Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
DisTeach1
DIS Veteran

Do you have a hobby? What are you passionate about?

So, as I am getting closer and closer to being an empty nester (My only child is 15 and is always busy), I'm realizing I need something more to fill my time, hopefully something that will also include new friends.

I exercise early in the morning every day, so I'm not really into going to the gym after work. I do run my dog every day after work, but I'm home by 4 usually and sometimes the evenings stretch out.

What are your hobbies?
DisTeach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
SharpMomOfTwo
DIS Veteran

Why don't you try tennis or golf? I only do the first of the two (I've been playing tennis for 18 years!), but they can both be great fun, social, and good exercise (is golf exercise??). Or are you more arts and craftie?
SharpMomOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

I like to make jewelry. Just started this past spring. It is an addicting hobby!!!! I have another drussy stone I need to wrap, and then rose quartz earrings and a bracelet for my secret buddy at work!

This is my first pendent, bail came out crappy, but LOVE the boulder opal!!!

Made this SS and turquoise bracelet for my niece for her bday.

Drussy stone, love the color!

Rhodachrosite gold and silver wrapped pendent.

Last edited by wdwmom2; 11-21-2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Brain fart, can't spell right!!!
wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Cool-Beans
Flippin' PINK
Finally admitted it’s her flippin' cat
I always had a thing for Agent Almeida
Queen of the Crow

I have a hobby - scrapbooking.

It consists of taking lots of pictures and putting them into the computer, but never printing them out because I can't figure out how to do it.

On the rare occasion that I get them developed or someone prints them for me, I take them to the scrapping store and buy a bunch of paper and stickers, buttons, etc. that I want to do the page with. Plus, scissors that I might want to use sometime, etc. Total about $100, even if I went in for one sheet of paper.

I put the bag in the scrap/wrapping/hobby room. Six months later, I take the stuff out of the bag and put it away in the scrapping storage stuff.

I haven't actually scrapped anything in almost four years.

I pretend that scrapping is my hobby, but I think my real hobby is DISing.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
Magalex
DIS Veteran

You mention that you have a dog. Check out a local rescue or humane society. The shelters love volunteers plus you meet other dog lovers.

I volunteer at our local humane society about 2 days a week for about 3 hours while my DS is in school. There are all kinds of volunteer positions. I actually don't work with the animals directly. I work in a clerical position but there is always kittens and puppies visiting the little office. Plus it is so interesting. I help the employees that set up off-site adoptions, events, and obedience classes.

We adopted a dog 2 yrs ago and I became interested with dog obedience classes and adoption of older dogs
WDW 2010-POP
WDW 2012-CBR
DL/DCA 2013-Candy Cane Inn
WDW and Sea World Orlando June 2014- The "B" resort in DTD
WDW 2015-POR
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

-
1993 WDL & WDW PORR for Honeymoon,94 PORR,95 OKW,96 PORR,98 Hilton, 2000 PORR,03Poly&Univ Porto, 04 WL & 04 Cont & Univ Porto,05 AKL&Univ Porto & Poly,06PORR&UnivRP, 07AKL&UnivPorto&Poly,10Hilton&PORFQ,11Hilton&Poly, 12Poly,13CB&Univ Porto (I think I'm missing a few trips in there LOL)

Last edited by LuvOrlando; 09-16-2011 at 08:17 AM.
LuvOrlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
tiggerfan1
DIS Veteran

wdwmom- Those jewelry pictures are gorgeous! I especially love the necklace with the Drussy stone.

DisTeach1- I agree with the previous poster. Volunteering is a great thing to do in your spare time. There are many people who would appreciate your time and talents. You could also consider starting a side business based on your interests. One of my friends has always loved to take pictures and she now has her own photography studio. Personally, I love to cook. I love to try new recipes, even if they don't turn out so well. I also enjoy spending time with elderly people. Many of them just want someone to talk to. It breaks my heart to see just how lonely many of these people are. They especially feel lonely during the holidays because they have loved ones who have passed away and/or they have family members who don't even bother to see them.
tiggerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
scotlass
Proud Redhead
Lang may yer lum reek!
Ma heid's mince

I do Karate......My wee boy does it and one day i just thought why sit and watch when i could join in.

LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \0/
scotlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
Seewhatimesdone
Every thread should have a fist shaker

Yoga and I play the saxophone too. Instruments are awesome, even if you aren't great it's still fun to play
Captain Hook has branded me! Has a severe addiction to Zebra Domes
Seewhatimesdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #10
DisneyAddict_M
Born to stand out
I was such a nerd, but I was a cool nerd
I can pick my nose with my toe
I'm the weirdest person I know.

I love to bake. I'm going to have to find a healthier hobby soon.

DisneyAddict_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #11
PrincessKitty1
Epcot is my happy place.

I have a bunch of hobbies. I could easily fill 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with my hobbies (unfortunately I do have to work for a living, not to mention sleep! ).

I love to read, and from this hobby has come a newer hobby, buying and selling out-of-print books. I love to go to library, estate, and yard sales looking for books and ephemera to sell. I don't make much money, but I have a blast!

Kayaking--you don't need to be athletic to do it flat-water kayaking. I go with guides who rent out the kayaks, so I don't even need to have my own. You get to go places NOBODY else goes except on a kayak. For instance, once our guide brought us to an island in the middle of a salt-water coastal river to stop and eat lunch, and on the sandy island edge were Indian potsherds. It was amazing!

DH and I meet lots of people kayaking with tour groups--it's a great way to meet people.

WDWmom2, your jewelry is gorgeous! Did you take a class or did you learn from a book or website?? I have been making beaded earrings and a couple of necklaces lately. I was looking for something fun and easy and bead earrings are both!

DH has taken up musical instrument lessons in the last several years, and since his teacher teaches mostly adults, we've met lots of other adult learners. We've made a couple of very close friends through his music and tons of acquaintances.

I don't really think of my pets as a hobby--they're more a part of the family--but I do enjoy playing with them. If I had a more outgoing dog, I think I would try agility training with my dog.

The Dolphin Fountain (photo taken from our room!)

PrincessKitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:19 PM   #12
YoYoAurora

Pity my DH! It's a long list
And now back to my usual ignore all schedule
I want a hippopotamus for Christmas

I'm another one who could fill her days with crafting! I make jewelry (love the wire wrap pics wdwmom2 - gorgeous!), scrapbook/make cards and other paper crafts, and sew/quilt when I have time. Jewelry making is my main passion - I always have at least one jewelry project going. Right now, I'm learning to make rings.

When I finally get to retire, I'll do volunteer work too. I already volunteer to do event planning for non-profits. I might even pick up tennis again.

My Mom was an avid gardener. I need to learn more about gardening too.

So little time - so many hobbies to investigate! Enjoy!

-- Susan
Old 11-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #13
kristilew
DIS Veteran

Not sure where you are religion-wise, but Bible study is a great way to spend some of that time. If you get the right study, it is intellectually challenging and spiritually fulfilling at the same time. I've always been fascinated by history, and love the studies that delve into the customs and background at work in whatever portion of the Bible I'm studying.

Gardening and sewing are my two main hobbies, although my sewing these days looks a little like Cool-Beans' scrapbooking! Buy fabric, buy patterns, eventually put them in the right drawer, possibly make something, someday! (I miss my dd wanting me to make her clothes - if only there were Hollister patterns!)
kristilew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #14
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

I scrapbook, make jewelry, read (lots!) and surf the internet.

I'd say shopping is a hobby, but I think I have raised it to a much higher level than a hobby

Oh, and photography.

crz4mm2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:38 PM   #15
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom2 View Post
I like to make jewelry. Just started this past spring. It is an addicting hobby!!!! I have another drussy stone I need to wrap, and then rose quartz earrings and a bracelet for my secret buddy at work!

Made this SS and turquoise bracelet for my niece for her bday.

LOVE this bracelet!!!!

crz4mm2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: