Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Queenie
Mouseketeer
Will wear a lime green ribbon even if it will make her family think she's insane!
Gets her fashion inspiration in the potty!
I always hated showing my work

Queenie and Scott's - Honeymoon Trippie: Pre-Trip

Yeah yeah I know it's been a long time coming, so sue me!!! Now I'm pregnant and not allowed to work by DH I have too much time on my hands so here it finally is!! We begin the day after the wedding on the run down to the airport.

~~~~~

We woke up very early the morning after our wedding and I think it took a while for us to click exactly where we were and what was going on after such a stressful few days. Our suite looked like a tornado had ripped through a wedding shop and dropped it all in the room, everywhere there were balloons, confetti (thanks to some bridesmaids who persuaded the hotel management to allow them into the room when we were busy elsewhere and proceeded to cover it in stuff) and flowers, not to mention my frivolously expensive dress now slung over the back of a chair.

At some point we dragged ourselves out of bed and went downstairs to breakfast. Our wedding coordinator is also the restaurant manager of the hotel so he rushed over to greet us and seated us with a number of Scott’s family who were dining out in the conservatory. As I ate, I noticed random members of our party arriving and leaving the buffet, it was like a who’s who of all the people I’d ever met. The buffet was pretty good, just the standard hotel breakfast fare but enough to satisfy.

Back in the room after breakfast, my phone rang. Right up until the last minute (literally the wedding morning) I’d been desperately trying to organise having my bouquet freeze dried but couldn’t get hold of any companies who would do it at a reasonable cost. Finally, the most reasonably priced company was calling, apologising all the way that the email had gone down and she couldn’t get hold of me by phone. I talked with her and discovered the studio was not much of a diversion from our route to the airport that afternoon. We agreed that I’d drop off my bouquet later on that day. Now the long process of packing the cars and getting everyone to their respective destinations occurred. A number of the cars were parked at Scott’s parents’ house on the other side of Lincoln and due to the car crash the night before the wedding, one car was now unusable. It took almost an hour to get everything together (cake, flowers, presents, balloons, clothes and far more) not to mention Scott having to remove a number of the stuff which had been thoughtfully attached all over our car by the best man and ushers and now posed a health and safety risk!

With some very careful packing of people and things (think a very hard level of Tetris!), the cars set off on the 20 minute trip up the bypass although a few people chose to set off earlier as they had long drives.

At Linda and Graham’s everyone enjoyed a few lazy hours relaxing and saying their goodbyes. We also used the time to check in online and got ourselves some great seats on the plane. Linda had prepared a small spread of sandwiches and snacks in advance which was appreciated by everyone. It was lovely to see everyone relaxing together and children from both our families playing together in the back garden.

Gradually through the afternoon, all our guests headed off home across the country, most taking with them huge chunks of wedding cake to distribute locally and also the pumpkin centrepieces which needed homes for the time they would last. Of course the kids were more than happy to take home the balloons. Eventually Scott and I were the only ones left. We helped clear our wedding presents and other bits into the spare room where they’d remain for the duration of our honeymoon and Graham checked he had all the suits to return them to the hire shop the following day. They then handed us our wedding present, a stunning bauble they’d bought at WDW the previous year and carefully stored for almost 12 months.

We carefully packaged it and they put it with the rest of our gifts to take home after the honeymoon. Finally we packed the car with our suitcases, took a large slice of wedding cake to eat before we flew, carefully placed my bouquet on the back seat and set off, not before a tearful goodbye to Scott’s parents who were now very emotional.

We drove uneventfully down to Stanstead airport except for one bathroom break where I was reduced to tears by wedding gift wrap in the service station shop – this would be a theme for a couple of days as the wedding blues set in. Stanstead was the location of our flower preservation studio and we arrived pretty much on time and took the bouquet in. The lady spent time showing me the different options I had in regards to the preservation including glass domes and deep set frames. Luckily the preservation process was the same for them all and would take several weeks so I had time to decide, I took the brochure on honeymoon with me and eventually chose a large glass dome with a mahogany base and cream silk.

*Not part of the trip but I guess people might be interested, here's before and after shots of my bouquet*

Once the flowers had been safely delivered, we set off on the final leg to our hotel at Crawley near Gatwick. We’d chosen the Aurora as we’d stayed there the previous year and loved it, plus it was very cheap!

We checked in and almost immediately left to find the local TGI Fridays. I’d already been sent my birthday vouchers so we used one to get some free cocktails. Our waiter asked us if we were celebrating anything special that night, we told him we’d got married the day before and were setting off on honeymoon the next day. A few minutes later he reappeared with a bunch of balloons to decorate our table.

The food was ok, nothing spectacular and we soon headed back to the hotel to try and relax ready for a long day on the Monday.

WDW: Sept 18th - Oct 3rd 2004 (Summer Bay - Off Site) First ever Disney holiday!
DLP: Dec 30th - Jan 1st 2004/5 (Explorer's Hotel) Happy New Year!

WDW: Sept 30th - Oct 14th 2005 (Summer Bay - Offsite) Turning 19 with the Mouse!

WDW: Sept 23rd - Oct 7th 2006 (Summer Bay - Offsite) First Trip with Mum!

Vegas, DL & WDW: Oct 8th - Oct 24th 2007 (Beach Club Villas) - My 21st & our first trip to Disneyland!
DLP: Sept 7th - Sept 9th 2008 (Sequoia Lodge) - Hen & Stag Parties!
WDW: Sept 22nd - Oct 6th 2008 (WLV, Wonder, AKV, BCV) - Our Honeymoon!
My DIS I.C.E. Buddy is Wils
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your wedding and on the patter of tiny feet! Really looking forward to hearing (and seeing) how your honeymoon went. Your flowers look amazing - what a fantastic way to remind yourself of your special day!
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

I have been waiting for this since October, so pleased to see a wonderful start to your honeymoon.

The flowers do look so lovely well worth stopping off to sort them out on the way to the airport.

Looking forward to reading more

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:02 AM   #4
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Really enjoyed reading your pretrippie, looking forward to Day One.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:37 AM   #5
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Fab start Sophie, im looking forward to hearing more

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:17 AM   #6
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

love your bouquet ! great start to trippie
Old 03-15-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
Natasha&Matt
I fancy Prince Eric

Congrats hun The bouquet is beautiful how amazin is that!
Looking forward to reading more and seein lots... of pics pleaseeeeeee

May 2005 All star Movies May 2008 Pop Century September 2009 Newport Bay Club
May 2010 Enclave Suites/Hard Rock Hotel Club/Pop Century

Natasha&Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

I've read your pre-trippie and first day in the wrong order. Never mind, they are great, looking forward to reading more.
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great report looking forward to more, your flowers look amazing
Old 03-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

I'm reading along now, too, and enjoying your honeymoon. How generous of you to share this special time.

Take care of yourself and that precious baby.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Excellent start Sophie. Off to read next installment

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
jns
Tries hard to get the jelly off Jaffa Cakes without breaking it!!!!

Thanks for sharing
and congratulatios again on the baby
remeber to take care of your self

Love the wedding photo
2007 Animal Kingdom , Disney Magic , Saratoga Springs,NYC
2008 DLRP Santa Fa , Beachclub Villas, Wilderness Lodge ,Disney Magic and New York

2009 BayLake Towers, Beachclub Villas and Disney Wonder 2011 Disney Magic, Mediterranean Cruise, Old Key West2012 Los Vegas, Grand Calf and San Fran 2013 Disney fantasy , Wilderness Lodge and Vero Beach

We now know the secert too!! Trip report 2006 Trip Report 2008 WDW / DCL
jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:19 AM   #13
cap'njack.
Totally in love with Lisa_C

Looking forward to reading the rest of your trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: