Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #16
1ST time at DW
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the aid on the airport

it willl come in handy when we visit.
1ST time at DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #17
BrerRabbit1114
Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow!

Airport

The Orlando Int. Airport is not that difficult at all. If you take magical express all you have to do is go to first floor on i think b side all the way to the right, then you check in and wait for your bus. If you take a taxi just go same place and ask the person to get you a taxi its that easy.
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #18
djd7292
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W21981Brick View Post
Hello, I am wondering if there is a store that sells liquor in the airport. I want to buy some small bottles to keep in our room. Thanks Much ...
There are 2 duty free stores that possibly sell liquor....good luck finding them.

djd7292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #19
Dr. M
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the maps. My question is, is it possible to get from side A to side B or vice versa if you are on the 1st or 2nd levels? I see from the map that you can do this on the 3rd level, but there seems to be no walkways between sides A and B on the 2nd or 1st levels. I will be picking up my own luggage (due to late arrival, close to midnight) on the A side of baggage claim on the 2nd level and will need to proceed to the B side of level 1. Will I need to go back up to the 3rd level before proceeding to the B side? (confusing, I know )
March 2014 DCL Wonder 5 night Caribbean, May 2015 DCL Fantasy 7 night Caribbean

Last edited by Dr. M; 05-10-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Dr. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #20
WillCAD
Where there's a Will there's a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. M View Post
Thanks for the maps. My question is, is it possible to get from side A to side B or vice versa if you are on the 1st or 2nd levels? I see from the map that you can do this on the 3rd level, but there seems to be no walkways between sides A and B on the 2nd or 1st levels. I will be picking up my own luggage (due to late arrival, close to midnight) on the A side of baggage claim on the 2nd level and will need to proceed to the B side of level 1. Will I need to go back up to the 3rd level before proceeding to the B side? (confusing, I know )
I'm pretty sure there are a couple of crossovers on each level, though I've never needed them myself.

However, it might actually be easier to go back up one level before going down to Level 1, because of the length of the terminal; it could be a shorter walk to cross over on Level 3 and take the elevator back down that it would be to walk halfway down the building to find a crossover, then walk all the way back to the DME counter.
WillCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:18 AM   #21
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I've been told that there are no 'cross-over' spots on levels 1 and 2..that you have to go back to level 3 to get from one side to the other.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #22
Dr. M
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info. No crossovers is a bummer. We will be arriving pretty late (near midnight) and it would be nice to have a more direct route, rather than have to drag our luggage all over the place. Oh well, at least we'll be close to meeting the Mouse
Old 05-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #23
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. M View Post
Thanks for the info. No crossovers is a bummer. We will be arriving pretty late (near midnight) and it would be nice to have a more direct route, rather than have to drag our luggage all over the place. Oh well, at least we'll be close to meeting the Mouse
Why not just pack your carryon bags with what you'll need for the night/next morning, and then let DME take care of the bags? I realize the bags won't get to you until the next morning but if you pack a change of clothes and some small toiletries (which you should do no matter where or when you are flying), you will be able to just go to bed, and then get up and start your day. Your luggage would most likely be in your room by 10am, I would think.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #24
Dr. M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Why not just pack your carryon bags with what you'll need for the night/next morning, and then let DME take care of the bags? I realize the bags won't get to you until the next morning but if you pack a change of clothes and some small toiletries (which you should do no matter where or when you are flying), you will be able to just go to bed, and then get up and start your day. Your luggage would most likely be in your room by 10am, I would think.
I would absolutely love to do that, but the CM I spoke with at Disney reservations said that they absolutely do not pick up luggage for arrivals after 10pm. I would love to hear otherwise. From what I understand, luggage that is picked up close to 10pm may be delivered the next morning. We are arriving at 11:55pm, and would love to have DME take care of our luggage, but was told to pick it up ourselves
Old 05-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #25
Dr. M
DIS Veteran

Here's what I just found on Allears
Effective March 30, 2009, Disney's Magical Express will no longer offer luggage delivery service for arrivals to the Orlando International Airport after 10 p.m. Guests arriving at the airport after 10 p.m. will pick up their luggage at the baggage claim and take it with them to the Magical Express motor coach to their resort. This will allow late-arriving guests using Magical Express to have more immediate access to their luggage. Luggage delivery service will still be provided for Magical Express and Disney Cruise Line guests traveling to Walt Disney World for a resort stay who arrive on flights beginning at 5 a.m. until 10 p.m.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:26 AM   #26
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Yep...that's what I suggested.....tag your bags and let DME take them. No, you won't get your bags until the next morning, but at least you don't have to lug them all over creation at MCO...and that's a hike with luggage (Side A baggage claim to Side B DME). Your bags will stay at MCO until early the next morning, then be shipped to your resort.
But, if you don't want to have to wait for the bags, until the next day, you can bring them with you, on the bus.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #27
Hoosier Mom
DIS Veteran

Question about breakfast food at the airport.....we are flying out on a Saturday morning with Southwest.

What fast food is available around the gate area (gates 100+)? Or should we grab something in the food court to go and take it with us? (although it might be thoroughly cold by the time we get through security)

Last time we took our sweet time and ate in the food court and didn't realize it would take us an hour getting through security. This time I'm going to get to the gate a bit faster.

Thanks for the information. Great thread!
Old 06-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #28
WillCAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Mom View Post
Question about breakfast food at the airport.....we are flying out on a Saturday morning with Southwest.

What fast food is available around the gate area (gates 100+)? Or should we grab something in the food court to go and take it with us? (although it might be thoroughly cold by the time we get through security)

Last time we took our sweet time and ate in the food court and didn't realize it would take us an hour getting through security. This time I'm going to get to the gate a bit faster.

Thanks for the information. Great thread!
I fly Southwest every year to and from MCO. I usually fly out in the evening, so I'm not familiar with the breakfast options, but I typically get a snack at McDonalds when I get to the Airside building. There's also a Sbarro, Au Bon Pain, and a few other places, and a Westwin News and Gifts where you can get water and sodas.

You can't take any liquids through security, so I wouldn't try taking breakfast with you, but you could grab a quick bite at the larger food court in the Landside terminal before you go through security.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #29
Hoosier Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
I fly Southwest every year to and from MCO. I usually fly out in the evening, so I'm not familiar with the breakfast options, but I typically get a snack at McDonalds when I get to the Airside building. There's also a Sbarro, Au Bon Pain, and a few other places, and a Westwin News and Gifts where you can get water and sodas.

You can't take any liquids through security, so I wouldn't try taking breakfast with you, but you could grab a quick bite at the larger food court in the Landside terminal before you go through security.
Yay! Great to know there's a McDonalds in the airside part. We'll just wait then until we get there.

The thought of wrangling boarding passes, I.D., a 4 year old, and 3 carry ons, while hanging onto food, shoes off, shoes on, etc... sounds a little chaotic. I'm not sure how crowded MCO is on Saturday mornings, but I don't think I'll waste time eating in the food court. Took too long getting through security last time.

Thanks so much for the info!! We'll head on down to the gates and get something to eat.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #30
WillCAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Mom View Post
Yay! Great to know there's a McDonalds in the airside part. We'll just wait then until we get there.

The thought of wrangling boarding passes, I.D., a 4 year old, and 3 carry ons, while hanging onto food, shoes off, shoes on, etc... sounds a little chaotic. I'm not sure how crowded MCO is on Saturday mornings, but I don't think I'll waste time eating in the food court. Took too long getting through security last time.

Thanks so much for the info!! We'll head on down to the gates and get something to eat.
I've never been to MCO on a Saturday morning (I usually arrive on a Wed, Thu, or Fri morning and leave on a Fri, Mon, or Tue evening), but I can give you a few tips about negotiating the security lines in any airport.

Empty your pockets into your carry-ons ahead of time, except for your ID and boarding passes. Keep the ID and boarding passes in an easily-accessible pocket (I use a shirt pocket). You will only need your ID twice - when you check your bags at the SWA counter, and when you enter the security line. You will need your boarding passes three times - when you enter the security line, when you pass through the metal detector at the security line, and when you actually board the plane.

Plan on needing to take your shoes off in the line, and select shoes that go on and off easily. Some shoes can be laced up halfway and tied when you dress that morning, making it easier to slip them off and back on at security.

Anything that you will need in the airport, pack in your carry-on bag before you depart WDW. Don't try traipsing through the airport with a carry-on bag, a plastic bag of souvenirs, a magazine, a water bottle, etc. Put all that stuff in your bag before you even leave your hotel, and only take out individual items as you need them.

If you have a 3-1-1 bag of liquids, be sure to pack it in an outer or upper pocket of your carry-on bag, where it is easy to access.

If you have a jacket or sweater or other wrap, pack it in your carry-on. Sure, you may need it when you land, and you might even need it on the plane, but it has to come off to go through security, so just leave it in your carry-on until you actually need it; juggling a jacket or sweater along with your other stuff as you go through the security lines is one more awkward thing that you don't need to do. Ditto for hats.

Most importantly, any preparations you might need to make before going through security should be done BEFORE you even get into the line. Trying to empty your pockets while in the line, juggling multiple bags, is mighty difficult; you can easily lose stuff or forget stuff in your poickets. Once you get into the line, the only things you should have to do are A) take your laptop out of your carry-on, B) take your shoes off, and C) put bag, shoes, laptop in individual plastic bins and wait with them till they go into the x-ray scanner.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: