Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
raph_b
Proud Redhead

My First Ever Trip Report - Day 4 - Sea World Saturday and Chicken N' Wine

In light of the fact it's taken me so long to get here since day 3, here's a reminder

The pre-trip can be found here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1850893

and the earlier installments:

Day 1

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1982340

Day 2

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1985151

Day 3

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1991243

Day 4 - Seaworld Saturday at last!!!

I had been looking forward to this for ages, some of my clearest memories from my only previous trip to Orlando 20 years ago are of Seaworld, and in fact I still have my cuddly walrus from there

One of the great things about the International Plaza was the fact it's a 10 minute walk to Seaworld!

We left the hotel about 9 (once again there was too much faffing around to make a rope drop!) and found the little pathway to Sea World. As we were walking towards the Sea World car park a very nice bus driver offered to take us the rest of the way okay, it was only a few hundred metres, but it was very hot and the air conditioned bus was like heaven

We got through the gates about 9.15 and headed straight for Kraken, which did not disappoint

The queue was non existent, although the queue for the front was about 15 people deep. We decided to wait for the front, but it took ages, about 20 minutes in total, as there was only one car going around.

Kraken was amazing, and again, being at the front made it a much better ride. After riding the front we went straight back on and rode the back, which was wicked again

We then went for Journey to Atlantis, which was a walk on, although Em was unsure about going on this as she had developed a phobia of getting soaked after yesterday's nonsense at IOA! I convinced her we wouldn't get wet, and and I was almost right - we got all the way round, down the water drop and managed to get very minor splashback - unfortunately we counted our chickens a little to early, and whilst breathing collective sighs of relief, we got an absolute soaking from one of the water cannons! - It wasn't as bad as yesterdays soaking, but it wasn't far off!

It was only later we realised that someone had paid to soak us - as we were watching all the other cars come round and wondering why no-one else was getting wet!

We then went to feed the dolphins, but the queue was ridiculous so we thought we'd come back later. We watched a few people feeding them, then went to see the rays. I loved the little ray 'pups' in the nursery. So cute

Then looked at the baby dolphins in the nursery

We then went to watch the Dolphin Show, which is absolutely amazing. Its incredible how well trained the dolphins are, and they can get some serious height when they jump!

Next up was the Clyde & Seymore show

I remember loving this show as a kid, I cant remember anything about it, but I remember loving the walrus, and in fact I still have my walrus teddies at home

The show is really funny, the actors seemed to be laughing with eachother all the way through which made it even funnier. Again, its just so impressive how well trained the seals are.

As good as the show the show was, the funniest part was the pre show entertainment!

You should definitely aim to get to the show at least 15 minutes early - not to save a seat, but to check out the mime! He is hilarious. When we came in he pointed us towards a seat, and as we walked past the crowd all started laughing, we turned around an couldn't work out why. The mime basically points people towards a seat and when they walk past takes the mickey out of them, but he is really funny and observant - you can see some clips of him on you tube.

I would love to know what he did to us......

Anyway, we then went to get some lunch from the Spice Mill

We both went for the jerk chicken sandwich, which was really good: really good fries too

After lunch we checked out the penguins, then the sharks. I remember this from when I was younger too, and also imagined it would be more like it is in Jaws 3. I guess I was disappointed a giant great white didn't attack lol. There were some really cool looking fishes and sharks in there though.

Next up was the Shamu show - 'Believe' Again, this was amazing. The shows at Sea World really are amazing and have to be seen. I am just so impressed that such a massive creature can be tamed so well. The killer whales here are better behaved than our rabbits!

I love this pic - check out the size of his flipper!!!

After we went to the everest ride, the ride was a bit crappy but I loved the polar bear and the walrus (I'm not sure what it is about walrus' that I like, they just have such cute faces - maybe its the moustache!)

Oh, almost forgot the mummy seal feeding her little baby

We were knackered after a long day of walking around so walked home, rested for a bit then headed to the nearest mall, Pointe Orlando.

I thought this was an absolute waste of time, only decent shop (imo) is Hollister, and there are a few decent looking restaurants there but for shopping it just seemed empty. Is this place new? I hope they are planning to add more shops...........

Of course we took the madatory picture of the upside down wonder works:

We then got ready for our evening meal at Le Coq Au Vin, rated the number 1 restaurant on trip advisor in Orlando (or had been for the past year or so until Shula's recently claimed the top spot!)

Coq Au Vin

Em is half French and has been brought up on fine French cuisine, so it would need to be good to live up to the reputation on TA, Well I'm pleased to say that it smashed those expectations out the park, this restaurant is amazing!

I wasn't getting my hopes up on the way down there, as it is in downtown Orlando and, lets just say we went past some less than desirable areas.

The restaurant is fairly easy to find in a car using the directions from their website.

It's really cool inside, and very French too!

Okay okay, enough of this boring talk of decor and areas, ON TO THE FOOD!!!!

Firstly, I apologies but we didn't take any pictures in here - maybe we were too scared, maybe we were too hungry, I can't remember, but even without pictures I can remember that the food was superb.

For starter I had Tarte a L’Oignon - Alsace style caramelized onion tart, crisp smoked bacon bits Herb boursin, goat, cottage cheeses mix.

Em had - Coquilles St. Jacques Sea scallops and mushrooms in a light cream sauce with a cheese and garlic, parsley crust

Mains were

Me - Tournedos - Beef tenderloin steak on shredded shortribs, bleu cheese crust, morel mushrooms, port wine sauce, carrots with thyme, au gratin potatoes

Em - Cannot remember! It was some kind of fish, but from the seasonal menu which is not online - I know, I know, first I let you down with a lack of pictures, and now there isn't even a description of the food. Fell free to PM with me with any complaints

For dessert we shared:

Tarte aux Pommes - Butter puff pastry, granny smith apples, raisins, praline crunch and caramel ice cream

Les Souffles de Jean Baptiste Grand marnier, chocolate, raspberry or any two combinations. Chocolate flavour of course

All of the food really was amazing, and pretty good value too. The only disappointing part of the meal was the souffle, all reviews have raved about how amazing this was, and it was just ok, couldn't really get excited about it.

The Tarte aux Pommes however was amazing. Whenever Em and I share a dessert its every man for himself, and if you aren't quick the dessert will soon be gone, so once we both realized this was easily the best of the desserts silence struck and the tarte was soon history.....

The total (including a beer and a bottle of wine) without tip was only $112.88

Em's marks

Ambience 9
Service 7
Food 9.5
Value for money 10

Em's reason for scoring service low was because the waiter was a bit grumpy!

Overall 9.5

Me

Ambience 9
Service 8
Food 9
Value for money 10

Overall 9

Another fantastic restaurant and one I would highly recommend.

And yes, once again, we were stuffed!

Tune in tomorrow for fun and frolics in the Animal Kingdom, dinner at Narcoosee's and dessert at Goofy's Candy Co (and our last day of being single!)

PS Sorry about the delay in the report, things have been really busy recently.
Feb 1999 - DLRP - Sequoia Lodge (4 nights)
May 2007 - DLRP - Daytrip
Sep 2008 - WDW - Offsite (2 weeks)
Mar 2009 - DLRP - Hotel New York (3 nights)
Nov 2009 - DLHK - Daytrip
Sep 2010 - WDW - Last trip before its time to have babies!

Thank you O' great Tag Fairy - You have made this Proud Redhead a very happy bunny!!
raph_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great report, looking forward to more
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
jackieleanne
DIS Veteran

Great update I can't wait to read more.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

jackieleanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Great pics, especially the dolphins

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Lovely report and so pleased you both had a fantastic day at Sea World. I especially liked those pictures of Shamu showing just how big the creature is. We always sit right at the very back so the photos I take never show the scale that yours did.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:17 AM   #6
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

A lovely day at Sea World

Your evening meal sounds lovely - what a great find.

Tammy
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Great report with a lovely meal at the end of the day

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:04 AM   #8
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

fab piccies, glad you enjoyed seaworld
Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
The Fetherstons
DIS Veteran

Another great day Craig, lovely photos too

MY ICE BUDDY IS MICHELLE - SNOWYGIRLS
Me (35) DH Craig (37) DS Adam (7)

1980 Disney0ff Site 1993/7 Disney Offsite, 2001 Honeymoon ASMusic
2005/6 ASMovies, 2007 Pop Century 2008 CBR, 2009 Tuscany Villa
The Fetherstons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Another great day Craig.

I can't wait to go to Seaworld again (not long now )....I love it, we try to have two days there as I like to see the shows twice!

Great photos.

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

Oh what a great day and fab piccies

Claire
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #12
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

The wait to get to the big day seems like ages, but you must have been feeling so strange the whole time waiting. What a great day both had today though with such a great time at seaworld and then a wonderful meal out.

Susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:26 AM   #13
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Great update,we like Seaworld.Pics are great+that food sounded very tasty.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #14
cap'njack.
Totally in love with Lisa_C

Great report!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #15
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Another great day with fab photos

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: