Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
cguill
Mouseketeer

Disney Cruises - Hope you have deep pockets

Why are the Disney cruises such a rip off ???
cguill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by cguill View Post

To each his own....we have done 16 DCL cruises and do not find them a "rip-off"...I feel I get value for my money and yes, they are more expensive than other cruiselines but I have an attachment to them. I will also cruise other lines but DCL is my favorite.

I do agree though that the 2010 prices are a bit out of line with reality!!!

P.S...my dad runs marathons....he has run 25 consecutive Marine Corps Marathons plus about dozen others in different countries/states.....
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
msmayor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think its wrong to categorize them as a "rip-off". They have a higher price-point than other lines, but they also have a different product to offer because of the characters and family focus.

Its all about the offering and what the public is willing to pay. Disney has marketed their line in such a way that they can command their higher prices and fill their ships. There are other higher-priced lines too, offering a certain type of experience...fortunately there are many choices for folks to find the cruise line that's right for them.
Oct 1997: All Star Sports
Oct 2000: Dixie Landings
Aug 2005: Wilderness Lodge
Aug 2008: Shades of Green...Family Grand Gathering
Aug 2010: One Day at MK - cruise stop!
Jun 2014: Boardwalk
msmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Pluto,
DIS Veteran

disney gets what we will pay for it. with only 2 ships they can charge extra you cannot blame disney for wanting to get a premium price. you will do the same thing yourself. example if you were going to sell your car and you know its only worth 3,000 dollars but someone you dont know wants to pay 5,000 dollars for your car what will you do?
Pluto, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
CraftyMouse
I am ever so grateful for the technology that has allowed that little blurry spot!

I kind of fell like I'm poking the troll, but here goes...

The "rip-off" is in the eye of the beholder. We have been able to do 7 DCL cruises, all for what I'd consider very good rates. We book early, book a lower-category cabin (usually a 9) and use other cost-cutting measures to keep our total expenses down. In return we get a fantastic cruise, with fantastic staff members and fantastic shows/activities/etc. We have always felt that it was money well-spent and that keeps us coming back again and again.

While I do feel that the service level has dropped since the initial years, it is still wonderful. We'll gladly keep sailing on DCL!

May I ask why you think they are such a "rip-off"?
CraftyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
hawaiian mickey
hawaiian flyer

Quote:
aloha,
To me DCL is not a ripoff.They have provided my wife and I a wonderful time and great service.

aloha,
hawaiian mickey
Old 10-31-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
disneylove69
DIS Veteran

I have been on several different cruise lines and paid various prices. DCL by far has the best service for the money. On all the other lines I had wished I was on Disney.
disneylove69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

For the same reason that WDW is a rip-off compared to Six Flags! You get a different product with DCL. More expensive? Yes. But it is truly a wonderful experience, with the trademark Disney 'touch'. You don't get that with Royal Caribbean or Carnival.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
The Grays
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It sounds like you have never been on one to experience it. So until you do that is not a proper statement to make. No Disney is not the cheep line like "C" is. The class of service is higher. I can say that since i have eperienced them. You want cheep you get cheep, you want quality and service you pay and get that.
The Grays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
You have been a member of these boards for a year now and done many postings, so why are now questioning and criticizing a Disney product?!?
Old 10-31-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Disney cruises vary widely in price, depending on when you cruise and when you book. If you cruise during the value season - you can cruise for reasonable prices. If you want to cruise during a holiday period, then you will pay twice as much for the same cruise experience - and I'm not willing to do that on any cruise line.

I enjoyed my first Disney cruise last January - but it didn't wow me enough to make me a loyal repeater. I don't have young kids, and I don't need to see Disney characters on a ship to have a great cruise. I prefer to get my Disney "fix" at the theme parks, and I usually choose a cruise ship based on where it goes and what it costs. I'd like to take my 2 daughters on a Europe cruise in 2010, but it won't be on premium-priced DCL.

Last edited by NancyIL; 10-31-2008 at 06:42 PM.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
You have been a member of these boards for a year now and done many postings, so why are now questioning and criticizing a Disney product?!?
I've been a member of the DIS for almost 10 years, and I have no qualms about criticizing a Disney product! It's a great company - but there's always room for improvement.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:58 PM   #13
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

DCL might be expensive, but I wouldn't call it a rip off. I keep cruising DCL because of the people I meet who work on the ship I have become friends with a lot of them. I've started to look into other lines also, but the ships I want to go on are pretty expensive also, well besides carnival. But everyone feels different about everything
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
DMMarla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:04 PM   #14
Mjasp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto, View Post
disney gets what we will pay for it. with only 2 ships they can charge extra you cannot blame disney for wanting to get a premium price. you will do the same thing yourself. example if you were going to sell your car and you know its only worth 3,000 dollars but someone you dont know wants to pay 5,000 dollars for your car what will you do?
It's true, as long as the customer pays the higher price, they will charge the higher price.

But like another poster said, I am not wowed by DCL either, I go on DCL cruises to travel with friends, but after next month my next cruise is on the Oasis of the seas.
June 2011- Carnival Glory August 2011- Disney Dream
February 2010- NCL Gem, June 2010- Carnival Glory
April 2008- Disney Wonder Land & Sea, November 2008- Disney Magic
August 2007- RCCL Explorer of the Seas
February 2006- Costa Mediterranea
August 2004- 10 day Disney Magic- Thanks Hurricane Frances
May 2002 Disney Magic Western Inaugural
Mjasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:15 PM   #15
Pinkgurlshubby
Has not been blessed by the TF <-really? Huh, looks like you have to me! *~*SPF*~*
Think of a happy place, think of a happy place

I have to agree with NancyIL...well ok I agree with everyone's answers. If you want Disney then you get Disney. The price is upfront. The drink station is open 24 hours. The kids clubs are awsome. The food is great. You pay for the Disney experience and they are there for the kids (young and old)
The time you pick will reflect the price. We looked at a 5 day Bahamas for 2010 and I couldn't believe the price as compared to our 7 day Eastern cruise. It's the summer and cruises cost more in the summer. We booked a 7 day Western cruise and the prices was incredible. People say Disney is expensive but my parents last year sailed with Celebrity on the Zenith. It was a 4 day Bahamas for 1200 in a porthole semi obstructed view. The 7 day eastern would have cost only a few hundred more. I can't remember the price tag but I'm thinking it was 400 more for almost twice as long. Where's the rip off????
1 cruise done, 1 more booked and happy!

May 2012 WDW All Star Movies
December 1-5 2013 Dream - Holidays with Mickey
2014 WDW TBD
Pinkgurlshubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: