Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
marsh0013
i want to drive the zamboni

Marcia's Solo November Trip to Pop, lots of pics. updated 1/11 day5 pt2, pg 4

Right. So I never know how to start these things. Well, okay, so I just went on a trip with my family in August. I told everyone I wouldn't be back til 2009...then I got this *great* deal for the fall...and decided I just had to take another solo trip in November. I mean, I went last November, over Thanksgiving, and it was wonderful. So I looked at the black out period for vacation at work (I work retail...Borders Books and Music)...and realized I couldn't do Thanksgiving again...but that Nov 11-19 would work out just fine.

So I got in touch with Dan at DU, and he hooked me up with an amazing deal. Something around $400 or so for the hotel, including a 1 day base ticket! Which, of course, I would upgrade to an AP once I got there. Score! I couldn't believe it. Now, you will see, that trip was a Tues-Wed of the next week. And Tuesdays are the nights I go out with my friends after work to Houlihans...so they were not very pleased that I would miss 2 Tuesdays in a row, but hey, I'm going to Disney! So deal with it! And as you will see, I spent the second Tuesday partying it up...in spirit with them...just at a different locale in Disney!

So let's see, what else do you need to know? Um, I have no idea really. Well, okay, Pop Century was my hotel. That's helpful. And um, no dining plan. I've got the DDE instead. I love it because it works on alcohol too! Perfect for me, if you've ever read anything by me, you're well aware!

Oh, here's something else new! I cut my hair just before I left on my trip! Enough to donate to Locks of Love, which I've been wanted to do for a while now. Here's a pic of me and my good friend Aaron at my other friend's wedding a few days before my trip.

Alrighty, enough pre-trip stuff! New installments coming soon! And I will update the title to let you know when and where the new stuff is!

next up: arrival, AK, Jiko, and will I make it to MGM to see David????

~Yacht Club June 2014~Coronado December 2013~BWV October 2013~BCV April 2013~ASSp, BCV, BWV Oct/Nov 2012~AKV & BWV May 2012~ASSp & BWV October 2011~Pop Century June 2011~BWV & POFQ February 2011~SSR November 2010~Yacht Club CL & BWV May 2010~BWI Club Level October 2009~Swan June 2009~Pop Century March 2009~Pop Century November 2008~Pop Century August 2008~Pop Century Apr/May 2008~Celebration November 2007~Celebration September 2007~POLYNESIAN August 2007~Celebration November 20, 2006~10 or so trips growing up offsite (grandparent's house)~
i love the 50's prime time cafe!

June 2009 BDay Solo Dining Report Mar 2009 Solo Dining Report
Nov 2008 Solo Dining Report Nov 2008 Solo Trip to Pop
Family Trip Dining Report, August 2008 Family Trip to Pop Report, Aug 13-20
Solo Deluxe Dining, Apr/May 2008 Solo Pop Apr 30-May 7 Trip Report

Last edited by marsh0013; 01-11-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
wood145
Mouseketeer

Marcia,
I thought your hair looked shorter in the dining thread, it looks really cute. Can't wait to read more of your TR.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2008, 12:59 AM   #3
marsh0013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood145 View Post
Marcia,
I thought your hair looked shorter in the dining thread, it looks really cute. Can't wait to read more of your TR.
thanks! i'll probably do an update tomorrow, as i have off! woo hoo!

~Yacht Club June 2014~Coronado December 2013~BWV October 2013~BCV April 2013~ASSp, BCV, BWV Oct/Nov 2012~AKV & BWV May 2012~ASSp & BWV October 2011~Pop Century June 2011~BWV & POFQ February 2011~SSR November 2010~Yacht Club CL & BWV May 2010~BWI Club Level October 2009~Swan June 2009~Pop Century March 2009~Pop Century November 2008~Pop Century August 2008~Pop Century Apr/May 2008~Celebration November 2007~Celebration September 2007~POLYNESIAN August 2007~Celebration November 20, 2006~10 or so trips growing up offsite (grandparent's house)~

Old 11-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
ididitrn
Earning My Ears

Looking forward to a fun read, you're TR's are always full of great detail!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
marsh0013

Tues, Nov 11, Day 1, Part 1

So I'll start at the very beginning...a very good place to start...

I woke up at 3:15am. That's right. I had a car coming to pick me up at 4am, since my flight was at 6am. I like to be on the first flight out in the morning, because, well, it gets me to Disney faster of course! I had to connect in Atlanta, though, which I wasn't thrilled about, but it was a short connection. I slept most of the time on both planes, and before I knew it, we were touching down at MCO!!! Woo hoo!

It was kinda funny, our flight attendants kept telling us we were on the B side, so if we were going to the Magical Express, we'd have to cross over to the A side. Um, no. I've done this a few times, I know that the B side is where I wanna be. Thanks anyway! Sheesh, they were even based out of Orlando, how do you not know that?

Aaaanyway, so I made my way down to the DME counter, where I encountered a bit of a line. Boo. Oh well, they had lots of CM's working, so it went pretty quick. They sent me on my way to the red carpet, where I only had to wait a couple of minutes before boarding my bus! Yay! I was actually on a cruise bus, but this little beauty was next to me!

Hoorah! Bus was on its way quite quickly, and of course, as it's supposed to be, Pop was the FIRST stop. (Yes, I'm still a bit steaming about the stupid driver from August who had no clue where he was going! LOL!!!) I was the first off the bus, at 12:45pm and I encountered no line to check in. Awesome. And my room was ready. Awesome x2. And it was in the 60s. Awesome x3. Rock on Pop, this time you have not disappointed me!

So since my room was ready, I headed straight to luggage services to pick up my fridge that I was swapping. They got me loaded with a cart and I was on my way to my room. Too funny...walking on my way to my room, carting all my crap, I got stopped by a lady with a young child looking for the laundry room. I was like "Oh, I'm sorry, I don't work here." She said something to the tune of, "Oh, I know, you just look like you know what you're doing." Who me??? Know what I'm doing??? Hahaha, no, never!

I could give you a blow by blow of getting to the room and unpacking and stuff, but I won't bore you. And I actually pretty much just dropped and ran, as I had places to be! Animal Kingdom was to be my first stop. So I headed out to the bus stop and took some pics of my surroundings. So happy to be back!!!

Oh, and the first of MANY self-portraits to come, hehe.

Notice the tank top. Oh yes, the weather was gorgeous. For now!

I got to the bus stop at 1:40, and was dropped off at the AK at 2pm. Sweet deal, I'm ready to hit the park running! Er, after I slowed to take this shot.

Oh yes, and another thing to slow me down...I needed to upgrade my one day base ticket to an Annual Pass. So I took care of that and went on my way.

First stop? Is it really a question??? Everest, of course!!! Here it is, in all its glory. Yeah, I stopped for a picture or two. Isn't it perrrr-ty? Stopped for some Photopass Pics too, but of course I don't have those yet!

So after grabbing a FP for later use, I hopped right onto the single rider line. I know I don't have to tell you how much I love the single rider line. In under five minutes, I was braving the Yeti. Oh yes, I have arrived!!!

Next up? Safari. And. There. Was. No. Line. At somewhere around 3 in the afternoon!!! Oh, I'm gonna enjoy this lovely slow time of the year, yes, I think I am! This was actually the only time I rode the Safari the whole trip, so let me share some photos.

Look at this guy's huuuuuuge mouth!

My favorite tree

baby giraffe

baby elephant w/its mommy

By then, it was time for my Everest FP, so I made my way back toward Asia. Stopped along the way to take a few pics.

Then, since I used my FP, I asked to sit in the front. Only had to wait one train, and then I was off. Love the view from up there!

Once I got off the ride, it was almost 3:45pm...which meant it was almost time for the 3:45 parade, LOL! So I once again headed back across the park, to the Dawa Bar, duh. I like to watch the parade from Africa (right by the beginning and end), because on the first go around, I enjoy lounging with a cocktail and just soaking it in, then I grab a close seat for prime picture taking on the second go around. Oh yes, so the cocktail. The Dawa Bar used to have a blue drink, but it wasn't listed on the board, so I asked, and was told it was called on Oasis, and that it was made with Bacardi Limon, Blue Curacao, and sour mix. Perfect, I'll take one!

I took loads and loads of pics, as is normal for me. Here are just a few of my favs! Look, Chip kissed my hand!

Ok, so after the parade, I was pretty much done for the day. I had an ADR at Jiko, so I just decided to head over to the AKL early.

next up: drinks, dinner, will I make it to MGM and see David???

Last edited by marsh0013; 12-08-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
marsh0013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitrn View Post
Looking forward to a fun read, you're TR's are always full of great detail!
thanks so much for coming along! i love writing them, so it's great to hear that you like reading! first installment is up!

Old 11-23-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
cypresstxmouse
Earning My Ears

Trip

In again for another report!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
marsh0013

Tues, Nov 11, Day 1, Part 2

Alright, so I'm on a roll, I may as well continue!

So I left right after the parade, and was at the bus stop for AKL by 4:40. I'm pretty sure there was a 4:45pm Lion King I could have caught before the park closed at 5, but I had another day I was coming back, and I really felt like getting to dinner. Which I thought started at 5. I mean, my ADR was for 5:45, but I planned to check in right when they opened...which happened to by 5:30. So what's a girl to do?

Well, you know me, so after stopping in the bathroom to change into my skirt (for such a fancy dinner, I needed fancier clothing!), I went to hang out at the bar. Who me? The bar? Never!

Right, so I found Victoria Fall's, where I made myself comfortable, and had my first experience with the new drinks on the standardized drink menu. I try not to order off that menu, as I know places do still have specialized drinks, even if you have to ask for them. But I knew I was gonna have the specialty drink, the Mt. Kilamarita, with dinner. So I went with something that would get me a glow cube...Magical Star Cocktail. But since I hate coconut, they subbed in Bacardi for me instead of the coco rum. Pretty pictures.

So I lounged with my drink for a while, where I took a couple of pictures of the atmosphere around me. It's quite nice in there.

Once I finished my drink, I went down the stairs and checked into Jiko. I had a wonderful meal there, albeit a bit on the slow side. You can read about it in my dining report, the link is in my siggie. So yes, I mentioned it was slow...I was done eating at 6:15 but I didn't get out of there until 6:45! And at some point during the meal, I decided that I *needed* to make it to MGM before they closed...at 7pm. Because I needed to go to the Tune In Lounge and see if David was there. So I caught a cab, and told the cabbie my plan.

We pulled up at the drop off at MGM at 6:55. I tried to pay hastily...but the guy had no change!!! So we had to go find another cabbie to get change. I grabbed my change and ran! Literally RAN full out, in my skirt and flip flops, to the front gate. Where they checked my bag, ran my ticket, and let me through! Yay!

Phew, once inside, I slowed down...but just a bit! I knew they would still be open, because they don't kick people out right at close, but I was still a bit nervous, anxious to get there. So I rounded the corner, opened that oh so familiar door...and walked in! To just about my favorite place ever! And found one of my favorite people, David!!! He was a bit surprised to see me, as I told him in August that I wouldn't be back until the new year. But he was pleased, as was I

Oh, and he knows me too well. After saying our hellos, and how are yous, how's the kid (er, calling the "kid" by name, but don't know if he wants that on here...) and all that jazz, first thing he says..."Picnic Punch, my dear?" Oh yes, please, I would love it! What can I say, I'm predictable.

The other David, the one from my mom's hometown, was there, too, so it was a grand old reunion among the three of us. Yeah, no one else was around. I guess everybody else was already eating or making their way out of the park. I'm the only crazy who rushes to the park as it's closing to get to the bar! So since they were cleaning up, they were going to throw away all this pineapple...but I love pineapple, so I asked if I could have a piece. Here's what I got.

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna need all that, but thanks! After getting my drink and making sure I was settled, David came around to give me a hug and so we could get a picture. He is so the best! Don't worry, this is not the only time I will see him this trip, not even close!

Oh how could I forget??? While I was sipping and chatting, who should appear at the bar to pick up a drink for his table but the one and only...Richard!!!! My waiter from the PTC that my mom and I had August 2007, who I hadn't seen SINCE then, in all my travels. I yelled his name, and he just laughed at me with recognition. So of course, he came over too, and I found out his schedule. Which caused me to cancel my Fantasmic Package at the Brown Derby for Fri night so I could eat with him!

So I finished up my drink and went on my way, promising to stop by the next day, since I was scheduled there for lunch. Would I actually eat there the next day...well, we'll see about that!

So I made my way out of the park, stopping to take a couple pics of the hat. To my disapproval, they already had up all the signage for the Super Soap Weekend that was starting in a few days, so I skipped the Photopass Pics for now.

Got back to Pop around 8:20, and took a few building pics on my way to my room.

Yo-Yo

and I always stay in this building

To my surprise, when I entered my room, this is what I found

I was chosen as the Pop Century Housekeeping "Family" of the Day! I found this quite amusing, as I'm just one person, but still, cute. They gave me that certificate, along with the Rubix Cube, and I got turn down service, complete with chocolate on my pillow! How adorable! My first Dream!

I hooked up my computer, transferred all my pictures from the day, and began uploading them. It turned out to be a good thing that I brought my laptop, as I ran out of room on my memory card on the camera! Guess that's what happens when you take 7 minute videos of Off Kilter...coming soon, btw. Right, so I stayed up a bit, but then hit bed hard, ready to hit rope drop at MGM and Toy Story Mania the next morning.

next up: morning @MGM

Last edited by marsh0013; 12-08-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Love your trip reports! Sounds like your arrival was much better than in August. Too funny that the woman thought you looked like you knew what you are doing.

I've never been at this time, I was so shocked to see that banner up across the hat for Soap Weekends. Takes some of the magic away.

My DH told me last week he is WDW'd out, my DS doesn't want to go, I guess I am going to have to break down and start making solo trips. All I really want to do is take pics! I'm not as outgoing as you obviously are though.

Ok, looking forward to more.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's
Old 11-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
shane&jakesmom
Walt Disney World is my happy place. Wishing to be a DVC member and own a piece of the world.

Great Tr can't wait to read more

1992,1993,1996,2002,2005,2006(2x),2007(3x)
Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Caribbean Beach, All Star Sports, All Star Movies and Pop Century

Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #11
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

Yay--another Marcia report!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #12
marsh0013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypresstxmouse View Post
In again for another report!
welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
Love your trip reports! Sounds like your arrival was much better than in August. Too funny that the woman thought you looked like you knew what you are doing.

I've never been at this time, I was so shocked to see that banner up across the hat for Soap Weekends. Takes some of the magic away.

My DH told me last week he is WDW'd out, my DS doesn't want to go, I guess I am going to have to break down and start making solo trips. All I really want to do is take pics! I'm not as outgoing as you obviously are though.

Ok, looking forward to more.
yeah, much better arrival! made for a much better start to the trip, for sure! you should definitely try out a solo trip! soooo much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane&jakesmom View Post
Great Tr can't wait to read more
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocherie View Post
Yay--another Marcia report!
welcome, welcome, i hope you enjoy!

Old 11-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
marsh0013

Wed, Nov 12, Day 2, Part 1

Aaaah, the first morning of the vacation. Love waking up to that phone ringing! Let's me know I'm in Disney for sure! And off it went at 6:50am. I had a coffee pot in the room, thank goodness for a swap! So I got to have good coffee every morning before breaking down and filling my mug with the swill from the food court. So yeah, every morning, coffee in the room, then swill + hot cocoa combo from the food court.

Took some pics before heading to catch the bus

So I was at the bus stop by 7:50 for a 9am opening. Plenty of time! Where am I headed, you ask??

Right, but I call it MGM. Phooey Disney! I hate the new name! Self portrait, boy it's sunny!

And a bus came a while later, but I wasn't worried, since I was so early. I was at MGM by 8:15, and was the first in my line at the turnstiles. Surprise, surprise. While waiting, I got to talking to the family behind me. Just so happens it was Wahoo776 from the Dis! Shout out to Amy! She told me how she and her son were going to do all of the nighttime shows in one night that night! It was their last night, and they were going all out. Fantasmic at 7, Wishes at 8, and Illuminations at 9! Pretty cool! And all using Disney transportation. So we chatted and I took some pics to pass the time

Then they finally opened the turnstiles at 8:45, and of course my ticket wouldn't read. I started just doing the bar code scan thing, even though the CM's told me to try running it through...but I *knew* it wouldn't work, so come on people, work with me! Let's not frustrate the people behind me because we're wasting time! I know what I'm doing here! LOL! After the little snafu getting in, I was still right up at the rope for the opening show.

I discussed what my plan was. Originally, I was just going to ride first, then wait afterward to get a FP. But well, I also decided that if I got there quick enough, I might grab a FP first, then ride. Depended on where I was in relation to the rest of the crowd. So anyway, here's some pics of the opening show.

Guess I really didn't take too many, as I was occupied in my obsession over Toy Story Mania. Haha! Before I knew it, we were off and NOT running! For a change, they did a Soarin-type CM walk. That pleased me, as I did not enjoy the running that ensued in August. So as luck would have it, I was in front, so I got to the FP machine first, ran my ticket, and still got on line with no wait. Score! Oh, and speaking of score...

Pretty weak, but oh well, it was fun! My FP return time was 9:45am, so I had a bit of time to kill. I decided I may as well try to hit the other biggies in the park, so I headed over to the Rock'n'Rollercoaster. Singles line baby. Twice. Singles line is my friend!

Then my FP window was up, so I thought about getting another for Toy Story, but figured the return would be for way too late (as I was planning on leaving after an early lunch), so I decided to grab one for Tower of Terror instead. Ended up being a good decision!

So I then went back to TSM and rode with my FP. The FP line hadn't had any time to build yet, so I pretty much got to go on with no wait again. I did even more poorly than my first ride! Oh well, still fun!

After that, my FP window was up again (yeah, that was a real short one! but hey, early in the day!). So I decided to get another ToT FP, then ride ToT with my first FP. Was on in no time at all. Red neck shot upcoming

At that point, it was just about 10:35, and I knew there was a 10:45 Beauty and the Beast, so I went on in and watched the show. Love this show. I usually see it more than once each trip. A few pics

At this point, I decided I wasn't going to keep my lunch ADR at the 50's, since I knew Richard wasn't working. So I went to stop in, cancel it, and say hi to David. Well, David wasn't in yet, but I did cancel my ADR. I figured I'd go over to the Brown Derby right when they opened at 11:30 and see if they could fit me in. I had already left the PTC, so I called up Disney Dining to see what the Derby had available, and got an ADR for 1:05...but still planned to show up early. Since it wasn't yet time to go to the HBD, I went to get a FP for Star Tours to use after lunch. On the way back, I ran into these guys

Then I went and checked in for lunch, and was seated right when they opened. Perfect! Since I had to cancel my dinner for the upcoming Friday, since I needed to work with Richard's schedule, I really wanted to get into the HBD, since I love their Cobb Salad! So yeah, kinda funny, but I always sit at the same exact table here! Must be the "singles" table, as someone commented in my food review! (and read more about it in my food review if you'd like)

Once I finished up with lunch, I headed over to the Tune In Lounge to have a drink and see David. Of course, he made me my Grandma's Picnic Punch

We chatted a bit, discussing my options for dinner that night. See, plans were to hit Spectro and Wishes, and I was just going to get counter service for dinner. But I thought I might try out the Wave. And, brilliant idea, I should invite my best friend Morgan's parents, who live in Celebration. Awesome. So, then I was on my way. It was about 1pm, and I was so ready for nap time! Got to the bus stop at 1:15 and was back at the hotel by 1:30. Perfect timing! I was off in lala land as soon as I hit the pillow!

next up: afternoon/evening @MK

Last edited by marsh0013; 12-08-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #14
jeminni
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

Great TR.

I love the hippo pic. ( and all the rest too )
Old 12-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #15
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

That's cool that you ran into another Diser! I wonder if they made it to all of those shows. Isn't it funny when you know more than the CM's. I've helped people get through those turnstiles before myself. Keep thinking I should go work for WDW.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: