Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
grither
Earning My Ears

rental car- sanford, to Tampa, to WDW

hi all! wondering if anyone has advice-

in November we are flying in to Sanford airport (through Allegiant). we intend to rent a car to visit friends in Tampa for a couple of days, then to WDW where we are staying at a Disney resort.

having trouble getting a reasonable rate for a rental car... it seems like most want to do 'round trip' ie pickup at sanford airport, and then drop back off at sanford airport. obv i don't want to do that...i'd prefer to pickup a car at sanford airport, do our tampa visit... then drive direct to disney to drop off

any advice on how to achieve this in the most cost effective way?
grither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
webworm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grither View Post
hi all! wondering if anyone has advice-

in November we are flying in to Sanford airport (through Allegiant). we intend to rent a car to visit friends in Tampa for a couple of days, then to WDW where we are staying at a Disney resort.

having trouble getting a reasonable rate for a rental car... it seems like most want to do 'round trip' ie pickup at sanford airport, and then drop back off at sanford airport. obv i don't want to do that...i'd prefer to pickup a car at sanford airport, do our tampa visit... then drive direct to disney to drop off

any advice on how to achieve this in the most cost effective way?
You should just rent a car for the week from SFB and return it there since it will be much cheaper. How would you get from WDW to SFB? Public transportation depending on number in party will not be cheap.
I do not know your dates but 1 week from Nov 8 - 15 from SFB is $221 inc taxes for midsize with Alamo using Costco ID 7014627 and Coupon AF5365ODH for a free day.
webworm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
Mickeygolf
DIS Veteran

Budget has a counter at Sanford where you could rent the car for a few days and then drop off at the Doubletree in the DTD hotels. The location code for Budget at Doubletree is M03.

We are flying into Sanford on Allegiant renting the car at Budget. Will drive to WDW, stop for groceries and then take the car to Doubletree that first night or first thing the next morning. We'll just reverse this for our trip home. Pick the car up at Doubletree and drop it off at Sanford. The great thing about Doubletree is they will give you a ride back to the resort when you drop it off and come pick you up when you need the return rental.

Not sure what kind of rate you'll get, I've had good success using Mousesavers and finding Budget discount codes. Seems like the Wal-mart code usually works pretty good.

Good luck!!!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Kae
DIS Veteran

Try the BV Palace as drop off place. National or Alamo. We have always gotten better rates there for some reason. Also remember most folks getting off the plane as Sanford are getting a rental and most rental place don't have an express pick up there so if you can send one person to do the car & one to do luggage it is way better.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
stinkpickle
DIS Veteran

I've usually found week-long rates by dropping off at Sanford to be not much more than two one-way trips...and a LOT less hassle.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
grither
Earning My Ears

wow thanks for all the great feedback. will investigate a few options...

one thing i was wondering- we are staying at saratoga springs... do you think they charge for parking? ie if i keep the rental for the whole time ie 11 days, will i have to pay a daily parking rate at WDW? i'm assuming yes but couldn't find this out on the disney site

edit: found this... but not sure what key to the world is? we are staying on the resort....

Resort Hotel Guests
Parking is complimentary for Disney Resort hotel Guests with a valid Key to the World Card or Resort Parking Permit.
grither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
stinkpickle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grither View Post
wow thanks for all the great feedback. will investigate a few options...

one thing i was wondering- we are staying at saratoga springs... do you think they charge for parking? ie if i keep the rental for the whole time ie 11 days, will i have to pay a daily parking rate at WDW? i'm assuming yes but couldn't find this out on the disney site
Parking should be free, as long as you're staying there.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
Mickeygolf
DIS Veteran

Parking will be free at Saratoga while you're staying there and free at all the parks while you're on onsite guest.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

The "key to the World Card" use to be your room key now you have a magic band. When you return to the SSR you will use the far right lane. Pull up hold you magic band to the scanner to trigger the gate arm to open.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: