Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
queenmum2
Mouseketeer

Just back...any questions?

I will be writing up our restaurant reviews, but I won't likely do a formal trip report. I WILL be happy to share our experiences if you have any questions. For starters:

Weatherwise - the first 4 days of our trip were blissfully cool - low 80s or so, owing to afternoon thunderstorms which marred our plans only slightly. There was much more in the "plus" column than the "minus" column as far as rain was concerned. The next 4 days were terribly hot and humid.

Crowdwise - most days were really fine, crowdwise. We've had less crowds in October but for the most part, crowds were manageable. The exception was the day EPCOT had nighttime EMH. We had forgotten this tidbit - actually had our days mixed up and thought EH was the next day. The crowds were THICK in Future World, all the FP for the major rides were distributed by the afternoon, it was pit-to-pit people. That was Tuesday, June 9th. There may have been another explanation for the crowds, I don't know. But when we went back on Wednesday, June 10th, there were far fewer people.

Transportation - had some frustrating moments with the Disney transportation system. I hate that it can take an hour or longer to get places due to sharing busses and/or no busses. We had a long wait for a bus at TL - the Poly/Contemporary bus actually came and passed by after we had been waiting about 20 minutes. And it was another 20 minutes or so before another bus came. When it DID come, we still had to stop at Contemporary before our stop at the Poly. From the time we left the park, to when we got to the hotel, figuring in the wait time for the bus, it was about an hour and a half. Whenever we'd be waiting for a bus, we'd see loads of WL busses and it seemed Port Orleans was fairly prompt with busses; but the Poly busses didn't seem to run as often.

Finally, a report on several "un-Disneylike" encounters:

1. As we were entering the MK one evening for the 10:00 Wishes, we were treated to a mother VERY loudly berating her 12-13 year old son in the tunnel area under the train station, cursing at him. My kids were stunned. DH turned around and looked back and said "she's doing a lot more than yelling". I hoped that there were "bouncers" trained to deal with this kind of domestic issue.

2. A few yards in, we got behind a dad loudly telling his son that he wasn't going to "...take that S&$T" from him anymore.

3. While waiting for our buzzer to go off at WCC, we witnessed a young family entering, apparently without reservations. They were told that the next available seating would be 9:30. Mom pulls the kids out of the restaurant, yelling "Where do you get food around here? WHAT THE H$^^". Again, my daughter got this stricken look on her face! The grandmother next to us said "Well, that wasn't very Disney-like!". Of course, that line ("What the H***") was a quiet joke between DH and I whenever we were the least bit exasperated.

4. On our last day, we had two episodes in Captain Cooks. We had gotten there in the thick of the morning rush - right about 9:40 or so. The touch screen ordering does speed the ordering process, however, there are still cashier lines that back up for a ways. DD said going in that she wanted a cinnamon roll. So after we used the touch screen for the hot meals, I took her over to the pastry area. On first glance, I thought it was self-serve; however, I realized that there was a cashier and there was a lady in line ahead of us, so I stood in line behind her to wait on her to finish up - then I could see if it was self-serve or whether the cashier had to get it. The lady in line behind us came around, opened the case, and got the LAST cinnamon roll. Even as my young daughter was saying "No - I don't want anything besides a cinnamon roll." and the lady behind the counter said there were no more in the back, that lady stood right behind us with the last cinnamon roll on her plate. Seemed kind of rude to me...but the next thing was worse, still.

There is still some confusion about the DP credits. At Cooks, for example - as we found with Sunshine Seasons - one gets TWO beverages with the breakfast meal, maybe it's like that for breakfast everywhere. But invariably, some guy or gal gets to the register and has to run back to the case for another drink. Hey, that was US the first time, so we were pretty patient about it. ANyway, we'd already been through the line once to get our hot meals paid for. DD decided she really wanted a breakfast croissant sandwich (she went to order it earlier, but the touch screen showed a ciabbata sandwich; but we saw someone with a croissant so we knew then they had them). So DH took her back to the counter and helped her order a croissant. While waiting in line to pay, he remembered that she needed two drinks so he sent her back to the case. He was just approaching the cashier for his turn and she wasn't back RIGHT THEN with her second drink. The man behind him said in a loud, gruff voice "I'm ready to order NOW". DH remarked "You have to wait a minute". The man gave him a steely glare and replied that he'd be sitting outside -insinuating that he would be ready to fight him over waiting an extra 20 seconds in line. When DH came back to the table and relayed the story, I looked over and the man was STILL glaring at him. Scary! I wonder what that man does when he has to wait in line for attractions?

Anway, a few crabby people notwithstanding, we had a wonderful time. We got to do ALMOST everything we set out to do. We even got to ride TSM THREE separate times and Soarin', Test Track and Mission Space twice. Can't complain about that, right?

Tracie

October 2003 - Poly
October 2006 - WL
May 2007 - BWI
Dec 2007 - WL
Jun 2009 - Poly
March 2010 - WL (surprise 13th birhday trip for DS)
June 2011 - Yacht Club
January 2013 - WL (surprise 13th birthday trip for DD)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: