Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #16
LittleBugsMama
Live like there's no tomorrow; Love extravaggantly!

Awesome report! 16 days away for us and these reports make me feel like I am going to explode!!!
LittleBugsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #17
SuperTink
Magic Memory Keeper

Hi Dan,

Keep posting!! I'd love to see how the crowds play out closer to the weekend. We'll be there in 4 days!!

Have a great time! :
Wilderness Lodge, April 2001

SuperTink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #18
DanMedix
DIS Veteran

Tuesday...

Before I begin tonight, there are many of you who are curious about the crowds. I'll start off like this:

I hate crowds.
I absolutely despise being in the middle of 18million stanky cranky people with no manners and no deodorant. (That's why last year's OCT trip was such a treat)

I'm following TGM's advice. I was hoping it would make a difference.

...as we say in the south... "IT AIN'T".

I'll put it this way. The crowds were larger and less manageable today (and today was supposed to be the least busy park!). More on this topic later on in this post...just stay tuned....

We did a full day at DHS...and went commando, at that. (for those that don't know, this means that we went without a break) We were walking off the bus right when they started to let people in the turnstiles. We headed directly to TSM. By the time we got there......

...there was a 60 minute standby wait....and an even longer line TO GET FASTPASSES!!! Makes absolutely no sense to me. Yes, we went in the standby line. Now, I liked the ride, don't get me wrong. But, it's seriously not worth the hassle of trying to fight rude crowds for over an hour...JUST TO GET A STINKING FASTPASS!!

Was able to do Star Tours again, which is now DS's favorite. Had to skip the Jedi Training Academy, due to the rain (which one particular CM seemed quite overjoyed about.. ) But oh well....After DD got her face painted, it was time for lunch at Pizza Planet. Wasn't bad there, and the food wasn't bad either.

During the line for pix with Lightning McQueen and Mater, the photographer.....just.....left. Didn't say anything, didn't close the line.....she just.....left. I grabbed my own pic of DD with Mater (her fave), and left.

DS did Jedi Training Academy when it ran later, got great pix. Then it was time for his own round of face painting....then more riding.....

....and noticing that the crowds (that started to briefly thin out during the little bit of rain) are starting to come back...

After a few rounds of RnRC and ToT, and chatting for a brief moment with one of the 'Streetmosphere' characters (who did bear a close resemblance so someone we all know (*COUGH*ADVENTURERSCLUB*COUGH*), I decided to do a futile check to see if any TS restaurants could fit us in. 50's couldn't, but Sci-Fi got us in at the tables in the back. Not bad food....and the milkshakes are on the DDP!

One more time to Endor, then it's back to POP for laundry.....and some seriously nice Captain's Mai Tai's at the pool bar! (definitely recommended)

NOW, on to the subject of the crowds.......
Things were worse today, admittedly. But, when I was heading back to the room with mugs and mai tai's, my jaw dropped.....

not one, not two...but THREE...yes...THREE MAGICAL EXPRESS BUSES dropping NEW people off at POP.

Looks like the largest of the crowds has just begun...

....Guess Who's Coming to (Thanksgiving) Dinner?.......

but oh well.....what can I do? (except report to you guys and gals)

Tomorrow we have breakfast ressies at Ohana, so I'll keep you posted tomorrow night. In the meantime, it's bedtime for me.

night all!
Day-Trip : EPCOT (10/92) / POFQ(7/94) / ASMu(11/01) / Day-Trip: Animal Kingdom (6/03) / CSR (11/04) / POP (10/07) / POP(11/08) THE STORY SO FAR: 2008 (with incomplete afterwards-link ) / POP(..yes, again!) 10/12 PTR HERE! / COMING SOON: POR (5&6/14)! Octonauts.....let's do this!
DanMedix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #19
moonpie85
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMedix View Post
We had a great CM at Splash Mountain, who let us ride a 2nd time with no wait, because the photo people deleted our picture. Probably because of my inlaws....

October 2011- Pop Adoption Celebration Trip
December 2013- Pop Holiday Palooza

Me DH DD3 Pommie Weenie

moonpie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #20
sah95
Mouseketeer

Great reviews! Can't wait for the next one!!
I agree with you about the stinky people. What is up with the b.o. at the happiest place on earth??? ha!ha!
sah95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:09 PM   #21
Scrubba2
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your updates!

Looking forward to hearing more!!

Have a great time! I wish I were there fighting the crowds too!!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:29 PM   #22
seadd67
DIS Veteran

Hay Dan thanks for the great,and I should say funny reports. I could hardly stay on the chair when you said you dislike crowds!,and your at Disney. Well your at Disney so it could be worse,cant wait to read more.
seadd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #23
SuperTink
Magic Memory Keeper

Thanks Dan

Trying to psyche myself out for when we arrive Saturday, which will most likely be the busies day of all.

Keep the reviews coming!!
Wilderness Lodge, April 2001

SuperTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #24
dhdozier
Happily Sharing Memories with my Family

Awesome reviews I will be there Friday fighting the crowds too
dhdozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #25
choirfarm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMedix View Post

I'm following TGM's advice. I was hoping it would make a difference.

We did a full day at DHS...and went commando, at that. (for those that don't know, this means that we went without a break) We were walking off the bus right when they started to let people in the turnstiles. We headed directly to TSM. By the time we got there......night all!
Ok, you are not really following TSM. He has a page devoted to TSM and we did it his way and rode it three times despite the 80 minute wait time we never waited more than 10 minutes. Your first mistake was not being at rope drop 2o to 30 minutes like he says.

I know people don't know but it makes a difference. We did exactly what he said on our AK day and we were at the front of the rope for rope drop and I could show you a picture with hundreds of people behind me waiting. You have to allow time and get there to be at the front of rope drop!!!

But sorry it has been more crowded.
choirfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #26
DanMedix
DIS Veteran

thanksgiving eve morning

Before I begin my "halftime report" for today, I wish to address some of you who are quick to critique my methods for this particular trip.

Yes, I have had no choice but to deviate somewhat from TGM's park plans. While we've done our best to stay true to the listed "least crowded parks", I've had to forego TourGuideMike, in favor of the whims of TourGuideIn-Laws and TourGuideWifeAndKids. I don't have to deal with Mikey on a daily basis. The other people, however.....Well, you know.
But, don't think for a moment that I haven't been trying the plans. Sometimes, real life won't allow for strict plans, and we have to go with the flow....especially when it means not having to sleep on the couch for a week when I get home......

But, I digress. Onto today's mayhem.....

This morning, we had breakfast at Ohana, with Lilo, Stitch, Mickey, and Pluto. It was very nice. The food was good, and the characters spent as much time as they could with us, although they were kinda rushed (not their fault, tho). The price was indeed better than CRT from last year, and the kids seemed to enjoy the characters a bit more. Yes, while they were a little rushed, they certainly weren't as rushed as the Princesses were last year. It also seemed like the characters really did want to come and say hello, and have fun with everyone. Great views from the Poly, and I got a few nice pix of the resort, even though I'd like to explore it a bit more. I totally want to stay there. On the monorail back, we passed the GF, where my DW said "I definitely want to stay there".

I totally agreed (and kept this in the back of my head for future trips.....teeheehee)

This morning wasn't too bad at MK. After doing POTC (yes, the hologram is still off-line), Jungle Cruise (with a pretty funny skipper whose name eludes me for the moment), driving the boats (..for $2..), Carpets of Aladdin, the Pirate Tutorial, Tiki Room (DS insisted), and having...my FIRST DOLE WHIP......we finally made it back to the room.

Today's crowds....not as bad as I expected. Still heavy, tho.

We may hit DTD for shopping later, or hit AK. (yep, outside of our original plans, I've pretty much abandoned TGM.) But...I'll tell ya about that when it happens......
Day-Trip : EPCOT (10/92) / POFQ(7/94) / ASMu(11/01) / Day-Trip: Animal Kingdom (6/03) / CSR (11/04) / POP (10/07) / POP(11/08) THE STORY SO FAR: 2008 (with incomplete afterwards-link ) / POP(..yes, again!) 10/12 PTR HERE! / COMING SOON: POR (5&6/14)! Octonauts.....let's do this!

Last edited by DanMedix; 11-26-2008 at 01:45 PM.
DanMedix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #27
dhdozier
Happily Sharing Memories with my Family

I hear you about not being able to follow a strict pre-scheduled plan! Going with the flow can allow you to move at a slower pace and really enjoy yourself Thanks for these reports - they are great!
dhdozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #28
Sleeping Becca
It went to Looneyland, by way of Crazytown, with a detour through Wackoville, and a stop for snacks in Bonkerscity

According to UG the crowd level all week is 7. So it looks like you should be experiencing less than summer crowds. We usually go in summer, so I'm really looking forward to the 4's and 5's for my trip!

I completely understand about the "family" factor when it comes to touring plans.

If I had to go to WDW (my happy place) with my in-laws, it would be a deal breaker! I'd rather lick my dog.

Hang in there!

And keep the reports coming, good stuff, very funny!

A Dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep

'79- Holiday Inn*'83-Viscount(Disney Village)*'90- Poly (Gold Key)*'94- Carribean Beach*'97- Summerfield Suites (Yes, I saw "the cake")*'98- Westgate*'01- All Star Movies*'03- Carribean Beach*'05- All Star Movies*'05- Homewood Suites-*07Disneyland Hotel-*08 MNSSHP Peabody-*08 MVMCP Pop Century-*09 Grand Floridian-*09 MNSSHP Contemporary-*10 All Star Movies-*-Boardwalk

Last edited by Sleeping Becca; 11-26-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Sleeping Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #29
catne
DIS Veteran

loving your trip report...you have a wonderfully entertaining writing style. And you sound like you're actually bearing up well amongst the crowds. Hope you're having a good time.

Your description of what happens when you trade TGM or UG for TG-in-laws & TGWife&Kids...well, that's why I don't go with extended family

Have a lovely holiday
January (twice) & February 2014 SSR December 2013 POFQ October 2013 Off-site, September 2013,POFQ March 2013 AoA Feb 2013 POFQ Feb 2013 POFQ Jan 2013 Caribbean Beach Nov 2012 POFQ Sept 2012 BC May 2012 POFQ Mar 2012 POFQ Feb 2012 POFQ JAN 2012 AKL Oct 2011 Wilderness Lodge Sep 2011 POFQ Feb 2011 Pop Century Jan 2011 Pop CenturyNov 2010 CSR Sept 2010 Boardwalk May 2010 POFQ Jan 2010 BCV 2009 Sept & 2009 May POFQ 2009 Jan Contempo 2008 Sept Pop 2008 May POFQ 2007 May Poly 2000 May FW Cabin 1992 May off site 1990 May off site
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #30
william4192
Mouseketeer

Waiting to here rest....
william4192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: