Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Fred, Wilma and Family do Disney - Day 12

Fred, Wilma and Family do Disney Day 12 – Hooray for Hollywood

Tuesday 22nd April

Firstly, I have two apologies to offer:-

Apology number 1 – I have been unbelievably slack in finishing these trip reports. I offer no excuses, other than the fact that I was finding it mega depressing to keep moaning on about the in-laws – oh, and the fact that I was incredibly busy at work and couldn’t seem to find time to write. Other than that, no valid excuses and I only hope that my few readers haven’t got fed up of waiting and deserted me completely.

Apology number 2 – for some reason, I seem to have only one photo taken today – and I have absolutely no idea where I took it so if anyone can shed some light on it, I would be grateful

Anyway, with a promise to get these trip reports finished by the end of the week and without further ado, it’s on to Day 12.

Today we were off to Hollywood Studios, the park formerly known as MGM Studios. It’s amazing that we say ‘Oh, I’m always going to call it MGM’ and now, writing this trip report the name ‘Hollywood Studios’ feels almost natural. I still preferred MGM though, for what it’s worth.

We were up and about early, as usual, and raided the fridge for some left over apple danishes, croissants and fruit. Well, me and the kids did. Doreen and Charles had their usual 3-course breakfast! We enjoyed our makeshift breakfast out on the balcony waving to the odd boat and bird that passed by.

Sian was suffering somewhat, due to the effects of the sunburn from the previous day at Aquatica. Being the over-cautious Mum I am, I made her wear 3 t-shirts, a jumper and a coat so no more damage could be done

We arrived at HS just after 9 – well, we couldn’t possibly break tradition and get to a park before opening, could we? Gary, Sian and I raced on ahead to Tower of Terror, leaving the non-riders to lag behind and collect a stroller for Daniel, who had temporarily lost the use of his legs (since discovering it was much more fun to be pushed around in a stroller all day – oh, to be a 5 year old). We got fast passes for Tower of Terror, then rode Rock n’ Roller Coaster. Then it was straight on to Tower of Terror. To be honest, I could have stayed and ridden both of these rides all day but we had to make the effort for the rest of the party.

So it was off to the Backlot tour, which Gary and I had done before but was new to the others. We arrived and went through just as the first demonstration of special effects was starting and, before long, we were on the tram and headed round to see the props and Catastrophe Canyon. Sian freaked out a bit when the fire effects started – she has an irrational fear of fire – but had more to worry about when the wall of water came hurtling toward her

We thought the in-laws and Daniel would enjoy Muppet Vision so sent them off to see it while Gary, Sian and I took the opportunity to have another go on Tower of Terror with the remaining fast passes (there are definitely benefits to having 4 non-riders in your party).

By now, it was getting on for lunch time and we had reservations for 50s Prime Time, which Gary and I had been to back in August 07 and had great fun. Unfortunately, the experience wasn’t quite so great this time – our waitress wasn’t really getting into the whole thing, for a start, and the food didn’t seem quite as great as the last time either (although Sian’s notes, which I am cribbing from, describe her meal as ‘awesomely delicious’ so maybe it was just me).

We left 50s PT and headed to the theatre to watch Beauty and the Beast. For some inexplicable reason, this show never fails to make me cry. This time was no different – there is just something so special about it and it remains my favourite show in any of the parks.

From there, it was off to the Great Movie Ride, which was OK except our guide was definitely not English and, although he was attempting to speak English, it was no version of the English language I’ve ever heard.

Everybody was starting to flag by now but I insisted on a quick tour of the shops – no visit to Hollywood Studios is complete without an hour spent in Villains in Vogue. I bought a Mickey Mouse towel, to Gary’s complete disgust – ‘It’s white, how long do you think it’s going to stay white’ – and found a lovely picture frame but, unfortunately didn’t buy it – a decision which I would live to regret.

A quick aside – am I the only person who sees things I really like and doesn’t buy them, thinking I can come back and get it another time or I might find something similar which I prefer? Then, inevitably, I never get a chance to go back and buy said item and spend weeks after the trip regretting it.

As part of that aside, when visiting MGM (as it was then) last August, I saw a gorgeous watch in one of the shops. Again, the careful shopper side of me kicked in and I didn’t buy it. After listening to me moan on about it for ages after we returned home, Gary said he would buy it for me on this trip. Hands up those of you who have already guessed that I did not manage to find the exact same watch – or anything I liked as much – hence I came home watchless.

Anyway, back to the story. We headed for the exit, returned the stroller and caught the bus back to Old Key West where we just had time for a quick change and freshen-up before heading to Outback for dinner.

We had to wait quite a while for a table but enjoyed a drink outside in the sunshine while we waited. The meal was lovely. Nobody except Sian wanted dessert so, as we weren’t far from Publix, we decided we would get some desserts from there to enjoy later.

Gary pulled up outside and I ran in and bought an apple tart and some cheesecake. Yum!

Back at the villa, with Daniel tucked up in bed, we settled down to watch a film on the TV. It was at this point I realized that I missed being able to stick my jammies on and curl up on the sofa – with 7 of us in the villa, there was barely enough room for everyone to sit down and, more often than not, I ended up on the floor. Sian decided she would have a piece of cheesecake and, after asking if anyone else wanted any, helped herself to a piece from the fridge. No sooner had she sat down then it started ‘Are you eating again young lady?’, ‘All you’ve done on this holiday is eat’. It took every ounce of self control that I had not to point out to Reeny that this was a holiday and that’s what we like to do. Instead, I gathered myself together and politely told Reeny that she was eating her dessert that she hadn’t been able to have earlier – then, to reiterate my point, I went to the fridge and got a massive piece of apple pie, ate it and took myself off to bed, quietly seething.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Quote:
A quick aside – am I the only person who sees things I really like and doesn’t buy them, thinking I can come back and get it another time or I might find something similar which I prefer? Then, inevitably, I never get a chance to go back and buy said item and spend weeks after the trip regretting it.
I know exactly what you mean - it's normally T-shirts or sweatshirts with me. I'll see it in a shop at the beginning of the trip but decide to see what else is around and then either forget where I saw it or when I go back they don't have it in my size so I spend the rest of the holiday going around all the shops in WDW trying to find it.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
[
Sian decided she would have a piece of cheesecake and, after asking if anyone else wanted any, helped herself to a piece from the fridge. No sooner had she sat down then it started ‘Are you eating again young lady?’, ‘All you’ve done on this holiday is eat’. It took every ounce of self control that I had not to point out to Reeny that this was a holiday and that’s what we like to do. Instead, I gathered myself together and politely told Reeny that she was eating her dessert that she hadn’t been able to have earlier – then, to reiterate my point, I went to the fridge and got a massive piece of apple pie, ate it and took myself off to bed, quietly seething.
lets make a pact to eat as much as we can on our trip !

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalielongstaff View Post
lets make a pact to eat as much as we can on our trip !
Ooh, definitely - I don't need asking twice
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Joh, you must have the patience of a saint to have put up with your in-laws, I wouldn't want to holiday with any of my family (except my girls of course )

Could I ask a quick question ? ~ Will you and Nat do a drinkypoo trip report like Matt & Debs ?

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
saratogagirl
I need books, and wine and Ian in order to survive
I couldnt wipe bottoms of strangers
I am strangely refreshed this morning ... and I am off to the butchers soon

get the cheesecake and pie down your throats and to hell with what the in-laws say, holidays are for eating, drinking, having fun and slobbing in your jammies when you want to - so there !!
Old 11-15-2008, 03:21 AM   #7
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogagirl View Post
get the cheesecake and pie down your throats and to hell with what the in-laws say, holidays are for eating, drinking, having fun and slobbing in your jammies when you want to - so there !!
Here Here!!! Couldn't agree more Jules!

I am not surprised you were fed up with the in laws after comments like that!! I would have been tempted to put the chessecake in her face!

As for the shopping Joh, I used to be like that but after missing out on things I am now the opposite I buy everything!! I am of the opinion that if I change my mind I can always sell it on ebay.....although I never do!

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:23 AM   #8
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Thanks for posting and I am going to learn from your mistakes. If I see something I will buy it there and then.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:36 AM   #9
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Just read another trip report and a similar photo was in it, looks like it was taken at Hollywood Studios in that section that you walk through to get to the trams that it full of props, to go on to Catastrophe Canyon.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #10
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

Hi Joh
Lovin' catching up on your report.
I would have thought you would have learned your lesson by now, if you see something you love you have just got to buy it.
You know if you don't you will regret it. Likewise if you do buy it you will only find it cheaper elsewhere. But at least you will have it.
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I always see things I want to buy but don't as I know DF will only let me buy a certain amount so I wait till near the end to buy my favourite stuff.

Reading your report makes me worry about my wedding trip but I won't be staying with my family so it should be ok.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #12
Latte Lover
in charge of the credit cards and plotting quickest routes to the shopping malls

So glad you decided to finish you report, Joh. What a shame your MIL feels the need to say mean things. Maybe she's just jealous because Sian can eat whatever she likes and still be a slimmy!

I have just noticed that Tony read this report 4 DAYS AGO and never told me you had posted it!!!

1975 Royal Plaza 1997 Master's Inn Kissimee 1999 Clarion Universal 2001 Howard Johnson Maingate East 2003 Econolodge 2005 Howard Johnson Maingate West 2006 Our Timeshare at Sheraton Vistana Resort 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 Sheraton Vistana(May), Terrace Ridge (Aug)Nov 2009 Barefoot'n' in the keys, Kissimmee2010 Cumbrian LakesOct 2011 Sheraton & Disney MagicNov 2012 Florida Keys, The Sheraton, and OKW
Latte Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #13
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte Lover View Post
I have just noticed that Tony read this report 4 DAYS AGO and never told me you had posted it!!!
I DID, you just don't listen to me.
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #14
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

I always regret not buying normally coz I think i could get it cheaper somewhere else but never do. I am going to try really hard and buy it from now on especially when on holiday.

I love tower of terror too

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:42 AM   #15
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Oh Joh,i take my hat off to you with your patience with the in-laws.There was no need for a comment like that to such a young girl.
I always do the 'have a look around first before i buy' and i never end up getting it,so i always buy straight away now.
So glad you have finished your report.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: