Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #91
elderfam
There is no such thing as too many Disney trips!

Love your TR and all the photos!

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

elderfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #92
GolfNPirate
Margarita Drinkin' & Ball Hackin',

Everyone on Livin' Large cruise rebook yet ? We just did for Dec 4 2010, and glad to see Beach Party of 3 onboard. It is an Eastern cruise, we like that extra day at sea. Hope all is well with everyone !! We got back from WDW last week, great weather. Expedition Everest still rocks !!!
GolfNPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #93
Colmenares3
Mouseketeer

I am doing a TourGuideMiKE cruise in January 2010 (4-night), and am trying to get my extended family on board for an Eastern. So far, no luck. Might have to make do with Royal Caribbean!
Colmenares3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #94
nokidz
thanks Mickey, now I am an addict!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfNPirate View Post
Everyone on Livin' Large cruise rebook yet ? We just did for Dec 4 2010, and glad to see Beach Party of 3 onboard. It is an Eastern cruise, we like that extra day at sea. Hope all is well with everyone !! We got back from WDW last week, great weather. Expedition Everest still rocks !!!
We did a 4 day at the beginning of Feb with the kids and have a 7 day Eastern booked for end of Oct. We are also looking at a 7 day Western, again, for Feb 2010.
past cruises

Feb 26th 2011 Eastern on the Magic!!! - graphic to come
future cruises
Nov 24th 2012 Western on the Fantasy!!! - graphic to come
nokidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #95
cyndid
Mouseketeer

Wish we were able to rebook. :-( It'll be a couple of years before we can even think about it.

I am an altered artist
cyndid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #96
cyndid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndid View Post
I do have a picture of the shower area...It is very nice. There are two of them. They are in a small hallway that is divided from the rest of the women's sitting area by a bamboo screen. At the time of day that I was there, there was never anyone else there.

Okay, I thought I had a picture of the shower area. I have one of the locker room, the sitting area, the scale (VERY important LOL), and the sauna. The showers are behind the screen that is on the right side of the sauna in the following photo.

I am an altered artist
Old 04-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #97
mommyofthreeboys
DIS Veteran

LOVED reading your report!!!!

Can we "read" more PLEASE?!?!?!!
September 2008-ASsp- Anniversary trip-just DH & I
April 25-30, 2009- BWV with a friend
March 21-25, 2010- first cruise! and a stay at POR and CS. On the Wonder.
January 3-8, 2011- 2nd cruise! On the Magic.
(41) (38) (20) (15) (13)
mommyofthreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #98
frdeb1999
DIS Veteran

Just found this today! Loving it so far. And the pics are wonderful. Love the formal one!! Too cute!
frdeb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #99
mousetravel
DIS Veteran

Subbing!
Mom/Daughter PTR: Christmas Trip! 2011 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post42724982
Mom/Daughter Trip Report June 2011: Disney Dream! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2744972
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: Disney & Sea World 2010
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2443520

Mom/Daughter Trip Report: WDW & Disney Cruise 2009 ttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2095302
mousetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #100
cyndid
Mouseketeer

Day 4....continued

We docked in Grand Cayman where we walked across from the port and grabbed a taxi. (This sounds like a quick process, but we wound up waiting inside the taxi for about ten minutes before the driver finally got in to take us. The taxi was a minivan so I have a feeling he was trying to grab other passengers first.) We told the driver that we wanted to go to the Marriott on seven-mile beach. Our server, Ivo, had recommended this to us. He said that the loungers were free and anyone could use them as long as you ordered a drink from them. So, our driver dutifully took us to the Marriott. I don’t remember the price off-hand, but it was pretty much exactly what I expected after reading the boards here.

The Marriott was lovely. We walked through the lobby and then through an area that we thought was the pool but was instead a pond area with turtles, iguanas, ducks and other wildlife. My DDs really enjoyed looking at the animals. We walked from here straight out to the beach. Next door to the Marriott they were doing construction, and while the beach here was nice, I didn’t want to hear the construction vehicles/machines the whole time we were relaxing on the beach, so we decided to walk down the beach to find a different place.

Turtle and iguana at the Marriott

Walking toward the Royal Palms

We wound up finding an area that had lounge rentals and was available to the public. This was “Royal Palms.” (You will see a lot of taxi drivers holding signs to take you to this place. We thought it ironic that we wound up here anyway.) We rented two lounge chairs for a total of $10 US. It was a very nice day. There were clouds, but there was plenty of sun.

DH and the DDs went to play in the water. My idea of relaxation was lounging on the chair, sipping a beverage and reading my book. From the first waiter that came by, I ordered a frozen strawberry margarita. When he returned, he came back with a regular margarita. I nicely asked him if they had strawberry margaritas (maybe they didn’t and he just didn’t think to tell me); he said yes and went back to trade. When he finally came back with my strawberry margarita, the bill was $9.25 US! Wow!!!! Was he punishing me or charging me for BOTH drinks? There were a lot of people here from the Carnival ship, and after striking up a conversation with one couple I asked about the price of their drinks. No, I was not alone in this beverage price-gouging. Buyer beware at the Royal Palms!

DD1's "foot-shot"

Me lounging at the Royal Palms

The water was beautiful here and we could see the Magic from where we were. Ahh….vacation!

DD1 was having so much fun with her friends in Ocean Quest that she whined about going back most of the time we were at this beach. It was frustrating. I think she wanted to come to the beach…Lord knows if she had asked to stay at Quest instead of coming with us, I probably would have let her. That option certainly would have been better than listening to her whine. She went in the water a few times, but spent the rest of the time on the other lounger with me.

At 2 pm we packed up, rinsed off and grabbed a taxi to the pier. At this time the skies had started to darken and it looked like rain. Before we got on the ship, we did a little souvenir shopping in the shopping area at the pier. DD2 got a stingray that said Grand Cayman, and DD1 got a large lollipop with a small stuffed stingray attached. Neither DH nor I purchased anything here. The price on DD2s stingray was reasonable, I thought, but DD1 paid $10 US for her tiny stuffed stingray and lollipop combo. There was no price on the item…that would be our fault for not asking in advance.

We got on the tender and headed back to the ship. Just as we were about to debark the tender, the rain started coming down. We saw it coming across the water and were hoping to get off the tender before it reached us, but it arrived just before. That’s okay, we didn’t get too wet. But, hey! What timing! We had a great day on Grand Cayman.

Coming up: Snails, Serbs, and Spa Time

I am an altered artist
Old 05-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #101
Nurseholiday
LOVE TO TRAVEL

Smile Love your posts

I just found your post and now can't wait till you post more... We are going on the Magic May 30th 2009.
Nurseholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #102
cyndid
Mouseketeer

Day 4...continued part II

We headed to the stateroom to get dressed for dinner. Dinner this evening was at Lumiere’s. DD1 did not want to eat with us. She wanted to go to Quest, so we obliged. DD2 also did not want to eat with us so we checked her into the Lab. Ivo made a show about our missing children. He said that next time DD1 came to dinner he was going to have to tie her to the chair. Part-way into dinner, DD2 paged us to go and get her. We thought she wanted to eat something better than Topsiders, but in the end we think she just didn’t want to miss the Cruise Fairy who tended to visit at dinnertime.

DD2 ordered the fish from the adult menu. DH and I had already ordered the escargot to share and a shrimp cocktail (of sorts) for me. I can’t find the picture I’m SURE I took of the Lumiere’s menu to state the real names. The fish was good, but not exceptional. DD2 loved the fish she got the first time she ordered from the adult menu, which was salmon. That must have been the day before…when we didn’t eat dinner. She is somewhat adventurous in her food selections. She ate hardly any of it and asked to be taken back to the lab. DH took her. (BTW…DH had whatever the lamb choice was that evening and really enjoyed it. I had the same fish as DD2.) DH said he wasn’t going to return because he didn’t want any dessert. So, I was left alone for dessert. For some strange reason I was compelled to order the chocolate cheesecake. Even more strange is that, although the cheesecake was not good AT ALL (How do you screw up cheesecake?), I also felt compelled to eat every last bite! I felt incredibly bloated after that…I wonder why? Walking the stairs regularly isn’t quite making up for this monumental shift in my eating habits. I decided to have REAL coffee tonight with my dessert. My thinking was that it would help me stay awake to experience the “nightlife” on the ship.

Somewhere in here we took DD2 to the crew pin trading event. DH thinks that the pin trading started at 7. I'm not sure if I rolled myself out of Lumiere's and went to pin trading and then went to my facial, or what. That seems the most likely.

After dessert I went to the spa for my FREE facial. (This morning I had scheduled it for tonight.) The facial was wonderful. My technician was from New Zealand, but of course I forgot her name. She did a scalp massage and a neck/shoulder massage as part of the facial. That was the best part! The walls in this area of the spa were really thin. I was distracted for a good portion of the massage by the male voices in the room next to us. It was hard to be fully relaxed in that situation. Maybe Disney wants to sound-proof the walls of the spa next time they’re in dry dock? When I had my birthday massage I had requested no sales pitch. I figured that the free facial was actually a sales technique, so I didn’t even bother to request “no pitch.” I was pleasantly surprised that the actual “pitch” was quite low-key and, had I not known better, I might not have know that was what it was. For kicks and giggles I asked her how much the Elemis moisturizer was that she used on my face. She replied straight-faced, "$125.” Equally straight-faced (and quite proud of my poker face), I replied, “no thank you.” Wow! Of course you know my opinion of their products was already colored by the awful stuff in the shower area. I wonder how much they wanted for that shampoo and conditioner?

After my facial I met DH at the room and we went to down to Diversions. Wow! It was quiet in there. Nothing happening yet. While there, we thoroughly enjoyed talking with the bartender, Yelena from Serbia. DH struck up a conversation with her about a friend of his that had just returned home from Belgrade where he spent 17 years mapping out their most holy site (in Orthodoxy) and creating a virtual tour of it. She seemed to be impressed with DHs knowledge of Serbia and the Orthodox religion. DH has a tendency to know a lot about a lot of things and can strike up a conversation with anyone.

While talking with Yelena, I asked her for the drink of the day and she nearly cut me down to size with her eyes. “The drink of the day? You can get that anywhere. I can ‘create’ something for you.” She was quite adamant, so I let her be creative. She returned later, after stepping into the back room (another man at the bar said that she stepped out because that was where the magic happened), with a beautiful yellow and orange frozen drink. It was awesome. I asked her what it was called and she did not have a name for it. She was also rather tight-lipped about what was actually in it.

We stayed at Diversions until just before 10:30 when I left to go get us seats in Rockin’ Bar D for the evening’s comedy show (Jeff Civilico…I have to check the spelling on his name.) Without thinking, I moved toward the middle in a row with tables that had absolutely no way for any human person to get in/out of once the remaining tables were filled. And, wouldn’t you know it, a couple of ladies came and sat down at the end. How would DH get in? I apologized in advance to the ladies letting them know that DH was going to be joining me. I’m sure they love me, because when DH arrived, they got up and bumped their own drink spilling it all over themselves and the gentleman in front of them. Sorry! While not directly my fault, I still felt somewhat guilty for it.

The comedy show was great. It lasted about a half an hour and segued into a Spring Break party. Oooooh…here was the nightlife I was looking for. I was going to get to DANCE! Not so. The Spring Break party was a very scripted thing with only prescribed dancing. No nightclub type atmosphere. So, after sticking it out for a little bit, we left. I was actually awake and did not want to go straight back to the room, so we headed over to Sessions where the Navigator said that they were having a tribute to the Rat Pack. I thought this was supposed to be a lounge act, but I think in reality it was just Rat Packish music playing in the background. Nothing exciting here, so we left. We passed a small dessert offering in the hallway outside Rockin’ Bar D, and I’m excited to say we did just that…passed it.

On the way back to the room we stopped and grabbed DD2. Once at the room, the Cruise Fairy had left a new lanyard for her on her bed (she had run out of space on her other one for her pins), and on DD1s bed was a lanyard and TWO pins! (What was the Cruise Fairy thinking? The one pin was the one she missed at dinner…but a second one?) Well, DD2 had a complete and utter meltdown. She was CERTAIN the Cruise Fairy was unfairly favoring her older sister. She was so out of sorts (and loud) that I once again felt terribly sorry for our neighboring staterooms as this meltdown occurred around midnight and the walls are thin. DD2 was punished be receiving an early curfew for the next day.

DD1 wound up closing down Ocean Quest and returned to the room around 1 am….I was quite asleep by that time.

Up next: Nothing like the smell of wet horses, except perhaps the feel of hundreds of mosquitoes making dinner out of you.

I am an altered artist
Old 05-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #103
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndid View Post

After my facial I met DH at the room and we went to down to Diversions. Wow! It was quiet in there. Nothing happening yet. While there, we thoroughly enjoyed talking with the bartender, Yelena from Serbia. DH struck up a conversation with her about a friend of his that had just returned home from Belgrade where he spent 17 years mapping out their most holy site (in Orthodoxy) and creating a virtual tour of it. She seemed to be impressed with DHs knowledge of Serbia and the Orthodox religion. DH has a tendency to know a lot about a lot of things and can strike up a conversation with anyone.

While talking with Yelena, I asked her for the drink of the day and she nearly cut me down to size with her eyes. “The drink of the day? You can get that anywhere. I can ‘create’ something for you.” She was quite adamant, so I let her be creative. She returned later, after stepping into the back room (another man at the bar said that she stepped out because that was where the magic happened), with a beautiful yellow and orange frozen drink. It was awesome. I asked her what it was called and she did not have a name for it. She was also rather tight-lipped about what was actually in it.

Up next: Nothing like the smell of wet horses, except perhaps the feel of hundreds of mosquitoes making dinner out of you.

Yelena was our most favorite bartender on board! She is totally awesome.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #104
Colmenares3
Mouseketeer

Cyndi, I'm glad you posted on facebook that you'd updated this. I have gotten out of the habit of visiting the DIS . . . thanks for the additional installments! Can you believe it's been seven months since we cruised?!?!?

ETA: I guess I should get a different sig, eh? LOL
Colmenares3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #105
cyndid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colmenares3 View Post
Cyndi, I'm glad you posted on facebook that you'd updated this. I have gotten out of the habit of visiting the DIS . . . thanks for the additional installments! Can you believe it's been seven months since we cruised?!?!?

ETA: I guess I should get a different sig, eh? LOL
It has been a rather cold and wet spring here in Ohio and I keep wishing I was on the Magic.

Time goes by quickly. I'm sooooo glad I journaled about the trip every day...even when I didn't want to make the time. If I hadn't, I would have forgotten most of it. As it is, I didn't make the time to journal about our time at WDW afterward, so only the big stuff will stand out. The little details are likely lost. I find that quite sad.

I'm glad we're able to stay in touch through Facebook. I wish more of our group were on it.

I am an altered artist

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: