Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #676
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

Where my cousin lives in Brooklyn is a food market that has an eatery in the back, when you go outside to eat (in the winter theres a plastic enclosure to seal the heat) you have a very nice view of the statue of liberty! I will admit that I am one of those new yorkers that has never done the touristy things though! I want to one day. I took a school trip to Ellis island when I was in the 5th grade and there are some things i'll never forget, I loved that trip so thanks for the pictures it brought back some memories!

Next Trip: October 3, 2014!
Universal's Hard Rock Hotel, & Animal Kingdom Lodge!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #677
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

Diane,
I love the frame. I want that for Luke, I think his souvenir money will be to buy that! Can't wait to hear about the rest!

63 days!!!
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #678
dddisrunner
DIS Veteran

OK, moving right along! We stepped out of World of Disney and continued to Time Square which was about 6 blocks south...city blocks are HUGE my poor kids were dying at the end of theis trip we climbed an ENORMOUS amount of stairs and walked MILES! Eric did not use a stroller but he will DEFINITELY need one in Disney in the heat!!

OK back to the program..........

Times Square...what a FUN, BUSTLING place!! We had to give up our Lion King matinee becuase we canceled our Wednesday reservation but I did take a picture of the theater!

We stumbled onto M&M World, so of course we went in!!

We let each of the boys get a bag of M&M'S Bryan helped Matthew and I helped Eric..we set a limit of 1/2 pound each...well Eric got a half a pound and Matthew with his dads help got just shy of a pound! Ladies and gentlemen we spent $23 on M&M'S!!!!!!!!!

Us in the middle of Times Square....

The New Year's Eve ball is on top of the 2009 sign, can you see it?

We then ventured over to Rockefeller Center!

The skating rink!

We also saw the set of the Today Show! Not sure if you can make out the words on the wall, they say Today!....

A view inside the studio....if you look all the way in the back you can recognize the set!

By now we were starving and looking for a place to eat! I had written down the name of a place called John's pizzeria that is in an old church it was featured on the travel channel BUT silly me forgot that getting a table in the middle of the theater district an hour before performances start is IMPOSSIBLE!!! So where did we end up? The world's most expensive Ruby Tuesday's!!! Actually it was a great meal...expensive but great!! After dinner we headed back to the subway to get back to our hotel...we were BEAT!!

This is the Macy's in Herald Square, where the Macy's Thanksgiving parade is...the picture isn't great!

A picture of the street sign for "Fashion Avenue"

I will post the second day tommorow!!!

Enjoy!!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #679
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

NYC looks like so much fun

Did you try and do any of the character meets in World of Disney?

Security sounds incredible at Statute of Liberty.

It is a shame you can not go all the way to the top anymore, But at least you can still get part the way up there.

Love the boys holding their noses

I did not know there was a M&M World there. How cool. I have to add that to our list of things to do when we go.

Great pictures. Can't wait to see the 2nd day
Old 04-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #680
dddisrunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole786 View Post
Where my cousin lives in Brooklyn is a food market that has an eatery in the back, when you go outside to eat (in the winter theres a plastic enclosure to seal the heat) you have a very nice view of the statue of liberty! I will admit that I am one of those new yorkers that has never done the touristy things though! I want to one day. I took a school trip to Ellis island when I was in the 5th grade and there are some things i'll never forget, I loved that trip so thanks for the pictures it brought back some memories!
Isn't funny that you can live so close to something that people travel hundreds of miles to see but never take advantage of it! I am glad you liked the pictures of Ellis Island, it really was a GREAT and interesting place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvXU View Post
Diane,
I love the frame. I want that for Luke, I think his souvenir money will be to buy that! Can't wait to hear about the rest!

63 days!!!
Isn't that frame the BEST! I hope Luke does get it! What a fitting gift for a first timer to WDW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
NYC looks like so much fun

Did you try and do any of the character meets in World of Disney?

Security sounds incredible at Statute of Liberty.

It is a shame you can not go all the way to the top anymore, But at least you can still get part the way up there.

Love the boys holding their noses

I did not know there was a M&M World there. How cool. I have to add that to our list of things to do when we go.

Great pictures. Can't wait to see the 2nd day
Yeah, the M&M world was cute it reminded me of Club Cool in Epcot of course with M&M'S though not Coke!! I am not sure when but apparently they stopped letting you go to the top of the Statue a long time ago NYC is HUGE and there is so much to see make sure you give yourself plenty of time...we are still recovering from how much we got done in just 2 days!!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #681
dddisrunner
DIS Veteran

NYC day 2

NYC Day 2.....The second day had us traveling to Ground Zero first thing in the morning! We took the subway and I was amazed that the new subway station had been completed!

The last time we were here in 2002 it was empty and very depressing....I was so impressed with how much they are getting done on the new Freedom Tower....most of the site is blocked off but there is a few spots for pictures...

There is a very high police/security presence here....

This part of our travels really got to me. Here is the fire house that is right next to ground zero.......

The dedication plaque to all the firefighters that lost their lives...

A poster of all the pictures of the men that lost their lives...

It was amazing to look up after walking around and see grown men and women with tears in their eyes! A moment I will never forget!

After Ground Zero, we headed back to the subway to the Museum of Natural History! the boys were excited to see all the exhibits from Night at the Museum!

This was in a section about atoms and chemicals but I had to take it because it looks like little Mickey heads!

Eric saluting all the gems!!

This tree trunk was ENORMOUS, it was traced back to 550 AD and was cut down in 1890

The boys favorite part! Dum Dum want Gum Gum....

The museum was incredible and HUGE! We were there for 4 1/2 hours and could have easily stayed another hour or two! We had such fun!! After the museum we headed across the street to Central Park!

continued in the next post!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #682
dddisrunner
DIS Veteran

So after the museum, we headed into Central Park!

The great lawn is where all the concerts in Central Park take place!

This is Belvedere castle. If any of you saw the movie Stepmom with Julia Roberts, this castle was in the scene where the little boy gets lost while Julia is working on a photography session....

A view of the city from the castle...

Matthew walking the trails...

A view from the lake......

Alice in Wonderland Statue/Fountain! It was impossible to get a picture without kids in it!

The boys with a statue of Hans Christian Anderson...

Bryan and the boys waiting on me for snacks and drinks......

We then ventured over to the Balto statue...

After our walk through Central Park, we headed back up to the street to catch the subway back to our car and we passed the Central Park Zoo which is where Madagascar is based out of!!

All in all a GREAT trip!! I can't believe all we accomplished in 2 days!! Thanks for following along! Back to school/work tomorrow! I hope everyone enjoyed their Easter/ Spring Breaks!!!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #683
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Looks like you guys had a fantastic time in NYC! Lots of great pictures. You really make me want to go back one day and take the boys. There's so much I haven't seen!

And I love your new word - kagillion.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
Old 04-19-2009, 10:12 AM   #684
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you had a great time! I have to find the link to a pre-trip report I did last year when I was living in NYC. I basically did almost exactly what you did! My apt was down the street from the WTC, than I went to the museum, than walked to central park, than went to the zoo, than ended up at World of Disney (somehow all my travels i usually ended up here) lol! When I get home i'll see if i can find it!

Next Trip: October 3, 2014!
Universal's Hard Rock Hotel, & Animal Kingdom Lodge!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #685
shellywalker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddisrunner View Post
Thanks Shelly! When is your anniversary? Ours is 6/27!
Ours is 7/9
Old 04-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #686
shellywalker
Mouseketeer

Loved your little TR! We had gone to Ground Zero back in 2003, I would love to go back and see the progress! When we were there, there had been a family of one of the Firefighters getting a tour inside all the fenced off area! As the wife of a Firefighter, this was NOT easy for me to see! Bless those men and woman!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #687
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

You did pack in a ton of stuff in just two days!!! What a great time you had! You must have been exhausted when you got home!
Old 04-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #688
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

wow, you did so much in 2 days

Seeing that firestation was amazing. I can only imagine seeing it in person and tearing up as well

Museum looked like blast. Trent would love it there I am sure

Central Park is beautiful. I love all those statues.

2 Months today
Old 04-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #689
dddisrunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
Looks like you guys had a fantastic time in NYC! Lots of great pictures. You really make me want to go back one day and take the boys. There's so much I haven't seen!

And I love your new word - kagillion.
Ha! Thanks Carissa, I had to think of a word that would convey the enormous amount of steps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole786 View Post
Sounds like you had a great time! I have to find the link to a pre-trip report I did last year when I was living in NYC. I basically did almost exactly what you did! My apt was down the street from the WTC, than I went to the museum, than walked to central park, than went to the zoo, than ended up at World of Disney (somehow all my travels i usually ended up here) lol! When I get home i'll see if i can find it!
I would love to read that! Too funny about WOD I would end up there all the time too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellywalker View Post
Ours is 7/9
That is great! Enjoy your trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellywalker View Post
Loved your little TR! We had gone to Ground Zero back in 2003, I would love to go back and see the progress! When we were there, there had been a family of one of the Firefighters getting a tour inside all the fenced off area! As the wife of a Firefighter, this was NOT easy for me to see! Bless those men and woman!
It really is like night and day! I am glad they started working on the new tower! OMG, if I saw a family member actually walking through there I would be a mess for sure! Yes, bless all those men and women including your DH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
You did pack in a ton of stuff in just two days!!! What a great time you had! You must have been exhausted when you got home!
Thanks Jackie! I hope enjoyed the pics. of the Disney Store!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
wow, you did so much in 2 days

Seeing that firestation was amazing. I can only imagine seeing it in person and tearing up as well

Museum looked like blast. Trent would love it there I am sure

Central Park is beautiful. I love all those statues.

2 Months today
It was emotional thinking back to that day! The museum was great but it is HUGE! Central Park was AMAZING!! for 2 months!
Old 04-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #690
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

Great fun! I think NYC is a fun trip... so much to do. I am sad you did not get to see a show though...next time right?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: