Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Belle1962
DIS Veteran

Gamefly---pros and cons

I am thinking of getting my son and grandson a subscription to gamefly for Christmas. I am tired of buying games they beat quickly or get tired of. And with grandson in an excelerated program he doesn't get anywhere near the game time he used to. My son is concerned that you are never able to get new releases until they are old releases.

Anyone belong? Can you tell me the pros/cons?

Are they good about shipping right away? Do you find yourself waiting for the "good titles" for awhile?

We have a Wii.
Belle1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Aunt Flancy
Mouseketeer

Do you have a Blockbuster nearby? They have a pay by the month game membership. We have one where you get two games at a time. You can keep them as long as you like (I think the longest we have had one is about 4 weeks) or if you get home and don't like it you can take it back and trade the same day. I thing for the 2 game membership it is about $35 a month. There is a membership for one game at a time also, I just don't know how much it costs. Our local Blockbuster is not good about getting the new releases on the shelf and sometimes we go in on release date and have to ask for it and they have to unpack the box for us. We like Blockbuster better because you don't have to wait for the mail.
Aunt Flancy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
pixiepower1971
DIS Veteran

We have had gamefly for quite awhile now. Shipping time is really pretty good now- it used to be very slow! Not as good as netflix but getting better all the time.

Brand new releases are hard to get. Sometimes you get lucky, other times you wait awhile.

My family feels it is worth the money.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

We had it for about a year but cancelled this month. Shipping was rediculous. It took about 2 weeks from the time we shipped them a game until we got our next one. Every once in awhile it was a bit quicker, but not too often.

5/05 Pop, 12/06 POFQ, 9/07 Pop, 9/08 All Star Movies, 4/09 CBR/AKV/Disney Wonder, 12/11 Pop, 11/13 All Star Music, 11/14 CSR
momto2inKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
solfan68
DIS Veteran

Our family has been using Gamefly now for a couple of months and we really like it. We feel we get a pretty good bang for the buck because we have a PS2, DS, and Wii/Gamecube. This means we can really load up our queue with a variety of games. Its also been keeping us from buying clunkers. After all, when a Wii game is upwards of fifty bucks a pop, I'd rather 'try before I buy'. And if we do decide to buy(we haven't yet) we can just choose the Keep It option.

CBR - 7/94 CBR - 7/96 CSR - 6/07 POR - 6/08 WL - 1/11 DCL - 8/12
solfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
donald&daisy
DIS Veteran

We tried it for a month for free and we really liked it. Shipping was fast and I love not having to drive anywhere to return it and no late fees. However, as law students it was too expensive for us to keep doing it, but I think it would be a great gift!
Offsite Spring Break '05 Offsite Spring Break '06 POR Chistmas '06 Pop/ASMU/OKW Summer '07 CBR Summer '08 Royal Pacific & AKL October 2010 Beach Club Villas November 2011 DFTW-Beach Club & Boardwalk April 2012!

My DFTW Planning Journal
donald&daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

I LOVE THIS SERVICE! I was so sick of buying $50 plus games for WII, DS or PS2 ; the kids would play them for the first week and then move on to another game. This way I am never stuck with a pricey game they don't like! I have recommended this to so many people!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran

We have also been using gamefly for the past 6 months or so. Havent had any shipping issues and we live in Oklahoma (closest shipping center is in Texas) We also like the rewards and the lower price to keep games.
sl_underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
Belle1962
DIS Veteran

Thanks. I think I will try it for them. It's so hard to keep coming up with new ideas. And my grandson has almost everything he wants/needs--except Bakugan. We are still searching....
Belle1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
G's mommy
DIS Veteran

We had Gamefly for a few months and the shipping was so slow, we cancelled. We live in GA, it would take 10 days or more to get the game. Maybe it's better now, I don't know.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #11
cruisnfamily
Please save me from 5th grade math!
Why oh why do retailers think weird shaped packaging is appealing?
Talks with her mouth closed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_underwood View Post
We have also been using gamefly for the past 6 months or so. Havent had any shipping issues and we live in Oklahoma (closest shipping center is in Texas) We also like the rewards and the lower price to keep games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsy77 View Post
I LOVE THIS SERVICE! I was so sick of buying $50 plus games for WII, DS or PS2 ; the kids would play them for the first week and then move on to another game. This way I am never stuck with a pricey game they don't like! I have recommended this to so many people!
Quote:
Originally Posted by solfan68 View Post
Our family has been using Gamefly now for a couple of months and we really like it. We feel we get a pretty good bang for the buck because we have a PS2, DS, and Wii/Gamecube. This means we can really load up our queue with a variety of games. Its also been keeping us from buying clunkers. After all, when a Wii game is upwards of fifty bucks a pop, I'd rather 'try before I buy'. And if we do decide to buy(we haven't yet) we can just choose the Keep It option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepower1971 View Post
We have had gamefly for quite awhile now. Shipping time is really pretty good now- it used to be very slow! Not as good as netflix but getting better all the time.

Brand new releases are hard to get. Sometimes you get lucky, other times you wait awhile.

My family feels it is worth the money.
For those of you that have gamefly, I understand that you get some kind of reward/bonus if you refer people, I wondered if when you refer people they get any kind of deal? It looks like the 1st month can be discounted to $6.95/$9.95 to the general public but I wondered if those of you who subscribe have access to any better offers for those of us who are interested in doing this?
cruisnfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
mominwestlake
DIS Veteran

Pros- try a game before buying it. There were a lot of games we tried and the kids didn't like so we were glad that we didn't spend the $50 on it. I didn't think the wait was too bad for new releases.

Con- for us shipping time was horribly slow- 10 days or even more.

*I think this would be a good gift to give someone. We'll probably rejoin in the summer again.
mominwestlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:37 PM   #13
dsnygrl2003
villain fan

We have it too. Great idea but... We usually get games that are way down on our list and like others have said shipping is very slow. It takes anywhere from 1 week to 10 days to get them. My son is 7 and he gets sad everyday when he comes home looking for a new game and they have not come yet.
dsnygrl2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:34 AM   #14
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

WOW I am shocked it takes them that long to ship to all of you! We live in the "sticks" aka known as rural upstate NY. Our nearest shipping center is Phil and the most wait for a new game is 4 days @ most!
Old 11-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #15
BeckyScott
I am still upset that they don't make the Hello Kitty clogs in adult sizes

We have a subscription to GameTap, which is sort of like GameFly but not really. It's computer games, and the membership lets you download the games you want.

The good part:
DS also has a short attention span and he can go download stuff as often as he likes.
The download takes anywhere between 3 minutes to 2 hours depending on how complex the game is, but the longer ones you can do the download in the background.
They have a ton of really good games that are in the stores right now and are expensive to buy, even some that Mommy likes

The bad part:
The games hog up a lot of memory and you have to train the kid to do "house-keeping" regularly and delete stuff he's done playing
(I'm not sure how it works exactly, you're downloading but you're not really, cause if your membership lapses you can't access the games, you have to go thru the GameTap website and log in to access them)
Your kid is so busy on the computer that you can't get to the Dis
Some games (no doubt the best ones) need a really souped-up computer to run, which you won't have and your kid will want those games the most

I know that wasn't your question, but many of the cool games are available on PC. Just a few weeks ago I bought myself a copy of Civilization for the computer. Brought it home and was told by DS that duh, they had it on GameTap. (it's a different Civilization but that would have been fine by me) It might be something to at least check out.
BeckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: