Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2008, 11:49 PM   #16
GBShorts
VMK Community Leader
Knows that all the boys want her

I'm going to have to read this one. :D can't wait to hear more!
Old 11-16-2008, 07:50 AM   #17
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Welcome everyone!

Sorry it's taken so long to get it going. I have to fight DS12 for the computer since he's trying to finish all of his makeup work before the deadline, plus I'm playing taxi for basketball, karate and school.

Okay, so let's get this going!

Thursday October 23rd.

Dropped off DD (R) and DS (J) at school, took DS (O) to work with me. O is usually at school on Thursdays, but he had Fall Break.

This is where my first screw up came into play. DH works nights and when I had filled out his vacation request form, I forgot to put the night before we left on vacation, meaning DH had to work 10pm-7am the night before we left. Thankfully, he ran and dropped off Duke (our boxer) to Grandma and Grandpa's house, then came home and had time to take a nap. So insted of O being able to stay home with Daddy, he had to come do payroll with Mommy. Thankfully there was a volunteer there, and she kept O entertained while I worked.

This was our first payroll with a new company and I was stressed it was going to take forever to verify all the info, but our sales rep came in and helped me breeze through it, and I was out the door by noon. O and I came home and loaded the van, woke up DH, then headed out to pick up R and J from school....early. J has study hall last period on Tues and Thurs, so we thought we'd get them out early and get a headstart.

Got the kids, their mounds of homework, and squished everyone into the already full van. We were off!

Less than 2 hours later, O was complaining he had to pee, J and R were hungry, so we stopped. I was not happy. It was going to take FOREVER if we had to stop every 2 hours. Ate a quick bite at Arby's topped off the gas tank and got to Louisville in time to sit in rush hour traffic. And sit some more.

Finally through Louisville, we headed on through Nashville and made our hotel stop for the night.

This is when we start to realize it's going to be one of "those" vacations
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #18
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Walk into the Sleep Inn and Suites, where THREE months ago I made reservations for a king suite with a rollaway bed. The lady at the front desk proceeds to tell me they are overbooked and they can offer me a room with 2 double beds.

"Will a rollaway fit?"
"Nope"
"Um, we have 5 people"
"Well, we can give you extra blankets and someone can sleep on the floor"
"Um, no" (ewwww)
"Let me check in the person behind you and then I'll call my manager"

Okay, first of all, I've just driven 6 hours, I was here first, you tell me I don't have a room and then you want me to wait on another person???????

"Hi, Bob. The Griswalds are here, we don't have the suites and she doesn't want the double bed room. Nope, there is 5 of them. Miss? He says he'll give you the double room for half price"

"NO"

"She said No. Okay. Bye"

"Please just tell me where there is a hotel around here that I can get a suite"

"I'll call Fairfield Inn and see what they have"

As she's on the phone with Fairfield Inn, I'm frantically digging in my purse for my cell phone to call DH in the van to tell him what's going on. No phone. Run outside to the van.

"please tell me my Blackberry is in here"

"nope, I've been trying to call you and it's not ringing"

"Okay, think. I had the phone at home, took it out of my purse to call the payroll people to correct mistake on payroll reports, and LEFT MY PHONE ON THE COMPUTER DESK. My phone, with all our address book, phone numbers, confirmation numbers etc in it. My phone that I changed the ringtone to the theme music from the Boo To You Parade for the week. My life? At home? No hotel room? Can we just turn around and go home? Please?"

okay, so back inside, the lady is still just asking the Fairfield Inn person "What's the rate?" Her eyes bug out, she chokes back some vomit and says "Okay." She fills out a paper, hands it to me, and gives me directions to the Fairfield Inn. I ask her the rate, she says "I don't want to tell you." I say "I need to know if I need to find a place cheaper because I can't afford to pay a ton for a hotel room for one night" and she says "Why? We're paying for it since we screwed up."

interesting twist.

So, back in the van, across the street to the hotel, check in, find out the time is an hour different and we have an hour to swim in the pool before bed Pool is freezing cold, I'm a stressball, so I hit the fitness center to run on the treadmill while DH gets the kids to bed.

J had the younger ones convinced he had to sleep on the rollaway bed standing up

By the time I get to the room, O is asleep and everyone is watching TV in our apparently very expensive hotel suite. Quick shower, hit the bed. Quiet. Bliss.

Until I hear the rain. The POURING DOWN RAIN. That continued basically all the way to Florida. 12 hours of rain.

Want to see our beautiful mountain scenery picture?

While were driving through all this rain, DH's cell phone rings. It's my ex husband. DS15 lives with him in a town a few hours away from where I live

Small side note: We have joint custody of our sons, DS15 and DS12. They lived with me for the first few years, then when the oldest went to middle school we switched so the boys would have their dad available. DS12 was not doing well, so he has since moved back with us, and DS15 still lives with dad. We have him all summer with us, and he works where I work over the summer, so we get to drive to work together, eat lunch together etc.

Anyhow, DH hands me the phone (I'm driving) and ex says "Just so you know, everyone is okay."

Old 11-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #19
Nohal
DIS Veteran

Waiting for MORE! Did you ever find out how much that room cost?

1973 Off Site - 1979 Cont - 1990 CBR/Cont - 1991 CBR - 1992 CBR - 1993 POR- 1994 ASSp - 1995 ASSp - 1996 ASMu - 1997 ASMo - 1998 DL/ASSp - 2002 Pop/ASMo - 2003 ASMo- 2004 ASMo - 2005 ASMo -2006 ASMo- 2007 ASSp - 2008 ASMo - 2009 ASMo - 2010 ASMo - 2011 ASMo - 2012 ASMo -2013 ASMo - 2014 ASMo
Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #20
twinmom
Mouseketeer

I have to say that your son convincing the younger ones that he had to sleep standing up is one of the funniest things I have heard. It is a classic.

I would have gone crazy if I had forgotten my phone.

You have to hurry with the next installment. Don't you love it when people start a conversation with "Don't worry, everythings fine." You immediately know everything is not.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #21
Seewhatimesdone
Every thread should have a fist shaker

Sheesh, what a rough start!
Captain Hook has branded me! Has a severe addiction to Zebra Domes
Old 11-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #22
Poohtigeey
DIS Veteran

Wow! I'm hooked. Can't wait to read more. This is why I like to read completed reports! Can't stand the suspense! Please continue soon! You have a beautiful family. My husband also works 3rd shift. I was so upset when they put him on that shift, but it really has worked well since we've started our family. The kids get a good amount of Daddy time. We live in Ohio so your drive sounds about like ours last December. Tons of rain and wind. Except we drove straight thru. UGH. I hate to think about it. The fog at night in Tennessee was so bad. It was pretty scarey.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #23
addictedtothemouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
J had the younger ones convinced he had to sleep on the rollaway bed standing up

Quote:
"Just so you know, everyone is okay."
Doesn't that phrase make your heart just drop to your feet?
Old 11-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #24
msreneau
Work like you don't need the money, dance like no one is watching and love like you've never been hurt!

Hey Shell, I saw your pic and I said "OMG" Honey, I went to high school with her!! Finish up that rep ort!
Old 11-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #25
MEK
DIS Veteran

wow - you are off to a interesting start! We Dis'ers love drama on vacation, so on with the show, please!

p.s. nice family pic

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #26
mom2aandj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
Anyhow, DH hands me the phone (I'm driving) and ex says "Just so you know, everyone is okay."

eeek! I'm hooked, can't wait for your next installment. Perfectly magical vacation stories are fun, but yours sounds hysterical!
Mar 2014
BLT: Mar 2014
CBR: Oct. 2009
Universal
PBH: Oct. 2010
Old 11-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #27
wvdislover
DIS Veteran

OK, Chelley, it's been 6 hours now since you last posted on your report! Where are you, and how could you leave us hanging like that!?! Why did the ex call, and did you get someone to ship your phone to you? I would DIE without my cell phone!
July '89--Fort Wilderness; Feb '93--Dolphin, POR; Feb '95--Marriott World Center; Feb '97--Marriott World Center, POR; Feb '99--Marriott World Center; April '02--AS Movies; Feb '03--Gaylord Palms, Hard Rock Hotel; Feb '04--Dolphin, Hotel at Florida Mall; Feb '06--POR, Dolphin; June '06--POP; Sept '07--AKL (a dream come true!!!); Feb '08--Coronado Springs Resort/Marriott World Center; Sept '08--Beach Club/Disney Wonder (our first Disney Cruise!!!); Feb '09--Disneyland; Sept '09--Beach Club; Sept '10--Beach Club (3D Travel's Ultimate Field Trip); Sept '11--All-Star Music Family Suites (3D Travel's Ultimate Field Trip); Sept '12--Art of Animation (3D Travel's Ultimate Field Trip for Homeschoolers)
Old 11-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #28
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohal View Post
Waiting for MORE! Did you ever find out how much that room cost?
We didn't. We never saw a bill or anything. I should check on the internet to see how much it was

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmom View Post
I have to say that your son convincing the younger ones that he had to sleep standing up is one of the funniest things I have heard.
See, I said in my introductions that J is our class clown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seewhatimesdone View Post
Sheesh, what a rough start!
OH, and it gets more fun as we go along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohtigeey View Post
We live in Ohio so your drive sounds about like ours last December. Tons of rain and wind. Except we drove straight thru. UGH.
Last time we drove straight through there and back. Going down was okay, because we left IN at 4am so we didn't do a lot of night driving. Coming home we were just so tired it was horrible. We stopped both ways this time, and decided we liked going straight through because stopping to stay seems to take FOREVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtothemouse View Post
Doesn't that phrase make your heart just drop to your feet?
What is really bad is when you are 9 hours away from the whatever it is that someone had to call and say "first of all, everyone is okay!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by msreneau View Post
Hey Shell, I saw your pic and I said "OMG" Honey, I went to high school with her!! Finish up that rep ort!
Hey, I know you too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
wow - you are off to a interesting start! We Dis'ers love drama on vacation, so on with the show, please!
I thought we Dis'ers love magical vacations minus drama? At least, that's what I was going for

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2aandj View Post
eeek! I'm hooked, can't wait for your next installment. Perfectly magical vacation stories are fun, but yours sounds hysterical!
Hang on then. It gets better!
Old 11-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #29
nat1234
Mouseketeer

That has got to be the worst phrase ever invented in the english language. You immediately know something is wrong. Well report on, don't leave us hanging.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #30
goofyboyzmom
DIS Veteran

Small side note: We have joint custody of our sons, DS15 and DS12. They lived with me for the first few years, then when the oldest went to middle school we switched so the boys would have their dad available. DS12 was not doing well, so he has since moved back with us, and DS15 still lives with dad. We have him all summer with us, and he works where I work over the summer, so we get to drive to work together, eat lunch together etc.

So glad you clarified this, I was wondering where the 6th person was when you were saying there were only 5 at the hotel!!!!
November/December 2004 - 1 Night All-Sports/7-Day Disney Magic/3-Nights Dixie Landings
October 2005 - 1st Stay at Saratoga Springs as DVC Members
November 2006 - Saratoga Springs for Thanksgiving!!!
November/December 2007 - Saratoga Springs
April 2008 - Port Orleans-Riverside
November/December 2009 - Saratoga Springs
November 2011 - Saratoga Springs
November/December 2013 - Saratoga Springs

Me DH DS DS DS Ranger

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: