Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
kgle
My son's slave

Just the two of us- WDW May 09 countdown on! **UPDATE Trying to change plans AGAIN!**

Well I figured I could start a pre trip report now, I am still new to the DIS boards but not to boards in general. I just want a way to document my craziness over the next 5 1/2 months and people to share it with me!! Bear with me since I am still learning the ropes!

Here goes.

Well, every year DS and I go on a vacation- usually to Canada. I was planning on taking him this year so we could see Niagara Falls again now that he is older.

A co worker (and really good friend) of mine started talking about WDW at work and how she wanted to take her DD. A lightbulb came on and I suggested we go at the same time and split the cost. She seemed all for it, but also said that her family would probably pay her way.

I started researching and originally found a great deal at Best Western at Lake B.V. Then I stumbled upon the b4g3 deal and ended up booking a longer stay at a Disney resort for less than what I was looking at before!

So we are going 5/11-5/18 and staying at POP. I have family in Land O Lakes so that is an added bonus.

I have already purchased the Unofficial Guide and the Everything Guide, so all I need to do is pry myself away from the computer to actually read one of these books!

Eventually I will plan a tentative itinerary just to have an idea. I am so anal about planning that this works out perfectly for me! My friends think I am nuts but I am so excited since we are both first timers.

Last edited by kgle; 03-10-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
kgle
My son's slave

And just to add a picture, this is DS and I

Register to remove

Old 11-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
kgle
My son's slave

I keep plugging in different days and different hotels for this deal to see which is the one I should get...and I always end up with the original plan. I have already booked...put my deposit down but I feel so antsy.

I am trying to convince my sister Lauren (22) to come with us, it would add an extra $250 on to the total right now- bringing it up to $945 for 2 adults and a child for a week. I told her that's an awesome deal and if she just wants to cover the difference then that is okay with me. I know she is probably worried about other costs like food.

I am hesitant to add a DDP onto the reservation though. I just don't know that we would use all of those credits, especially having a toddler with us. Plus our family in LO'L as well. I guess we shall see.

DS and I are now off to the Disney store to get some sweet stuff for him!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
kgle
My son's slave

Auugh waiting for ADR to open up. 22nd right? Another month Also for the park calendar to open up as well.

I have at least figure out that I plan on making ADRs at The Crystal Palace to meet and greet with Pooh & friends. Rylan has always loved Pooh, as an infant he had everything pooh, has a LARGE Pooh in his crib as well as his first Pooh that he always sleeps with (think he likes Pooh? Nah.). I have heard some great reviews of the CP and it seems like its right up our alley.

I think I have decided against the DDP. Well at least deluxe. I may do the quick service...but I am such a picky eater and so is Rylan, that I would prefer to bring lunch or go back to the hotel for a nap and food. We may eat at a couple restaurants on site, but I also am meeting with family.

Still trying to convince my sister and now my dad to go. My dad has not said no...(and excuse me while I trail off subject)...he said he and his gf are planning a 3 week trip in the summer (and I told him "That's ok! You can do another week!"). He keeps asking me about us flying down there and I keep trying to instill in him that flying is just out of the question. Especially as a single parent with a toddler! Done it 3 times, it sucks!

Anyway, eyes still glued to the Unofficial. I am getting some good ideas on touring plans, restaurants, etc. Especially the GREAT rides and attractions for preschoolers.

I hope to have more exciting info soon!

Edited to add:

I showed Rylan the video of Fantasmic! on the WDW website and he kept oohing and ahhing and his jaw kept dropping LOL. Now I am sure it will be quite different when we are actually there...but I think that solidified my idea to book the Fantasmic Dining Package, probably at H&V. Mamas sounds really good, but I like the idea of pacing my own meal so we can get good seats!

Last edited by kgle; 11-22-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your first time ever to disney. You will love, love, love it!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
kgle
My son's slave

Thanks! As you can tell, I am beyond excited (and its also been about 6 yrs since I have seen most of my family there).

One of my best friends probably thinks I am nuts because I keep telling her about all the cool things we are going to do and all the great deals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started a spreadsheet last night...man is that going to be a pain in the butt. I am the type to do everything on my own, so even though I know there are pre made spreadsheets I will still do this by myself.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
kgle
My son's slave

Alright! I know I posted a picture of DS and I. Ok his name is Rylan. I am so much more used to calling him that than DS! But here are some good pictures of the "cast".

First off moi (on the right, my hair is much lighter there than it is now):

I am 25. Single momma to Rylan. I work full time, go to school full time, and parent full time. I am not sure if I know what the word "break" means! As stated before this will be my first trip to WDW. I am a picture freak and I am sure I will come home with thousands of pictures!

Next up, Rylan.

Rylan is 2 1/2! He is a momma's boy all the way. He adores Disney and gets super excited lately to see Mickey Mouse (or "Micka Mouse"). He loves Pooh bear. He is a very outgoing child and very precocious. And I say that as a completely unbiased parent. Heck, he would rather count in Spanish than in English! This won't be Rylan's first trip though. He has flown 3 times, once to Kansas when I was with my ex, and 2 other times to Buffalo, NY on our way to Canada. He saw Niagara Falls when he was 6 months old.

Moving on (I could talk about him all day). My sister Lauren:

Lauren is 22. She is my project for this trip We aren't the best of friends, but I adore her and when she is in a good mood she is truly awesome. Lauren is the most outgoing person I know and she always gets me in a good mood and can make me laugh as well. She is worried about cost. I think she is 50/50 on her decision, but the deal I made with her was that she only covers the difference of adding her onto the ressie which is around $250. I would pay for everything else. She as well has never been to WDW and I know she would love seeing family. It also gives me the chance to get out at night with her and have some adult time while Rylan stays with family.

All in all its bound to be fun! I am keeping my fingers crossed for Lauren!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
kgle
My son's slave

Aha! Sis left a comment on my cousin's Myspace telling her she was more than likely going and she was excited!

I have decided to add park hopper on the tickets regardless of who goes. I don't plan on taking Ry to more than one park a day, but I know that for at least a couple nights I want to have family watch him or hire a sitter and go with my cousin to ride some of the more adult rides that I can't ride with him. Heck, I won't be back for a while! Its only an extra $50 or so per person so I don't mind that.

Got through a lot of "The Everything Guide to Walt Disney World...." and I didn't like it at first, but it was really easy to pick and choose which attractions I want to see by myself, and which ones Rylan and I can go to together. Makes it easier to plan out days.

Sad that Pleasure Island is closing (or closed?). It would have been a lot of fun to go there. Maybe I will travel to Universal and go to CityWalk. That sounds like fun. And the reason why I need someone 21+ to go! My cousin is only 20!

I will probably get on later and make notes about attractions and possible restaurants.

Yay, I have the next 4 days off! Hopefully I can pry myself away from here for most of that time hah!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #9
kgle
My son's slave

double post
Old 11-29-2008, 12:56 AM   #10
kgle
My son's slave

Alright!

I have some ideas for dining, as for days- NO CLUE. Darn May schedule that isn't out yet!

Here is what I have so far:

Crystal Palace- lunch for the character meal
Tusker House- breakfast for the character meal (still undecided)
Coral Reef Restaurant- dinner- although I have read some iffy reviews...I read other ones that were great. I think DS will like it and the food sounds great to me!
Mama Melrose- Dinner/Fantasmic package. I was going to do H&V however after reading about what they serve at MM I REALLY want to try it out.
Maya Grill- Breakfast
50s Prime Time- Dinner

So far that is all I have...and I am unsure as to whether or not I want to do more dining on property. I just don't want to end up spending $500 on food with a toddler!

I know that I definitely want to hire a sitter one night and do CityWalk now. If I have someone else going with me, that is. And I am also really interested in Jelly Rolls!

Time to hit the hay. Work tomorrow so I am sure I will slack off and post the attractions I want us to see!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:22 AM   #11
kgle
My son's slave

And just because Here are some pictures taken of us today. Well today and earlier in the week. Just to spice this PTR up!

My monster

My bud sleeping with his Cars gear (got a GREAT deal on the bedset!)

And Santa and Mrs. Claus They did the lighting of the tree in Monument Circle tonight and they just so happened to be out there. Rylan of course had to see Santa and yell and wave at him!

Okay well I guess they aren't pictures of us...just of him. What can I say. I'm a typical mom.

Back to WDW related stuff. After reading other PTR I really want to see about making a countdown. I also saw some really sweet scrapbooking stuff at Meijer last night and would LOVE to make a scrapbook out of Rylan's character pictures! I have no clue where to begin though...never done scrapbooking in my life and it seems so overwhelming!

Ok, really off to bed now.

Hah! I talk like I am actually talking to someone out there
Old 11-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
kgle
My son's slave

On to attractions to see while we are there:

Magic Kingdom
Wishes (still unsure, don't know if DS will sit still for it)
Main Street Railroad Depot- DS LOVES trains and loves to ride on them
Spectromagic Parade- again- unsure. We may do this if they have it the night we arrive
Magic Carpets
Country Bear Jamboree- undecided
Tom Sawyer Island
Liberty Square Riverboat
The Haunted Mansion- a definite for me...don't know if its suitable for DS
Cindarella's Golden Carousel
it's a small world- for sure!!!
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh- after having decorated DS's room with Pooh, dressing him in Pooh, and him having a "My first Pooh Bear" bear that he sleeps with every night (plus a giant one) I think we definitely should see this
Donald's Boat
Mickey's Country House and Judge's Tent
Minnie's Country House
Meet the Characters

Epcot
The Living Seas

Disney-MGM Studios (Hollywood)
The Great Movie Ride- again, undecided. Don't know if he will like it
Fantasmic!- this is a must see for me- I plan on ADRs at Mama Melrose before the show
Playhouse Disney
The Great Movie Ride- unsure
Streets of America
Voyage of the Little Mermaid

Animal Kingdom
Tree of Life
Kilimanjaro Safaris
TriceraTop Spin
Camp Minnie Mickey
Affection Section
Pangani Forest Exploration Trail
Wildlife Express Train- to Affection Section
Kali River Rapids- DS should definitely be 38 inches by May...but not sure if this would be okay for him?
Maharaja Jungle Trek

Okay...looking back I feel like we MUST be missing out on some things! There has to be more to do with a toddler/preschooler when we are there. Any suggestions? I know someone has to be reading this thing...

Last edited by kgle; 11-29-2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: added more attractions
Old 11-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
kgle
My son's slave

Well I think I may end up adding a Water Parks and More option to my tickets for the extra $60 or so...I feel like I may end up having a couple days open so why not. Now time to look into the water parks.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #14
kgle
My son's slave

Blizzard Beach
Teamboat Springs
Runoff Rapids
Melt-Away Bay
Tike's Peak
Cross Country Creek

Typhoon Lagoon
Surf Pool
Castaway Creek
Ketchakiddee Creek

I am not absolutely sold on the water parks...I feel like there won't be much for us to do, and I just really don't want to be stuck at the kiddy pool all day long. Maybe I will look into SeaWorld or Universal Studios or something...
Old 11-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #15
kgle
My son's slave

I think I am going to bite the bullet and upgrade to either CSR or CBR. Ahhh decisions decisions! I will be paying about $300 more, but what the heck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: