Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
irene_dsc
DIS Veteran

Don't tell the kids, but I'm thinking ahead to Spring 2010

Hi, and welcome to my PTR!

I did a PTR for our 1st trip (see my siggie for link) way before I had any clue as to what people did for PTR's here. I'm not sure this one will be much better, but I'll try, lol.

The Cast of Characters:

Me - Irene, Mom, DW, attempting to be both architect and Super-Mom but there just is never enough time for everything!
Never been to WDW until this past January, when we took the family for our first real family vacation. (No visiting relatives or friends, just the 4 of us doing fun stuff). I wasn't a fan of cartoons growing up, so I probably wouldn't have appreciated it then. I'm still not Disney-obsessed, but had an amazing time on our trip, and am excited to go back!
Favorites from our trip: Wishes, Peter Pan

DH - Michael - also an architect (we met at the architecture exam way back when)
Not a big Disney fan. Childhood trip to MK, brief teenage trip to DHS. Hates feeling crowded. Loves watching the kids when they get excited about stuff. Thought I was over-planning our 1st trip, but appreciated all the plans and insights once we were there!
Favorites from our trip: Swimming in January

DD - Gwendolyn, now 4.5 y/o, the biggest reason for this PTR, since she hasn't stopped talking about WDW since we came home. She didn't know many of the characters going in, but now knows all the major ones! The other day, her dolls were talking about going on vacation to WDW. Can't wait for the Tinker Bell movie to air on Disney Channel so we can DVR it. I want to get back before she decides she is too old to like princesses, but this time she will be tall enough for Soarin'!
Favorites from our trip: Meeting Cinderella at 1900 Park Fare, Peter Pan

DS - Thomas, now 7 y/o - doesn't talk about WDW very often, but every so often. Is very excited to try a water park, after our summer jaunt to the Dells (Kalahari). He is very intense and moody, with obsessions that tend to vary, but are typical boy things. Currently he is into Star Wars, Bionicles, Transformers, and Johnny Test.
Favorites from our trip: Jedi Training Academy, swimming

So, I don't want to make WDW the only place we go on vacation - there are way too many other cool places to visit out there. And, I don't think we can afford to plan a major vacation for 2009. But, honestly, we had a great time on our vacation, and it is hard to think of another place that is so kid-friendly. Plus, dd really, really wants to go back.

Tentative plan: Spring Break, 2010
Why then? January was a little cold, and since ds wants to try the water parks, I'd like warmer weather for that. But, none of us can deal well with huge amounts of heat, so summer is out. Spring seems like a good time of year, although it will be at least somewhat crowded. I'm willing to pull the kids out of school for a day or 2 if it helps the airfare, but that's about it. I don't have the school calendar for that school year yet, but we may end up around dd's 6th birthday. Dd will be in kindy, and ds in 3rd grade.

Where? I'm seriously considering off-site this time around. I know we'd like to be there long enough to be relaxed, and cramming the 4 of us in a hotel room isn't that relaxing. I've heard enough good reports of Windsor Hills that I am considering that area, in a 2 or 3 bedroom place. Then I also wouldn't have to agonize over whether or not to do the DDP, lol.

That's about as far as I've gotten on my mental plan. DH is in on my ideas and agrees so far. The kids, however, are not going to hear anything until and unless we decide we can actually afford it! (Dh and I are both architects with our own small firm, so with economic conditions as they are, I don't want to assume anything!)

I don't know how often I'll be updating this, but now I have a place to put updates and thoughts...

Current PTR for a maybe trip - Don't tell the kids: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2012444
Trip #1: Jan 2-8, 2008 WDW - TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1632004

Last edited by irene_dsc; 11-17-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: more details...
Old 11-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
irene_dsc
DIS Veteran

Ok, some pictures so you know who we are:

These are from a recent trip to visit dh's dad in Los Angeles:

DH - USC alum and major fan (at the USC/Arizona State game):

DS and me at the Getty (this is probably the best picture of me in existence - don't expect me to look like this ever again!)

DD, also at the Getty:

Current PTR for a maybe trip - Don't tell the kids: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2012444
Trip #1: Jan 2-8, 2008 WDW - TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1632004
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

OMG! I was just looking at my old PTR and saw the link in your siggie! So, what happened?? Are you going?? I'm trying to get my old PTR unlocked as I may have some news.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
Old 01-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
irene_dsc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
OMG! I was just looking at my old PTR and saw the link in your siggie! So, what happened?? Are you going?? I'm trying to get my old PTR unlocked as I may have some news.
Well, so far, nothing is actually planned. Discretionary spending is pretty much on hold right now - we have a bunch of pending projects, but no one is committing to anything major. So, I don't dare actually commit to anything until our cash flow gets a bit better, alas. Dd brings up vacation pretty much once or twice a week, however! We saw one of those Celebrate your Birthday in WDW commercials recently, and I very quickly pointed out that while they will pay for one person's ticket, it doesn't pay for hotel, transportation, food, or anyone else's tickets! Before I said that, ds was all excited to have his birthday at WDW! (Tho, I have to say, dd is much more likely to get birthday at WDW than DS - April is not nearly as hot as July!)

I will say thanks for mentioning the Flower & Garden show - not sure if I can manage to work that into the plan, but it would be cool if I could. Dd at least would enjoy it with me - I guess dh and ds could go to the water park that day, lol.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

I really hope you're able to make it work. I'm excited about the Flower and Garden Festival. I've seen pictures and they're gorgeous!

I forgot to mention what a great picture of you that is above.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
irene_dsc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
I really hope you're able to make it work. I'm excited about the Flower and Garden Festival. I've seen pictures and they're gorgeous!

I forgot to mention what a great picture of you that is above.
I'll be waiting for your F&G report!

Thanks about the picture. Can you believe Gwendolyn took that picture?

Old 01-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

She's a budding photographer!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: