Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #106
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

And I'm sure there plenty of others like you. I also love immersing myself in WDW when I'm there. But, there are plenty of others who like to go offisite. There are plenty of people that don't care for the restaurants in DTD or the 'nicer' spots within the confines of WDW. Eating at WDW is one of my dh's favorite things to do. He is not an attractions kind of guy. He goes to WDW to humor me and our dd.
But, believe me...Disney realizes that many, many guests who rent cars go off site to eat and to shop. There are a ton of posts asking about nearby grocery stores and WalMarts.
DME is never going to work for everyone. It is not ever going to be perfect. It is what it is...a very good service for which we, the guest, pay nothing out of pocket for. THe cost of DME is all bound up in room rates...everyone is paying a small amount towards things like DME.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #107
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
But, believe me...Disney realizes that many, many guests who rent cars go off site to eat and to shop. There are a ton of posts asking about nearby grocery stores and WalMarts.
And I know where most of them are. In 40+ trips to WDW we have only been totally without a car for 2 of them - and we will be for our upcoming December trip until we move to Bonnet Creek for the 2nd week. We've used DME a lot (I can't remember exactly how many times ) but we rarely make the return trip to MCO and we most often get the car at the CCC when we actually need it. The best thing about DME is their luggage service. We will continue to use it for our trips!
ntsammy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #108
Brygida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well. Even I use the local Winn Dixie for bottled water and milk!
Old 09-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #109
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brygida View Post
Well. Even I use the local Winn Dixie for bottled water and milk!
Ah Ha!!! See, I knew you bought off-site for something!!! Kidding.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #110
Brygida
DIS Veteran

Talking

Quote:
Ah Ha!!! See, I knew you bought off-site for something!!! Kidding.
But that's because WDW does not have a grocery store where you can buy 6-packs of sports-top-bottled-water, quarts of Perrier, and 1/2 gallons of Simple Smart milk. If they did, I bet you I would go there!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #111
tigger_fan
Earning My Ears

I'm sorry for such a newbie question, but we are flying southwest and arrive at 9:35....if we check our luggage with the special tags and the flight is late what do we do about our luggage?

thanks
tigger_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #112
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger_fan View Post
I'm sorry for such a newbie question, but we are flying southwest and arrive at 9:35....if we check our luggage with the special tags and the flight is late what do we do about our luggage?

thanks
If the flight arrives after 10pm, your tagged bags won't be picked up and delivered to your resort. They may be allowed out onto the regular public baggage carousel and then taken to the unclaimed luggage area if no one claims it that night. But, DME personel will collect it in the morning and deliver it.
When arriving after 8pm, I would be hesitant to tag my bags...just because flights can be late and I want my bags that night.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #113
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

After 10 the bags, yellow tagged ones and all, should be allowed out into the carousel area. Otherwise numerous baggage claims will (should) be filed by guests when they finally give up and leave for the welcoming area.
Today's riddle: Q: Why are there these 20 foot timber or stucco walls between the freeway and people's back yards? A: So people living there don't put up huge Christmas light displays and distract passing motorists.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #114
nd_stclgrad
Earning My Ears

Question

How special is the DME experience? In other words, when you step on the bus, do you feel the "WDW experience?" What's the ride to WDW like? Is it something my kids will really enjoy? Our 1st trip...

nd_stclgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #115
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_stclgrad View Post
How special is the DME experience? In other words, when you step on the bus, do you feel the "WDW experience?" What's the ride to WDW like? Is it something my kids will really enjoy? Our 1st trip...
Well, I'm not sure I would say it was a truly 'magical' experience. But, it does start the trip off in much more of a Disney way than say, a towncar or a rental car.
When you board the bus, you do feel like your fun is starting. As you leave the airport area, a video will start. It has all the pertinent Disney characters telling you all about WDW. They show the checkin process with a lot of Disney silliness. The kids really seem to enjoy the video....it does make for a festive atmosphere.

It shouldn't take any longer than 90 mins from your gate to your resort. In the majority of cases, it will be more like 70 mins. I have used DME many times and it usually takes 60-75 mins total. Only one time has it taken more than 75 mins...that one time we were the last of three resort stops, with each stop taking about double the time due to there being so much checked luggage to unload and disburse. For some reason, there were more than the usual number of families on the bus that had their many checked bags with them, rather than allowing DME to transport the bags for them to their respective resorts.

DME is a good way to start your WDW vacation. It's especially nice to save that $100+ for food or fun stuff vs a towncar ride.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #116
rmm7e
Mouseketeer

"Why in heaven's name didn't they tag the bags before checking them at home, and then not worry about them..but no, they lugged them from baggage claim and onto the bus with them. To put your tags on the bags before boarding the DME bus shows a decided lack of information. I have to wonder if people even read the DME booklet."

I can think of a reason...maybe they didn't fly to MCO? Sounds crazy, but this will be my situation in May. I'm flying one-way to Daytona to attend a conference, and want to tack on a Disney vacation at the end. Since I won't have a car, I'm planning to take the airport to airport shuttle (Daytona to MCO) and hopping on ME to get to my resort. That way I can get back to MCO on ME to fly home.

If anyone spots a flaw in this plan, please let me know! I'm getting ready to finalize it.

Regina
rmm7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #117
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm7e View Post
"Why in heaven's name didn't they tag the bags before checking them at home, and then not worry about them..but no, they lugged them from baggage claim and onto the bus with them. To put your tags on the bags before boarding the DME bus shows a decided lack of information. I have to wonder if people even read the DME booklet."

I can think of a reason...maybe they didn't fly to MCO? Sounds crazy, but this will be my situation in May. I'm flying one-way to Daytona to attend a conference, and want to tack on a Disney vacation at the end. Since I won't have a car, I'm planning to take the airport to airport shuttle (Daytona to MCO) and hopping on ME to get to my resort. That way I can get back to MCO on ME to fly home.

If anyone spots a flaw in this plan, please let me know! I'm getting ready to finalize it.

Regina
No problem doing what you want to do at all. Many people do just that. The issue with putting those yellow tags on the bags as they wait in line to board the bus??? Those yellow tags go on checked luggage at your home airport...this alerts baggage handlers at MCO to put these tagged bags aside as they come off the plane, so they can be taken by DME baggage people to a different area so as to disburse them to the appropriate resort. There is no need to put these tags on bags as you board the bus. They have nothing whatsoever to do with going to the resort via the buses. They are specifically for baggage handlers.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #118
rmm7e
Mouseketeer

Quote:
There is no need to put these tags on bags as you board the bus. They have nothing whatsoever to do with going to the resort via the buses. They are specifically for baggage handlers.
OK, that's what I figured. Thanks for the reply. I guess when people have those tags, they feel like they gotta use them! Even if it doesn't make sense. Heh.
rmm7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #119
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

I haven't flown before, and haven't used DME at all either, so bear with me please. I've been reading up on the yellow tags and luggage and *think* I have it straight now.

So, my flight gets into MCO around 9:00 pm at night. So for bags that I bring on the plane with me, I just take them straight to the DME check in desk and they will check me in and I will be on the bus with my bags, correct? And they don't need yellow tags, right?

And for bags that I check, if I use a yellow tag then it goes straight to DME and I don't need to do anything other than collect it the next morning? But what If I want to collect the bag myself from the baggage claim area - can I claim it myself if I don't put a yellow tag on it? Or is it better to wait until the next morning to get the bag?

TIA!
Karen

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #120
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffinito View Post
I haven't flown before, and haven't used DME at all either, so bear with me please. I've been reading up on the yellow tags and luggage and *think* I have it straight now.

So, my flight gets into MCO around 9:00 pm at night. So for bags that I bring on the plane with me, I just take them straight to the DME check in desk and they will check me in and I will be on the bus with my bags, correct? And they don't need yellow tags, right?

And for bags that I check, if I use a yellow tag then it goes straight to DME and I don't need to do anything other than collect it the next morning? But what If I want to collect the bag myself from the baggage claim area - can I claim it myself if I don't put a yellow tag on it? Or is it better to wait until the next morning to get the bag?

TIA!
Karen
Almost right!! Yes, you take any carryon bags with you to the DME counter and then onto the bus with you. If they are larger carryons, like a rollaboard, then the driver will put it under the bus.
Any checked bags that you tag with the yellow DME tags will be taken from the plane, sorted and put on resort trucks for delivery. You can expect them, in your room, up to 4 hrs after resort checkin. Later in the evening it usually takes less than that. If your flight arrived after 10pm, then your DME tagged bags would remain at MCO until the next morning, and then be delivered to you.
If you want to claim your own bags, at baggage claim, just don't tag them. When you get to MCO, head to your baggage claim area, get your bags and then head to DME checkin. Your bags will go under the bus. Keep in mind that any time a bus driver 'touches' your bag(s), they are going to expect a tip.
Hope this helps a bit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: