Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
Soulsearching
DIS Veteran

M A C Makeup

Is it worth the money?

I'm seriously thinking of going in and letting them give me a makeover, then buying their products, but I have been so disappointed in the past with other brands I'm afraid I would be wasting my money again.

Tell me what you have heard or what brand you use that you just love.

Thanks!
Soulsearching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
nena
DIS Veteran

I absolutely love their eyesshadows and they are the only ones I use. They have pallets with 6 colors right now for $38. I have invested in their brushes and right now you can get 5 or 6 brushes in a travel case for $48, which is a great deal because each brush is usually $15-$20. Their lipglosses are nice too, but I also use Bath & Body ones. I use their eyepencils and lip liners also. They also have classes/seminars 2-3 times a year. I have been to 3 of them and each time I always learn something new!
As for foundation, I have to say MAC's is too thick for me. It feels caked on. I use lancome and get a very natural look. Have fun with your makeover!!

POP 7/3-7/9
Disneyland w/ Disney's Performing Arts 2/2014
Pop 2/12-2/18/2012 w/ FREE DINING
Disneyland Spring Break 2010
POP 6/16-6/23 2009
POP 2008
Disneyland every year since I was 2!!
nena is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
wellesleyprincess
DIS Veteran

I think there stuff is awesome quality, but then again I'm a makeup snob and only use department store/sephora based line. The one warning about MAC is a lot of there stuff is very bright/intensely colored. I often think there make-overs are a little overboard, not to say you can't find nice neutrals. Personally I would reccomend Sephora (as they can pull from multiple lines) or Clinique or Bobbi Brown. They're the same quality roughly the same price and more natural in my opinion
March 1990- WDW Offsite ~ May 1994- Poly ~ May 1999- Coronado Springs ~ April 2003- Offsite (EPCOT & MGM & Universal) ~ June 2005- Yacht Club ~ March 2008- Pop Century at Easter ~ January 2010 Marathon Weekend Trip at All Star Sports (Full Marathon Finisher)~ May/June 2010 Contemporary ~ January 2011 POFQ (Goofy Challenge)~August/September 2012 WWoHP~ September/October 2012 ToT 10 Miler/ Food & Wine All Star Sports~ October 2013 Pop Century Father-Daughter Food & Wine trip
wellesleyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
missycj96
DIS Veteran

MAC is great. The best part is that the people who work there are makeup artists so if you let them pick colors for you, that to me is almost more helpful than anything else. Also, they will be honest with you about what to buy there - for example, the person who helped me told me to buy Maybelline great lash mascara.
missycj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Ciao Mickey
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
I'm a blabbermouth and have no self-control

I love their eye shadows.
Ciao Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

My favourite make-up is Bare Escentuals. I've never found another one that worked as well for me - it feels comfortable on (like I'm not wearing make-up at all) and I get a lot of compliments about what great skin I have when I'm wearing it.

Teresa
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

I've had trouble with their skin care. It's broken me out, and I don't have acne prone skin. I would stay away from their foundation too. I did like their shadows and blushes. But I don't like to spend that much money anymore.

OCT 2005---POFQ
NOV 2006---AKL CONCIERGE
MAY 2008---BOARDWALK, DOLPHIN, WONDER CRUISE
OCT 2010---TREEHOUSE VILLAS
OCT 2012---POFQ
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
winjos
A spelling challenged English teacher

Love MAC

I've been using MAC products since 1995. I use their foundation, powder, eye shadow & blush. The only items I don't use are their mascara, lipstick (I don't wear any), and cleaning products.

In '95 their eye shadow prices where $10 and in 13 years, they have gone up $4.50. I think that's pretty good. I'd say I go through my main eye shadow in 3 months, my other shadows last a lot longer. My blush takes forever to use up (at least it seems that way). My foundation lasts about 3 months too and the powder lasts a little longer than that.

Overall, I find the quality of the make-up is great and the price is right. I get a lot of compliments on my make-up and I always pass along that it is MAC.

I also have a couple brushes that have stood the test of time. If you properly clean them, they will last for a very long time too.

I find the artists interesting, but I've never seen anything over the top when doing the make overs. Let them know you want an everyday look and I'm sure they will give you what you want.

Best of luck!

winjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
DearDaisyinDurham
I'm trying not to look at the poutine, it's my weakness

I don't wear foundation however I do use the Studio Moisture Fix SPF 15, prep & prime, and then the pressed powder.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
twoeeyy
DIS Veteran

MAC makeup is the only makeup used in our house
twoeeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
wonderlandbound
Earning My Ears

MAC makeup is my favorite for eyeshadows and lipgloss. their eyeshadows come in pretty much every color imaginable from bright blue to a more natural beige. and their makeup artists are extremely helpful and will try the colors on you in the store. i like MAC because you can build your own pallets of four colors and i think thats the best part! i use MAC for theatre and for everyday stuff. i love it.

i haven't used their foundation though. i use smashbox's powder foundation and it works beautifully. sephora is a great place to find make up if you can't find something you like at MAC. they have brands you can only find in their store and then others you can find in Nordstroms so it's really easy. they also carry skin care, hair products and perfumes from all over. my eye brush set was actually a rewards gift and works wonderfully!
wonderlandbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #12
DearDaisyinDurham
I'm trying not to look at the poutine, it's my weakness

Sephora!!

Sephora!!! they have good deals if you get their email newsletter!
Old 11-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #13
i3utterfli82
Disneyliscious

I do love MAC but it is definitely expensive. I also use Bare Escentuals. I use MAC for more coverage or if I am going somewhere special, In fact it is what I used on my wedding day.

Viva Glam V lipgloss is the best!
Old 11-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #14
DeeInMS
Mouseketeer

I do use the foundation, studio tech in the winter and studio fix in the summer I also use their lipstick, eyeliner and lipliner other brands don't compare. I havent had any problems with breakouts.
DeeInMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #15
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

OMG! MAC is the best. I have a friend who is a professional makeup artist on film & TV and MAC is what most of the professionals use on film sets.

The liquid foundation very highly pigmented (or something,) yet is very smooth & creamy. It is the ONLY foundation that goes on and makes my skin look flawless, without looking like I have foundation on. I have been getting sun/age spots for a while, & I need a good concealer & foundation, but I don't want to look made up.

Also, the concealer & foundation are the only ones I can use my dark circles under my eyes. A friend & I went to the various makeup counters & tried on all the different brands. After 10 minutes, all the other brands caked into the fine lines & made me look older! Previously, I either looked like I had dark circles (by not using anything there,) or I looked older with evened out skin tone. Great choice.

I was also leery of using the MAC transparent powder over the foundation, as getting older, I've read women in their 40's should NOT be using powders or the mineral powders. It just sets into the fine lines & creases and makes women look dry, cakey and older. (I have used the Bare Minerals powders and yep, it was too dry for me.) However, the MAC powder really did set the foundation perfectly.

I think part of it was using their big, fluffy brush, too, to lay on & blend in the powder. the makeup artist taught me there is a technique to applying the powder. But at $35, that was a big budget buster. However, I would like to go back & get it.

I haven't used any of their other products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nena View Post
I have invested in their brushes and right now you can get 5 or 6 brushes in a travel case for $48, which is a great deal because each brush is usually $15-$20.
Nena, where is this sale? Is it online? I'd love to get that brush I didn't buy when I bought my foundation, if it's on sale.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: