back to the action...

Thanksgiving morning. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.
Wake up call. It's Stitch and Mickey.
Light chuckle from me.
Feet on the floor, and out of the bed.
Quick tug on the curtains, brief look out the window...
...to see the mobs of folks waiting in bus lines, and going to their cars in what looks like a full parking lot.

grr

Pull curtains shut. Climb back into bed.

BEST. TURKEY. DAY. PLAN. EVER.

Of course, I can't sleep. We're at WDW, for pete's sake! So, we get up, and head to AK for a daytime experience.

AK wasn't as bad as I thought. Mind you, there are spots to keep in mind when crowds are a bit heavier:

- Pizzafari. Food's not bad, but the venue isn't really set up for large crowds to go through the line at any given time. Two CM's were trying their best to direct traffic, despite stOOpid guests walking right over them, like they didn't exist.

- remember that AK has narrow walkways, in order to simulate the actual areas that they represent. Thus, crowds appear worse than they are.

But, it wasn't bad. 1hr standby line at EE, but tolerable. Kali was fun, with almost no waiting. ITTBAB was packed. Dinosaur was almost a walk-on, and won an animal on the whack-a-dino.

After this, it was time for our ressies. We took the bus to TTC, then monorail to MK, to meet up with the in-laws.

Actually, MK wasn't as bad as I'd thought...but it was still jam-packed and jelly tight. Got good pix of the 2 castle shows while we waited, though. (the holiday castle lighting is quite cool)

CP's dinner had some nice selections. Now, here's where I'm weird. (ok ok ok I knew I was weird, and so did you guys...just nod your head, and play along...) I don't like turkey. I've been put off of turkey ever since I almost ate some rancid ground turkey one time. The smell was so intensely noxious that it put me off of eating turkey forever.

ANYWAYS, CP had nice beef loin, salmon, and lots of good veggie dishes like ratatouille (the dish, not the movie), mashed potatoes, and a very very good soup....that I swear that I WAS THE ONLY ONE EATING IT. It was a pumpkin and squash bisque. Yeah yeah, say EWWWW if you must, but I rather liked it. That and the coconut flan made the meal for me. Tigger, Pooh, Eeyore, and Piglet were present, and great with the kids. Piglet was very energetic, and almost out of character.

Afterwards, we came back to the resort, had a bit of fun in the arcade with the kiddos (who can't wait to get all jacked up on the candy that they won with their tickets from the arcade). At the moment, I'm trying to get them into bed....

....good luck with that one.....

Tomorrow, we're gonna have a split MK and Epcot day. I'm finished with trying to convince the in-laws that Epcot has more things than Soarin' and M:S. They can do whatever they want after our lunch ressies at Coral Reef.

Speaking of which, this trip will be the first for Coral Reef, and for Le Cellier, which we're doing on our last night here....albeit at 910PM. Oh well....

Thanks for taking this crazy mixed-up ride with me so far. Let's see how tomorrow pans out...

night-night
Sounds like you had a great time! It sounds like not as many people visiting the world this holiday season. I was at DTD yesterday. Crowds were surprisingly light for a Thanksgiving.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #53
MouseGirl
DIS Veteran

Just LOVING your report - laughing all the way through. Glad to hear you survived Thanksgiving Day intact (and minus the turkey)!

Keep up the great work - can't wait to hear more,
MouseGirl
MouseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:04 AM   #54
Sneaky3
DVCMICKY!!!!!!

Hey guys I am here too. We went to Hollywood Studios around 11 and it wasn't so bad. I thought it was going to be worse. It got a little heavier at night but I assume it was for the lights. Today we still don't know what we are going to do....
Sneaky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:08 AM   #55
Texage74
Get ready for me love, cause I'm a "comer."

I'm really enjoying hearing your report. It makes my excitement over going in December that much more extravagant. You also have a really nice writing style, very humurous.

The Coral Reef is a rather nice restaurant, and I hate seafood.

Enjoy!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #56
MEGADAN
Nothing Beats Disney!

Been following your trip report. We are here too! We've been taking different paths but it seems like we can agree that the crowds and the weather have been cooperating. Biggest challenge this trip has been getting into TSM. We had to go twice to get the fastpasses, first day sold out at 11:55am but we go them the next day at 9:55am for a 3:40 ride. It was worth it!
We've been avoiding the crowds, so far so good.
Love your reports!

SSR-Thanksgiving 2011
WDW & Disney Dream August 2011
SSR-Nov 2010
GCV-July 2010 (1st Trip to Disneyland)
SSR-Thanksgiving 2009
BCV-Thanksgiving 2008
DCL-August 2008
OKW-May 2008
BCV-Oct 2007
SSA-May 2007
VWL- December 2006
BCV-October 2006
SSR-May 2006
BCV-October 2005
BCV-October 2004
MEGADAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #57
Luv4Disney
DIS Veteran

We're 8 days out and your report has gotten me very excited! Thanks so much!
Old 11-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #58
queenofthehill
Earning My Ears

Quote:
"OKAY, WHO KEEPS POOTIN'?"

GOtta love that raw honesty of innocent children!!!!!!!!! I totally bust out laughing just now. I've been in a horrible mood all day. Thank you so much for your report!!!!!

queenofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #59
kaybird
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo queen View Post
I thought it would be neat to be at AK at night Thanks for the reality check
Not to disagree, but we LOVE AK at night. The lights are very clever, EE is totally awesome in the dark, and dinoland is a hoot! Love the lights~ just a different experience!

OP~absolutely loving the reports! Thanks for making us a part of your trip!

kaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #60
tkitty
DIS Veteran

I believe in extreme planning,(thats just for me, I love that part) and then be willing to throw it out the winow at times, and just let the day happen.
Grew up near DL-Disneyland grad nite jr hi 1973-High school 1976 *1999 Land & Sea pkg - Contemporary/Disney*2005 First Disneyland trip with Grandson*2006 WDW Aug. POFQ*2008 Disneyland trip (first for granddaugter)*WDW-OKW & ASMu Oct 2009*Best DL trip ever May 2010* 1st MHP-DL! Oct 2011* OKW/POFQ Grandkids trip Oct 2012 * 1st DisDiva DL trip 2014!

tkitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: