Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
islandmum
DIS Veteran

Expat Brits go barmy in the World ..... MAGIC KINGDOM AND LEAVING

So the last day in Orlando looms. We've had a fantastic 9 days here, done the parks we've wanted to do, had lots of downtime just lazing by the pool or doing things like crazy golf and shopping. Its time for us to say goodbye to the villa, goodbye to the BIL, SIL and DN, pack everything into the truck and have a final day in the MK before heading to the airport to have a night at the Hyatt before our flight to Barbados tomorrow.

We stripped off the beds, cleared the floors, left all the good food and drink for the cleaners, waved bye to the family and headed to MK. We'd never driven to MK before, only done the bus thing from the hotel last year and we were shocked! I had no idea we parked bleeding miles away! It was raining early in the AM - the only rain we saw really our entire trip and it seems everyone left it late to get to MK so it was HEAVING at the gates at 10.30 when we got there. There was a huge queue for the monorail and then a big queue to get in.

We didnt bother with a buggy as this wouldnt be a full day as MK isnt our fave park and we only really like 2 areas - Tomorrowland and Frontierland.

I had to pick up something for a friend in the Tink store so the boys were dispatched to Buzz to pick up FP's. I then met up with them at the Racetrack and off we went ... they love this and do all the driving themselves!

whilst waiting for the Buzz FP we hit the TA train which we didnt do last year and we loved it actually. Got some very nice pics and its nice the way it takes you over and inside some rides. The kids really enjoyed it.

it was lunchtime and we still had 45 minutes before Buzz so we hit the diner and farted around between lines getting food for everyone! Theat bugs me no end, it was really busy so dh had to grab a table with the boys and I had to wait in lines at 3 different stations to get chicken for the boys, hot dog for me and wrap for the dh. All in all it was over 20 minutes! The kids loved the DJ playing his tunes, wanted to give him a request but we told them he was really busy so he couldnt today!

after a very satisfying lunch we hit Buzz, we love this ride, the kids were and still are big Buzz fans and even though they dont watch the movie anymore they love playing with Buzz and Zurg still

thrashed the dh YET AGAIN and he gave some lame excuse about helping our youngest get a good score .... I left my oldest to fend for himself .... its war as far as I'm concerned and I cant carry a weaker player

we had a nice ride on the Astro Orbiter and dh and I both had a go on Space mountain, striaght in on single rider line, whilst the other loked after the boys .... LOVE SM.

after tomorrowland we took a little walk over to Frontierland. It was after 2.45 by now and I wanted to be out of the park by 3 as we had a VERRRRY early flight tomorrow and wanted to get settled at the aiport by 6.

so we didnt do any rides, we just had a really good look around and met up with someone on the way ..

had a Mickeys treat overlooking the river and slowly made our way back past the castle and out of the gates - waving goodbye to Disney for the last time this trip, it was already 4 and time to hit the road ...

It was definately the busiest park day we'd had and 6 hours in the park had flown by, I put my foot down and cruised at 70 to the airport.

Last edited by islandmum; 11-03-2008 at 10:58 AM.
islandmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
islandmum
DIS Veteran

First order was to drop off the dh and kids at the Hyatt which was in terminal B, drop the car off, back to the Hyatt to meet them and then see if we could check in for our flight tomorrow as it was a 6.15am flight and if we couldnt check in today we'd have to check in at 4AM!!!! as its and international flight ...... UGHHHH!

Got them all dropped off, emptied out the luggage, 2 of which had to be sent to excess baggage as they were oversize and overweight by a long way. Dropped off the car which is a BREEZE in Orlando - drive up, park in the queue and get out .... thats it! no papers no nothing!

Got back to the terminal and got my key from the Hyatt desk and went up to the room - 9th floor (top floor) overlooking the terminal and runways - excellent, just what we asked for. They didnt have connecting rooms available when we booked so we had to crush into one room but we made it.

and heres a little pic of what we were allowed to check in - this was the maximum with American which is why the other bags went with excess baggage. 2 suitcases, 2 extra large duffles, 3 holdalls, 2 carseats, 3 handluggage and a laptop. We travel light ...... NOT!

It was 5.30 by now and as appealing as the pool looked we needed food and to see if we could checkin. I needed the boys to be down by 7pm if possible.

Into the food court whilst dh went to American checkin. The boys had pasta from Sbarro, I had chinese and also bought a 6 box of donuts from KrispyKreme for breakfast and the trip. I asked what time they opened in the morning just incase, expecting a 6am reply and he said 3am!!! holy cow - I'd hate that shift!

anyway dh came back ... no luck, as we were not citizens and its a international flight (even though we change at Miami) we have to checkin latest 4am .....

Grab the kids up, get them upstairs, throw them in a bath and turn out all the lights to try and get them to sleep. Their feet barely touch the ground from the food court to the bed Its 7.30 and our youngest is out for the count, 15 minutes later so's the oldest. The dh and I spend 3 hours out on the porch watching the planes in the nightsky - we love airports (my dad is a BA 747 skipper so its natural to me.)

We finally bed down at about midnight, each in a bed with a child and are woken horribly by the alarm at 3.15am. UCK.

Bellboy arrives at 3.45, he takes the bags all the way to the American desk, we are smoothly checked in and off we go, Barbados for a few days and then home to our island.

Our thoughts on the trip:

we had great wether, only rained once, although the mornings and evening were cold for us.

universal was better than we thought, next year we'll do more than one day.

Loved staying in a villa but missed the Disney resorts so next time will be Disney resort and do the Disney parks then, followed by 10 days in a villa doing other parks and stuff.

Choose a better villa with more specified requirements to fit all our needs.

The Hyatt was a great thing to do and we'll definately do it again.

WE LOVED OUR VACA! the kids just had the best time ... and no - we had nothing really that was just for us or that we could indulge ... but it was the best family vacation I think we could ever have had.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
JCDUDE
Earning My Ears

Awesome write up!!!
Thanks a lot,and great that you all had a top time
JCDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

What a great trip, something for everyone and all your shopping for a year
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
MorningGlory
Space for rent

Loved reading all your reports! That's some amount of shopping to do in one go!

Looks like the kids had an absolute blast, and i'm delighted for you that you managed to get your villa sorted out - the alternative looks amazing!

Thanks for sharing

Our report of our first trip to the Mouse in June 2007

Never get in to an argument with a stupid person. They just bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
MorningGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
islandmum
DIS Veteran

thanks everyone we had a fab time, exhausting but fab. And Disney ..... well nothing else really compares, its unbeatable as far as I can tell.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:12 AM   #7
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Great pictures

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

So sad - I hate leaving the Magic Kingdom.

Great pics.

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:00 AM   #9
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

I have so enjoyed your reports. Your boys must be so excited to be going back so soon

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:24 AM   #10
islandmum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark&sue View Post
I have so enjoyed your reports. Your boys must be so excited to be going back so soon

susan
thankyou Susan, and thanks all, before our first trip to WDW in 2007 I lived on the TR board trying to get as much info as possible and seeing what people did there and it was really helpful and enjoyable to read peoples experiences. Hope others get he same from mine too.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #11
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing your memories, really enjoyed your trippies
Old 11-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #12
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Thanks for taking the time to post, I enjoyed reading it.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: