Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #676
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Heidi, I know there's abo****ely nothing I can say that will salvage how this trip has turned out for you.

I do have to say though, that I appreciate that you're willing to write about it. The fact that you're sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly with me and all your loyal readers, well, it just means so much.

And as a mom of a four year old who currently hates loud noises, I am SO glad of your description of Ohana's. Because maybe I too need to learn from your experience and ask for a table away from the action. I would hate to have meltdown city on my hands and feel the way you did.

And it's so easy in hindsight to say, I should have cut my losses and moved on.

But if I've learned anything from your trip report (and my December trip) it's that fact is never more true than in Disneyworld, and should be employed at all times.

If something's not working, change it.

Enter the red pen...

Now, on a brighter note, I just have to say how adorable Liam and John are together. I love that they were in tropical shirts, and Liam is such a well dressed little boy. And don't you just breathe such a sigh of relief when he's all sacked out on a bed like that?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #677
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Heidi, I know there's abo****ely nothing I can say that will salvage how this trip has turned out for you.

I do have to say though, that I appreciate that you're willing to write about it. The fact that you're sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly with me and all your loyal readers, well, it just means so much.

And as a mom of a four year old who currently hates loud noises, I am SO glad of your description of Ohana's. Because maybe I too need to learn from your experience and ask for a table away from the action. I would hate to have meltdown city on my hands and feel the way you did.

And it's so easy in hindsight to say, I should have cut my losses and moved on.

But if I've learned anything from your trip report (and my December trip) it's that fact is never more true than in Disneyworld, and should be employed at all times.

If something's not working, change it.

Enter the red pen...

Now, on a brighter note, I just have to say how adorable Liam and John are together. I love that they were in tropical shirts, and Liam is such a well dressed little boy. And don't you just breathe such a sigh of relief when he's all sacked out on a bed like that?
Very well put.

And I also meant to comment on how cute your two men looked in their shirts.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #678
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Oh Heidi...

I'm glad you got to enjoy the fireworks on the beach - sounds like you needed it at that point. Sounds like you needed a drink too! (But of course that option was out!)

I will remember your lesson & CUT OUR LOSSES before things get worse! I'm sure there will be at least one opportunity for us to put this into practice during our trip.

(And I'll remember to take the right tunnel - it is the right one, right?)
Old 04-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #679
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Oh, Heidi, I was so excited to see that you had updated, but what an update it turned out to be!!!

Before everything went south in a handbasket, your boys looked very stylish in their Hawaiian shirts.

I am so sorry that your meal turned out to be such a horrible experience -- in hindsight it was easy to see you should have left, but when you are in the moment it is so hard to make decisions like that. We have all been there before in one way or another.

I am glad that the waitress boxed up your dessert for you (it helped redeem her in my eyes over the maraca incident), and you were able to enjoy it on the beach.

Liam looks adorable fast asleep on the bed.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #680
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Heidi I'm so sorry about the dinner. I've always gotten put right next to the firepit and it's always so loud there.

You are entirely right about the female entertainer too. My mother and I couldn't stop laughing on our last trip at her. Between the overly sachrinely sweet voice, and the ridiculously high wooden heels that she was teetering around on barely able to walk we couldn't stop giggling. My first time at Ohanas we had the guy and he was much better. She was a complete caracature.

I'm so glad that the waitress was able to box up your dessert. Dessert at Ohana's is always a favorite for me. I'm sure she felt horrible after the maraca didn't go very well.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #681
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
Oh Heidi, I am so sorry for the way your trip went. I hope the huge red pen helped. That was nice of the waitress to do that with the dessert, we love dessert at 'Ohana.
I do think the red pen helped since we still had 4 more full days of vacation. We love all the food at 'Ohana's. I miss the maui potatoes, I tried the noodles that night but they were cold by the time I got to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
I'm so sorry your dinner went so poorly. But, glad that you got to enjoy your dessert on the beach. We love to just hang out at the Poly beach.
It was cold that night on the beach....but at least the ice cream didn't melt too fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
Good job on making lemonade out of lemons in regards to your dessert on the beach.
Thanks....I just wished that we would have been able to explore more of the Poly grounds that night like I had wanted to. But I did get to see the rooms that open up to the pool on the ground level and decided that I wouldn't want to stay in one of those.....too exposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtothemouse View Post
Oh, poor you and Liam! Raging hormones probably didn't help the situation any either. You did a great job on salvaging the the evening.
Not being able to have a cocktail or two (or three) probably was worst than the hormones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousescrapper View Post
Heidi,

first some hugs and smiles are in order....

: hug:

I'm sorry to hear the whole story about your dog Bailey...I knew it happened but didn't realize how hard it really was and everything else going on.

sick and pregnant YUCK! I had the stomach flu in my first preg early on and of course naive I was so scared I was throwing up the babies

Liam was quite the snappy water waddler there....

and I love your Hawiian decked out Dudes!

O'Hana's oh man how terrible....I am so sorry what a major bummer of a disater. I would have almost cried too. Captian Cook's was what I was thinking too....glad you got your dessert and had some magic that night w/ watching Wishes from the beach. That was a favorite moment for us last year too.

OH NO!!!! Elvis you bad....

was it Stitch dressed as him

trying to make you laugh here....

Scarppie
"snappy water waddler" Loves it! I'll have to call Liam that is summer!

We actually didn't watch Wishes from the beach that night. It would have been Hallowishes that night and not until 9:30pm....it's was about 8pm when we got to the beach....our ADR was for 6:15pm.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #682
Kimberly815
DIS Veteran
you can call us Mr. and Mrs. ChuckleDoodle!

I am sorry your dinner at Ohana didn't go well! I am glad you got to have your favorite dessert though! I hope the red pen helped the rest of the vacation go smoothly.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #683
MRYPPNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Well I didn't think that it would do anyone any good if I sugar coated this trip.

Quote:
It never really crossed my mind that Liam would have this problem at 'Ohana's. But the noise volume goes up so quickly, I just think he didn't understand what was going to happen next. Your DS is old enough to understand what's happening if you explain it ahead of time to him.

Quote:
Now, on a brighter note, I just have to say how adorable Liam and John are together. I love that they were in tropical shirts, and Liam is such a well dressed little boy. And don't you just breathe such a sigh of relief when he's all sacked out on a bed like that? :cloud9
I found that shirt for Liam at Macy for like $10 bucks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
Very well put.

And I also meant to comment on how cute your two men looked in their shirts.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Oh Heidi...

I'm glad you got to enjoy the fireworks on the beach - sounds like you needed it at that point. Sounds like you needed a drink too! (But of course that option was out!)

I will remember your lesson & CUT OUR LOSSES before things get worse! I'm sure there will be at least one opportunity for us to put this into practice during our trip.

(And I'll remember to take the right tunnel - it is the right one, right?)
No fireworks that night and no drink either. I think the thing that really bummed me about that night was eating alone. Not to mention that the meal at 'Ohana's is one of my favorites. At least with our Chef Mickey's dinner that went hay-wire, Liam was able to come back to the table after the characters went on break.

My best advice would be to take 5 minutes to figure out a new game plan with your DH before anyone goes or does anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Oh, Heidi, I was so excited to see that you had updated, but what an update it turned out to be!!!
I think that's why it took me so long to write.

Quote:
Before everything went south in a handbasket, your boys looked very stylish in their Hawaiian shirts.
Thank you!

Quote:
I am glad that the waitress boxed up your dessert for you (it helped redeem her in my eyes over the maraca incident), and you were able to enjoy it on the beach.
I felt the same way about the waitress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
Heidi I'm so sorry about the dinner. I've always gotten put right next to the firepit and it's always so loud there.

You are entirely right about the female entertainer too. My mother and I couldn't stop laughing on our last trip at her. Between the overly sachrinely sweet voice, and the ridiculously high wooden heels that she was teetering around on barely able to walk we couldn't stop giggling. My first time at Ohanas we had the guy and he was much better. She was a complete caracature.
I love your review of the entertainment! I'm sure the kids don't care and seem to have fun with her. But she seems so fake.....which is odd because I'm sure she really is from Hawaii. I guess she's been in Orlando too long!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #684
MRYPPNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly815 View Post
I am sorry your dinner at Ohana didn't go well! I am glad you got to have your favorite dessert though! I hope the red pen helped the rest of the vacation go smoothly.
The red pen helped a lot....but it didn't cure everything

Old 04-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #685
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Hi there!
I was a few updates behind - I'm so sorry to hear about your Bailey and that crazy, crazy week! I am glad you are all feeling better now.

Liam looks ADORABLE at the pool-major cuteness! I love the bucket hat. Henry's head is huuuuuuuuuge, so many kid hats have never fit him (you might remember me mentioning that on my TRs). He usually ends up with a "big boy" hat - if he will even leave one on!

Sorry to hear about the craziness at Ohana. We had the female performer as well, I laughed at your description of her-pretty accurate! Very over the top and very done up. Plasticy. I figured she was supposed to be like that-just uber cheesy or something, but we've only been there once, so now I'm assuming the male performer is more normal, eh?

That is VERY sweet of your server to box up the dessert! I'm glad you had a chance to enjoy it.

The pic of Liam crashed out on the bed is adorable.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 04-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #686
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Sorry to hear about the craziness at Ohana. We had the female performer as well, I laughed at your description of her-pretty accurate! Very over the top and very done up. Plasticy. I figured she was supposed to be like that-just uber cheesy or something, but we've only been there once, so now I'm assuming the male performer is more normal, eh?
The male performer was a bit like Don Ho. Slightly cheesy but in a good way. Not plasticy, and he didn't seem phony. Cheesy only because he reminded me of Don Ho. He might of even sang Tiny Bubbles.

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 04-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #687
MRYPPNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Hi there!
I was a few updates behind - I'm so sorry to hear about your Bailey and that crazy, crazy week! I am glad you are all feeling better now.

Liam looks ADORABLE at the pool-major cuteness! I love the bucket hat. Henry's head is huuuuuuuuuge, so many kid hats have never fit him (you might remember me mentioning that on my TRs). He usually ends up with a "big boy" hat - if he will even leave one on!
The sickness was gone by the end of that weekend. We didn't go out and wouldn't let anyone in the house so we didn't keep passing it around. My parents went to the supermarket for us and I made them leave the food in the garage so they didn't get sick!

Babybanz.com has get bucket hats for kids....SPF 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
The male performer was a bit like Don Ho. Slightly cheesy but in a good way. Not plasticy, and he didn't seem phony. Cheesy only because he reminded me of Don Ho. He might of even sang Tiny Bubbles.
Too funny because I was going to write the exact same thing about Don Ho!

Old 04-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #688
MRYPPNS

Do you ever freak out when you see your Ticker? I did today....24 days until I have an infant and an almost 2 yr old to take care of

Old 04-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #689
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

24 already?? Wow! That will be here before you know it!

Old 04-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #690
MagicShell
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear about your bad dinner. Liam looked so cute in his Hawaiian shirt. How exciting about the baby, it is so close now.

Me DH DD DS

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: