Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #16
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

Yay, lots of pics! Now the fun begins!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
cmcvean
Mouseketeer

Thank you for this great trip report. We are leaving for the Eastern on Saturday! I LOVE the big pictures!! You have a beautiful family!!

Mom to 13, 12 10, 9

Jan 2002 - Polynesian Lagoon /Jan 2003 - Polynesian Concierge Lagoon /Jan 2004 - Pop, Polynesian Concierge Lagoon, ASM/May 2005 - Sheraton Vistana Resort/Jan 2007 - Pop Century/Aug 2007 - 10th Anniversary Disney Cruise /Nov 2008 - Eastern Carribean on the Magic! (Hurricane - turned into Western!) First trip to Ft. Wilderness Cabins Oct 29th for 9 nights!
cmcvean is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #18
jollytammy
Mouseketeer

Great TR!! Love the pics! Keep up the good work

Christmas Walt Disney World 2007, Disney Magic Eastern Jan. 2006, Disney Magic Western Jan. 3, 2004
jollytammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #19
cew2
Earning My Ears

We are going on the Magic in Jan. 09 . Staying at the Raddison as well. Love your report so far! Where did you get the lanyards around your neck?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #20
cyndid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cew2 View Post
We are going on the Magic in Jan. 09 . Staying at the Raddison as well. Love your report so far! Where did you get the lanyards around your neck?
DH became an Ebay addict. The lanyard that he and I wore are for Castaway Club members. Once you sail with Disney you are automatically in this club and the next time you go on a DCL cruise you get one free. DH bought us each one from Ebay. I can't tell you how many times I had to explain to people that it was in reality my FIRST Disney cruise.

The lanyards DD1 & 2 wore were also purchased on Ebay but are the kind that they sell at the parks for pin trading.

You can also purchase lanyards in the cruise terminal and also on the ship. However, note that they range in price from around $6.50- $8.50 ea. If you don't buy one in the terminal, you will have to wait until around 6:30 pm to buy one on the ship as the stores onboard are not allowed to be open while the ship is in port.

I am an altered artist
cyndid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #21
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I'm really enjoying your report! We're doing the double dip in a few weeks and can't wait. I'm also happy to hear that there are other people out there like me. I clean like a crazy woman before I leave for any trip. I clean the house--every nook and cranny. I also have this weird issue with cleaning our vehicle before we leave too. I don't know why, but I just can't put our luggage in to it if it's not clean. I need to go check out your site to see what it says about me, but I'm pretty certain I may have the same diagnosis as you.

Thanks for sharing your trip! I can't wait to hear more! I've been following Zweihund's too and love the writing style of both of you.

Susan
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder,
03/12 One Week in Maui, 07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay,
03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western,
07/13 Villas at Grand California, 03/14 5 Night DCL Miami,
05/14 Bay Lake Tower, 08/15 1st trip to Aulani

Upcoming Trips: 03/15 Disney Wonder out of Miami, 07/15 Maui
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #22
cyndid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypoor View Post

Thanks for sharing your trip! I can't wait to hear more! I've been following Zweihund's too and love the writing style of both of you.

Susan
Wow! That is high praise. Thanks.

I'm having withdrawals myself right now since Erica has not posted for several days.

I am an altered artist
Old 11-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #23
cyndid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcvean View Post
Thank you for this great trip report. We are leaving for the Eastern on Saturday! I LOVE the big pictures!! You have a beautiful family!!
Thank you.

I wish I could be going with you. It's really hard to be back.

I am an altered artist
Old 11-03-2008, 05:28 AM   #24
cyndid
Mouseketeer

Embarkation Part II

Side note: I think I forgot to add that one of the reasons we chose the cruise date we did, other than price and fitting into my publishing schedule, was that I was turning 40 on October 19! What a better way to celebrate than a Disney cruise!

Immediately after stepping foot on the ship, I went to Rockin’ Bar D to change our Palo reservation time. From home I was only able to get a 9 pm slot on my birthday when we booked. We normally eat at 5 pm and I am generally in bed no later than 10 pm. The 9 pm time was just not going to be a good fit. Fortunately, they were able to change it. Although, at the time I was worried because the CM was unable to get the computer to accept the change. She told me to just show up at 8. Eeek! What if they didn’t let us in? While there I also asked if they had any brunch availability as many on these boards have rated that even higher and I didn’t want to miss it. They did! We were given a 10:30 slot on the first sea-day. This cruise was already off to a wonderful, I mean “magic”al, start.

Our Midwest family wanted all the sun we could get, so we headed to Topsiders for lunch. I grabbed a little fish, tomato salad and shrimp. I was sooo proud of myself for choosing a healthy lunch. Ha! Just wait.

While at Topsiders Max came to our table and I was able to get a nice photo of him with the girls. This was already turning out fabulously! I was in heaven.

We dutifully took the advice here on the boards and wore our bathing suits under our clothes so we could go to the pools. The goofy pool was so empty that the DDs insisted to me that it was closed. So, we went to the Mickey pool instead. The girls enjoyed going down the slide. While in the Mickey pool, DD1 was the object of “attack” and got splashed over and over by a little boy (I got it on tape). At one point I had to laugh as she wagged her finger at him. I asked her later what she said. She told me that she told him she was going to tell his mother if he didn’t stop. How funny…I guess it was the babysitter in her. DD2 had hooked up again with her friend Hannah and had a blast. This would turn out to be the only time the girls used the slide during the whole cruise.

At about 1:45 they got anxious to go to the stateroom. I sent DH and the girls on ahead while I went to the spa for a tour. I had booked a 1 hr massage on my birthday and wanted to double check the time as well as see the spa. I am a bit of a spa aficionado and have visited and critiqued many over the years. I was led around the wonderful spa and encountered many people in the midst of a treatment. When I approached, the therapist would explain what she was doing – while the person was in the midst of the treatment! I hope they got a really good discount because I’m not sure I’d want people wandering in and out of my treatment. I was led to the Rainforest room where they tried to sell me a week-long pass. While the heated tile lounger was nice, I decided that I didn’t want to tie myself to the spa by purchasing the pass. (Little did I know…keep reading.) In the end I opted to add the pass to my massage for $8 and buy one more day pass for $15. My guide led me to one of the villas where I was told all about the alone time treatment. I had read about it on the DIS boards when someone posted that it was her “new favorite thing.” I wanted to do it…it was only $90 more than my current treatment…and it was my birthday after all. Well, when I had read about it on the boards, I told myself that I would upgrade ONLY if I lost an additional 5 lbs before the cruise. Ha-ha-ha-ha. That never happened. So, after debating if I should reward myself even though I didn’t reach this goal, and treat myself to a special birthday (I think I forgot that I was on a CRUISE for my birthday), the latter won out and I upgraded my appointment to include the alone time. During this tour they showed me to the gym as well, where I dutifully asked questions about classes and working out. I was NOT going to gain weight on this cruise after all…I had not lost my buffer weight so I had no wiggle room! (This would become literal…keep reading for my report about formal night.)

After leaving the spa, I headed to the stateroom. I was so overwhelmed by simply “being there” that I initially failed to notice the beautiful basket of flowers sitting on our coffee table. I finally noticed it (probably after some gentle guiding by DH). I grabbed the little attached card and it said something about my birthday and was signed from my Lover-boy Mickey. I know I saved it….if/when I find it I can add what it was verbatim.

I tried to start unpacking…beginning with the over-the-door organizer. A REAL lifesaver for us. I TRULY appreciated this tip (I read the tip first in the Passporter and then here on the boards). While I was unpacking, DH took DD2 down to the Lab to check it out. DH came back up and we all headed down to the Promenade lounge for our DIS meet at about 3:15. DD2 wanted to show DD1 the lab and DD1 wanted to check out Ocean Quest. So, we checked our brains at the door and let them go together and told them to come and find us at the Promenade lounge. Well, they didn’t come, and they didn’t come. DH went down to find them at the Lab (found out later he went to the Club instead of the lab) and they weren’t there! He was a little upset. Then he headed toward Quest and found them on their way back. Phew! Nothing like losing your children on the first day! This is also coming from one who did not want either of them to have checkout privileges. (We wound up not having a choice with DD1.) We enjoyed the DIS meetup, although my odd personality caused me to only gravitate to those that I had already met rather than introduce myself to new ones. Sorry to all of those that I did not get to meet. I regret it now. (I am a very gregarious person, but strangely silent and shy when I am in large groups of people I don’t know. How can one be loud, outgoing and yet also painfully shy in certain circumstances? I don’t know, but the label fits me.) We did meet Lynne and Len (orlandothebeagle) and I introduced DD1 to Lynne’s niece Shaunie. We also met the newlyweds (Melissa & Robert Harris – skylarr29) who were easy to pick out…could it have been the Mickey top hat and veil they were wearing? DH was looking forward to a beverage when he returned from hunting down the missing DDs. I got some sort of drink…not sure what I got, but by the time he got back they had closed the bar for the safety drill. Poor DH; he was rather disappointed.

Up next: Touching strangers, and behaving badly

I am an altered artist
Old 11-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #25
cew2
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info! I can not wait to read more! I am so excited for the trip but at the same time I do Not want it to end!
Old 11-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #26
orlandothebeagle
Gotta love the beagles.

Loving it cindy,even the clouds are pretty in the background of the pictures! I picked the good options until I got my formal dress over with, 1st day at work today so trying to be good! Last week I was back at the swimming/gym/running milarky and I thought oh whats that! I I know I feel hungry!! I dont think i felt that for a whole 2 weeks in Fl!! yes and they flowers are amazing!!

4 day Wonder,7 night west Magic,Magical west bound TA,Wonderful panama canal.
orlandothebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #27
LITTLEKID58
Platinum Castaway

The Tr and Pics are awesome.. TFS
Old 11-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #28
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!

I'm loving your trip report, especially all the pictures!! Can't wait for the next installment.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #29
cyndid
Mouseketeer

Embarkation Day III

We went back to our stateroom, donned the life vests, took the obligatory life vest photos and headed to our muster station. It was a painless drill, although I got a kick out of literally “rubbing” shoulders with the people next to me. The drill captain (if this is what he was called) wanted us so close to those next to us that we rubbed shoulders. What is wrong with me? I can’t introduce myself to strangers, but I can enter their space and rub their shoulders -literally? Maybe it was the drink from the Promenade lounge…yeah, that’s it. (I wonder if that muster family is on the DIS boards?)

After the muster drill we quickly went back to the stateroom. Halfway there I had DH and the girls hand me their vests so I could return them and asked DH to find us a good spot on deck 10 for the sail away party.

When I got up to deck 10 I found DH…right next to the Mitchells (diMitch). This would become a trend, too. We saw the Mitchells everywhere! Our spot was “pretty good” although I would have rather been aft a little more. Part of the stage was obstructed from where we were by the gazebo. But, we had a great time. When the countdown finally came, I had no idea how I would react….would I laugh? Cry? I didn’t know. I did have a monumentally large grin on my face. Then, THE magical moment came and I “woo-hooed” at the top of my lungs! I have it on tape.

Shortly thereafter Diane says, “We’re moving.” Of course we were moving…we were dancing. I gave her a dumb look. (Still the Promenade drink…must’ve been.) She repeated it and I noticed several people heading to the rail. Ohhhh, I GET it…we’re MOVING. He-he. So, my family headed to the railing where three (count them – 3) CMs were standing on the pier to wave us off. If I remember correctly, only one or two had the big white gloves on. What is this? Where was the crowd to see us off? I did not feel important. Oh well.

We continued dancing until the party was over and then returned to our stateroom to get ready for dinner.

Our first dinner was in Animator’s Palate. It was the show dinner yet I had to keep excusing myself and the children. First to reprimand them for bad behavior (Did I tell you that they like to pick at each other?), then to visit Mickey’s Mates to look around. DD1 had seasickness and moving around seemed to help her stave it off. While in Mickey’s Mates I purchased a scrapbook album and a paper set and had them put it aside for me to pick up after dinner. I was afraid they would all be gone. This was a hazard (maybe a blessing?) of reading these boards. I had read a post one time about a lady who wanted scrapbook stuff but told herself to wait and when she went back for it the next day it was gone!

Back to dinner. I didn’t miss the show at all. Of course I knew what was going to happen, but other than knowing in advance to tell my kids to look for our servers who were going to come out soon, I don’t think knowing changed anything. It was wonderful.

DH and I have gone back and forth as to the timing of the next event. The way I remember it….at dinner that night the man from the table next to us asked me if I was from the DIS boards. I said yes. He was too! It was GolfnPirate and his family (Jim, DW Michelle, DFIL, and DS Ryan). Of course it took me nearly all week to remember his actual name and stop referring to him as GolfnPirate. DH says that we met him at the DIS meet…possible. I AM the queen of short term memory. But I do swear that something similar to the above exchange really did happen at dinner. (Jim – you can tell me your version. LOL). How cool is that? A fellow DISer right next to us at dinner? Pretty cool, I think.

After dinner DH took DD1 to Ocean Quest and DD2 stayed with me in the stateroom while I unpacked the rest of our stuff.

I then took DD2 to Oceaneer Lab and walked around the ship. I looked around in the stores and stopped at the Drink Station on deck 9 for water.

Around 10 pm I went to get the girls from the clubs. I saw that they were having tons of fun and I didn’t want to drag them away. So I returned to the stateroom where DH was napping, and collapsed into bed. I told him he would have to round up the kids later. Not sure when, but he picked up DD2 and let DD1 come back on her own. She rolled in, so he said, around 1 am.

Next up: Happy Birthday to Me and Get Your Key Lime Pie On

I am an altered artist
Old 11-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #30
orlandothebeagle
Gotta love the beagles.

Yeah, great stuff. That was so funny in KWest whhen I thought you were trying to sell me something!! What am i like?

4 day Wonder,7 night west Magic,Magical west bound TA,Wonderful panama canal.
orlandothebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: