Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
ILuvCrush
DIS Veteran

Mom needs a Break... so I'm going ALONE! PTR *NOW W/ PICS!*

Hi everyone!!

I'm going to warn you now... I'm not funny, interesting, nor do I have any writing abilities what-so-ever! but I need a place to release my excitement about my upcoming SOLO trip in October!!

I love reading TRs and PTRs of everybody elses trip so I thought I'd give it a whirl...mind you--if anyone's actually there---that I'm not promising much

This trip started off in a kind of wierd way...

Let's go back in time to November 2006 shall we.....

I planned and planned for over a year to take my beloved children to WDW for the very first time. I had been there a few times before, most recently in '99 with DH as a 2nd honeymoon (since we didn't have a 1st honeymoon...we felt it was about time at the 5yr mark) But this trip was for THEM!!! No price was too high..no snack was too sugary...no character line was too long!!!! I was going to be the BEST MOMMY in the HISTORY of MAN!!!!!

Well fast forward to the trip... All 3 of my little angels were thrilled at the idea of going!! granted they really had NO idea what was truely in store, b/c they only had day trips to local family amusement parks to compare to
It took all of 1 day in the most magical place on earth for me to want to drop DS(11 at the time) off the top of ToT!!! He did everything in his POWER to make EVERYONE as miserable as possible!!

He refused to get on rides, watch shows/parades (with a few exceptions at AK, he did like it there pretty well) meet characters, be nice...anything.
The only thing he didn't argue about was eating...he's an 11yo boy..of course he'll EAT!!!
After we got home he announced that He never wants to go again..it's a waste of his life to go there

OK fast forward to 2007..... I wanted to go back to my happy place AND my Mom wanted to go too. my DDs LOVED the world and asked almost daily when we could go back again from the day we got home in 06
So the ALL GIRLS TRIP was born... for Feb 2008. It was the most fun I think I've ever had in WDW EVER!! We had a blast..we were all on the same page as far as what we all wanted to do...AND DDs and I are all of a comado mindset...do more... do now.... do faster!!!

Around New Years prior to the trip...my DS (now 12) gets it in his head that now he LIKED WDW. And is feeling left out b/c I'm going with DDs.
OK........
Now we (well I..b/c I love to travel) promised all of our kids that I'd take them somewhere special of their choosing when they turn 13................... Do you see where this is headed??????

Coming up next the 13th bday trip to WDW with DS...or NOT

Last edited by ILuvCrush; 08-24-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
ILuvCrush
DIS Veteran

Ok now for some pics of the cast of characters!!!!
I'm not in many b/c I'm the photographer and I like my camera and would hate to be the cause of a cracked lens!!

Ok here's the whole family

and here's us again..on the same trip

This is DD(7) at P&PP in Feb 08

here's BOTH DDs with Captain Jack also at P&PP

And a couple of my FAVORITE photos from our Feb trip

and of course:

Last edited by ILuvCrush; 08-24-2008 at 09:25 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
ILuvCrush
DIS Veteran

DS 13th Birthday Trip

Ok then!!

Now I'm all excited..why?
because DS finally realized he was a little snot on our last trip and wants to go again..with just me and DH so he can spend an unseemly amount of time at Epcot and AK...the 2 parks HE liked.
not to mention he planned to eat everything on creation in the process...
OK with me!! I like to eat!!

Now I get 2 trips to my happy place in the same year WOOHOOO!!!

We booked AKL b/c thats where DS wants to stay and Chef Mickeys...he picked everything...including taking the Autotrain (he won't fly), the rooms, the parks (including Sea World), the restaurants, the dates...we were waiting til June b/c he didn't want to miss school(wierd kid...I thought they all were into skipping school...)
Star Wars weekend plans..everything. I didn't care, I'd do anything to make him enjoy this trip.
It was my happy place...what could go wrong????

Well what went wrong is...DS decides in MAY... MAY!!! that now he DOESN'T want to go

WHHAAAAATTT??????? Is he crazy!!! I already PAID for this trip! I upgraded to an AP in Feb for this trip! We got our Autotrain tickets IN HAND for this trip!!!
What does he mean that he now DOESN'T want to go!!

Well first..I was going to MAKE him go. But he started acting like a crazy person..acting out, swearing at me and my mom (he was always above the board with my hubby around), just being a total PITA. I told him I don't HAVE to take him ANYWHERE!! His response was "WDW is stupid...I'm only going because YOU want to go I'd rather stay home and play playstation!!"
So plan B... me and DH go without him. The girls were already committed to camp for the week...why not drop DS ungrateful rump at DHs parents house and go have fun. Well nice thought, but the trip WAS to be for HIS bday..NOT for OUR enjoyment. Plus with the way his behavior was spiraling downward I didn't want to saddle my sweet inlaws with a MONSTER for a week!

So I cancelled the whole thing. It was a room only ressie so that was no problem...and did you know Amtrak's cancellation policy is full refund-10% up to 2 HOURS before you are to leave???
So I didn't financially loose out too much at least..but there went my chance to use that AP I bought in February.

Then guess what happened.....
DS reverts back to being his usual quiet, relatively easy to get along with self. We realized at that point that he started acting like a nutter because he KNOWS his Mamma wouldn't put up with that garbage long before I pulled the plug on the whole thing.... little stinker. Well I guess he wins this round...he certainly knows how to work my buttons.

Don't fret..up next.... Mamma Wins...after all!
Old 08-21-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
ILuvCrush
DIS Veteran

Needing a little R&R...soonest!

This PTR thing is sooo like my house...Iguess I'm talking to myself!!
that's OK I have 3 kids...I am sooooo used to that...even the dog does his best to ignore me!

I like to hear myself talk though...so you're stuck with me...err I'm stuck with me...err whatever.

Anyhoo... My job gets a bit stressful at times and I came to the conclusion that I needed a vacation...again....soonest....
Well I have that AP in my wallet...just sitting there, feeling lonely because I ain't using it...

So I says to DH "Hon, I'd like to take the girls back to WDW"
DH: "you were just there"
ME:"I know...but I need a break and they had so much fun and I want to go back"
DH:"well at least YOU got to go...I had to stay home..you cancelled the trip I was going on"
ME:"You can come too!!!" (thinking that he's gonna jump on it)
DH:'no..I don't think the girls should miss school for a vacation again this year...Wait til next year"
Now this is not the result I was planning on.... I'm used to Mamma making the decisions..and writing the check....at least when it comes to extracurricular activities and vacations....

Hmmmmm...now what am I going to do...he shot down my perfect getaway.
So I got to thinking...I'm not going to miss school, just the girls..why can't I go???? So I approached DH a couple weeks later...

ME:'hon, would you be OK with it if I went away a few days by myself? I need a bit of a break, and you know how psycho I get going into the holiday season
DH:'I guess that would be OK...what about the kids activities?"
ME: {now we're getting somewhere!} "on your days off you could run them and I'll make arrangements with my mom or your mom...remember she'll be retired by then...to take them. If they can't the girls will survive a missed dance class or gymnastics practice"DH:"Where are you going to go???"
ME:"Oh I don't know yet I wanted to bounce the idea off you first. I think maybe I'll do a shopping trip..I'd like to go in October..for my birthday and the Xmas club checks will be out by then..I can start on christmas shopping."
DONE DEAL!

Now I knew that I be doing that shopping at Epcot... but DH seemed to think I was going to go somewhere like Mall of America. So imagine his suprise when he came home the next day and I told him I had booked my vacation that day. When he looked at me suprised..

I said "you said it was OK"
And he was like..."of course its OK..I just figured it would take a while for you to plan since you've never been to Minnesota"

"ummmm I'm not going to MN ...I'm going to WDW!"

DH: "By yourself???"
ME: "sure! I don't get to shop when you guys are there!!! plus I have that AP that is going to waste...I may as well use it!!"
DH: "OK at least I know that you'll be safe and have fun there..I won't need to worry about you not knowing where you're going."

DH was and is very supportive of me going it alone..he's a smidge jealous though I think I'll have to buy him something extra nice! I have not however told my loving children that I'm going to WDW without them...I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it!
They know I'm going away on a MOM Vacation...and honestly don't seem all that concerned about where I'm going at all. For the time being I'm leaving it that way.

However I did feel guilty enough to get the girls tix to see the Jonas Brothers on Sept 2nd They are beyond excited...and thereby upholding my "Best Mommy in the History of Man" nomination!!! DS couldn't care less about the concert..so he's getting a new PS3 game he wants.
POOF!! the Guilt is Gone!

Coming up next.... to MNSSHP or not to MNSSHP!!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
chrisw127

DIS Veteran

You're living the dream, woman!

I'm jealous. Sometimes I feel lucky when I can go to the bathroom alone.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
amytheobald
Mouseketeer

Amazing, so amazing, I m jealous...I so want to go with DH by ourselves!

Our 2008 Surprise trip!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1877486
Old 08-22-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
ILuvCrush
DIS Veteran

I'm jealous. Sometimes I feel lucky when I can go to the bathroom alone.[/QUOTE]

You obviously have little ones!! Now that mine are getting a little older I get to go IN alone.....but the Divas demand entry, or my removal from the premise ASAP!! No relaxation there!!

Thanks for checking in!! My 1st reader! YAY!!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
momof2dizkids
Mouseketeer

Yay I'm 3rd reader,(that's posted).

Old 08-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
DexLabDeeDee
Hollywood, 1939. Amidst the glitz and glitter...the Hollywood Tower Hotel was a star in its own right.

Hello from Minnesota and the home of Mall of America. Speaking from personal experience, I would never choose MOA over WDW! Not that you were ever going to choose MOA, I just thought that I would put that out there for anyone on the fence

I am enjoying your trip report!

Planning a vacation for September! PTR
Old 08-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
ILuvCrush
DIS Veteran

AMY CHRIS MOMOF2 and JENNA

Thanks for joining me on my craziness!!! i'm so excited that your here!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
ILuvCrush
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=DexLabDeeDee;27082948]Hello from Minnesota and the home of Mall of America. Speaking from personal experience, I would never choose MOA over WDW! Not that you were ever going to choose MOA, I just thought that I would put that out there for anyone on the fence

I really would like to go to MOA sometime....my older Diva DD would have a better time accepting me going to WDW without her than for me to leave her behind on that trip!!

Remember that I had told the kiddos that I'd take them somewhere special at 13yo??? Yeah..she wants to go to PARIS to go SHOPPING
You gotta love a girl with priorities!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
ILuvCrush
DIS Veteran

to MNSSHP or not to MNSSHP

I guess the title says it all huh???

My dates for upcoming escape from reality trip are October 13 (mon) til October 18th(sat).

Saturday is pretty much a wash b/c I'll be getting ME probably around 8am for 11am flight back north. So I needed to come up with a general Itinerary..in case I want to do some ADRs.

1st order of business...do I really want to do the MNSSHP?? There's 2 dates while I'm there..the 13th and the 16th. HMMMMMM..... Initially the reason that I wanted to go in Oct with the girls was so we COULD do the party...but now they aren't going.... THANKS DAD!!

So do I really want to go by myself to something I KNOW they'd absolutely LOVE to do??? I don't know.
It does sound like fun... we did the P&PP in Feb and it was awesome!!!
My I'll be ALONE!!!! I'm not any fun BY MYSELF!!!! Am I????

Well...I'll put that on the backburner for awhile and noodle it.....

When I made my ressies...I booked All Star Sports...
I know I know....not the MOM IN GLORIOUS PARADISE sorta place huh???
Let me tell you why before you faint!!

I'M CHEAP!!

OK, not scrounging for quarters in the phonebooth cheap. And when it comes to the chitlins...I'm a downright free-for-all spender!
But I KNOW me... there is no way I'm going to WDW and hanging out at the resort..its NOT gonna happen! I hate to swim..so even the pool isn't going to draw me in! Why should I spend extra $$$ for a nicer resort?
I've stayed a ASSports w/ DH on our 2nd honeymoon trip..It was fine. I picked Sports over Music and movies..solely b/c it's the 1st bus stop!!!

Well, my decision to stay at ASSports lasted ummmmm....
1 week! Then I changed it to ASMu. Why you ask? Only cause its the value resort I haven't tried yet...and I thought i'd check it out!! I'm also hoping that since, in general, it's the most boring theme of the 3...it won't be quite as crowded!!! I'd LOVE to try out AKL or Beach Club... but not this time. We're going as a family again next year, so I'll splurge on a nicer room, when we can ALL enjoy it!!

OK Itinerary Time!

The only thing I know for sure is that I'm booked to do the Keys to the kingdom tour on Weds 10/15...at 8:30am
I am really excited about that!! I've always wanted to try a tour...and I debated between KTTK and the Backstage Safari one. I think I'd like them both...but although DH may enjoy the BS tour..I don't think I could get him to do KTTK. So that pretty much sealed the deal. I also have an ADR for Tonys that night. I've wanted to try it, but I've always refrained b/c the kids like character meals...and Tonys just isn't a great deal with the DDP. Since I'm travelling sans the dining plan...I figured it's a good time to try it out.

Has any one been there recently?? I looked at the menu on Allearsnet...I love chix parm...is it any good? Is there anything that I should try since I'll be by myself...suggestions??? What do you think about the MNSSHP? should I? shouldn't I???

Paula
Old 08-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
mrsschlep
BL II -Purple Team
DIS Addict

i am so jealous... i am dreaming of the day I too will go alone!! We are going without our kids with 6 other adults in 35 days... but I would LOVE to go alone!! i am commando type and could be in the parks from open to close... hubby is not and will not!!! Disney is my thing and he just appeases me... I'm ok with that though...haha

I am thinking of taking my kids when they each turn 13... i haven't told dh yet but i have about a year and a half...
Finished 1/2 '07 3:15:32 Finished 1/2 '08 3:21:08 Finished 1/2 '10 3:16:18 Finished 1/2 '11 2:50:19
5/1999~offsite~Honeymoon (Hampton Inn Suites)
1/2005~offsite (Westgate Villas)
1/2007~BCV
1/2008~BWV~1st Trip as DVC Members
9/2008~BCV
1/2009~SSR
1/2010~AKV
1/2011~SSR
10/2011~VWL
8/2012 ~HHI
Old 08-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #14
ILuvCrush
DIS Veteran

Welcome aboard MRSSCHLEP!!

Ooohhhh 1 on 1 time with the kids in WDW would be awesome!!! I've been thinking of that too....

I have in my beady little brain that I'm buying into DVC next year. I'd do it now, but there's a little thing call $4 gal heating oil here in the northeast I hate that!!! but if I'm a good girl...by spring I should be on my way to membership! Once that happens..I plan to take each of my DDs down seperately... maybe while 1 is at camp I'll take the other or something over the summer...that would be SO AWESOME!!!!
maybe I'll take DH by himself too
but he's like your DH not the commano type at all

Unlike Me
and my DDs
Old 08-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #15
MEK
DIS Veteran

I LUV CRUSH-

Congrats on booking your solo trip. I went solo last Jan for 4 nights. I stayed at POP and did KTK tour. My kids and DH thought I was crazy for going alone. Definately take the DVC tour while you are there. Also consider a DVC resale - they are a bit cheaper. You can search the Time Share Store which is a sponsor of the DIS boards. Try DVC planning for more info. Solo trips are good because you can do whatever you want, but I don't think I will do one again for awhile because I like talking to my touring partner. Not that I didn't talk to people I met, but I felt a little lonely from time to time. One thing I didn't do was ADR's since I'm really not into eating alone.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: